• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Morbi

Scavenger
He may have a high learning curve or be difficult to get used to. I like that. Means online won’t be crowded with him so I can be special.
I am honestly not understanding why, just from what I have seen, on paper, he seems really strong. Especially the sweet spot Alien impale and those ridiculous fireballs. But, like, whatever, I too enjoy feeling special.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
My thought is that people aren't getting many Ridley wins just because he's new. Anybody raring to win a game who picks up a pre-existing character will probably fair better than someone playing Inklings or Ridley, given that few people know how they work or what they can really do yet. Anybody picking up a previously existing character, even if they feel different this time around, will still basically know their kit and what they can do.

Rizen

Smash Legend
But wait- Ridley can't be in SSB: he's too big :rolleyes:

IDK how to feel about him as a fighter. He looks like he'll get zoned really hard in singles but might have a place in doubles gimmick teams.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

IDK how to feel about him as a fighter. He looks like he'll get zoned really hard in singles but might have a place in doubles gimmick teams.
I think he'll have his place with his side B and down B.
Down B in particular looks extremely low-medium risk, extremely high reward: 60% and a stun if you land it, with a free smash attack follow up. It's essentially a free stock if you land it.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

Well, even us rooting for him knew he would be a big character, jokes aside. Yeah, hopefully he'll be competitively viable, or even just mid tier for those who care about such things (and I kind of do), but even if he ended up being the worst character, a lot of us here are just happy he's in the game at all (Though things like his design and accurate moveset help as well.).

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh believe me, I realized that the moment I posted it. This ain't my first rodeo with this website. *points at his join date, and then beyond.*

Anyways, duly noted all the same.

Smooth Criminal

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Anyone see any of his alternate colors in the E3 footage?

I'm guessing he's got a bright red palette swap to represent his Super Metroid appearance...

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice

I'm guessing he's got a bright red palette swap to represent his Super Metroid appearance...
Actually yeah, there's footage of it. I saw that GameXplain got footage of everyone's color swaps.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
1528922692690.png

*Record needle scratch*

Yep. That's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this sticky situation. Well it all started when this lady invited me to go hunting...

StormC

Smash Hero

It was posted earlier in this thread. He does indeed have Redley and as seen in the trailer, Zero Mission colors.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
It was posted earlier in this thread. He does indeed have Redley and as seen in the trailer, Zero Mission colors.

So it is by order: Default, SM Concept Art, Zero Mission, Metroid 1 Rids, and the one that comes afterwards...is similar to the previous one but more gray-ish or I'm mistaking? Then Classic/Brawl Ridley (I can see his orangey wings I think), Roidley and the Gold statue?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So it is by order: Default, SM Concept Art, Zero Mission, Metroid 1 Rids, and the one that comes afterwards...is similar to the previous one but more gray-ish or I'm mistaking? Then Classic/Brawl Ridley (I can see his orangey wings I think), Roidley and the Gold statue?
It's a bit unclear from that image, but from various videos I've seen I feel like it's supposed to be:

Default, SM concept art, ZM concept art, NES, Mecha Ridley, ???, Fusion, Charizard.

Not sure about the gray-ish one with orange wings, feel like we need clearer pictures to determine whether it's Brawl Ridley or something else, might just be an original recolor.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I been supporting ridley for very long but he never got, this year I decided to support him more seriously by playing metroid games for the first time and beating them, I beat 4 of them, and this was the year ridley finally got his way to smash.
coincidence? or I have the magic power of making characters be in smash with just playing games where that character appears?
Who knows, who knows...
Quick! Start playing custom robo!

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
If Ridley gets an alt based off of metroid prime I think Samus should too. I love having alt costumes instead of just alt colors. I'm totally hyped to play as Meta Ridley on Frigate Orpheon

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Oh my God, really? xD I feel like doing a drawing regarding this if it is indeed a Charizard alt...
Andrea! Haven't been back here for awhile. You still making awesome Ridley art?

UserKev

Smash Champion
No Blackley?!

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
What a glorious age to be a member of team Ridley. When I first heard about SSBU for the switch I most certainly thought nothing of it. Never have I been proven wrong in such a right way. The age old dream of the space pirates, our dream, has finally come to fruition and it is best surprise I've ever witnessed.
I'll admit after the WiiU game I became bitter over the last Ridley exclusion and with dwindling hope focused almost solely on modding brawl. After all these years I have finally forgiven Sakurai and gratefully thank him for this. The new game certainly looks fun and I hope the pyrosphere makes a return, but make no mistake Ridley is the main focus of my excitement. After over a decade of no new Metroid representation we finally have Ridley.
I really loved his reveal trailer. Killing two major characters and taunting Samus while smirking and twirling Mario's hat was awesome and such a accurate portrayal of Ridley's character.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I get most of the people this statement is addressed to will not read this, but I wanted to comment on something. Once Ridley was confirmed, there was this influx of non-Ridley forummers who came to congratulate and celebrate with everyone. That's such a nice thing to do, especially for such a weary fanbase. Such unity and camaraderie are really beautiful things to see.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I get most of the people this statement is addressed to will not read this, but I wanted to comment on something. Once Ridley was confirmed, there was this influx of non-Ridley forummers who came to congratulate and celebrate with everyone. That's such a nice thing to do, especially for such a weary fanbase. Such unity and camaraderie are really beautiful things to see.
Yeah, its nice that there are still some kind people on the internet these days.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Seeing Ridley, some giant space dragon thing, swing Mario's hat around on his finger while staring at you or go from hunched to standing up straight is like seeing a deer in the woods notice you and do this.

God damn terrifying. The shift from "it's a dumb monster" to "oh **** it was smarter than me all along".
Just out of curiosity, do you know where that GIF/clip is from?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Andrea! Haven't been back here for awhile. You still making awesome Ridley art?
xD HEY! How have you been doing? Glad to see you around again! :> And of course, xD I have it kind of scathered all over the place, I showed just a few with Ridley's new design some pages back in this thread.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Dude, can I like, hug you or something?
Hey Prime!
Did you see that Sukapon is in the game? As an AT but that's more than I expected
I DID! I didn't get to see the reveal until later, and I had already been told Ridley was confirmed, but seeing Sukapon was a great surprise. I jumped up in excitement it was wonderful. I really got all I wanted.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I think that one of the two costumes on the bottom left is a placeholder for the Meta Ridley alt that we saw in the trailer, since I noticed that Meta Ridley was missing from this image. Unless this game bumps up the number of costumes from 8 to 9 or 10 (or more) and they just didn't think to go further than that when scrolling through the costumes.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I was initially worried about Ridley being low tier, but after seeing how he's not the slow tank I imagined him to be, I think there's a decent chance he'll be used often competitively. All in all, he looks like he's a deadly character who can easily make a comeback after the smallest mistake.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think that one of the two costumes on the bottom left is a placeholder for the Meta Ridley alt that we saw in the trailer, since I noticed that Meta Ridley was missing from this image. Unless this game bumps up the number of costumes from 8 to 9 or 10 (or more) and they just didn't think to go further than that when scrolling through the costumes.
It’s probably more like Ike’s costume, a whole new set. Also Little Mac.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Oi. One Dragon Ball joke at a time.
On a side note, someone at GameXplain captured this...
View attachment 148069

This one replaces her Dark Samus alt.
This can mean only one thing...
Wasn't Dark Samus already an assist trophy in Smash 4? If anything it just confirms they'll be back as an assist, but if Dark Samus is an Echo fighter you won't hear any complains from me, we have Ridley now, any extra characters added I like is a bonus.

I don't like the idea of choosing a main before the game's out and ive had a chance to play all the characters but the more I look at ridley the more I want to play him, he looks so much fun to play
I knew I wanted to main Bowser Jr or Palutena was soon as I saw them, Bowser Jr is now my current main, just wish Smash 4 Palutena had a better default move set. Not sure if I will main Ridley over Bowser Jr, but if I don't he's certainly going to be one of my go to characters, think I'm a able to get a good grasp of characters from watching them being played, but need to get hands on with Ridley to see how much impact his attacks have first.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think it’s pretty obvious Meta just isn’t ready to be played. If they had more Echoes to show off they would have, not just “accidentally” showing them and including them in their base character’s profile.

I would really enjoy some name swaps though. Actually calling Ridley “Meta Ridley” when you play as that Alt would be nice, little difference as there is.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
xD HEY! How have you been doing? Glad to see you around again! :> And of course, xD I have it kind of scathered all over the place, I showed just a few with Ridley's new design some pages back in this thread.
I've been well for the most part, a few downs here and there but as soon as I heard Ridley was in I was happy. How about yourself? I'll start looking through for you art then!

Top Bottom