• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Which folder has the stock icons? Trying to find the K. Rool ones.
Fighter>Chara_2

Anyway, found the full art of the Nightmare. Here it is compared to Other M.
spirits_0_nightmare.png

I really don't know what to make of this. It has to be some unreleased Other M concept art. That or someone edited Other M Nightmare in Photoshop, but why would Sakurai go through that effort just for a Spirit?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
My fellow Space pirates, Christmas came early, I was pre-ordering the Ridley amiibo and the guy in walmart says he couldn't because the system allowed them to sell it sooooooo

He's beautiful :ultridley:
o.o OH, YOU GOT HIM EARLY? HOLY, AWESOME! XD Lucky you!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Fighter>Chara_2

Anyway, found the full art of the Nightmare. Here it is compared to Other M.
View attachment 180156

I really don't know what to make of this. It has to be some unreleased Other M concept art. That or someone edited Other M Nightmare in Photoshop, but why would Sakurai go through that effort just for a Spirit?
The mouth is completely different... and is that a star on the left one's cheek?

StormC

Smash Hero
My fellow Space pirates, Christmas came early, I was pre-ordering the Ridley amiibo and the guy in walmart says he couldn't because the system allowed them to sell it sooooooo

He's beautiful :ultridley:
Damn. Jealous! Mine is supposed to be available for store pickup on the 7th along with Wolf, so I just hope that all goes according to plan.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Kinda waiting to see if Proteus Ridley got a spirit too since Diggernaut got one, but if not, minor loss. Solid spirit collection either way.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Was wondering which Ridley artwork they were going to use for his Fighter Spirit. I was kinda hoping for the Super Metroid one so we could get a high resolution version of it, I love that oldschool artstyle, but the Zero Mission artwork is also super cool, so no complaints.
Here are some of the other Pirates.
spirits_0_kraid.png

spirits_0_mother_brain_bipedal.png

spirits_0_mother_brain.png

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
First I've heard of that. Are you referring to the trailer that showed her apparent connection to the aurora units?
Mama Robotnik authored a series of threads on NeoGAF several years ago exploring the Prime games' cut content. As is well known Kraid was planned, but Mother Brain was too.

1543372808565.png

Looks very funky, unfortunately the link to this in that thread doesn't work anymore. The theory is the original plotline involved the Space Pirates hooking up Mother Brain to Tallon IV, and she got infused with Phazon. So in a way one could argue the concept of Aurora Unit 313 was around even before Prime released. But this was probably a very early idea, unlike Kraid.

So yeah, the 3 main bosses in Metroid were all originally going to be in this game at one point.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I remember that. Even if neogaf was a terrible place after awhile, it had some good research threads showcasing all the scarce cut content in most of the Metroid games and such. Crocomire in Prime 3 was interesting, among the posted Mother Brain and other things.

Kopy

Smash Cadet
Did someone datamine the weight values? I'd love to see them, and I have a hard time believing he's actually that light.
Yeah, he's around Mario's weight.

Big hurtbox, lightweight, bad recovery.. but he has good range on some moves. We will see what we can make out of this.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Big and light in unfortunate, but not totally unexpected either. Isn't Lucario lighter than Samus? If Ridley is indeed lighter than Samus that would be something.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
From what I can see, Ridley's the worst character in the game so far in terms of overall stuff. However, I've only seen a handful and we have patches on our way so hopefully we get a Mewtwo scenario on our hands
I wouldn't go that far. He has his flaws like an exploitable recovery and a poor disadvantage state, but that doesn't change the fact that he also has a set of great moves like Nair and Dtilt, good frame data overall, and good edgeguarding options. He's a character that despite his flaws still has a toolkit that can function with itself, it's nowhere near cases like pre-Ultimate Zelda where she struggles to pull off the role she wants to do.

Granted, there's still a lot left unexplored with the characters anything can change (just look at how much people are discovering about Chrom despite the initial write-off), but I doubt he's going to be non-functional as a character.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, he's around Mario's weight.

Big hurtbox, lightweight, bad recovery.. but he has good range on some moves. We will see what we can make out of this.
I didn't know Mario was a lightweight.

Y'all are exaggerating. Pre-patch Mewtwo was the second lightest character in the game with only average speed and awkward hitboxes on many moves. Ridley is a middleweight with frame data and disjoints almost comparable to Marth, an attack speed that far exceeds his similarly sized peers, and good mobility all-around.

StormC

Smash Hero
The only definite lists are top 3 heaviest and lightest so far. Although some weights have been shown, Wolf for example got nerfed to 95 whatever. Top 3 heaviest are Bowser, DK/K.Rool and Dedede. Lightest are Pichu, Puff and G&W
Damn, I thought K. Rool was at least heavier than DK. They couldn't even give him that? Ah well.

StormC

Smash Hero
I really don't see the issue when he easily has one of the better recoveries in the game, ESPECIALLY for a heavyweight
The emphasis on his footsteps literally shaking the screen during the Smash Direct got a lot of people's hopes up that he might be the heaviest character in the game. While I wouldn't trade being heavier for his god tier recovery, it would have been nice for bragging rights. He's still the heaviest newcomer in 17 years, which is nothing to sneeze at, I suppose.

Kopy

Smash Cadet
I didn't know Mario was a lightweight.

Y'all are exaggerating. Pre-patch Mewtwo was the second lightest character in the game with only average speed and awkward hitboxes on many moves. Ridley is a middleweight with frame data and disjoints almost comparable to Marth, an attack speed that far exceeds his similarly sized peers, and good mobility all-around.

*relatively lightweight for his size.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Up special snaps to the ledge apparently, and with it being a good edgeguarding tool in addition, I can live with it honestly as one who previously mained some others with "bad recovery". He'll have some disadvantages, but I don't think he'll be some dysfunctional character.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
What could be worse than one Metroid villain?!
Oh I know!
Two Metroid villains!

R.I.P. Stephen Hillenburg

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Light for his size and questionable recovery aside, Ridley looks fun (as does K. Rool).

I have high hopes people won't sleep big body characters early on, as many did with the ones in previous games (before patches gave many of them things like throw combos).

All the pessimism right now is mostly pre-release speculah bringing out the worst in us.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Light for his size and questionable recovery aside, Ridley looks fun (as does K. Rool).

I have high hopes people won't sleep big body characters early on, as many did with the ones in previous games (before patches gave many of them things like throw combos).

All the pessimism right now is mostly pre-release speculah bringing out the worst in us.
Well, people were kind of thinking Bowser was awesome in the early days of Smash 3DS...

Ridley's recovery will probably look better once people better understand how to control Wing Blitz, since I just notice a lot of them being too nervous about using the angled versions and waste time getting into position to use the vertical one.

0:38 demonstrates some of it's airdodge tech-chase potential, and 2:23 shows how far he can drift after to still make it to the ledge.

IronTed IronTed You mean how it's not guraranteed that Ridley even needs to die to pull one off?

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
meleebrawler meleebrawler Ridley's side-B is escapable if you buttonmash, although apparently it can be very difficult depending on how much damage one has received, so that's what I mean by not guaranteed. But what you said is applicable too I guess.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Samus has always been "low-tier," but I've been maining her for ages. In my experience, (hot take warning!) tiers don't really matter. As long as you can competently play a character, you can win. I've never had a problem regularly winning fights as Samus, and have feeling the same will go for Ridley once I get used to him, regardless of tier placement.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/Weight

ok guys, we finally have the official Ridley's Weight and.....

We aren't Super Heavyweight, but......the CAT?! THE FREAKING CAT IS SUPERHEAVYWEIGHT?!

.............Well, at least we aren't middleweight like the rumors stated, but on the upper side of heavyweights, sharing with Wario, Ike and the Belmonts, only supprased on the same category by.......Samus, Dark Samus and Bowser Jr.?!

...oh man, i hope the developers adds at least 2 or more digits to his weight, Jr. and both Samus having more weight than him feels odd, :s

StormC

Smash Hero
http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/Weight

ok guys, we finally have the official Ridley's Weight and.....

We aren't Super Heavyweight, but......the CAT?! THE FREAKING CAT IS SUPERHEAVYWEIGHT?!

.............Well, at least we aren't middleweight like the rumors stated, but on the upper side of heavyweights, sharing with Wario, Ike and the Belmonts, only supprased on the same category by.......Samus, Dark Samus and Bowser Jr.?!

...oh man, i hope the developers adds at least 2 or more digits to his weight, Jr. and both Samus having more weight than him feels odd, :s
Hey, K. Rool IS above DK! Validation!

Top Bottom