• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/Weight

ok guys, we finally have the official Ridley's Weight and.....

We aren't Super Heavyweight, but......the CAT?! THE FREAKING CAT IS SUPERHEAVYWEIGHT?!

.............Well, at least we aren't middleweight like the rumors stated, but on the upper side of heavyweights, sharing with Wario, Ike and the Belmonts, only supprased on the same category by.......Samus, Dark Samus and Bowser Jr.?!

...oh man, i hope the developers adds at least 2 or more digits to his weight, Jr. and both Samus having more weight than him feels odd, :s
I know it's probably for balancing and all that, so I'm not too worried about it. In my mind I want to say there's no way even Ike or the belmonts should be heavier than Ridley, but I keep imagining canon Ridley next to them rather than Smash Ridley, which since scaled down maybe the given weight is more reasonable.

The one that always surpises me is Mewtwo. Sure he floats and is psychic and levitates, but as a physical entity he's pretty tall and muscular. Alright maybe a bit lanky in the torso and arms but he rocks a thick tail and Chun Li thighs. I always assumed that even if Mewtwo lost all of his psychic abilities, he would be hard to move by normal people if he didn't want to be moved. His attack stat in the Pokémon games seems to back that up. But again I chalk it up to balance with a little bit of varying interpretation. Mewtwo would be kind of crazy if he could effortlessly psychic glide across the stage but had a Bowser/K. Rool tough guy mechanic. Maybe it could be remedied by giving him some armor? Like, he still soars if hit with powerful moves but utilization of certain Smashes and maybe forward air gives him some survivability? But I digress.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Weights are pretty interesting in this game, all of the super heavyweights got theirs buffed except Zard and Snake (who's rightfully no longer in that category), but a lot of the higher than average characters like Lucario, Shulk and Wolf have had theirs nerfed, and even some of the middling ones aswell (Fox is bottom 5 now lol).

Ridley's weight isn't great for his size (although thankfully still better than rumored yesterday), but it's a bit hard to say how big of a problem it's going to be as the weight standards have been shaken up a lot. Weight is one of those things they regularly tinkered with in Smash 4 patches, so if he's as bad as the fearmongering implies I expect that to be one of his first buffs.

Last edited:

Kopy

Smash Cadet
Ridley's w

We aren't Super Heavyweight, but......the CAT?! THE FREAKING CAT IS SUPERHEAVYWEIGHT?!

.............Well, at least we aren't middleweight like the rumors stated, but on the upper side of heavyweights, sharing with Wario, Ike and the Belmonts, only supprased on the same category by.......Samus, Dark Samus and Bowser Jr.?!

...oh man, i hope the developers adds at least 2 or more digits to his weight, Jr. and both Samus having more weight than him feels odd, :s
Ridley's weight is plausible now, he is really thin and lanky. Makes sense to weigh less than Samus in her Power Suit

I was worried him being on par with Mario, but it's better than expected

Bynine

Smash Cadet
also according to kurogane hammer, ridley's run speed is a very impressive 2.2, faster than smash 4 fox!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
also according to kurogane hammer, ridley's run speed is a very impressive 2.2, faster than smash 4 fox!
Yeah, he's joint 9th with Charizard, and the fastest newcomer. Will be pretty useful as it seems like chasing is a significant part of his game.

I'm especially happy with it as one of the only things that makes a character downright unenjoyable for me is usually a lack of mobility, so regardless of his other issues I'm sure I'll at least have a ton of fun maining him. Not that I've been doubting his mobility as it's been pretty clear since E3 that he's good in that regard, but it's nice to get the straight facts, hopefully we hear about his aerial mobility next.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai be like "Y'all want Ridley to be smaller for Smash? Well, I'll make him small AND light!!"
I mean, it does make sense for his Smash size. The dude has, like, 0% body fat.

Last edited:

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
And about Air Speed, all characters got buffed overall, and Ridley air speed it's 105, and sits in the 41-44 rank with Rosalina and Toon Link. He is faster than Smash4 Charizard and a bit faster than Smash4 Bowser. However both of them got an speed boost, and are much faster in the air than Ridley.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
You know, one of the reasons I love Ridley is that I absolutely adore every one of his alts. While maybe I like the Mecha skins or maybe the Gold one a bit more, I would never complain about using any of the other colors. They'll all be getting use out of me

Also, has anyone confirmed how Ridley's down B works on bosses? Is he able to just do a crap ton of damage with it, or do they only get hit by the sour spot?

IronTed

Smash Ace
So Ridley is lighter than Dark/Samus, even if narrowly. I think it's fair though, Ridley was never super heavy weight material, being one of the heavier heavy weights makes sense.

Also surprised Incineroar is tied with Charizard for 6th, but given his speed and recovery (or lack there of), that seems fair. Also nice that K. Rool is heavier than DK.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Also, has anyone confirmed how Ridley's down B works on bosses? Is he able to just do a crap ton of damage with it, or do they only get hit by the sour spot?
Man now I kinda wish Home Run contests are added. Ridley would completely break that mode via down B.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
o.o OH, YOU GOT HIM EARLY? HOLY, AWESOME! XD Lucky you!
Damn. Jealous! Mine is supposed to be available for store pickup on the 7th along with Wolf, so I just hope that all goes according to plan.
Ahaha yep the Cunning God of Death smiles upon me, hopefully you guys and everybody else will be able to get them before they sell out.

As for Ridley's viability yeah he will have a bad disadvantage state, but his advantage state could be pretty good, with his speed and fast aerials specifically upair, thing looks great for juggling. 107 weight isn't that bad. I was worried he was going to be a mid weight lol. Even if he is "bad" patches are always a thing maybe they will buff his weight or allow his upB to go up forward why is this not a thing All i know is I'm maining him bottom or top tier.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ahaha yep the Cunning God of Death smiles upon me, hopefully you guys and everybody else will be able to get them before they sell out.
xD He definitely does! And thank you, I really hope we all can!
IMG_20181126_174159.jpg
xP I got something for him to play with the moment he arrives. :V I just need a mini Pika Pika too.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Glad the Ridley lightweight presumers can eat crow now.

Man now I kinda wish Home Run contests are added. Ridley would completely break that mode via down B.
That mode I would say is the only real loss for me at this point if it’s not included. Other things like All-Star mode I can easily justify/forgive with there being over 70 characters, but Home Run I will kinda miss, but if that’s the worst I can say about them cutting corners, then it’s not too bad. Already accepted spirits being the easier replacement for trophy models and such.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

As for Ridley's viability yeah he will have a bad disadvantage state, but his advantage state could be pretty good, with his speed and fast aerials specifically upair, thing looks great for juggling. 107 weight isn't that bad. I was worried he was going to be a mid weight lol. Even if he is "bad" patches are always a thing maybe they will buff his weight or allow his upB to go up forward why is this not a thing All i know is I'm maining him bottom or top tier.
It is a thing. You just have to be facing backwards. Even then, you can do the straight up version from the same position you would do a diagonal Fire Fox and he'll still be able to grab the ledge.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
It is a thing. You just have to be facing backwards. Even then, you can do the straight up version from the same position you would do a diagonal Fire Fox and he'll still be able to grab the ledge.
Wouldn't that be up back then :p That's the problem if your knock back horizontally you option is to side b and up b. but decent player can see that edgeguard accordingly. Your only "safe" option is to go down to the ledge and up b thats pretty risky and predictable. For example because Ridley can't go up forward, this Ridley's options were very limited see last stock https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=marth+vs+ridley+ 9/10 your back is not going to be facing the ledge when recovering.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Wouldn't that be up back then :p That's the problem if your knock back horizontally you option is to side b and up b. but decent player can see that edgeguard accordingly. Your only "safe" option is to go down to the ledge and up b thats pretty risky and predictable. For example because Ridley can't go up forward, this Ridley's options were very limited see last stock https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=marth+vs+ridley+ 9/10 your back is not going to be facing the ledge when recovering.
Practice either using a jump to face away (the easy but sub-optimal way) or b-reverse it (the best way).

Side note, even though it's called Wing Blitz, the downward version is actually a dive-kick.

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Practice either using a jump to face away (the easy but sub-optimal way) or b-reverse it (the best way).

Side note, even though it's called Wing Blitz, the downward version is actually a dive-kick.
Oh snap your right I forgot about b reverse upB, alright that helps his recovery be less predictable, counters will still be a pain though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh snap your right I forgot about b reverse upB, alright that helps his recovery be less predictable, counters will still be a pain though.
Well, it really does have to be a semi-spike on ground level in order for Ridley to be in serious danger. Otherwise he can often threaten to dunk them with a Space Pirate Rush if they try a counter, and even recover if you use your jumps wisely.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Is there a database somewhere (or discord link) where one might watch more Ridley vids? I need something to whet my appetite, and I've just about exhausted all my options on YouTube lol

StormC

Smash Hero
I thought this was an interesting little experiment:

https://tubedubber.com/?q=8x0NdTsmWv8:p4X9vUiAEeA:25:100:52:0:1

I tried to mash up the new Ridley remix with the trailer... and it fits surprisingly well IMO. (If the link is bugged, set the trailer so it starts playing at the 52 second mark.) It synchs up with a lot of the beats pretty naturally. I'm curious why they chose the Brawl remix instead (not that I mind since it was a very nostalgic choice that definitely got me hyped up).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Seemed fitting or I guess more rewarding for some new sweeter remixes to be saved for later/near release. Ridley and K. Rool's mixes both got people more hyped again after being disappointed by the November 1st massacre, so it all worked out in the end far as timing.

Also, funny animation found.

Last edited:

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
Is there a database somewhere (or discord link) where one might watch more Ridley vids? I need something to whet my appetite, and I've just about exhausted all my options on YouTube lol
I searched videos on Twitter, and most of them features Ridley used as a sandbag for test combo strings, :(

Rran

Smash Apprentice
I searched videos on Twitter, and most of them features Ridley used as a sandbag for test combo strings, :(
Yeah, sadly most of the footage I've seen of Ridley is him being a punching bag :/

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Man, I'm so bummed about the lack of early Ridley combo videos. People really seem to be sleeping on this guy. I at least hope for some well-deserved buffs for the launch update.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Hopefully patches will be favorable to Ridley. Mewtwo went from one of the worst characters in Smash 4 to top ten.

Genuinely think Ridley might have the best Kirby hat in the whole game.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
People really seem to be sleeping on this guy.
Sleepyhead.png

Master Hand: "Ridley, you are...next...? Uh...Ridley?"

Ridley: *Sleepin'* z..z..Z

Master Hand: "...I'm not waking him up. I don't want to get stabbed...again."

Or Maybe Ridley is sleeping on them. :p

Genuinely think Ridley might have the best Kirby hat in the whole game.
:3 I agree, it's the most adorable one!

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I mean regardless of later buffs that I can see eventually happening too, would say expect some more combo videos/clips not long after launch when more of his fans finally get a handle of him. Reddit and the like might sleep on Ridley, but his fans or players who dedicatedly main him will put a good word out on what all he can do.

Gorr

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4571-0356-0302
How heavy is he? i heard he's a middleweight like mario.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Makes you realise how insane recoveries have generally gotten as the series has progressed. What once wasn't possible for even half the roster can now be achieved by the vast majority of the characters.

Top Bottom