• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Luckily detractors' opinions don't matter anymore (if they ever did), in the end Ridley is in the game, whatever they think of it is up to them, when Ridley eventually becomes old news we won't ever have to listen to their nonsense again. For the record I'm pretty sure his standing up straight taunt is meant to look silly, just look at that goofy *** smile he makes while doing it, it's nothing but a joke about the whole size controversy.
The people right now who I’ll be glad to see eventually go away in the long run are those who push this narrative that we as a fanbase somehow forced Sakurai to put Ridley in Smash. I mean we’re glad he changed his mind, but nothing was stopping him from still having his SSB4 mindset and making Ridley a hazard again. Am guessing it’s mostly people who didn’t like that we weren’t satisfied with Hazardly or wouldn’t settle for “compromising” ideas like playable boss mode, so now they say we forced Sakurai. Like okay, whatever helps you sleep at night.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The people right now who I’ll be glad to see eventually go away in the long run are those who push this narrative that we as a fanbase somehow forced Sakurai to put Ridley in Smash. I mean we’re glad he changed his mind, but nothing was stopping him from still having his SSB4 mindset and making Ridley a hazard again. Am guessing it’s mostly people who didn’t like that we weren’t satisfied with Hazardly or wouldn’t settle for “compromising” ideas like playable boss mode, so now they say we forced Sakurai. Like okay, whatever helps you sleep at night.
Protip: anytime someone trashes on a character for getting in Smash, for any reason other than simply not liking them, ask what character they wanted and DIDN'T get. The long-running misconception of ''clones taking spots from deserving characters'' is legendary.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Protip: anytime someone trashes on a character for getting in Smash, for any reason other than simply not liking them, ask what character they wanted and DIDN'T get. The long-running misconception of ''clones taking spots from deserving characters'' is legendary.
Kind of hoped this narrative would stop by Ultimate now that every single fighter is back..

I still dislike Dark Pit but to claim that a tweaked Pit recolor has the same time and resources but into them as Ridley is comically overexaggerated. Incidentally, the reason why I hated Dark Pit/Lucina/Dr.Mario during Smash 4 was that even though they were minimum effort, that effort could have gone into porting Wolf's or Lucas's code into the base game, because at least that character was already created for Smash and just needed to be tweaked for the new engine.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Don't know if somebody already showed this here, but Gamexplain made a video showcasing the Ridley (and Inkling) amiibo.
I NEED IT.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Don't know if somebody already showed this here, but Gamexplain made a video showcasing the Ridley (and Inkling) amiibo.
I NEED IT.
I think it was shown already, but still...can't wait to have him! ;'3 It's the most gorgeous piece of plastic Nintendo has ever done when it comes to the merchandise... xD And can't wait to have it as a reference to draw Rids even more.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I NEED IT.
I really like how his amiibo turned out. He managed to avoid getting the stand that many of the other amiibos had, and his design looks so good as a figure. As soon as it goes up online I'm pre-ordering it, no questions asked.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He could;ve used any other word except *cruel* (KRool). Lol. Brutal, viscous or even deadly would have been appropriate...but why did he have to say Ridley's moves are more on the KRool (cruel) side. Just made me flinch a little due to King K. Rools name being a pun for the english word "Cruel".
I mean, that's what the translator said, not Sakurai

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
so when do you think we get are next reveal?
It depends on how many newcomers we'll get and if they'll keep any of them secret. I'd probably say we'll get our next newcomer some time between late July to mid August, but that's assuming we get somewhere around 7-8 newcomers and none are going to be secret, could easily be longer than that depending on how they've decided to do things.

I'm interested in seeing if they feel the need for a Nintendo Direct to reveal a newcomer aswell as that was the case most of the time with Smash 4, or if they're going to do like they did with Robin/Lucina and stream just the trailer on Youtube. I suspect we'll see a fair bit of the latter scenario given the short time until release.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So I just realized the Ridley trailer was basically a more action-packed version of this comic.
My favourite Ridley moment from this comic was the end of the arc where Bowser and Ganondorf try swapping their nemeses. After being re-defeated and put in body casts, Ridley asks what happened to them (Bowser answers, fell off a tower) and pities their inability to fly, causing Ganondorf to tell him to shut up in double dose of irony. And Ridley just has the most jolly grin you'll ever see, as if the way he is usually defeated (being blown up by hundreds of missiles and beams) doesn't bother him at all.

funny ridley.png

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My favourite Ridley moment from this comic was the end of the arc where Bowser and Ganondorf try swapping their nemeses. After being re-defeated and put in body casts, Ridley asks what happened to them (Bowser answers, fell off a tower) and pities their inability to fly, causing Ganondorf to tell him to shut up in double dose of irony. And Ridley just the most jolly grin you'll ever see, as if the way he is usually defeated (being blown up by hundreds of missiles and beams) doesn't bother him at all.

View attachment 150689
Ridley doesn't care how he's defeated. He knows he'll be back in the next Metroid game regardless.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I mean, that's what the translator said, not Sakurai
Assuming the translator just made up a completely different word in a flash as to not repeat Sakurais exact words, even though that'd be creating more work for yourself, being the translator when your giving detailed info on the spot. I'm sure Sakurai said exactly that. No way to disprove it or prove it. Just unusual word choice imo. xD

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I still find it hilarious that Ridley literally murdered Mario and Megaman in his trailer

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
He almost didn't. I'm sure you already know, but there's concept art and even placeholder music for "Dark Ridley".

The Ing seem like Ridley's kinda people, honestly.
Tbh I would've liked to see him in Prime 2 and get possessed by the Ing, yeah. Also, now I gotta look up those things. Didn't know there was concept art or placeholder music.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Tbh I would've liked to see him in Prime 2 and get possessed by the Ing, yeah. Also, now I gotta look up those things. Didn't know there was concept art or placeholder music.
Don't get too excited about the music. It's just Meta Ridley slowed down to half speed. Sounds creepy but it's not particularly interesting.

It makes sense why Ridley wasn't on Aether though. The PIrates that got stranded there were basically a bunch nobodies that got caught in Fed Space while mining for Phazon on what appeared to be a mostly uninhabited planet. Obviously once they got there, things were a bit more exciting, but sending Ridley with them in the first place would be like getting a stealth bomber to guard a public works project.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Assuming the translator just made up a completely different word in a flash as to not repeat Sakurais exact words, even though that'd be creating more work for yourself, being the translator when your giving detailed info on the spot. I'm sure Sakurai said exactly that. No way to disprove it or prove it. Just unusual word choice imo. xD
Language translation isn’t 1:1, especially Japanese to English. I’d have to listen to the Japanese dialogue again (my ability to understand it is fairly piss poor anyway), but it’s likely such a word could also be translated as “vicious” or “evil” depending on context.

Plus K. Rool’s name in Japan is pronounced more like “Kururu” anyway so that probably wouldn’t even occur to them.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Don't get too excited about the music. It's just Meta Ridley slowed down to half speed. Sounds creepy but it's not particularly interesting.
Ok, I just looked up the concept art for "Dark Ridley" and...what's very interesting is that he's shown wearing the Dark Suit, transformed to accommodate his body and likely fused with his meta parts.
Now I wonder that since Ridley was initially planed from Prime 2, was he or was he not intended to be possessed by the Ing?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ok, I just looked up the concept art for "Dark Ridley" and...what's very interesting is that he's shown wearing the Dark Suit, transformed to accommodate his body and likely fused with his meta parts.
Now I wonder that since Ridley was initially planed from Prime 2, was he or was he not intended to be possessed by the Ing?
Oh, right, it is, isn't it? Maybe Ridley was too willful and/or intelligent for the Ing to possess? It says in-game that creatures with strong enough will can ward off Ing possession, and it's likely that Ridley would be able to kill most of them in battle, so maybe Dark Ridley is referring to his equipment rather than being possessed.

He also has an arm cannon. I would've loved to see that boss fight in action.

D

Deleted member

It came to mind, Sakurai's remarks after brawl about Ridley were he'd have to be a bit slow, and his remarks after Wii U said he'd have to fly freely.

And looking at what we've seen have Ridley so far, he seems lightweight, Maybe was he just hesitant on adding a character that's both heavy and agile in the air and ended up going for the latter when he felt the demand was big enough?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It came to mind, Sakurai's remarks after brawl about Ridley were he'd have to be a bit slow, and his remarks after Wii U said he'd have to fly freely.

And looking at what we've seen have Ridley so far, he seems lightweight, Maybe was he just hesitant on adding a character that's both heavy and agile in the air and ended up going for the latter when he felt the demand was big enough?
:wario::warioc::4wario2::4wario:

In all seriousness, Ridley certainly seems far lighter than other fighters of comparable size, but I doubt he's full-on lightweight. At least middleweight,
or a bit above average is my guess. This is balanced out by his frame data being much better than most heavies along with his mobility. He looks to be a bruiser in the same vein as Captain Falcon, heck the down b could be seen as his version of the knee.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
He looks to be a bruiser in the same vein as Captain Falcon, heck the down b could be seen as his version of the knee.
Just watch as "The Tail" becomes the hypest move in the game, each succesful sweetspot earning a standing applause from tournament audience and automatically becoming EMG's Play of the Week.

IronTed

Smash Ace
IIRC, in Prime 2 Sanctuary Fortress was initially supposed to have a lot of Pirates. Not just "Dark Ridley", but also Elite Pirates as well. But considering that the Pirates were the tertiary antagonist of the game, having the Ingsmashers and Quadraxis was unquestionably the better call. Besides, Prime 3 made up for the lack of Ridley with 2 boss fights and Pirates almost everywhere. We even got 2 new Ridley designs as well.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, even though I agree it was a good idea to cut back on the Pirates presence in Prime 2 in order to to the Ing and Dark Samus the spotlight, I still would've liked to see what the game would've been like if the Pirates had a larger presence, maybe as big as the one they had on Tallon IV. I think most would agree that the Space Pirate logs are very entertaining reads, since they expand on their overall character. The logs in Prime 1 showed us how amoral the SP are, and the huge arrogance and feeling of superiority they have for their race to even show contempt for the dead Chozo native to Tallon.
If they were given a large presence on Aether, we would've likely gotten more Pirate logs outside of their base in Agon, and their feelings on the whole conflict would've been more fleshed out as fluff wise they would have more manpower and resources to better understand the whole situation on Aether. How would they feel about the Ing and the Luminoth? Would they feel contempt for the Luminoth since they were on the loosing side of the war? It would make for similar amusing logs like in Prime 1 if say, the Pirates saw huge military potential in the Ing and were intent on enslaving them, only to express frustration in how difficult it is to actually capture an Ing.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
IIRC, in Prime 2 Sanctuary Fortress was initially supposed to have a lot of Pirates. Not just "Dark Ridley", but also Elite Pirates as well. But considering that the Pirates were the tertiary antagonist of the game, having the Ingsmashers and Quadraxis was unquestionably the better call. Besides, Prime 3 made up for the lack of Ridley with 2 boss fights and Pirates almost everywhere. We even got 2 new Ridley designs as well.
We need to have a Quadraxis boss fight in some capacity where it makes it's entrance crushing a Guardian Stalker from Breath Of The Wild, to show who's
the REAL Guardian around them parts. Oh and I guess Megaleg from Mario Galaxy can show up too.

Y'know, even though I agree it was a good idea to cut back on the Pirates presence in Prime 2 in order to to the Ing and Dark Samus the spotlight, I still would've liked to see what the game would've been like if the Pirates had a larger presence, maybe as big as the one they had on Tallon IV. I think most would agree that the Space Pirate logs are very entertaining reads, since they expand on their overall character. The logs in Prime 1 showed us how amoral the SP are, and the huge arrogance and feeling of superiority they have for their race to even show contempt for the dead Chozo native to Tallon.
If they were given a large presence on Aether, we would've likely gotten more Pirate logs outside of their base in Agon, and their feelings on the whole conflict would've been more fleshed out as fluff wise they would have more manpower and resources to better understand the whole situation on Aether. How would they feel about the Ing and the Luminoth? Would they feel contempt for the Luminoth since they were on the loosing side of the war? It would make for similar amusing logs like in Prime 1 if say, the Pirates saw huge military potential in the Ing and were intent on enslaving them, only to express frustration in how difficult it is to actually capture an Ing.
What's funny about the Ing is that, despite their warmongering, bloodlust and occasional cannibalism if a keybearer's log is to be trusted, they are shown to have a culture, ranks and organization, despite the fact that, if we go by the assumption that the Leviathan brought them into existence, they've only been around for a few months, tops.

Also curious is the pirate logs never, ever mention their troops getting possesed by the Ing, even though evidence of that happening is everywhere... except maybe certain mentions of troops going missing or failing to report. Maybe the Ing are just really sneaky about it.

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
We need to have a Quadraxis boss fight in some capacity where it makes it's entrance crushing a Guardian Stalker from Breath Of The Wild, to show who's
the REAL Guardian around them parts. Oh and I guess Megaleg from Mario Galaxy can show up too.

What's funny about the Ing is that, despite their warmongering, bloodlust and occasional cannibalism if a keybearer's log is to be trusted, they are shown to have a culture, ranks and organization, despite the fact that, if we go by the assumption that the Leviathan brought them into existence, they've only been around for a few months, tops.

Also curious is the pirate logs never, ever mention their troops getting possesed by the Ing, even though evidence of that happening is everywhere... except maybe certain mentions of troops going missing or failing to report. Maybe the Ing are just really sneaky about it.
Actually if I recall, there was a Luminoth log that implied that the whole war had gone on for over 5 decades, so the Ing have been around for atleast 50 years.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I’ve played Ridley for 4 games at CEO so far. He’s a blast, his aerials are pretty great and his specials are fun to use even if situational. His down b isn’t hard to land on a large target though. I can confirm his title on the boxing stage is “The cunning god of death”

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I hope Prime 4 has a series of log entries written by Ridley just to develop him a little more.

StormC

Smash Hero
I’ve played Ridley for 4 games at CEO so far. He’s a blast, his aerials are pretty great and his specials are fun to use even if situational. His down b isn’t hard to land on a large target though. I can confirm his title on the boxing stage is “The cunning god of death”
Can't wait to play as him. Not sure if I'll main him (I imagine I'll still get a lot of use out of :ultcloud:), but he'll definitely enter my For Fun cycle.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Actually if I recall, there was a Luminoth log that implied that the whole war had gone on for over 5 decades, so the Ing have been around for atleast 50 years.
OK, but the Ing clearly had all their affairs in order long before the war's end, or possibly even before their first attacks. Eh, guess I'll just chalk up creating an entire cognizant race from ''planetary energy'' and radiation as one of those fantasy (magic) moments in Metroid.

Interesting. I've seen the down b sourspot on hits too far as opposed to too close, so maybe the condition is that the ''spearhead'' must be completely embedded in the target's hurtbox, which would explain why you had better luck on big bodies.

Edit: I paused Ridley's clip on the smash website on him doing the move on Fox, and did they include graphic effects to evoke blood splatters?

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
OK, but the Ing clearly had all their affairs in order long before the war's end, or possibly even before their first attacks. Eh, guess I'll just chalk up creating an entire cognizant race from ''planetary energy'' and radiation as one of those fantasy (magic) moments in Metroid.

Interesting. I've seen the down b sourspot on hits too far as opposed to too close, so maybe the condition is that the ''spearhead'' must be completely embedded in the target's hurtbox, which would explain why you had better luck on big bodies.
Some more notes: he struggles vs combo heavy characters with a gap closer (pikachu, bayo), and has issues dealing with camping characters (villager, samus, cloud). He wins matchups against heavies pretty solidly because his aerial game is comparable to clouds with less aerial mobility and he has his down b which tends to land much more consistently on bigger targets. Mid range fighters or combo characters without a gap closer appear to be more mixed matchups. I think you are right In the idea that the impaling down b hitbox only lands if the base of the spike is in the opponents hurt-box.
His tilts are pretty good, smashes mediocre, fireballs are ok dmg but are kinda slow so you won’t land them often, as well as a high amount of ending lag. His side b has pretty high startup but can be good for repositioning you and your opponent if they are just in the right spot and can’t react to it. Down b doesn’t have real follow ups off of it, you use the crumple to favorably reposition if possible. His fair is a really solid option for keeping opponents off stage, an extremely generous move.

Edit: I paused Ridley's clip on the smash website on him doing the move on Fox, and did they include graphic effects to evoke blood splatters?
It does have the power effect where the screen slows down right after you land it in a 1 vs 1, with the “strong move landed” lightning as well. No blood splatter

Last edited:
Top Bottom