• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Having a tail and wings doesn't remove the need for legs
Incredible insight here, thank you for pointing this out

However, I'd argue there is a middle ground between needing legs, and copying DK's kick, when Ridley has a tail and wings to use

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
One thing that actually caught me a bit off guard is that Ridley has a darkness affect for some of his attacks which just seems weird. I've always associated it with magic.

Also I wonder if Ridley will get a newcomer poster. While not on the website, Inklings actually got one posted on Twitter
https://www.ssbwiki.com/File:Inkling_poster.jpg

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I like that Sakurai is doing what so many Metroid developers haven't done with Ridley.
It certainly does give a good revisionist opinion on the idea of Sakurai doing a Metroid, at least for me. After doing so for Metroid’s sister Kid Icarus with Uprising, I was kinda iffy on the idea... but now? **** it, am curious as to what all he’d do with a Metroid, assuming it wouldn’t be on the 3DS which is slowly on its way out.

Just speaking hypothetically though of course, but yeah.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I've been reading through a bit of the Smash 4 Ridley thread recently, and I actually enjoy it now seeing that it all turned out just fine in the end. It really was crazy active back then, there's absolutely nothing like it atm, and although we did get awfully desperate at times the passion for the character is so clear to see. It's also fun to revisit a lot of the jokes and art, a lot of it I had forgotten about.

Also, my english wasn't very good back then...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Ridley was the the driving force in Metroid Prime, if Ridley and Samus hadn't encountered eachother, Samus wouldn't have gone to Tallon IV and accidentally discover the Phazon stuff
Actually it was kinda stupid for Ridley to lead Samus straight to the space pirate phazon research. Although maybe for the best. He was still freshly revived and likely couldn't escape the gun ship in deep space.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ridley was the the driving force in Metroid Prime, if Ridley and Samus hadn't encountered eachother, Samus wouldn't have gone to Tallon IV and accidentally discover the Phazon stuff
She went there because of a distress signal from an unknown source, it just so happened that Meta Ridley was there.
Any other pirate could have accomplished the same thing. And while he does serve as motivation for Samus personally,
the plot quickly shifts focus away from him until near the very end of the game, where players have most likely forgotten about
him. He's more of a convenient excuse for Samus to do stuff that doesn't involve the Federation. And it's not like he's the one who
brought the Pirates to Tallon IV, since he was kind of too busy being operated on.

Incredible insight here, thank you for pointing this out

However, I'd argue there is a middle ground between needing legs, and copying DK's kick, when Ridley has a tail and wings to use
Ridley uses pretty much every part of his body in his attacks.

Head: Jab finisher
Mouth: Dash attack
Claws: Jab combo, side b
Feet: Bair, up smash?
Wings: utilt, uair, dsmash, up b
Tail: everything else except neutral b, dair and fsmash

It's also worth noting that he used to do his grappling with his feet in Super.

Actually it was kinda stupid for Ridley to lead Samus straight to the space pirate phazon research. Although maybe for the best. He was still freshly revived and likely couldn't escape the gun ship in deep space.
Honestly, Ridley probably doesn't really care if the Pirates succeed in their goals or not. Their science stuff probably flies over his head
(he's cunning, but not BRILLIANT) and most likely isn't part of High Command. He only takes part as their military commander to indulge
his murderous tendencies.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Anyone think it's weird they basically copy and pasted, of all characters, Donkey Kongs bair Kingsfoot for Ridley? Ridley has a giant tail and wings, why is he using a kick?
There's a few characters that have a similar backwards kick for their bair. I wouldn't exactly say it's copy/pasted directly from DK specifically.

Also Ridley does use kicks for some of his other attacks as well, most notably his usmash which he does this backflip kick.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
IronTed IronTed xD I know that picture you got there is pretty old, but I can't stop trying not to laugh when I see it, even more considering the artist made the TUUUUUUBES Space Pirates if i'm not mistaking.
Thanks! I would be kinda disappointed it no one got the reference lol. I saw this several years ago I think, but it's definitely older than that. But yeah, I love not-serious Space Pirate art.

On the whole Ridley backstory thing, it depends. Learning how he became a high ranking Space Pirate sounds cool. Learning about family issues? Nah, I'm good.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Thanks! I would be kinda disappointed it no one got the reference lol. I saw this several years ago I think, but it's definitely older than that. But yeah, I love not-serious Space Pirate art.
xD Me too, honestly!

On the whole Ridley backstory thing, it depends. Learning how he became a high ranking Space Pirate sounds cool. Learning about family issues? Nah, I'm good.
I agree. In my case my Ridley wouldn't remember anything regarding his origin before becoming a pirate, nor he cares. He's just glad he's the ONLY one (xP That is why I have put him making fun of "Greed" or even fighting him. He looks like a combination between Ridley and Kraid like, what the heck?). One thing I would definitely discard if I ever made my own idea regarding Rid's beginnings would be making him have that evolution cycle that Roidley has. I know it sounds simple that he would start as a cute lil' dragon and ends up being the BIG one we all know, but I prefer that over ridiculous 'realistic' Poke-Evolution; That goes with Roidley alone.

Last edited:

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I know it sounds simple that he would start as a cute lil' dragon and ends up being the BIG one we all know, but I prefer that over ridiculous 'realistic' Poke-Evolution; That goes with Roidley alone.
I like to think that Roidley only had that evolution cycle due to having so many different types of alien DNA splattered on Samus' power suit, resulting in Ridley's DNA getting mixed with all kinds of other alien DNA during the cloning process and he would take on some traits of those other aliens.

AndreaAC

I like to think that Roidley only had that evolution cycle due to having so many different types of alien DNA splattered on Samus' power suit, resulting in Ridley's DNA getting mixed with all kinds of other alien DNA during the cloning process and he would take on some traits of those other aliens.
Now I wonder where did Samus encountered a Furby, an albino rabbit, a chicken with Bird Flu alongside a snake, and combined with Ridley's DNA turned into the Chicken Legged Furby From Hell.

Seriously speaking, that could be possible, but personally I prefer to keep that on the side of Other M only. But it is nice to come up with theories regardless.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
The only thing about Other M that I'll defend to anybody without reservation is the portrayal of Ridley's personality throughout the game. The great thing about the demon furby other than being highly unsettling is that it showed how intelligent Ridley was. Making him the furby meant you couldn't just brush him off as a brutish giant; he knew how to get his way big or small. Seriously, the only thing I didn't like about Ridley in that game was his duck bill.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The only thing about Other M that I'll defend to anybody without reservation is the portrayal of Ridley's personality throughout the game. The great thing about the demon furby other than being highly unsettling is that it showed how intelligent Ridley was. Making him the furby meant you couldn't just brush him off as a brutish giant. Seriously, the only thing I didn't like about Ridley in that game was his duck bill.
I agree, although two things
1: You mean intelligence, not personality
2: I didn't like how they built up a rematch only for the Metroid Queen to pop in

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I agree, although two things
1: You mean intelligence, not personality
2: I didn't like how they built up a rematch only for the Metroid Queen to pop in
I actually would say personality too. The only part of the PTSD cutscene that was executed well (other than Anthony Higgs) was that Ridley took advantage of the situation to just roar at Samus because he can. Similar to how, in the Smash trailer, Ridley could have just attacked Samus right off the bat, but he chose to take out Mario and Mega Man first just so he could mess with Samus. After all, when death is little more to you than a nasty cold, you can afford to have fun.

I also didn't care much for the Metroid Queen bit, but I never considered that a significant problem. The Ridley fight was enough of a climax for me, because I barely scraped out of that the first time playthrough with 1 HP on my second or third try.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I actually would say personality too. The only part of the PTSD cutscene that was executed well (other than Anthony Higgs) was that Ridley took advantage of the situation to just roar at Samus because he can. Similar to how, in the Smash trailer, Ridley could have just attacked Samus right off the bat, but he chose to take out Mario and Mega Man first just so he could mess with Samus. After all, when death is little more to you than a nasty cold, you can afford to have fun.

I also didn't care much for the Metroid Queen bit, but I never considered that a significant problem. The Ridley fight was enough of a climax for me, because I barely scraped out of that the first time playthrough with 1 HP on my second or third try.
Yeah, good point. The issue with Other M's PTSD isn't how Samus suddenly now gets hit by it, but the lack of buildup and how it comes out of nowhere if you didn't rewd the manga which never left Japan

It's not significant to me either but if you build up a rematch, then deliver on it

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was going to mention that DNA doesn't work like that

And going to use the example of cloning in Alien Resurrection since that had Ripley's DNA mixed with the Alien, which works a little differently since the Alien integrates the host's DNA into itself. I actually couldn't remember how Ripley was cloned so I didn't know if I could use that as an example. But, alien and metroid are linked pretty closely.

But then when I was typing it in google, Google knew what I was looking up with simply "How was r". And that kind of freaked me out.

So. that's really creepy Google.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I was going to mention that DNA doesn't work like that

And going to use the example of cloning in Alien Resurrection since that had Ripley's DNA mixed with the Alien, which works a little differently since the Alien integrates the host's DNA into itself. I actually couldn't remember how Ripley was cloned so I didn't know if I could use that as an example. But, alien and metroid are linked pretty closely.

But then when I was typing it in google, Google knew what I was looking up with simply "How was r". And that kind of freaked me out.

So. that's really creepy Google.
It works like that on other sites, too. If you had gone to youtube, same thing would've happened

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
A part of me will be kind of sad if Zero Suit is a much harder matchup for Ridley than Samus. There is something fundamentally wrong about that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A part of me will be kind of sad if Zero Suit is a much harder matchup for Ridley than Samus. There is something fundamentally wrong about that.
It's definitely going to be a tough matchup. Not sure where Ridley would place on the tier list, but I think ZSS is still going to be pretty high up there. Sadly I could see it being...

ZSS > Ridley > Samus

Can't be helped though. These things don't always work out in a way that makes sense. It's definitely not fair for Palutena to be far worse than Pit, nor is it fair for Diddy Kong to be better than DK.

However, there are a few instances where it makes sense. Rosalina and Mewtwo are the best Mario and Pokemon characters respectively, and there's not many matchups with characters from their own series where they lose.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
It's definitely going to be a tough matchup. Not sure where Ridley would place on the tier list, but I think ZSS is still going to be pretty high up there. Sadly I could see it being...

ZSS > Ridley > Samus

Can't be helped though. These things don't always work out in a way that makes sense. It's definitely not fair for Palutena to be far worse than Pit, nor is it fair for Diddy Kong to be better than DK.

However, there are a few instances where it makes sense. Rosalina and Mewtwo are the best Mario and Pokemon characters respectively, and there's not many matchups with characters from their own series where they lose.
Yeah, very true.

I guess its just like how Ganondorf is one of the lowest on the tier list, despite being in the high range of powers, storied wise. Its just one of those things.

I agree with your matchup prediction. At a guess, I'd say ZSS will be a hassle for Ridley, as he'll be vulnerable to her ladder combos and setups. Where as I think Ridley's long reach, potentially potent advantage state and high damage will be a problem for Samus.

But I'm pretty sure Ridley won't be low tier. Not sure if he'll be above mid, but I think high is actually possible, depending on how things shake out. He has some good advantages that I reckon will keep him from being terrible. Namely: long range, high damage, decent speed, strong edge guarding (which might be much more important in this game) and a command grab to keep people honest even as just a threat.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gameplay & story logic don't mix unless you don't care about balance. I'll take fun, diverse playstyles over making
everyone variations of a proven top tier for the sake of viability any day.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I agree. In my case my Ridley wouldn't remember anything regarding his origin before becoming a pirate, nor he cares. He's just glad he's the ONLY one (xP That is why I have put him making fun of "Greed" or even fighting him. He looks like a combination between Ridley and Kraid like, what the heck?).
Greed for Ridley echo fighter! ... Or if one still goes by the notion that Greed is green due to some traits of Kraid (forgot what they were though honestly), then Ridley's green palette alt is Greed in disguise.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Gameplay & story logic don't mix unless you don't care about balance. I'll take fun, diverse playstyles over making
everyone variations of a proven top tier for the sake of viability any day.
Although that does sound like an interesting Smash mod: Smash Bros. but everyone is balanced based on the closest estimation of their canon true potential.

Honestly, it's a question I wonder about: Who is the strongest character in Smash? Can that even be quantified? Does each game from each respective series give us enough data to determine whether, say, Ridley could tear Ganondorf apart, or vice versa? The one that always stumps me is Mewtwo. Mewtwo is one of the strongest Pokémon to exist, even today, and was created to be the strongest Pokémon. That said, what is the average max power of the average Pokémon? Most Pokémon seem weaker than the average person imo, at least until they evolve. Seems like the average guy could beat up a Charmander far easier than they could a Charizard. So, how does Mewtwo rank up objectively, as opposed to the base stats given to us from the Pokémon games? Does Mewtwo's diverse moveset of buffing and status moves give him an upper hand where his pure strength and power might fail? Does that assume every smash character would be affected by moves like taunt or Disable? Might Ganondorf destroy Mewtwo, unless his magic were disabled, giving Mewtwo an upper hand? Does each of Ganondorf's magical abilities act like an individual Pokémon move? And that's not even bringing up Mewtwo's mega forms, which I totally forot about until just now.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not like other fighting games accurately reflect a character's power scaling with their gameplay/viability. It's just one of those things, which unfortunately happens to result in ZSS being > Samus in the case of Smash, Mewtwo starting on the lowest end of the totem pole, etc.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Greed for Ridley echo fighter! ... Or if one still goes by the notion that Greed is green due to some traits of Kraid (forgot what they were though honestly), then Ridley's green palette alt is Greed in disguise.
XD It was because of the things on the side of his head plus the spikes as well. I went with green also because the color of greed is the one of money...so yeah. I need to actually draw both fighting, I forgot where I left my old sketch of that.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
If that's true about Ridley's boxing ring title, that is incredible!

As for who the strongest character in Smash is, in relation to their source material: I'd have to say it's a toss-up between Pit, Bayonetta, and Shulk. All because of one shared trait between them. They've all killed gods.
In Kid Icarus Uprising, Pit killed Thanatos (god of Death), defeated Palutena (goddess of light), defeated Pyron the sun god, killed Medusa TWICE, and aboslutely obliterated Hades (lord of the Underworld, basically Satan himself!)

Meanwhile, Bayonetta destroyed Jubileus the Creator by punching its soul into the sun and then destroying its petrified body on the back to Earth. She also utterly decimated Omne and defeated Rodin twice after an intense battle each time.

As for Shulk, with his True Monado, he was able to slay Zanza, the god who created the entire universe they lived in after a climactic battle.

So yeah, whichever one is more efficient at god-slaying is probably the most powerful character in the entire Smash Bros roster.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
If that's true about Ridley's boxing ring title, that is incredible!

As for who the strongest character in Smash is, in relation to their source material: I'd have to say it's a toss-up between Pit, Bayonetta, and Shulk. All because of one shared trait between them. They've all killed gods.
In Kid Icarus Uprising, Pit killed Thanatos (god of Death), defeated Palutena (goddess of light), defeated Pyron the sun god, killed Medusa TWICE, and aboslutely obliterated Hades (lord of the Underworld, basically Satan himself!)

Meanwhile, Bayonetta destroyed Jubileus the Creator by punching its soul into the sun and then destroying its petrified body on the back to Earth. She also utterly decimated Omne and defeated Rodin twice after an intense battle each time.

As for Shulk, with his True Monado, he was able to slay Zanza, the god who created the entire universe they lived in after a climactic battle.

So yeah, whichever one is more efficient at god-slaying is probably the most powerful character in the entire Smash Bros roster.
That sounds like a pretty fair assessment. Though if I really wanted to be that guy, I could argue that different historical cultures (and by extension, video game worlds), have different interpretations of the impact, power, and abilities of God or Gods, but pretty much all interpretations of Gods make them out to be the strongest deities in existence while still being mortal (the mortal part particularly and especially in video games.), so as I said, the assessment more or less holds up imo. God slayers have at least proven a monumentous proof of concept of their true power over all of the non God slayers. Maybe other characters on the Smash roster could kill Gods, but if they've yet to do it canonically, we won't know if they even remotely contest Pit, Bayo, or Shulk in terms of strength.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Samus is actually stupid strong. Based on Prime's scan data (that was not retconned in the Trilogy version), Samus would have to be able to lift 85-90 tons to just stand on Tallon IV (the planets in Metroid are insanely dense, so add that to the list of "that isn't possible in real life"). Some websites that debate these sorts of things straight up ignored this lol.

Another one of her freezing weapons is apparently near sub-zero. And it's one of her worst ice weapons! There's a lot more than this, too.

But yeah, once you get to god-tier levels of power comparisons become rather moot.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Shulk doesn't use the Monado III that has god-slaying powers, and Pit's god-slaying feats required tools crafted by another
god implied to be stronger than all others, Dyntos (or Palutena if it's her bow). So that just leaves Bayonetta, who also uses tools
crafted by a supernatural being (Rodin), though her summoning powers are all her own.

But all of this is kind of moot when you remember all fighters in Smash are just figures brought to life, and thus are as strong
as Master Hand permits. And the only thing shown to be stronger than him is Tabuu, who effortlessly defeated Demon King Ganondorf
in their clash, as well absolutely everyone else. But even he was not omnipotent, and got blindsided by faster-than-the-speed-of-sound
Sonic.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Shulk doesn't use the Monado III that has god-slaying powers, and Pit's god-slaying feats required tools crafted by another
god implied to be stronger than all others, Dyntos (or Palutena if it's her bow). So that just leaves Bayonetta, who also uses tools
crafted by a supernatural being (Rodin), though her summoning powers are all her own.

But all of this is kind of moot when you remember all fighters in Smash are just figures brought to life, and thus are as strong
as Master Hand permits. And the only thing shown to be stronger than him is Tabuu, who effortlessly defeated Demon King Ganondorf
in their clash, as well absolutely everyone else. But even he was not omnipotent, and got blindsided by faster-than-the-speed-of-sound
Sonic.
True, but I think I, and the others who have chimed in here, aren't strictly talking the canon of Smash exclusively. I made the remark of imagining a a Smash mod where the characters of Smash were balanced according to their true power, and thus asked the question, assuming each character in Smash had their full arsenal of weapons, skills, and abilities, who would be the strongest Smash character? Even though there's probably no good way to get a definitive answer, it is fun to think about.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
oh the Ridley thread its been years since the last time i visted it and it brings back alot of great memories i remember when the thread had 1500+ pages and i am happy that you all Ridley fans get what you wanted its like the end of an era

now i am waiting for Ridley to help Geno getting into smash after all of these years
both Ridley and Geno fanbase helped each other to achieve something
both had large support and it goes back maybe even before brawl
both had alot of flash animation and drawing towards the support of their inclusion in smash
both had ended up in Smash crusade
both had ended up in Smash legacy xp and tons of mods even MUGEN
both had ended up in Smash 4 in some way and got a skin mod as well
both supports got recognized by Sakurai and heared our voices
it has been a great run!
so tell me Ridley fans after you all got what you wanted after waiting all of these years what is the next thing to do?

Last edited:
Top Bottom