• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
I haven't posted in years. I remember being disappointed when it was said that Ridley was too big. Then I felt pretty burned when Project M was more or less thrown under the bus, and it turned me off of any Smash 4 hype.

But this... Ridley's in it, and if the game is decent... That'd be pretty nice. I'll play Smash again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait, what do you mean this is real? I thought I hallucinated this whole thing yesterday. What do you mean Ridley is actually in Smash? WHAT THE ****ING ****

Ok, ahem, I wanted to come here earlier but hype hangover alongside college prevented me from doing so.
I remember being here fpr the Smash 4 speculation, don't remember exactly when I joined the Ridley thread but what matters is that I was here for shadow discussions. Oh boy, those were some weird times, and at the end of the day, only disappointment came out of it. Don't feel like doing a retrospective of it, pretty sure ya'll have heard the story from other perspectives already, what is important is that I was a hard believer he was a fighter. We all know how that went

After Sakurai said he was too big himself and I basically gave up on anorexic Barney. Then, Smash Switch was announced and I just felt like "don't set yourself up for disappointment again guys", wasn't too much on actual speculation with nothing to go off from but I thought it was pointless to get invested after my purple space dino had been denied twice, the rumors helped me consider the possibility but it was a 5% chance to me.

I'm so happy to be wrong, though I do feel it was a bit anticlimatic for me, not complaining though lol. Our favorite serial murderer is finally here and he looks amazing.
And I'm really glad they didn't size him down, that would be against his character after all! Thankfully, Sakurai saw my suggestion from 4 years ago
Screenshot_20180327-214951~2.png

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I think I just figured out why I love this design of Ridley, and how it accomplished what the Other M design was trying to do; It's the most skeletonlike of his designs, with the teeth at the edges of his beak plus the sharp cheeks and sunken eyes resembling a skull, and the bladed tail resembling a scythe. Ridley literally is The Cunning God of Death.

AndreaAC AndreaAC , I have a dumb request; Draw the new Ridley in a Grim Reaper cloak.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think it’s pretty obvious Meta just isn’t ready to be played. If they had more Echoes to show off they would have, not just “accidentally” showing them and including them in their base character’s profile.

I would really enjoy some name swaps though. Actually calling Ridley “Meta Ridley” when you play as that Alt would be nice, little difference as there is.
Just posting this here :

PLEASE tell me he has a unique theme! The Item Acquired theme doesn’t fit him at all! Also love the Bryan from Tekken style win where he’s implied to be beating down/tearing apart who he won against.

Phazon ID

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if his Neutral (B) is charge cancelable like samus charge shot and DK's punch? Or is it just a flamethrower like bowsers? When charged?

Phazon ID

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if his Neutral (B) is chargeable to save later? Or you can only charge and use on the spot like greninjas water shuruiken?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Does anyone know if his Neutral (B) is charge cancelable like samus charge shot and DK's punch? Or is it just a flamethrower like bowsers? When charged?
Does anyone know if his Neutral (B) is chargeable to save later? Or you can only charge and use on the spot like greninjas water shuruiken?
I think you can only do it on the spot, what with the mouth weakpoint thing. I might be wrong.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ridley
Redley
Verdedly
Bracydios-ly
Old-ly
Darker Ridley?
Magently
and...
G O L D L E Y

....but where is Meta?
More than 8 skins for some characters I guess.
..hopefully we get omega too!
Assuming Meta isn't in the game yet. There's a lot of things that are clearly beta, and they may have just been comfortable with it enough to show it in the trailer but not for full gameplay.

Phazon ID

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if enters free fall when using side (B) "floor drag" in the air?or can he jump afterwards. .really hope it doesnt put him in free fall.....

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So theoretically, could a Meta Ridley support thread be created if not this era of speculation but the next? There's an argument that could be made that he is a different enough character from Ridley because he has extra weapons built into his body.

I mean I'm not going to do it, I'm happy enough with Ridley as is, but I'm not going to say no if Ridley gets a cyborg clone.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
So theoretically, could a Meta Ridley support thread be created if not this era of speculation but the next? There's an argument that could be made that he is a different enough character from Ridley because he has extra weapons built into his body.

I mean I'm not going to do it, I'm happy enough with Ridley as is, but I'm not going to say no if Ridley gets a cyborg clone.
Not worth it in my opinion: Why do that when you could advocate for playable metroids, another giant reptile villain, or dark samus instead?
If you were theoretically desperate you could, but canonically meta ridley and ridley are the same character so I don't know if it would count.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
It would be crazy if I saw it...I mean, Ridley is Ridley, no matter the form (Roidley is another case, but still, *Silver's voice* IT'S NO USE!), 17 years is a long time, I would like to have calm days from this point forward, of course, until the "Competitive" discussion and "Ridley is cheap" stuff begins.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Hello there, hum, first off, I am very sorry for doing this a day and a half late, but I think you guys will understand that the last 2 days has been the most overwhelming EVER because it was hard to catch up with eveyrhting considering I work full time. No joke, yesterday, it took me until 1am to catch up!

But anyway, some people from this thread might remember my VERY old posts in the ridley support thread from ssb4 time. I know one person with the name connorEatsPants which I can't find his nick on sb that really seemed to love an essay I made back in the day which explained that there was still chances after the black shadow was shown. btw, I kinda regret posting this :( I realised today that I wasn't necessarly thinking straight because I read it today and I feel dumb :(

The point I am trying to make is I used to be SUPER active in ssb4 time, yes, even the times when the thread had to be locked and such so I'm aware it went through a lot. I wanted him mainly because I think he would have been cool in ssb.

And the confirmation today didn't disappoint, it's as badass looking as I expected and the render is SOOOOO detailled love it, he seems to be a nice character. He DID turned out big though, but not TOO big :)

Anyway I jsut want to say congrats guys. I didn't posted since for the simple reaosn that Sakurai said it would be too difficult TWICE in a span of 6 years, I know he can change his mind, but this was one instance where it seemed VERY unlikely he would and yet he freaking did. In fact to tell the truth, I was so convinced it was not happening that EVEN WHEN I SAW THE VERY OBVIOUS TAIL, I was telling myself "nah, they are tricking us, it's not happening", I had to see him and the tag to be very sure it's actually happenign and be forced to accept it.

Those of you that stayed after, fdirst off, your dedication is really good, I wouldn't have gone this far so pat yourself on the back :)

For those curious, yes I actually still wantred him, it's just I never bring it up because I thoguht it was never happening. So I may defintely not egt my most wanted (because.....soemthing very complciated to explain about my msot wanted's series being "killed"), but I at leats got my third. My second was disconfirmed and it was basically a pokemon trianer, but without the pokemon charatcers interface, think about it....now you wanted it :)

So yeah, congrats, I hope it feels good and different to actually be in a character thread and NOT a support thread :)

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'm very glad Ridley has joined the party. He's fast, has some nice range, and can do at least decently in the air. I highly doubt he'll have combos like most of the cast because of his insanely powerful moves at such speeds, so he'll be a nice change of pace from my normal characters. He may become my main, which I doubt because I love Meta Knight too much. Though I definitely see Ridley easily being a solid secondary. Especially if we get a mode that swaps out characters for each stock. Ridley just has to compete with the following to be a solid secondary for me: Wolf, the 3 Links, Samus, Lucario, Sheik, Cloud, Marth, and Mii Fighters. I'd say his chances are pretty good right now, especially considering how much different he is compared to anything else I've played. I'll just have to play them all to know for sure.

I'd love to watch someone play decently with Ridley. I see a lot of people spamming side b and using his fireballs right now. I don't expect amazing gameplay, but some people look like they've only played smash casually.

Want to know what's going to be weird? We probably wont have any reason to fight for Ridley anymore.

Usually characters arent really proven for a while. . .but Ridley is such an important character, i cant see him getting cut unless the roster is completely gutted. And it isnt like we would ever have to worry about him being "too big" because that obviously cant be true.

Wild
:061:

Phazon ID

Smash Rookie
I'm very glad Ridley has joined the party. He's fast, has some nice range, and can do at least decently in the air. I highly doubt he'll have combos like most of the cast because of his insanely powerful moves at such speeds, so he'll be a nice change of pace from my normal characters. He may become my main, which I doubt because I love Meta Knight too much. Though I definitely see Ridley easily being a solid secondary. Especially if we get a mode that swaps out characters for each stock. Ridley just has to compete with the following to be a solid secondary for me: Wolf, the 3 Links, Samus, Lucario, Sheik, Cloud, Marth, and Mii Fighters. I'd say his chances are pretty good right now, especially considering how much different he is compared to anything else I've played. I'll just have to play them all to know for sure.

I'd love to watch someone play decently with Ridley. I see a lot of people spamming side b and using his fireballs right now. I don't expect amazing gameplay, but some people look like they've only played smash casually.
I would have actually preferd a more aerial combo ridley than a powerhouse one.
Also i cant believe his down air is not a doen tail spike... its just a glorified bowser bomb..... only regret...

IronTed

Smash Ace
Want to know what's going to be weird? We probably wont have any reason to fight for Ridley anymore.

Usually characters arent really proven for a while. . .but Ridley is such an important character, i cant see him getting cut unless the roster is completely gutted. And it isnt like we would ever have to worry about him being "too big" because that obviously cant be true.

Wild
It's bittersweet. After getting beaten down twice before, victory is such a foreign taste. Having achieved our goal, what is left? Yeah, everyone who's a part of this thread will still be on this site, but this community will probably splinter off. At the least, it will never be the same. It's the end of an era.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not worth it in my opinion: Why do that when you could advocate for playable metroids, another giant reptile villain, or dark samus instead?
If you were theoretically desperate you could, but canonically meta ridley and ridley are the same character so I don't know if it would count.
Starting the Omega Metroid support thread

It's bittersweet. After getting beaten down twice before, victory is such a foreign taste. Having achieved our goal, what is left? Yeah, everyone who's a part of this thread will still be on this site, but this community will probably splinter off. At the least, it will never be the same. It's the end of an era.
You could always join the Geno support thread. We've been fighting since Brawl. Rivals of Ridley during that era

Last edited:
Nah. Ther is stil more to do.

Now we practice Ridley until our thumbs bleed to make him the best smash character ever
:062:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Wonder what the Japanese fan reaction to Ridley was.
Probably minor confusion/anger that Ridley took the slot of a more deserving newcomer, but I'm still curious.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I would have actually preferd a more aerial combo ridley than a powerhouse one.
Also i cant believe his down air is not a doen tail spike... its just a glorified bowser bomb..... only regret...
I think didn't use the pogo stick tail attack because they wanted to go with maximum intimidation with Ridley........ Minus his silly wiggly woogly fireballs that is. With that said, while the Pogo stick tail is unique, he still does like to slam down a landing from time to time quite often in his appearances. It's very intimidating so I think it's fine. However I think the down B should have turned into the pogo stick attack while airborn, and on the ground it does what it does now so you don't have to lose anything. I just have one question about the down air.... Can it spike? I'm wondering if we can spike people like Toon Link does, that seems fun.

As for aerial combo Ridley, I'm fine with him being a strong hitter. Does he ever do multi-hit attacks in the games? because I can't remember any (minus projectiles that is). I'm just glad he's fast (even on both air and ground it seems) and is intimidating. Those were the 2 things I remember him for and he's in the game like that. I'm sure he'll still have some aerial combos, just don't expect him to be comboing people like Sheik does.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
It seems to me that Ridley's design is still based off the Other M model, but it's actually done well. I point to the Spikes in Ridley's head and the patterning on Ridley's wings.

Welp. Looks like they're adding images to every character forum now. Probably not long until Ridley gets his, but they're going in alphabetical order I bet.

Looks like they're using the renders instead of the super cool new icons. Shame, but oh well.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
Welp. Looks like they're adding images to every character forum now. Probably not long until Ridley gets his, but they're going in alphabetical order I bet.

Looks like they're using the renders instead of the super cool new icons. Shame, but oh well.
Yeah, though the renders look amazing. However, I'm not sure I do it's like this for everyone but all I saw were Little Macs everywhere... and one Bayonetta.

Top Bottom