• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I know at the very least Zero Suit Samus had similar properties on her dair, not falling much with it at all if she had any kind of upward momentum.
Ridley's down-air does the same thing. You can do that delayed not-really-moving-anywhere thing that ZSS and afaik all other Stall-Then-Fall down-airs have.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Without the lines, Ridley kind of looks like an evil elderly dragon due to the placement of his head-spikes. Then again, elder dragons tend to be some of the more impressive ones in most cases!
White_Fatalis_Lick_G.jpg

Now I want a lightning breath Ridley. Science Team, make it happen.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
If it doesn't, then 8 player Ridley matches in Giant Mode when the Lightning item backfires (and makes others even bigger than Super Mushroom) will.
...Is that item still in the game?
Imagine a game of Smash bros where the entire top half of the screen is filled with Ridleys

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hey there, first time coming here.

So, I was browsing Youtube, looking for video and all, and then, I found this:

Now, I don't want to call this guy by any names because, I like giving the benefit of the doubt.

But...it seem like this dude is just...complaining that peoples are happy that Ridley is in Smash, just because his proportion look off? And that those peoples who like his design in Smash are stupid because now he look ridiculous or somethin'?

Which, with his voice and tone, seem rather arrogant and kinda make him look like a douchebag a little bit?

I don't know, tell me your opinion on it, maybe it's just me or somethin', but I like to hear opinion coming from this thread. Seeing that alot of you were Ridley fan since a long time.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Now, I don't want to call this guy by any names because, I like giving the benefit of the doubt.

But...it seem like this dude is just...complaining that peoples are happy that Ridley is in Smash, just because his proportion look off? And that those peoples who like his design in Smash are stupid because now he look ridiculous or somethin'?

Which, with his voice and tone, seem rather arrogant and kinda make him look like a douchebag a little bit?

I don't know, tell me your opinion on it, maybe it's just me or somethin', but I like to hear opinion coming from this thread. Seeing that alot of you were Ridley fan since a long time.
Pretty sure these people are just upset that they were wrong, so they're trying to save face instead of just being dignified enough to accept being wrong and move on.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

Oof, after first hearing his voice I had to click off of that video. He sounded really cocky.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman

And I counter his argument the same way I countered people prior to Ridley's inclusion. Something looking "********", "silly", or "weird" is...
SUBJECTIVE. There are a lot of things I and other people find "********", "silly", or "weird" about Smash. I find Bowser's running animation from Melee and Brawl stupid, his mode of traversal made absolutely no sense, glad it eventually got changed along with his everything else. The fact Kirby can use copy abilities as his specials without absorbing the enemy he normally gets it from bothered me, it then grew on me. I use to find Ganondorf using purely his fists and legs weird, it also grew on me. Jigglypuff's rest move causing an explosion is completely stupid as its purely a defensive move, but its there and still does it. Pikachu, Lucario and the rest of the Pokemon are clearly not to scale and you could verify it by Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum's PokeDex's, it use to bother me, now it no longer phases me. They're only saying this so they can hold on to the "I'm still right card", even though most people used that as damning evidence for why Ridley would never be playable.

The only thing that mattered was whether Sakurai gave the okay on Ridley being playable and it happened eventually. People were displeased with Ridley's appearance in Bagan's mod, which was extremely well done, but only a proof of concept. People know getting Ridley from a professional team would look satisfactory, however detractors are still displeased even after getting it officially, meaning it really didn't matter either way.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
People were displeased with Ridley's appearance in Bagan's mod, which was extremely well done, but only a proof of concept.
I don't really understand this part whenever it's brought up. It's not just a proof of concept. It was meant to finally give Ridley supporters the opportunity to play as Ridley when they were denied it by Sakurai. Now it sort of lost its original purpose, but still, that's what it always was. Proving that he works wasn't the main objective.

Classic Ridley is almost done btw and Meta Ridley alt is going to be a thing as well.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't really understand this part whenever it's brought up. It's not just a proof of concept. It was meant to finally give Ridley supporters the opportunity to play as Ridley when they were denied it by Sakurai. Now it sort of lost its original purpose, but still, that's what it always was.
That reminds me, are you ever going to do a retroactive mod to put Ultimate Ridley in Brawl or even 4?
Figure the answer's going to be no, just wanted to ask.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That reminds me, are you ever going to do a retroactive mod to put Ultimate Ridley in Brawl or even 4?
Figure the answer's going to be no, just wanted to ask.
KingJigglypuff will most likely do it and I'll help him if needed. Thankfully, their Ridley doesn't do much stuff that can't be replicated in Brawl. Obviously his weakspot during his Neutral B and Down B's crumpling effect are impossible to replicate (or at least very hard to), but the rest of him can work just fine. Mario should be a good base for him.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I don't really understand this part whenever it's brought up. It's not just a proof of concept. It was meant to finally give Ridley supporters the opportunity to play as Ridley when they were denied it by Sakurai. Now it sort of lost its original purpose, but still, that's what it always was.
I know it was meant to serve as a playable form of Ridley for supporters, admittedly I should've added that there as well. But, I said proof of concept because people were under the impression that Ridley would be broken as a playable character. Which your mod demonstrated as false (even though that wasn't the main objective it served doubly as such), while it wasn't completely balanced upon its release it slowly became more stable and even more enjoyable to play over time from adjustments.

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Yeah ignore 'em. There will be a few detractors left whose only argument will be "Now he's too small. It's not Ridley, it's a bastardization! I hope you Ridley fans are happy! We told you he couldn't work, we told you!"

It's funny how at this point they're trying to convince us that they were right, that we should be as unhappy as they are, but from what I've seen, Ridley fans are happier than ever, and couldn't really give a damn :rotfl:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Speaking of mod, I hope that, when mod on Switch will be a thing, there will be mod of Xenomorph over Ridley.

After all, the Metroid franchise own alot to Alien, so it be the perfect payback. :p

Beside that, thank you for the answer to my previous post, 'really help alot. I also want to tell you how happy I am that Ridley got confirm, not just because Metroid is one of my favourite franchise, but because all of you guys deserve it after fighting for so long and so hard so that our favourite space parent killer could finally be playable. That video I posted reminded me of the dark time that the Ridley community had to face, but now, I realize I am just worrying for nothing, as per usual, but now, I can continue being happy that Ridley is in and not worry about some peoples who just don't want to say they were wrong and continue mocking us.

Really ,you are the best, and I hope all of you have a great day!^^

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

looks like we got some sour grapes

https://youtu.be/q4VupyBwHRI

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Gotta love that there's someone out there who feels the need to defend the anti-Ridley fanbase, as if that was even ever a thing. At the very least it seems like most of the detractors threw the towel in without making a fuzz about it, I don't even think most of them saw themselves as some kind of anti-fanbase, they just held a contradictory opinion on the matter, it's not like hordes of people got together to root against Ridley, it was always just individual people bringing up their opinion. This guy just seems like a bit of an extreme example, thinking of yourself as being part of a community that's rooted purely in negativity, and still defending it when the matter has definitively been resolved, can't be healthy.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Gotta love that there's someone out there who feels the need to defend the anti-Ridley fanbase, as if that was even ever a thing. At the very least it seems like most of the detractors threw the towel in without making a fuzz about it, I don't even think most of them saw themselves as some kind of anti-fanbase, they just held a contradictory opinion on the matter, it's not like hordes of people got together to root against Ridley, it was always just individual people bringing up their opinion. This guy just seems like a bit of an extreme example, thinking of yourself as being part of a community that's rooted purely in negativity, and still defending it when the matter has definitively been resolved, can't be healthy.
Wow, I'm not even gonna bother watching that video based on what's been said here, but that's what that person seems to believe? That there's an "anti-Ridley fanbase"?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's funny because Ridley is a character they try really hard to make us hate, but that only makes us like him more. It's just really hard to stay
mad at him when you see how happy he is doing what he does.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The debate about Ridley's size and proportions are better off being left behind. There's no point in keeping it up anymore, because even if people do disagree with the way Ridley is portrayed in this game, it's entirely subjective at this point. Nothing anyone says will change the fact that he's already playable.

I can't think of many good reasons for why some people are trying to continue this debacle, beyond wanting to save face (which in all honesty is not a good reason at all), or if they really and truly just genuinely don't like the this portrayal of him. Not like they're not allowed to just express their opinions, that's perfectly fine, but there's no real point in trying to argue that their view is objectively right or trying to convince people that making Ridley playable like this was a bad idea. It's not gonna change a darn thing. Certainly not for this upcoming game. That's not even getting into the fact that there are still some people who (for whatever reason) are happy to mock fans of the character over it.

The debate largely needs to be put to rest by now. You would think Ridley being playable to begin with would've been enough to put it to rest, but then again, Ridley is far from the first playable character to cause a Broken Base among Smash fans.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Hey this came up from me in the general discussion,

Do we have either a screenshot or footage of Ridley's title on the Punch Out stage? I just saw one of Snake's and so I'm hopping we have footage somewhere of Ridley on the stage.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Hey this came up from me in the general discussion,

Do we have either a screenshot or footage of Ridley's title on the Punch Out stage? I just saw one of Snake's and so I'm hopping we have footage somewhere of Ridley on the stage.
We've been looking for it ourselves, but I'm not sure if we ever found the video.

That being said, I can confirm that Ridley's title is "The Cunning God of Death". Can't remember where I saw it, but I definitely remember watching a match with Ridley on Boxing Ring.

D

Deleted member

"Size never mattered" says the Anti-Ridley guy, A.K.A:
Moving the Goalpost: The Video.

Anyway, they have to accept the fact that Ridley is in Smash, and no opinion can change that. I don't certainly like Corrin and Bayo, but you don't see me raining on their parade 24/7, do ya? I just play with the characters i actually enjoy.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
We've been looking for it ourselves, but I'm not sure if we ever found the video.

That being said, I can confirm that Ridley's title is "The Cunning God of Death". Can't remember where I saw it, but I definitely remember watching a match with Ridley on Boxing Ring.
Well that's two people on here I trust that have said that so I'm excited! I'm so glad they went with that. I'll try looking for footage.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but I thought it was simply BEAUTIFUL. :>

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Pretty sure these people are just upset that they were wrong, so they're trying to save face instead of just being dignified enough to accept being wrong and move on.
Yeah, we live in an age where it's difficult for people to admit that they were wrong. So when they're proven wrong, instead of admitting it, they double down. This guy didn't want Ridley in the game, then Ridley was added, and so now he's doubling down and trying to make it seem like anything but a good thing, and that it's everyone else that's wrong.

Before the Switch reveal, I'd said that Nintendo's only chance was to basically make a normal, powerful console like Microsoft and Sony, since gimmicky hardware no longer has enough appeal to be commercially successful, and they needed to be powerful enough to support AAA games. Boy was I freaking wrong.

I have some hard predictions on who is or isn't going to be in Smash, but when my predictions are inevitably proven wrong somehow, I'll take that L.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but I thought it was simply BEAUTIFUL. :>
It really is and that Ridley theme remix (...it sounds like it) during the first part of the story is just great.
But to be honest, I expected wanton murder to be a part of his fun activities in the begining. It's this thing after all.
Animation9.gif

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
He could just be the bigger man and admit he was wrong.
carlos.jpg

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
The more gameplay I see of Ridley the more I'm liking his moveset. I'm just gonna continued to be more and more tempted to main him as the months go on.
can't be sure really till game is out and I can get my hands on him though. I'm not really a character loyalist so I can't really say one way or another who I will main until the game is already out.

But just imagine going to a tournament and being asked "who do you main?" and answering "The Cunning God of Death"

Last edited:

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman

I thought for sure that was going to maintain the children's story style until a twist ending with him eating Samus's parents. I wasn't off by much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Boredom has required me to implement eye irises onto Ridley...

Note: The artwork is large, so you might have to zoom in to see the iris that I implemented.

Ridley-Iris.png

Top Bottom