• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I did some digging looking at the posts just before Ridley's reveal and just after. and I must say it was a beautiful sight to see.
all these brothers and sisters in arms agreeing that even if he's deconfirmed again they will come back again and again to support him in each new game.

and then the glorious reveal and everyone going nuts that their long time dream has finally come true.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
why they 3 more dollars then normal
The Breath of the Wild Amiibo were also $16. I'm not certain why they're more expensive, but it might be because they're higher quality. Because some earlier Amiibo aren't of the highest quality...

And compare the Splatoon 1 squid Amiibo with the Splatoon 2 one.

So Amiibo have only gotten better in terms of quality. It makes sense that some of them would be a few dollars more expensive. And if I have to pay $3 for the difference between Marth and Merth, that's a fair trade. I don't want my Ridley Amiibo to be a Roodley.

Last edited:

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
The Breath of the Wild Amiibo were also $16. I'm not certain why they're more expensive, but it might be because they're higher quality. Because some earlier Amiibo aren't of the highest quality...

And compare the Splatoon 1 squid Amiibo with the Splatoon 2 one.

So Amiibo have only gotten better in terms of quality. It makes sense that some of them would be a few dollars more expensive. And if I have to pay $3 for the difference between Marth and Merth, that's a fair trade. I don't want my Ridley Amiibo to be a Roodley.
If the Ridley amiibo were made back during the initial Wave 1, we'd have Rudkey, Ridley's rude twin who flips everyone off in stores! :laugh:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Is there any Ultimate newcomer posters shown yet? I would like to see Ridley's. That's one of the things I enjoyed about the Smash 4 newcomer posters and seeing the different art styles.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Happy 1 month anniversary of Rildey being in Smash.
Great piece of art SchAlternate! It still is hard to grasp that Ridley finally got in after all these years. He is one of the most talked about characters (if not the most) during speculation of Smash 4 and Brawl perhaps even the Melee days. I was looking back at the old thread at some of the posts there and came across one of my earlier posts, "With all the hate Ridley is getting from detractors around the web, his potential confirmation to playable character will feel alot more satisfying."

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Smash speculation from this point on without Ridley support as a newcomer is going to be really weird.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm just still overjoyed that Ridley is in, I have the amiibo preordered on Best Buy AND Amazon because I've heard of pre-order cancelling apparently being a thing in prior amiibo waves? I don't want to miss out on this.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Got my Ridley amiibo pre-order in.
Gosh, I can't believe I'm actually going to have a Ridley amiibo.
From Smash Bros. Because he's in Smash.
Still mind-blowing.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Finally found a size comparison between Ridley and the Mother Brain assist trophy.

I’m not sure if I’ve said this already here, but I’m so freakin’ happy to finally see Ridley be able to potentially summon his fellow Space Pirate co-leader into the fray, laying the smackdown against their enemies. I always felt this was a missed opportunity back in SSB4.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
Finally found a size comparison between Ridley and the Mother Brain assist trophy.
I think Mother Brain is compensating for something, because she definitely wasn't that big in Smash 4!

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I hope Brinstar Depths returns, if only for the chance to have the original 4 Metroid characters in a single screen at once (plus the Metroids themselves)

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Giant Ridley with Mother Brain support on Brinstar Depths with Kraid doing his usual Kraid stuff in the background needs to be an event.

Incidentally, one Final Smash idea I had for Ridley was essentially him temporarily sending himself and the other fighters into a special stage with Mother Brain and Kraid attacking from left and right.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When you see an anti-Ridley activist still in denial he's in and brings the argument that Metroid fans should rather get upset about his current appearance in Smash than with Federation Force's SD graphics:

Credits to SchAlternate SchAlternate for this pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 152973

Holy geez Mama Brain is huge.
It's not perfect, but Ultimate's doing a pretty good job of using the scaling from the original Metroid.

You know, it's kind of funny how Sakurai actually copied Ridley's size from that game. Metroid was literally the only instance in a game where Ridley had a size that was close to Samus. Before he was revealed, I had doubts that Sakurai would be willing to overlook every other Metroid game so he could match the size comparison of pixelated sprites from an old NES game. Glad I was worried for nothing.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It's not perfect, but Ultimate's doing a pretty good job of using the scaling from the original Metroid.

You know, it's kind of funny how Sakurai actually copied Ridley's size from that game. Metroid was literally the only instance in a game where Ridley had a size that was close to Samus. Before he was revealed, I had doubts that Sakurai would be willing to overlook every other Metroid game so he could match the size comparison of pixelated sprites from an old NES game. Glad I was worried for nothing.
Still, don't remember Mother Brain being THAT big. Guess I've just got Super Metroid in mind when I think of Mother Brain's size compared to Samus.

Maybe the Assist Trophy's size is based off Zero Mission...

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I find it hilariously ironic how so many of the detractors would often say to ignore the original Metroid's depiction of Ridley for a size comparison because "it was on more limited hardware" and yet that was the very same depiction that Ridley was based on for Ultimate!

Also, the first 6 Megaman games on the NES had bosses that were way bigger than anything in Metroid 1, often taking up half the screen or WERE the screen! XD

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I find it hilariously ironic how so many of the detractors would often say to ignore the original Metroid's depiction of Ridley for a size comparison because "it was on more limited hardware" and yet that was the very same depiction that Ridley was based on for Ultimate!

Also, the first 6 Megaman games on the NES had bosses that were way bigger than anything in Metroid 1, often taking up half the screen or WERE the screen! XD
What people don't realize is that Ridley's size has nothing to do with system limitations. If Ridley was the same size as he is now, then it would be very easy to hit him, which would then either force the developers to make him move around a lot or turn him into a complete joke.
When gameplay became much less floaty and faster, Rdley grew bigger. If he was still small while retaining everything we know and love about him in SM, then he would be too hard to deal with.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It would be cool if they had Kraid take Ridley's place as a glorified stage hazard. I would say he could be an AT that rises from the bottom of the stage (on either the left or the right) much as he does in Super Metroid, before launching claw projectiles around the stage and slashing with his arms at anyone who gets close, but that's probably too extreme for an AT.

(Actually, a Super Metroid-style Phantoon would make an even better AT probably.)

Thundross

Smash Rookie
Hey, first-time poster here! Really excited to get to play as Ridley in this game. I've come across some new gameplay videos of the character that I don't think have been posted here before, so I thought I'd share them for anyone who hasn't seen them. The one with Snake has Ridley actually landing his Down B!

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
Hey, first-time poster here! Really excited to get to play as Ridley in this game. I've come across some new gameplay videos of the character that I don't think have been posted here before, so I thought I'd share them for anyone who hasn't seen them. The one with Snake has Ridley actually landing his Down B!

Heh, I never even noticed that Samus's ship flies by in the background on fire after Ridley's Final Smash. Nice touch.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Heh, I never even noticed that Samus's ship flies by in the background on fire after Ridley's Final Smash. Nice touch.
I don't really get why the opponent is spiked in the middle of the stage when the attack is done, though. Is it to simulate falling from space?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
My best guess is that it's to ensure that the attack only KOs above a certain percentage.
Why all cinematic FS's don't just auto-KO every character hit is beyond me. It's not like they need to be balanced. Nobody is like "Oh dude that character's pretty ****ty but it's made up for by a great Final Smash!"

Now some part of me is worried that Sakurai thinks that a good Final Smash makes up for a lackluster moveset.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Why all cinematic FS's don't just auto-KO every character hit is beyond me. It's not like they need to be balanced. Nobody is like "Oh dude that character's pretty ****ty but it's made up for by a great Final Smash!"

Now some part of me is worried that Sakurai thinks that a good Final Smash makes up for a lackluster moveset.
Because, in casual play (the only place where Smash Ball is enabled, anyways), they'd be broken otherwise. Take someone's stock, grab the Smash ball, and then you could KO them again at 0%.

Final Smashes already KO at like 50% anyways, so I don't think they need to be any more powerful. At lower percents, they still put the player caught by them at a free, hefty disadvantage.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

As much as I'd love for Ridley to have an even more powerful Final Smash, imagine auto-KOing three characters who got trapped in his attack. That's ridiculously OP in casual play.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here's a random question that popped in my head: what would Ridley sound like if he laughed?

I ask due to thinking of Subspace Emissary Bowser and how they did it with his monster noises.

Top Bottom