• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario in Brawl? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
There's a few arguements and ideas already thrown into this thread, and my opinion is probably the same as them, maybe not. I just want to get my opinion in there.

Personally, I want Lucario to be in the game simply because he could be a great smash character. He's got the human-like body, and it just seems to me that he would make a great character in Brawl.

I don't know much about popularity of games or anything, but I've played the Ice Climber game. It wasn't great. Was Kid Icarus popular?...and is it a good game? I'd never even heard of it until I got the Pit Melee trophy. It's the same with the Ice Climbers. Never even heard of them before Melee came out. And when I unlocked Ness in Smash 64, I was thinking "Who the heck is he?" I really don't think popularity has anything to do with characters in Brawl. I think it has to do with possibility. Did the ICs have ice-powers in the Ice Climber game? No. Did Pit dual-wield? I don't think so. Lucario could be so much more than just a fighting Pokemon character.

That kinda didn't make sense, but let's just say this: Olimar is REALLY SMALL and the Pikmin run around and attack for Olimar. How did they improvise? They made Olimar the size of Mario and then made the Pikmin basically become Olimar's weapons.

I dunno. You can probably argue against my opinion easily.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
Croagunk for Brawl. The only Poison and Fighting type.
Houndoom for Brawl. The only Dark and Fire type.
Weavile for Brawl. The only Dark and Ice type.
Lantern for Brawl. The only Water and Electricity type.
So other pokemon are unique... good for them, it doesn't mean Lucario isn't.

Now, go ahead and list those 4 and Lucario in order of popularity.

P.S. Lanturn isn't the only Water/Elec type...
P.S.S. Neither is Houndoom
P.S.S.S. Neither is Croagunk... jesus, could you fail any harder?

P.S.S.S.S. Oh hell, just to finish it off... Neither is Weavile...

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I know nothing about pokemon, but I got a little question.

If this Lucario fella is so popular... why have I never heard of him?

I had heard of Mewtwo before I saw him in Melee.
Lots of people never heard of Pichu. I still remember when my friend played Melee with me after I had unlocked eveyone. He recognized Pikachu, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff, then said "what is that?" at Pichu. I said "That's Pichu...it's just a baby Pikachu". So then he was like "Really?! They don't put Marill or Raichu in the game (Pokémon he knew of) but they put that in?!" And he wasn't judging Pichu based on how much it sucked in Melee (he never even seen Pichu in this game or anywhere else before).

Yes, Pichu has been featured in the anime...like, what, 3-5 times and in a few Pokémon shorts? They made it into Melee. If Pichu was popular enough to make it into Melee, why didn't my friend know who he was?

Just because you don't know who Lucario is does not make it any less popular...WITH THE POKéMON COMMUNITY! Any generaly gamer who only knows of Pokémon will not know much about Lucario. Anyone who has played any Pokémon game recently (I'm not even talking Diamond/Pearl, it could be Pokémon Ranger or Mysterious Dungeon) will know something about Lucario.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace

Croagunk for Brawl. The only Poison and Fighting type.
Houndoom for Brawl. The only Dark and Fire type.
Weavile for Brawl. The only Dark and Ice type.
Lantern for Brawl. The only Water and Electricity type.

I can go on for this for quite a while.
Except. They dont have a fanbase AND are all Pokemon who are just part of the crowd so to speak.

Pikachu, as THE Pokemon who represents the series got in, he was popular, and he had fans, people who watched the Anime.

Mewtwo, he was a Movie pokemon, and stood out because he was different, he could talk, and he had a fanbase.

Jigglypuff, very popular in the Anime, has like the others a unique personality and a Fanbase.

Pichu was just popular because he was Pikachu's Prevolution.

Now Lucario, like Mewtwo apeared in a movie, and could talk, has his own personality and a fanbase, a popular Pokemon who also scored well on Sakurai's poll.

Add in that he is pretty unique and as a fighting Pokemon could have a pretty cool move set along with Aura Sphere makes him a solid choice to be put in Brawl.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Really, there is NO good reason to put him in. The only thing he has going for him is popularity, which doesn't matter much seeing how Sakurai makes popular Pokémon into a Pokéball. The no playable legendaries thing is **** because of Mewtwo. Lucario is nothing special, really.
You are aware that every single playable pokemon character in SSB and SSBM is based off how how popular they are in games and in the anime/movies? The reason that is;because there are 100's of pokemon and they have to find something to make them more distinctive than other pokemon. That distinction is popularity.

If that's not true then please tell me why Pikachu got in SSB when there were more important pokemon like Mewtwo and the legendary trio. Tell me why Jigglypuff got in. It's not important at all it's just a generic weak pokemon. Pichu regardless of being a clone was very popular at the time of Melee's release.

The only pokemon that should have merit for it's inclusion, in your eyes should be Mewtwo.

I honestly hate Lucario and well Pokemons(new ones) in general, and Deoxis was more popular. I don't really see his massive popularity, i didn't even know about Lucario until i joined in this forum.
Do you see the problem with that viewpoint? The problem is that you are no longer a fan of pokemon. There are fans who started with DP, should they be denied one of the most popular new pokemon just because those who no longer even play the games find him unappealing?

You could say, "well what about the other generations of pokemon" The fact is that Nintendo is no longer getting sales from RBY, GSC, RSE and FR&LG (is lessoning). As of right now DP is the most popular and best selling pokemon game.

It seems to me that many of the people posting against Lucario in this are just pissy that Lucario could be replacing Mewtwo (In a sense at the last unlockable pokemon).

Pokemon is the 2nd BESTSELLING franchise in the WORLD do you think Gamefreak's pokemon would have gotten the sales to get that position if it wasn't for appealing to new audience members to buy the games? Many of people posting against Lucario no longer even play the games, they aren't contributing to the sales.

Why on Earth should Nintendo appeal to you? SSBB do you know what it's being made for? MONEY that's all that matters to a company. Having Lucario in Brawl promotes one of Nintendo's biggest money makers at this time; Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. If you think Lucario doesn't have a chance, just try looking at it from a different viewpoint maybe you'll see the light.

-Knight

PS. I know what I just typed may be considered tl;dr for some but please don't even comment on what I just said unless you read all of it. Thanks.

Ca$hoholic

Smash Journeyman
The Cold north! even though it is pretty hot...
The main reason is mostly that fact that Lucario was one of the first pokemon confirmed of the 4 generation! (With munchlax,bonsly, weavile etc.)
And he fits perfect,with the moves, the style,that fact tat he has a movie & for its massive fanbase.
I myself loved mew2 in melee,but i rather would have lucario then him, even though i would like both.

:034:

Smash Hero
I don't know much about popularity of games or anything, but I've played the Ice Climber game. It wasn't great. Was Kid Icarus popular?...and is it a good game? I'd never even heard of it until I got the Pit Melee trophy. It's the same with the Ice Climbers. Never even heard of them before Melee came out. And when I unlocked Ness in Smash 64, I was thinking "Who the heck is he?" I really don't think popularity has anything to do with characters in Brawl. I think it has to do with possibility. Did the ICs have ice-powers in the Ice Climber game? No. Did Pit dual-wield? I don't think so. Lucario could be so much more than just a fighting Pokemon character.
Ah, that's the point, he COULD be. In my opinion, Lucario COULD work very well as a character. But really, so could ANY OTHER fighting-type Pokémon that actually have something going for them.

For an instance, the idea of Lucario is aura's right? I love that! They could incorporate that, but that's only one gimmick. Then he has his spherical form. He could have all his attacks working around an axis, making all his kick and punching combo's seem like spherical attacks from the side.

But nobody really EVER thought of this. They'd rather give him some crappy standard moves and just have him in because they like him. Which really has no value. Whatsoever.

So other pokemon are unique... good for them, it doesn't mean Lucario isn't.

Now, go ahead and list those 4 and Lucario in order of popularity.
Just... 4...? You're not paying attention, are you. But okay, a more popular Pokémon than Lucario who has a unique double type, even though said double type has NO influence on Smash WHATSOEVER, which was the whole POINT of me being SARCASTIC.

Really, use your brain. The types so far have been:

Electric.
Normal.
Psychic.
Grass.
Water.
Fire and Flying.

Out of 6 Pokémon, ONE has a double type and it's not unique. Does a unique double type matter? No.

Oh, one more thing. You wanna know about Lucario's popularity right? Well, let's look at the sales for his movie and compare it to others!

Year Title Earnings
1 1998 Mewtwo Strikes Back ¥7.54 billion
2 1999 Revelation Lugia ¥6.36 billion
3 2007 Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai ¥5.0 billion
4 2000 ENTEI Lord of the Unknown Tower ¥4.85 billion
5 2003 The Wishing Star of Seven Nights: Jirachi ¥4.5 billion
6 2004 Sky-Splitting Visitor: Deoxys ¥4.38 billion
7 2005 Mew and the Wave-Guiding Hero: Lucario ¥4.3 billion
8 2001 Celebi: A Timeless Encounter ¥3.9 billion
9 2006 Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea: Manaphy ¥3.4 billion
10 2002 Guardians of the Water City: Latias and Latios ¥2.67 billion

...Whoops.

Talking Curtain

Smash Cadet
Actually, you're saying the exact same things as the Lucario fanboys... How about I make a template?

"Maybe we should put <insert pokémon with unique type> in Brawl. He could have a very original moveset! <insert said pokémon> for Brawl!"
Yeah, that was internet sarcasm.... I will make it more clear next time.
plus missingno should never be seen outside of red and blue ever again....ever.

Machete

Smash Ace
Don't compare the retro characters with any other one.

I hate Lucario. I don't know why, maybe because he's the most overrated pokémon ever. Many people think he's cool... :confused: I don't think a blue dog with shorts is cool. He's a generic pokémon. And 4th gen. Yes, Jiggly is also a generic pokémon, but she's of the 1st gen. Everyone knows her. Lucario won't be more unique than other pokémons.

As many other people, I'd prefer to see a cooler non-1st gen pokémon. Deoxys, for example, was cool. He's a freaking alien with mutant abilities (he has 4 forms). THAT'S unique. Deoxys is also pretty popular. But he's a pokéball.

Also, I'm sure a lot of pokémons of the 4th gen are WAY cooler than Lucario. And more unique than him.

BUT, I don't put the characters in the game. As long as Jigglypuff and Mewtwo return, then I don't mind for the non-1st gen pokémon. Lucario is the most solid option, with Deoxys, Gardevoir and Munchlax out. The newest pokémon fans want Lucario in the game. OK, Lucario for Brawl. But, removing a much more popular and well-known pokémon like Jigglypuff or Mewtwo for him is a blasphemy. Pokémon is the 2nd biggest franchise of all time. It deserves 5 characters.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
Sorry there Flying dutchman, you lost all your credibilty cited that Houndoom, Lanturn, and Weavil were all unique type combonations...

Every single one of your "examples" was a false statement...

Oh... and how much money did the Movie about Machamp make? How about the Movie about Ponyta? Whats that... they weren't deemed popular enough to star in a movie... pity...

Mysteryfox1

Smash Ace
The Netherlands, Noord-Brabant, Aarle Rixtel
uhm they're more then enough pokemon to choose from. I don't see why Lucario is unique only because he haves two types that noone else has in that combination. Do you see me saying Articuno for brawl just because it's a legandary ice bird that appeared in a movie? Everyone says the 4t gen needs representation they already have it in pokeball form remember Piplup?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Okay guys. Seriously. Why are you discussing types? Sakurai does not give a crap about types or how unique the Pokemon is, which are clearly Pokemon tactical viewpoints. Only two things matter in Smash Bros: its popularity and importance.

And fyi, Pichu was in for two reasons: He can easily be a clone, and he was fairly popular as well (even sporting his own little movies).

Smash Hero
whoeverthehell said:
If that's not true then please tell me why Pikachu got in SSB when there were more important pokemon like Mewtwo and the legendary trio. Tell me why Jigglypuff got in. It's not important at all it's just a generic weak pokemon. Pichu regardless of being a clone was very popular at the time of Melee's release.
Okay, I'll tell you. The anime appearances. There, I said it. But Lucario wasn't in any anime episode. Not to mention that there were better selling movies with more popular characters made into a Pokéball.

Dracothing said:
Lucario is the most sensible choice after Pikachu, Jiggly, and Mewtwo. That is why he might be in.
Says who?

the first guy said:
The only pokemon that should have merit for it's inclusion, in your eyes should be Mewtwo.
He made it. Huh. Fancy that.

Actually, I also think Arceus should be playable due to having the whole D/P myths and story centered around him and being the most important Pokémon due to being GOD. But let's not get into that.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
You are aware that every single playable pokemon character in SSB and SSBM is based off how how popular they are in games and in the anime/movies? The reason that is;because there are 100's of pokemon and they have to find something to make them more distinctive than other pokemon. That distinction is popularity.

Do you see the problem with that viewpoint? The problem is that you are no longer a fan of pokemon. There are fans who started with DP, should they be denied one of the most popular new pokemon just because those who no longer even play the games find him unappealing?

You could say, "well what about the other generations of pokemon" The fact is that Nintendo is no longer getting sales from RBY, GSC, RSE and FR&LG (is lessoning). As of right now DP is the most popular and best selling pokemon game.

It seems to me that many of the people posting against Lucario in this are just pissy that Lucario could be replacing Mewtwo (In a sense at the last unlockable pokemon).

Pokemon is the 2nd BESTSELLING franchise in the WORLD do you think Gamefreak's pokemon would have gotten the sales to get that position if it wasn't for appealing to new audience members to buy the games? Many of people posting against Lucario no longer even play the games, they aren't contributing to the sales.

Why on Earth should Nintendo appeal to you? SSBB do you know what it's being made for? MONEY that's all that matters to a company. Having Lucario in Brawl promotes one of Nintendo's biggest money makers at this time; Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. If you think Lucario doesn't have a chance, just try looking at it from a different viewpoint maybe you'll see the light.

-Knight

PS. I know what I just typed may be considered tl;dr for some but please don't even comment on what I just said unless you read all of it. Thanks.

In case people missed it. I wonder if these "Lucario-haters" will be mildly surprised if Lucario does make an appearance in Brawl as a playable character. He almost seems like a shoe in character to me. I know people really hate this "Lucario replacing Mewtwo" thing a bit far, but if you really want to know, after the game comes out and if the rumor is confirmed to be true talk to Sakurai yourself.

Kor

Smash Apprentice
No one said Sakurai DID give a crap about types.

The statement made was Lucario isn't Unique, and it was proven false.

Shuma

Smash Hero
First than all, i'm not arguing if Lucario is in the game or not, he probably is a new PC, so whatever. What i'm arguing it's if it's "fair" that he replaces mewtwo like a million prophets say.

Also, those that started with D/P must also know of Mewtwo, who is, if i'm not wrong, the second most powerfull pokemon(second to Arceus).

It seems to me that many of the people posting against Lucario in this are just pissy that Lucario could be replacing Mewtwo
Yes, i am. Mewtwo is mewtwo and i don't see why a dog should replace him.

Again, i know he probably is in the game and i know why, however my point is, that Lucario shouldn't replace Mewtwo.

Smash Hero
Sorry there Flying dutchman, you lost all your credibilty cited that Houndoom, Lanturn, and Weavil were all unique type combonations...
Yes, I was wrong. Their prevolutions got them as well. Alright, sure. I'll give you that one.

Oh... and how much money did the Movie about Machamp make? How about the Movie about Ponyta? Whats that... they weren't deemed popular enough to star in a movie... pity...
Uhm. Lucario got popular BECAUSE he was in the movie.

...NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

I wonder if these "Lucario-haters" will be mildly surprised if Lucario does make an appearance in Brawl as a playable character.
I wonder if these Lucario fanboys will be mildly suprised if Lucario becomes a Pokéball.

As an answer, I will be suprised. Then I will admit defeat, apologize and make a post on SmashBoards excusing myself and saying I am an idiot.

Somebody sig that for me.

I actually missed a couple of arguments from that too.

Kirby knight said:
Ah yes, Lucario is from DP and recognizable as a 4th gen Pokémon, no doubt. But really, so was Munchlax, the 3 starters and the three legendaries: Darkrai, Dialga and Palkia.

EDIT: I would also like to include this. A convo between me and Fawriel about Lucario.

Flying Dutchman says:
Give me three good reasons why Lucario should be in Brawl that I can't debunk.
Without me using my 'Lucario's popularity only gets him into a Pokéball, especially seeing how his popularity is lower than Deoxys.'

Fawriel says:
It will make a lot of people very happy.

Flying Dutchman says:
It will piss off a lot of people as well...

Fawriel says:
He's a furry.
..okay, that argument counters itself.

Flying Dutchman says:
It does.

Fawriel says:
Erm.
He's blue.
And he has dreads.
He is much needed representation for the black people.
Oh yeah, baby.

Flying Dutchman says:
Shenanigans, Fawriel! Shenanigans I say!

Kor

Smash Apprentice
Uhm. Lucario got popular BECAUSE he was in the movie.

...NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
I would imagine that he was popular with somebody... Creators... Artists... Something before the movie...

I doubt they just put 493 names in a hat and drew one out.

Joymechpoop

Smash Cadet
Dutchman ivysaur is grass and poison that's not really important just pointing it out.

Anyways Heracross should be in brawl because he is the only bug/fighting type and he is one of few Pokemon who learn Megahorn and his attack is very very high making him extremely unique!

Lucario fails on so many levels I bet all of you he won't be playable. He'll definetly appear as a trophy or pokeball though.

Smash Hero
I would imagine that he was popular with somebody... Creators... Artists... Something before the movie...

I doubt they just put 493 names in a hat and drew one out.
...I don't think I'll reply to this. Mostly because... Well... What?

...Yeah...

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Dutchman ivysaur is grass and poison that's not really important just pointing it out.

Anyways Heracross should be in brawl because he is the only bug/fighting type and he is one of few Pokemon who learn Megahorn and his attack is very very high making him extremely unique!

Lucario fails on so many levels I bet all of you he won't be playable. He'll definetly appear as a trophy or pokeball though.
Again, I'll reiterate. Pokemon stats have nothing to do with Smash Bros.

Stop thinking in terms of Pokemon, and think in Smash Bros, please. Lucario will be a playable character. Not because of his type or his moveset, but because of his popularity and representation of his generation. I also don't give a **** if someone here doesn't like Lucario or not. That's completely irrelevant compared to the Japanese masses and Sakurai himself. I will chew my words and submit a public apology for letting common sense dictate my opinions, if I'm wrong.

Mysteryfox1

Smash Ace
The Netherlands, Noord-Brabant, Aarle Rixtel
uhm they're more then enough pokemon to choose from. I don't see why Lucario is unique only because he haves two types that noone else has in that combination. Do you see me saying Articuno for brawl just because it's a legandary ice bird that appeared in a movie? Everyone says the 4t gen needs representation they already have it in pokeball form remember Piplup?
Qouting myself because I don't think people saw it.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Either way, i think no matter how much we argue, we can all agree Lucario is pretty much a shoe-in. Am I right?

Smash Hero
Stop thinking in terms of Pokemon, and think in Smash Bros, please. Lucario will be a playable character. Not because of his type or his moveset, but because of his popularity and representation of his generation. I also don't give a **** if someone here doesn't like Lucario or not. That's completely irrelevant compared to the Japanese masses and Sakurai himself. I will chew my words and submit a public apology for letting common sense dictate my opinions, if I'm wrong.
There are more popular Pokémon to choose from. Just look at the numbers of sales in Japan - Lucario's movie ranked lower than most. Deoxys was higher. He got Pokéball. If you wanna look at 4th gen - Darkrai's movie got THIRD. HIGHER than Lucario's.

jakemcnugget

Smash Rookie
new pokemon will not ever deserve a spot in brawl.
pikachu, jigglypuff, and pokemon trainer; that covers all of the pokemon franchise that actually matters.

so the answer to your question, is youre already right. he doesnt deserve a spot.

Ca$hoholic

Smash Journeyman
The Cold north! even though it is pretty hot...

Even though how much i want lucario in, i would never said that he Will come to brawl, hes popular, strong & i just wish to see a match between lucario & sonic,but it doesnt work that way. Just look at those "n00bs" Sayin' waluigi 4 brawl... (even though they where rediculously stupid :p)

And joymechpoop can be in an idea here, i mean sakurai kinda hintet people very good with the,meta knight,pit & Pikmin trophies and their playable things. (i believe there a reason) And he did make heracross, i might think that he would put in heracross, if the pokemon series stopped, but because of Lucario & Weavile i doupt it.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Qouting myself because I don't think people saw it.
Read what I said in my big post.

There are more popular Pokémon to choose from. Just look at the numbers of sales in Japan - Lucario's movie ranked lower than most. Deoxys was higher. He got Pokéball. If you wanna look at 4th gen - Darkrai's movie got THIRD. HIGHER than Lucario's.
Just because other movies had better sales does not necessarily make the pokemon that were featured in them more popular than Lucario.

Can you be honest with me? Have you seen how Nintendo is hyping up Lucario with all the merchandise/game cameos/etc? It seems that they want Lucario to be the poster boy of Diamond and Pearl and guess what; it's working.

-Knight

Joymechpoop

Smash Cadet

I was being sarcastic because you guys are like "HES UNIQUE AND POPULAR LOLDHFHE"

You're gonna be wrong and you're a furry. You look up erotic pictures of Lucario.

The only thing Lucario has going for him is popularity and Pokemon who had ALOT more popularity like Meowth and Deoxys are Pokeballs. He had a movie wow big ****ing deal there are 10 movies so far. Hey Dialga had it's own movie lets put him in Brawl. It's not like size is a problem look at Bowser in sunshine lollolol. The 4th gen certainly a rep right? I mean look at all the new features it added like....uhh nothing! There was the physical and special split but that was a change not really a new addition and most people who played DP didn't even notice it. It's not like the 3rd gen added major additions to gameplay like Abilities and Natures! It's not Like GSC added Breeding, A new stat, shinies and so much stuff other stuff!

fail/10

Joymechpoop

Smash Cadet
Dialga, Palkia, Turtwig, Chimchar and piplup are the poster boys of DP kirby knight.

DIALGA FOR BRAWL.

Smash Hero
Read what I said in my big post.

Just because other movies had better sales does not necessarily make the pokemon that were featured in them more popular than Lucario.

Can you be honest with me? Have you seen how Nintendo is hyping up Lucario with all the merchandise/game cameos/etc? It seems that they want Lucario to be the poster boy of Diamond and Pearl and guess what; it's working.

-Knight

No, I haven't. Whatever they're trying to do in America obviously isn't working here in Europe.

*scratches head* I'm curious now. He had game cameo's?

And Deoxys was actually voted most popular movie Pokémon on a Japanese website.

Smash Hero
Another reason why Lucario is a bit "special" is that part that you cant get the pokemon unless you get an egg from a guy, meaning hes not like other pokemon being caught. Plus that fact that the D/P Pokemon Master is using it as hers main pokemon!
Lies. All of it.

Happiny was also only avaible through an egg. Happiny for Brawl!

And Cynthia's strongest Pokémon and the one she used in the anime is Garchomp.

Pokec

Smash Journeyman
Well, Lucario was promoted rather a lot for the 4th generation pokemon -- he was seen in the crappy anime and was one of the first few to be revealed before the new gen. AS well, Lucario IS a fighting-type.....his inclusion would make sense in Brawl.

I'm all for it. I really wouldn't mind if he made it.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I didn't read through this whole argument, and I think we should just end it and just wait and see, seeing as how no one is convincing anyone. However, in recent updates, Sakurai seems to be leaning toward more familiar aspects of games. Ask a random guy on the street who Jigglypuff and Mewtwo are, and they'll probably know. But I don't think you could say the same for Lucario, despite him being really popular among Pokemon players this generation. So...meh.

SilverBlaze

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu - made the Smash Roster by being the face of Pokémon. Easy enough to understand.

Jigglypuff - was included solely for popularity reasons. She was the 2nd most popular Pokémon in Japan at the time of 64, and thus was included. Many saw this as a travesty at first, but I can't imagine Smash without her now.

Pichu - made Melee for a few, albeit bad, reasons. It made a 2nd Gen rep, because it was popular and was the face of the newly introduced 'baby' Pokémon. Again, Pichu was one of the more widely recognized Pokémon characters, although I think its entry was stupid.

Mewtwo - Not as popular, but makes up for it by being a complete badass. He is one of the most powerful Pokémon in existence, and was the first Pokémon villian that wasn't a person. He was probably included to get an 'evil' Pokémon on the Smash Roster. He also has a wide array of moves, that unfortunately were not included in Melee.

Now for the big debate...

Lucario - He is by far the most likely Pokémon addition to the Brawl roster. He is strikingly popular, namely for being the face of the 4th generation. While popularity is not always important, it is a huge factor in choosing Pokémon, seeing as how there are currently almost 500 of the critters. Another plus to Lucario is his wide array of moves.

Obviously being a fighting type means nothing to Sakurai, as all previous Smash Pokémon have not been fighters. I'd be shocked if another Pokémon was not added to the Brawl roster, and the most likely candidate for inclusion is Lucario, plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom