• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I think it's way too early to make that sort of call. Players are getting accustom to the new physics of the game as well as character that, from what we've seen, is not as pick-up-and-play like Inkling or any returning character. Expecting top-tier play for Ridley at this point is setting your expectations way to high and then extrapolating that to Ridley being awful is just irresponsible.

People do seem to be struggling with our Space Pirate Overlord, but I think with the tools he has we will see play get better and him win more matches once people get a proper grasp on the game and the character. Any damning judgements like that should be saved for December 7th at the earliest, but ideally later than that.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I can distinctly remember seeing a lot of Bayonetta players losing matches nonstop in For Glory for a couple days after her release, so I wouldn’t worry too much about Ridley being bad from these videos.

Besides, it’s only an early build of the game. Ridley can be buffed.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know we all want Ridley to be good, but honestly, it shouldn't matter if Ridley is OP like Bayontta or garbage-tier like Jigglypuff. No matter what the end result is, we finally got the character who we've been supporting for over a decade and proved to the detractors that his size wasn't an issue. That by itself is a huge personal win.

If you only want Ridley if he's mid-tier or higher, then that just shows that your love for the character is conditional.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I will definitely play Ridley regardless of what tier he is but it would be nice to see him be competitively viable on some level. I guess we’ll see what happens after December 7th. He does have potential from what I’ve seen so far but some of his specials could be toned down when it comes to start up and end lag.

I would like his neutral special to be quicker and more useful but not to the point of being spammable. Sort of like Mewtwo’s shadow ball.

EDIT: His N-air has an insane hit box. I can see it being used often.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
....yeah, I play a lot of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf since Melee, so 'high tier' has never been really important to me.

I'm just excited to see what it feels like to play Riddles finally, who cares what the competitive community thinks (PS: He's not small and fast, so therefore he's low tier to begin with). All I know is I'll be having fun.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I play Ganondorf, Samus, Jigglypuff and a myriad of other characters ranging from low-mid tier I use a few higher tier characters and dropped some characters because their play style isn’t as fun in Smash 3DS/Wii U as they were in Brawl (Like, Sonic, but he feels better this game, so I’ll be using him this time around). I’ve wanted Ridley since Brawl and after years of grueling and tiresome arguments concerning his viability as a playable character all because of his size, you can bet your ass I’ll be playing him. What matters about a character is if they’re fun to play and feel like the character, Ridley tics both of those.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
from what I've seen I think people are just playing him poorly (which is to be expected) all these videos of him losing seem to mainly just be more on the players then the character itself.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Ridley seems to be a spacing character. That tends to require some initial learning of the character, as you need to grasp which tools to use when, more so than other characters.

Marth is not hard to learn to play, but anyone not having used him before will find him hard to use at first. I suspect Ridley to be the same.

That the impression I've gotten from the matches I've watched.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ridley seems to be a spacing character. That tends to require some initial learning of the character, as you need to grasp which tools to use when, more so than other characters.

Marth is not hard to learn to play, but anyone not having used him before will find him hard to use at first. I suspect Ridley to be the same.

That the impression I've gotten from the matches I've watched.
Most of his moves do indeed cause more damage when tippered, the tail ones specifically. Though they're much milder examples than most.
Down b seems like an extreme example of this, but it can actually fail at the full extent of it's range so the sweetspot is a little more specific.

Love the Lineless Rids, pretty useful for color picking.
View attachment 151326
And something I doodled out of this rumor from some days ago. If they indeed end up closing Retro, it is gonna hurt. :(
If it's Retro, shouldn't it be Meta Ridley then? Or at least a Meta in the midst of becoming Proteus?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Most of his moves do indeed cause more damage when tippered, the tail ones specifically. Though they're much milder examples than most.
Down b seems like an extreme example of this, but it can actually fail at the full extent of it's range so the sweetspot is a little more specific.

If it's Retro, shouldn't it be Meta Ridley then? Or at least a Meta in the midst of becoming Proteus?
I wanted to put Ridley's reaction overall no mater the form. I would have gone with Omega or Meta but the Classic one is the most easy to put expressions on.

R0Y

Smash Master
It is weird seeing a Ridley ghost account from so long ago. I remember it being used/controlled one time for some reason.
That's its only post I can still see on the site, so that right there might be what you're thinking of. It's been 4 years but I actually remember not being able to view their other posts at the time either, and considering they joined in December 2001 I'm not surprised.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Something we also need to take into account concerning the footage we've seen of Ridley, majority of the roster in the demo build is comprised of veterans. Most players, even if their main is altered or feels different from the way they play in Brawl, PM, or Smash 4, they will still be familiar with their moveset to get a gameplan going, thus having a better chance at victory, most of the people who played Ridley simply did not understand him and thought he was "pick up and play", I also fall in this group as well, however, that's not to say he's difficult to play, just that he feels different. You might be thinking, "Well, people playing the Inklings were doing just fine." and I get that, but Ridley also has the very glaring weaknesses of being a large target meaning easy combo food and being relatively light for his size. The Inklings having a much more straight forward toolkit is also something to consider as well. Its best judgement about Ridley's viability is saved until sometime after December 7th.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I will definitely play Ridley regardless of what tier he is but it would be nice to see him be competitively viable on some level. I guess we’ll see what happens after December 7th. He does have potential from what I’ve seen so far but some of his specials could be toned down when it comes to start up and end lag.

I would like his neutral special to be quicker and more useful but not to the point of being spammable. Sort of like Mewtwo’s shadow ball.

EDIT: His N-air has an insane hit box. I can see it being used often.
Behold, as Zaki proceeds with spin to win like a furious Garuga on a hapless Marth.

His up b is looking more and more like an interesting option to break zoning.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Behold, as Zaki proceeds with spin to win like a furious Garuga on a hapless Marth.

Look at the size of Ridley in that match. He's way too big! :p

In all seriousness though that was a neat match for sure!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

I pointed it out in our Discord, but Ridley is almost the exact same size as Brawl/Smash 4 when he picks up the Super Mushroom (minus proportions/his wing size).

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I'm gonna be real, I wasn't on the Ridley hype train until I got to see him in action. I think it's his air game potential mixed in with his zoning tools that makes me so excited to play him. I think when I get this game on launch, I'm gonna try and see if I can combo from jump out of side-B

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
https://youtu.be/LRzM1vnJKUI

Found a good battle between Ridley and Pokémon Trainer. Ridley won both of the two games. This and the video between Ridley and Marth puts my mind at ease about Ridley’s viability a bit.

EDIT sorry for no preview. Not sure how to embed videos on here.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

xD.png

Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt XD I honestly don't know at this point what has been the craziest thing I had to do when drawing Ridley, but I can safely say this is one of them!
Like I mentioned with the other drawing, please, don't use it or share it in any way anywhere here or outside of the boards, thank you. :)

AndreaAC

wonder if a classic ridley alt custom would work?
If you mean like the Meta Ridley one, I think it would if they gave it the same body proportions as the default design. :> I would like to have that too for plenty of reasons. :)

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Ah, finally some competent Ridley play.

That Side B is going to be the bane of Little Macs, that's for sure.

Worst comes to worst, we can mod.
Yeah, the modding scene for Smash 4 was surprisingly big, despite being on the Wii U and how difficult it was to use. I have a feeling with the Switch being so much more popular, homebrew and mods are going to have even more support due to increased interest and demand, and hopefully we'll see things be easier and larger.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wait did I just see Ridley jump out of his Down air?

If so then jeez, that's gonna be a good tool to play mind games on...
As cool of a mechanic that'd be, he hit the palm tree on the right side of the stage assuming you mean 2 minutes and 10-ish seconds in
EDIT: Oooh after that he did what you mean, sometimes the momentum's whack and the attack gets cancelled out early

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As cool of a mechanic that'd be, he hit the palm tree on the right side of the stage assuming you mean 2 minutes and 10-ish seconds in
EDIT: Oooh after that he did what you mean, sometimes the momentum's whack and the attack gets cancelled out early
I know at the very least Zero Suit Samus had similar properties on her dair, not falling much with it at all if she had any kind of upward momentum. Someone ought to experiment doing this move out of a mid-air jump.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
All characters with down airs that send them plummeting could do it, IIRC. I recall doing it with Toon Link, Sonic, G&W, Corrin, Bowser and Sheik herself.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
All characters with down airs that send them plummeting could do it, IIRC. I recall doing it with Toon Link, Sonic, G&W, Corrin, Bowser and Sheik herself.
If that's the case I wonder how the heck it's gonna look like when you do it out of a short hop attack

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this was definitely the case back in Brawl and PM as well. I remember that coming up a lot when I would test out the earlier stages of the Ridley mod that Bagan made back then and occasionally the pogo tail attack would go much slower than it should've.

Top Bottom