• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Doubles Export: Metaknight

iRJi

Smash Champion

Metaknight

Rating:

Overview of information

To make mine fast, Lucario and MK have amazing team work.

One thing that Metaknight brings lucario is stage control. Metaknight's ability to make people shield in doubles really comes in handy. Also, due to the fact that Metaknight can cover many, many options, all lucario has to do is play support on most occasions and clean up when metaknight leaves himself open. The best thing that this team brings is the Anubis strategy, and because of this it makes Lucario teamning with Metaknight one of the best possible team combinations.

The main downfall is the stock tanking for this team if you are not using the Anubis strategy. Although Lucario is almost considered a heavy weight,he still isn't heavy enough to support as an amazing stock tank overall, although he can do the job.
I'm actually against pure planking, there are a lot of calls that I think MK really has to think on (like D3 CG -> super deadly kill move from partner), even if it isn't strictly "grab ****". So I think the best solution is for MK to actually get the partner in crime so to speak in dthrow or some time consuming move that does some good damage as well, to let you have the optimum time to get away from the other opponent, I think also there's a strong and weak side depending on which side Lucario resides in relation to the planking MK, a really good planker can chase off edgeguarders with the benefit of some really good anti-edgeguarding tools, while Lucario in turn while onstage can harass the "anti-planker" pretty badly as well as long as he's on the side his partner's planking on.
Whenever I get home I'll gladly give my two cents on the strategy because from what I read none of y'all understand how the Anubis strategy quite work. I'll be sure to go in depth why mk/wario/gnw are lucario best option for a teammate. Anyways who named it Anubis? Me and lee didn't get a say on the name :(.

Anyways the strategy is what I consider a glass cannon and is thus pretty fragile. The team also require alot of trust and communication (me and lee are constantly talking whenever we team). The lucario needs to trust the tank to not get hit and the tank needs to trust the lucario to be able to handle the 2v1 since helping him may possibly jeopardize the tank and if the tank dies first the team completely crumbles. So tanks, let the lucario do his thing and avoid all conflicts. The Anubis strategy is basically abusing lucario aura by permanently making him significantly stronger by having a teammate not lose a stock. Instead of relying on the opponent stock to manipulate lucario aura, he instead relies on his teammate to have a significant stock advantage thus giving him a boost. Easiest way for the tank to hold stock is through planking thus the most popular methods. Anyways pros and cons for the Anubis Strategy.

Pros:
  • Ridiculously early percent kills (Fully charged Aura sphere will kill around 50% if Lucario at 1 stock 70% and his partner still has all 3 of his)
  • Lucario an underused character so few knows the match up very well
  • Not a commonly used strategy (Element of surprise thus highly likely you'll win game 1)
  • Lucario gets to play aggressive with almost no repercussion (Lucario losing a stock makes the strategy even more effective)

Cons:
  • Difficult to pull off at high level play (Lucario is forced to do basically 2v1 a majority of the time)
  • Requires alot of trust between partners (Lucario got to trust the tank to stay alive, while the tank is forced to trust the lucario to handle the 2v1 regardless of whats happening)
  • Very fragile is known as a glass cannon (If the tank loses the stock first you're even in a more dire situation then normal as Lucario is now 20% weaker)
  • Suspect able to ohkos (one hit ko's) IE omnigay/buckets

Overall I believe only a few lucario mains can do this as effectively as lee. To be frank only a few lucarios are comparable to lee but if the team is done correctly I doubt you'll lose game 1 as the strategy is so unique it's difficult to adjust to. (Proven true as Lee and I have had major success for the last couple of months as seen in winterfest and nokoast2).

Now let's look up possible partners that can tank efficiently.

The first obvious choice would be of course metaknight.
Reason why are the following:
  • Easy to avoid conflict via through planking/scrooging
  • Easy to rack up damage on off stage opponents
  • Easy to gimp a majority of the cast
  • Can save lucario from getting gimped

Overall covers alot of weaknesses that lucario has such as building up damage and lucario tend to be gimped early. Only major weakness is mk lack stamina but through planking you shouldn't worry about getting hit to often even against other mks.

Other effective characters for the anubis strategy are gnw and wario.

GnW advantages:
  • Easy to plank (Almost as effective as MK)
  • Difficult to gimp
  • Good ko power
  • Buckets!!!!
  • Can save lucario pretty easily
  • Bucket braking

GnW another popular partner for lucario, GnW only real weakness is that he's a very difficult character to play effectively and like mk, GnW is relatively light but with the addition of an ohko he may possibly be a better team mate then mk. Also if the gnw dies first it's easier to make a comeback due to gnw superior ko power over mk and the potential to kill at zero with the bucket.

Now to cover wario pros and cons:
Very similar to gnw except no buckets or an effective way to avoid damage (ie planking etc etc)
But in return you get superior air mobility (which helps avoid damage and also helps to tack on damage so lucario can save easy kill moves such as d-air and f-smash). Also wario natural high stamina makes him a good tank and he also got hard hitting moves such as u-air, f-smash and his oh so powerful fart which in general makes lucario job abit easier then say if the lucario teamed with a mk or gnw. But downfall is that this team setup is more prone to have the non-lucario main die first.
(Sorry about the ugly format still on my iPhone)

These 3 characters IMO are Lucario best partners.
Updated my previous post with more detail recommend everyone to read post3433 if you enjoy long reads :). But nah in all seriousness if you're looking for an opinion from someone who frequently teams with possibly the best lucario I recommend y'all to read post 3433.

Also sorry about any grammatical/spelling error difficult to write long messages on my iPhone. But yeah got bored at work so thought I could help the lucario boards.

Anyways IMO lucario is a relatively poor character choice in doubles when not doing the Anubis strategy mainly due to the fact of his fluxuation in attacks and though having relatively good stamina is a poor choice to tank due to his aura mechanism. He also have relatively low killing power when at low percent and is suspectable to early gimps due to his predictable recovery. Regardless when doing the Anubis strategy lucario loses a lot of his disadvantages while further emphasizing his advantages. Though still highly prone to gimps the lost of the stock can be ignored due to what he gains. Overall I believe the Anubis strategy is lucario best option in teams.

Possible Counterpick:
Any map with large blast zones and are flat (Example Final Destination is possibly your best counter pick)
Maps to Avoid:
Brinstar, Frigate, Rainbow Cruise etc etc any map that are relatively small and limits lucario recovery option. If playing against a team with a snake I would recommend banning Frigate. Against possibly double MK teams I would ban Rainbow Cruise and any team consisting of Wario you should ban Brinstar/Cruise (all up to you).

(Sorry about my lengthy posts, just trying to cover everything I can think of.)
OH ban stages that me and Lee commonly do are Frigate, Halberd, Delfino, and Battlefield. And we tend to stick to neutrals for our CPs. Since the strategy is so fragile already why risk the chance of something random to effect it even more.
I will get into it in a sec actually. FIRST OFF, I DID NOT NAME SEARCH!

Lol I'm everywhere and people ask if I name search, and the answer is close to never. I don't name search, however I have a sheeeet load of thread subscriptions. I'm close to 1,000. Honestly, just subscribing to every thread you post in makes everything so much easier. I just wish I had chose that feature earlier on Smashboards back in the day.

Actually I have gone up against it before. You did the strategy, you just varied it up a tad a few times. Like, once or twice you went MK, but you didn't plank non stop hardcore (which was the right decision overall IMO, at least against Zac and I because we would juggle Lee for too much damage and when push came to shove I would not get hit by anything too dangerous and so the prospects of being up stockwise was looking low for you guys. Then you guys have tried Lucario/Wario, but that just doesn't work out nearly as well, certainly not against me in teams as I'm just too good at the Wario ditto and you can't stay safe for long enough against us to tank for long enough for Lucario to get both stocks.) Lucario/G&W for you guys would honestly be out of the question against a team like me+Zac, but once you learned G&W really well it could pay off.

As Fogo pointed out, Lee went Lucario when we played at Phase and while they weren't trying exceptionally hard to adhere to the Anubis "theme", Lee seemed dissatisfied with trying to use Lucario and went MK the rest of the time. I don't blame him, because playing against Wario in teams as Lucario is flat out frustrating when Wario plays it correctly (hit and run poking/safe damage/never putting himself in a spot to eat anything deadly). There's no point in being able to kill at 50% or under if you can't hit the other guy, and then out of nowhere he can kill you at 60% and you can't avoid it.

Yeah I don't remember what game that was though. That had to of been Delfino/Game 1? That's the game I didn't lose my first stock for 5 minutes... that would make a lot more sense with Lee being Lucario than MK cause it's just too hard to keep a stock for that long against double MK lol.

Yeah that was game one. Like I said earlier, it's a pain for Lucario to try and get kills against naturally running characters like Wario. The strategy is MUCH more effective if you are at least keeping up stockwise with the other team. If Lucario takes a stock for every stock he loses, and maybe 1 more than that, then it's a nice advantage to have. However, the problem is that Lucario, when doing this strategy, generally loses stocks faster than he kills them, certainly at the beginning/middle. If Lucario loses stocks too fast and doesn't get just compensation for it, then the strategy falls apart.

If we kill the Lucario 2 times, he comes back and kills my partner, but can't kill me until he loses at least 3 stocks, then you will run into trouble. Lucario will die 2 times, kill one stock, die a 3rd time, take a second stock from the team, and after that point take 1-2 more stocks. At that point, the entire team for Lucario would be left with 1 stock period (hopefully not the MK's who has potentially taken some damage while planking/doing stuff), while the opposing team has 2 stocks. It essentially can boil down to a 2 v 1 against Lucario's team, and that's no fun lol.

Furthermore, this is assuming that the MK player is REALLY... REALLY not taking damage here. If MK loses even one stock before Lucario loses 3, TERRIBLE things can happen VERY fast to your team. Getting 3-4 stocked is NOT out of the question when something like that happens honestly.

Battlefield- Small, lot of platforms for other characters to run from, makes it harder for Lucario to do his job safely.

Delfino- Much harder to plank safely on this stage/keep from getting damaged as the tank because for a lot of transformations there are no edges/no super safe spots. Lucario also doesn't like the Terrain being so weird, and the walkoffs can be an issue against a Dedede/Diddy/etc.

Frigate- Just overall kinda meh stage for Lucario. Right side on first transformation is dangerous for him to be near/knocked off of. The stage flip is decent for him, he can make it harder for people to approach him from the "pit" in the center, but overall it's not that amazing. The stage flips can screw him over though hard.

Lylat is bad against characters that naturally can avoid Lucario well (Wario for example). Lucario even on smaller stages will have to work for kills against those kind of characters, but with more space he is hard pressed to do even small bits of damage here and there. More space also means that the further Lucario has to move away from his partner to try and attack the other team, the more time it takes for his partner to potentially save him. So for teams with running characters backed up by good players, Lylat is a big no no. Against characters a bit more aggressive like MK/Marth, the other stage issues besides space can kick into effect.

Overall, lots of space bad for people who run/camp super hard, small amounts of space bad for people that don't give a rat's a** and will come after Lucario relentlessly.
Marth and Diddykong. This team would be dangerous even though lucario has the advantage on diddykong its a hard match up if the marth can utilize the nannerz. Marth can keep the lucario busy while Diddykong goes at for Mk. With both characters having good pressure abilties MK would have to do most of the work. Also Lucario limits stages that the team can choose. Stages like RC are already banned.

Another factor is the role of the lucario player. We know the MK will be the attack dog. But what about lucario. Lucario makes for a decent stock tank but with marth on the other side and nanners all over the place you are bound to run into some damage.

If Marth was paired up with mk the match up is winnable. The Marth player might stay closer to MK

Snake and diddykong(maybe later)
G&W + Wario- Together they can juggle Lucario safely while not taking damage due to defensive options. Wario is too hard to kill when he runs, making Lucario's job of killing people very hard. Either character can also kill Lucario super early.

There are others, but that team is the one I have been a part of mostly to solidly deal with the anubis strategy.
D3's bad news too, not as bad as those others though imo.
LOL Actually... Lee gets upset if I help before his last stock. TBH Just trust the lucario, regardless if he's getting 0-death. Like yall might call me crazy but whenever I play with Lee, I try to help him as little as possible till his last stock and he's around mid percents. (Somewhere between 60-80). Like it's good if you can knack on some damage here and there but your main goal as the tank is to NOT GET HIT lol. Like the ideal situation/scenario is, Lucario's on his last stock, the tank is below 30-40% on his first stock, and the opponent are mid percent 2nd stock. This should ALWAYS be the ideal/most common situation. Anyways this is something I already covered in a previous post when I stated that you got to TRUST your partner to handle ANY situation.

Anyways these teams you guys are coming up to counter Lucario/MK are so situational and would NEVER happen in tournament. Seriously Double d3? I mean if you aren't playing them early rounds I doubt you'll see a double d3 team past round 2-3 in winners. Most common teams that you'll see beat the Anubis strategy are ones that revolve around one hit KO's or when the Lucario is clearly outmatched. Aura can only make up for so much.

Edit: Through personal experience, only time you should throw away the anubis strategy is if the tank dies first. But if that happened the likelihood of you even winning is already slim.
Stages

Stages to use

Pokemon Stadium
Smashville
FD

Stages to Avoid

Frigate
Brinstar
Halberg

Characters who give you Trouble

Mr. Game and Watch
Wario
Metaknight
King DDD

Disclaimer: This thread is made for the sole purpose of keeping doubles discussion clean and organized. If people wish to discuss a past team, they may do so in this thread without cluttering the current discussion.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I suck at making exports. Also, it could use more information.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight just has too many options, so playing against MK is pretty difficult. As far I'm concerned, I take my time when fighting MK, and when I get enough dmg to kill him, I go for up smash when I sense he's gonna hover over me and dair. Other implications is to poke around with the ftilts because the fsmash has more lag behind it and plus the ftilt is faster. I want to keep MK's guessing when I'm fsmash and it sometimes pays off.

The part Lucario's have to be cautious about is when they are off the stage. Just stay calm and recover smart.

Top Bottom