• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ultimate Challenge:

Do an 8-player Smash on Pyrosphere and play as Samus. Add seven Ridleys, put them on the hardest difficulty setting, and defeat them all while avoiding the Ridley stage hazard.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Ridley was the the driving force in Metroid Prime, if Ridley and Samus hadn't encountered eachother, Samus wouldn't have gone to Tallon IV and accidentally discover the Phazon stuff
This is one of my favorite things about Ridley -- his hubris. I have a feeling that Ridley hoped it would be Samus that would answer the SOS from Frigate Orpheon, so he could have Samus come right to her and he could kill her. In doing so, he leads her right to the discovery of Phazon and the Chozo remnants on Tallon. Even if he had considered those things as a possibility, his desire to have Samus show up and kill her probably overrode that.

Actually it was kinda stupid for Ridley to lead Samus straight to the space pirate phazon research. Although maybe for the best. He was still freshly revived and likely couldn't escape the gun ship in deep space.
He likely was nevertheless confident that he'd kill Samus once he was back at full strength. From his perspective, it probably didn't matter that Samus found all that pirate research because he intended to kill her before she could leave the planet.

The only thing about Other M that I'll defend to anybody without reservation is the portrayal of Ridley's personality throughout the game. The great thing about the demon furby other than being highly unsettling is that it showed how intelligent Ridley was. Making him the furby meant you couldn't just brush him off as a brutish giant; he knew how to get his way big or small. Seriously, the only thing I didn't like about Ridley in that game was his duck bill.
Yeah the duck bill was awful. Other M did Ridley well despite his literal physical appearance and making him a Pokemon (but at least it's not actual Ridley so that's fine I guess). That and the finishing moves. Everything else (besides some music tracks and the graphics on the Wii) was utter trash.

I'm still more impressed by the references to the manga than anything else. It's the #1 source for Ridley's personality, but
a manga is not an obvious place to look for inspiration regarding a videogame character, especially with the argument that such
things are not considered canon simply due to writers/developers being different, and the games only briefly hinting Ridley's nature, if at all.

But here we are, with a Ridley that not only clearly enjoys the pain he brings, but also shows it (previous Ridleys always seemed to stuck either perpetually
grinning or frowning), along with his burning hatred for Samus thanks to a face that can actually convey emotion. And judging by the E3 Twitter reactions,
even if Ridley's inclusion doesn't necessarily make Metroid more popular, it will certainly increase interest in Ridley as a character instead of just as a
recurring boss.
Not sure if it'll make Metroid more popular, but it probably does help. It seems like we've entered another golden age of Metroid, like the one we had from Prime to Prime 3. First Samus Returns, now Ridley in Smash, then Prime 4 coming soon. This definitely bodes well for the franchise.

Even though Metroid hasn't been the most popular (mostly due to its content and serious nature), it garners a ton of respect because on average the franchise is very highly rated. I think this is the culmination of Ridley's role and influence in the series. We've always known he's essentially the major antagonist of the series, and now he's been given the ultimate honor he's deserved for a while.

In the last decade, Ridley has become mythologized through Smash in a way no other character quite has. So much speculation, memes, and fanart about this one character who eludes playability. In a way, it really couldn't have been anyone else but him announced at E3.

He'll definitely get even more attention now that he's in. But this bony purple pterodactyl was already an internet legend.
Very true. It pretty much had to be Ridley (although he's not a pterodactyl btw).

We got an official confirmation that not all stages will be returning.

As much as I originally hated it, I'll admit that I'd be a little sad to find out Pyrosphere is one of the few stages not returning. Yeah, it was a huge disappointment for us all back during Smash 4 speculation, but it was still pretty cool for Ridley to be one of three stage bosses.

I can live without it, but now that Ridley's in Smash, I'm starting to appreciate Pyrosphere more as a cool tribute to our favorite space dragon.
Pyrosphere is a cool stage. I think some of the stages that won't be returning will be ones like Sector Z which might be a bit redundant.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Always loved Pyrosphere's visuals, but the stage was a proper headache to play. Ridley was already too intrusive of a stage hazard for me, but then you also had the larvas and the flying sentry guns which just made it even more of a mess. Even with the newfound ability to turn off hazards the stage is also too long, matches would take forever and it'd heavily encourage camping.

Still, I wouldn't mind having it back just to complete the Smash 4 dream of having a Ridley vs Samus matchup on the FD version, that first picture of it we got with Bowser substituting for Ridley still sticks in my mind. I do think that it's one of the few stages that won't make it back though.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Always loved Pyrosphere's visuals, but the stage was a proper headache to play. Ridley was already too intrusive of a stage hazard for me, but then you also had the larvas and the flying sentry guns which just made it even more of a mess. Even with the newfound ability to turn off hazards the stage is also too long, matches would take forever and it'd heavily encourage camping.

Still, I wouldn't mind having it back just to complete the Smash 4 dream of having a Ridley vs Samus matchup on the FD version, that first picture of it we got with Bowser substituting for Ridley still sticks in my mind. I do think that it's one of the few stages that won't make it back though.
There was already a hazard switch for such stages before it was a thing.

Playing with more than 4 players. Seriously, am I the only one who remembers that bosses didn't show up in those circumstances? I sure as
hell remember never seeing Metal Face on Gaur Plains because of this.

2002 was a really special year for Metroid, all things considered.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We got an official confirmation that not all stages will be returning.

As much as I originally hated it, I'll admit that I'd be a little sad to find out Pyrosphere is one of the few stages not returning. Yeah, it was a huge disappointment for us all back during Smash 4 speculation, but it was still pretty cool for Ridley to be one of three stage bosses.

I can live without it, but now that Ridley's in Smash, I'm starting to appreciate Pyrosphere more as a cool tribute to our favorite space dragon.
When was this? so Brinstar Depths and Fountain of Dreams won't likely make it back then?
I assume we've pretty much seen all the returning stages if true.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
When was this? so Brinstar Depths and Fountain of Dreams won't likely make it back then?
I assume we've pretty much seen all the returning stages if true.
In a recent interview this was said. Although they didn't specify which stages wouldn't be returning.

D

Deleted member

In a recent interview this was said. Although they didn't specify which stages wouldn't be returning.
Well i had a feeling not all of them could come back, due to Miiverse, i also don't expect Orbital Gate due to it taking a year to make or something.

I guess Brinstar Depths is rather unlikely, as Ivysaur is back and he couldn't recover at all on that stage.

A big shame though, that was my favorite stage from Melee

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If you're able to preserve your jumps, land his command grab while recovering and jump cancel it, imagine the KOs you could get knocking people under the stage.

Being able to cancel it all offstage looks to be a fantastic mixup for an otherwise ordinary suicide move. Either the opponent mashes to escape and potentially
mis-inputs an attack when Ridley cancels early, or they don't and let Ridley drag them down too far to recover.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There was already a hazard switch for such stages before it was a thing.

Playing with more than 4 players. Seriously, am I the only one who remembers that bosses didn't show up in those circumstances? I sure as
hell remember never seeing Metal Face on Gaur Plains because of this.

2002 was a really special year for Metroid, all things considered.
Not really an ideal way of doing it, especially not for those of us who primarily play 1v1. I actually don't think I ever made use of 8 player Smash in any way.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Didn't Fusion have different endings in Japan chronicling Samus's backstory, including the encounter with Ridley?
Oh yeah, there was that too...

mfjn-1.png

2002 really jumpstarted Ridley's importance to the series more than I ever previously realized.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
While the detractors have calmed down and I don’t particularly care about them, I do find it ****ing hilarious that people are using Ridley’s standing up taunt as proof that Ridley looks awkward small (Shokio most notably). Like, have they ever seen Roidley standing up? Ridley standing up straight any size would make him look ridiculously goofy, but Roidley is the worst offender in this. Not only does he have the worst Ridley design, he really shows that Ridley should NEVER stand up on two feet because of how goofy it looks. Though I’m fine with the Smash taunt, I don’t think he actually looks bad.

44B28DD7-483A-4B03-8E83-E2488A9C1DD2.png

But seriously look at this ****. He looks insanely dumb.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Not really an ideal way of doing it, especially not for those of us who primarily play 1v1. I actually don't think I ever made use of 8 player Smash in any way.
8 Player Smash always seemed like the dumbest addition to me. Who on Earth has 8 GameCube controllers laying around? I assume it was made for those rooftop parties where everyone brings their cool Nintendo™ Switch™ and link up to play Super Smash Bros.™ Ultimate™ exclusively for the Nintendo™ Switch™. Obviously it'll be more feasible now that you can use Joy-Cons™ (sorry) but can you imagine doing it in mobile mode, on that tiny screen? Woof.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Well i had a feeling not all of them could come back, due to Miiverse, i also don't expect Orbital Gate due to it taking a year to make or something.

I guess Brinstar Depths is rather unlikely, as Ivysaur is back and he couldn't recover at all on that stage.

A big shame though, that was my favorite stage from Melee
You're in luck. Check out the background on Ridley's fighter page, which seems to reveal that Brinstar Depths might be his home stage, but definitely seems to reveal its return.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You're in luck. Check out the background on Ridley's fighter page, which seems to reveal that Brinstar Depths might be his home stage, but definitely seems to reveal its return.
That's just plain old regular Brinstar.

While the detractors have calmed down and I don’t particularly care about them, I do find it ****ing hilarious that people are using Ridley’s standing up taunt as proof that Ridley looks awkward small (Shokio most notably). Like, have they ever seen Roidley standing up? Ridley standing up straight any size would make him look ridiculously goofy, but Roidley is the worst offender in this. Not only does he have the worst Ridley design, he really shows that Ridley should NEVER stand up on two feet because of how goofy it looks. Though I’m fine with the Smash taunt, I don’t think he actually looks bad.

View attachment 150381
But seriously look at this ****. He looks insanely dumb.
Luckily detractors' opinions don't matter anymore (if they ever did), in the end Ridley is in the game, whatever they think of it is up to them, when Ridley eventually becomes old news we won't ever have to listen to their nonsense again. For the record I'm pretty sure his standing up straight taunt is meant to look silly, just look at that goofy ass smile he makes while doing it, it's nothing but a joke about the whole size controversy.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime xD Can I say how much I love the git you got for your signature? Gotta love that dramatic zoom in on Ridley. Also how much I wish I could find a better gif with Ridley's normal color while in his clapping animation, and also Rosa's animation.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That moment when you realize Ridley's reveal came in the spot usually reserved for third party characters (the official reveal of a Smash game).

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
We know that some Nintendo employees keep track of Smashboards, Nate Bihldorff mentioned the forum on NeoGAF sometime after Brawl was released, and considering it's only grown since I can't imagine it's any different now. I'm pretty sure Sakurai doesn't read it himself though, but it does seem like there are people who do some scouting for him so he has a clear idea of how things are on the western front. I mean, he specifically mentioned the western demand for Ridley as one of the reasons he got in, and it was far bigger on Smashboards than anywhere else on the internet, so I'd say our voices were heard pretty clearly.

I'm not too sure we have anything to do with the titles though, or that it's even Sakurai who comes up with them.
Can someone link or show me this interview where Sakurai cites the western fanbase? I can't seem to find it.

StormC

Smash Hero
Can someone link or show me this interview where Sakurai cites the western fanbase? I can't seem to find it.

4:40 mark.

“[Ridley’s] about four meters tall. Because of that, it was very hard to actually get him into the game in a working condition, but there was a lot of outcry from fans, especially overseas, so we decided to put him in.”

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127

“[Ridley’s] about four meters tall. Because of that, it was very hard to actually get him into the game in a working condition, but there was a lot of outcry from fans, especially overseas, so we decided to put him in.”
Damn, that's honestly awesome to hear straight from Sakurai's mouth.
Well technically, the translator's mouth, but Sakurai still said it in Japanese. XP

D

Deleted member

Thanks but that's not the one i meant, as the others have said, the one with Kraid.

Oh well though, at least there's a new remix, i hope there's more returning melee stages to come.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime xD Can I say how much I love the git you got for your signature? Gotta love that dramatic zoom in on Ridley. Also how much I wish I could find a better gif with Ridley's normal color while in his clapping animation, and also Rosa's animation.
Thanks! I couldn’t really find that particular part of the trailer that was gif’d like that, so it took me a little while to find some site the night before to use for a gif converter, and even then, I had to cut out a lot frames on the last part so the gif wouldn’t be too long to use for here.

If you show me a decent quality video with the timestamp of him clapping, I might be able to find the place I google’d to gif that for ya, along with Rosalina’s, when I have more time off after my shift tomorrow anyway...

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Small question: do we know what Ridley's reveal card says in the Japanese version? I was wondering if it was also a "big" pun, or if it referenced something else.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Thanks! I couldn’t really find that particular part of the trailer that was gif’d like that, so it took me a little while to find some site the night before to use for a gif converter, and even then, I had to cut out a lot frames on the last part so the gif wouldn’t be too long to use for here.

If you show me a decent quality video with the timestamp of him clapping, I might be able to find the place I google’d to gif that for ya, along with Rosalina’s, when I have more time off after my shift tomorrow anyway...
^u^ Awesome, thank you, Prime! Tho I feel there's not gonna be a high quality one and if there's, thet are probably going to go to the next battle rather quickly and not give it much time to see the animation...I dunno. guess I should wait a little longer to get them.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Small question: do we know what Ridley's reveal card says in the Japanese version? I was wondering if it was also a "big" pun, or if it referenced something else.
Kanji.png

参戦

"participation in a battle"

Apparently the Japanese fighters don't get little clever puns like the English ones

Edit: Also apparently if you translate the characters separately it comes to "Ginseng War" So Ridley must just really love Ginseng

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
View attachment 150472

参戦

"participation in a battle"

Apparently the Japanese fighters don't get little clever puns like the English ones

Edit: Also apparently if you translate the characters separately it comes to "Ginseng War" So Ridley must just really love Ginseng
Unleashing Metroids on the universe is but one part of his master plan to acquire mass quantities of Ginseng.

1. Eat Samus' parents
2. Unleash the Metroids
3. ???
4. Profit!!! (With Ginseng)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Unleashing Metroids on the universe is but one part of his master plan to acquire mass quantities of Ginseng.

1. Eat Samus' parents
2. Unleash the Metroids
3. ???
4. Profit!!! (With Ginseng)
Ginseng is the key to a long life, apparently

Good luck with that Ridley

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Whoops, got my stages mixed up. Sorry guys, I thought that was Brinstar Depths.

I'd honestly love to see something like a stage from a Prime game, like a Phazon Leviathan, or something like a Phendrana Drifts level.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I dunno, it doesn't appear as though he's had a particularly hard time staying alive, even with an arche nemesis who wants him dead. He just keeps popping back up.
Ridley's little-known cousin Firebrand has been known to down Ginseng to restore health in a pinch.

Whoops, got my stages mixed up. Sorry guys, I thought that was Brinstar Depths.

I'd honestly love to see something like a stage from a Prime game, like a Phazon Leviathan, or something like a Phendrana Drifts level.
I get what you mean, but Frigate Orpheon is a Prime stage.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I get what you mean, but Frigate Orpheon is a Prime stage.
That's true, I did forget about Frigate Orpheon. That said, I do mean a more bright stage showing off more of Tallon IV than a stage that's dark and set inside a space station, yeah. I don't dislike Frigate Orpheon at all but I'd like a stage set in one of Prime's more... I guess colourful areas. Phendrana, Artifact Temple, Tallon Overworld, a stage in those areas would be pretty darn fun, if we're just looking at Prime 1.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
That's true, I did forget about Frigate Orpheon. That said, I do mean a more bright stage showing off more of Tallon IV than a stage that's dark and set inside a space station, yeah. I don't dislike Frigate Orpheon at all but I'd like a stage set in one of Prime's more... I guess colourful areas. Phendrana, Artifact Temple, Tallon Overworld, a stage in those areas would be pretty darn fun, if we're just looking at Prime 1.
It would be so trollish if the devs saw the want for a Prime 1 inspired stage, and just give us Magmoor Caverns "for all our Metroid lava-level needs!"

In all honesty though, I hope we don't get another lava level for a new Metroid stage in Ultimate.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I have a sneaking suspicion that there aren't going to be a lot of new stages this time around, else they wouldn't have only had two (three if you count Dong City)) new ones at E3. If there would've been a time to show off a new Metroid stage, it would've been with Ridley. I don't really mind not getting new stages, since having fun old ones is a lot better than having a bunch of awful new ones *coughSmash4coughcough*, but I still wish Metroid would've gotten a beautiful Skytown, Phendrana, or Sanctuary stage. Anything representing the massive amount of diversity in Metroid environments. Donkey Kong deserved a really great cave or sunset level, too, or any one of the great levels from Tropical Freeze.

Honestly, Metroid has more diverse environments in the Prime Trilogy than some Nintendo properties have in their entire series.

Last edited:

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of wondering if there's going to be a toggle to Switch between past versions of Final Destination and Battlefield, or are all of those going to be their own stage slot? I have my doubts about it being the latter, because that would be redundant with the Battlefield+Omega mode toggles for every stage, but it would be amazing to finally get to have some multiplayer madness going on in the original Final Destination from Smash 64 without having to mod the game or use a third-party device to access the stage.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

He could;ve used any other word except *cruel* (KRool). Lol. Brutal, viscous or even deadly would have been appropriate...but why did he have to say Ridley's moves are more on the KRool (cruel) side. Just made me flinch a little due to King K. Rools name being a pun for the english word "Cruel".

Last edited:
Top Bottom