• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

From The Thread (Featruing The Second post™), to an All-Star Alliance, to a private PM, to quarantine in the mansion, to a Group, then a return to threads.

That has been my history with the smash fanbase, and Ridley. I started as a lurker, became Oni333 with a waluigi/ridley avi. Moved on to become a viridi freak, as the thread made me learn more and more about Nintendo. As time went on I broke ties with some and formed larger bonds with others. I became Zebei, and now live on as Zeb. I've gone through "ridley is a guarantee" thanks to shadow theories, and the age of Ridley being THE smash fanbase punching bag.

I haven't been on the internet for a relatively long time, but I did start with the RIdley thread, so the whole damn fanbase and the character have special places in my heart. Hell i've been the OP for 3 different Ridey threads at this point so i would hope I still have a sliver of notoriety. This could very well be the LAST day of this **** and we'll be able to move onto a smash with a playable Ridley. It would be awesome and we could very well be on the precipice! If tha does happen, it's been an honor and i can guarantee i'll be screaming from a private Discord channel and losing my mind.

Or maybe we're just going to go back to being punching bags and a few bandwagoners will flip on us just like they did last time! Who knows! That only makes it more exciting. If e suceed, congrats everyone, it' over. If we don't, better luck next mission. Either way, things are about to get CRAZY so be prepared space pirates.

Never Falter.
:061:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
If Ridley was revealed at Nintendo's E3 event there's still plenty to talk about.

Would he be legal (competitively)?
What moves he could have, if not all are shown?
What alt skin could he have?
Who would he be a could counter against?
What would be a good counter against him?

To name a few, just go into the direct hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario

From The Thread (Featruing The Second post™), to an All-Star Alliance, to a private PM, to quarantine in the mansion, to a Group, then a return to threads.

That has been my history with the smash fanbase, and Ridley. I started as a lurker, became Oni333 with a waluigi/ridley avi. Moved on to become a viridi freak, as the thread made me learn more and more about Nintendo. As time went on I broke ties with some and formed larger bonds with others. I became Zebei, and now live on as Zeb. I've gone through "ridley is a guarantee" thanks to shadow theories, and the age of Ridley being THE smash fanbase punching bag.

I haven't been on the internet for a relatively long time, but I did start with the RIdley thread, so the whole damn fanbase and the character have special places in my heart. Hell i've been the OP for 3 different Ridey threads at this point so i would hope I still have a sliver of notoriety. This could very well be the LAST day of this **** and we'll be able to move onto a smash with a playable Ridley. It would be awesome and we could very well be on the precipice! If tha does happen, it's been an honor and i can guarantee i'll be screaming from a private Discord channel and losing my mind.

Or maybe we're just going to go back to being punching bags and a few bandwagoners will flip on us just like they did last time! Who knows! That only makes it more exciting. If e suceed, congrats everyone, it' over. If we don't, better luck next mission. Either way, things are about to get CRAZY so be prepared space pirates.

Never Falter.
Man, I didn't even realize you were Oni333. I was actually thinking about where you went earlier when trying to remember everyone from the old thread and groups. I'm glad you're still around though. We'll finally get ours tomorrow.

Chrollo.

fka president wario

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
All this time I've been thinking of what it would be like to play as Ridley, but now I've started wondering...

What would it be like to play AGAINST Ridley?
I mean, imagine playing an online match as someone like Kirby or Olimar and your opponent enters with Ridley. I'd be a bit intimidated right off the bat.

Man, I didn't even realize you were Oni333. I was actually thinking about where you went earlier when trying to remember everyone from the old thread and groups. I'm glad you're still around though. We'll finally get ours tomorrow.
I've always wondered how many people have forgotten the old me/don't even know we're the same eprson but oh well.

been a while since I used these avis huh. . .

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Not sure what to expect tomorrow but here's hoping for that Purple Space Dragon, regardless it will be nice to see the new (or updated) Smash.

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Tomorrow will be the dawn of a new era for Smash, and hopefully with it we will have a few new characters previously said to be impossible.

Looking forward to the event.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The konami compilation game is still not revealed

It's looking very very good on it being a castlevania collection
Here's hoping. An actual Castlevania collection (rumored to have ****ing SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT) on Switch would be an absolute day 1 purchase for me.

I would legitimately find it more interesting than almost everything the other companies have shown. (Besides like, KH3 and Spiderman)

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well guys, I don’t know what else to say now at this point except hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Like I said before, remember that Space Pirates don’t falter.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well, with Sony's presentation out of the way, there's nothing between us and the new Smash trailer except a few hours of sleep or work. Hopefully tomorrow will bring good fortunes to our favorite space dragon.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
well moment of truth is almost here

were the best place to watch

Last edited:

TrueBlueHero

Smash Rookie
Well, considering this may be the 11th hour for our boy Ridley, I thought I'd come out of lurking and throw my support for my always most wanted. I lurked the old topic back in the Smash 4 days, making only a post or two, so I don't expect anyone to actually remember me, but I've always been a huge, long time Ridley supporter since the very, VERY beginning. So when Switch Smash was announced, I put on the old Ridley cap, and started lurking and reading leak after leak I could. And well, this time, more then ever, feels like we may finally get our giant purple parent killer. Or maybe we'll have the biggest meltdown yet, who knows! Still, rather then sit on the outside, I wanted to join in, come hell or high water, and support our dragon vocally. Cheers everyone, hopefully we can party in less then 10 hours from now!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Telling people not to trust leaks and all of that is redundant at this point, so, how about a little question?
BOI2.png

What if Ridley is playable, but they get him wrong or try to give him some gimmick that really shouldn't be there? It's really hard to mess up with a character as simple as Ridley, but this IS Sakurai we're talking about. Y'know, the same guy who thought that Duckley is a faithful representation of the big guy and the same guy who didn't declone Ganondorf because it would alienate his playerbase and yet still managed to do that by making him almost immobile and pathetically slow starting with Brawl?
Maybe I'm just being a paranoid old fart, but the possibility of something like this happening is still very real.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Telling people not to trust leaks and all of that is redundant at this point, so, how about a little question:
What if Ridley is playable, but they get him wrong or try to give him some gimmick that really shouldn't be there? It's really hard to mess up with a character as simple as Ridley, but this IS Sakurai we're talking about. Y'know, the same guy who thought that Duckley is a faithful representation of the big guy and the same guy who didn't declone Ganondorf because it would alienate his playerbase and yet still managed to do that by making him almost immobile and pathetically slow starting with Brawl?
Maybe I'm just being a paranoid old fart, but the possibility of something like this happening is still very real.
This actually worries me too. There's a lot of characters in Smash that I really don't like how they turned out. I'll be happy if Rids is finally playable regardless, but it definitely won't be as sweet if they trash the design

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Telling people not to trust leaks and all of that is redundant at this point, so, how about a little question:
That is my big fear, even if he's revealed I won't be celebrating before I know how he functions. I generally think Sakurai does a great job with characters, but specifically in regards to Ridley I have my doubts as I've disagreed with his assessement of the character before. Any kind of size gimmick will be a huge putoff for me, not that he shouldn't be big, but if he's like a giant character then I'll be very very disappointed.

He should in essence be a fairly simple character, a flight or grab gimmick would also be okay, but nothing major or groundbreaking imo.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That is my big fear, even if he's revealed I won't be celebrating before I know how he functions. I generally think Sakurai does a great job with characters, but specifically in regards to Ridley I have my doubts as I've disagreed with his assessement of the character before. Any kind of size gimmick will be a huge putoff for me, not that he shouldn't be big, but if he's like a giant character then I'll write it off as a failure.

He should in essence be a fairly simple character, a flight or grab gimmick would also be okay, but nothing major or groundbreaking imo.
I'd hate for Ridley to turn out bad, but as long as he ends up being a playable character, I'd write it down as a huge success. Getting Sakurai to change his mind on Ridley is like accomplishing the impossible, and while gimmicks could make him less appealing, I'm sure tweaks can be made over time so Ridley is still viable.

Not sure if those tweaks would happen in this Smash or the next, but getting Ridley on the roster is the hard part. Once that's over, everything else is easy by comparison.

Zeox

Smash Champion
If Ridley ends up being in smash, people on the future will come here and see the last thread and last comments before Ridley confirmation.
So, try to sounds smart so the future people don't realize that we are all a bunch of idiots.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd hate for Ridley to turn out bad, but as long as he ends up being a playable character, I'd write it down as a huge success. Getting Sakurai to change his mind on Ridley is like accomplishing the impossible, and while gimmicks could make him less appealing, I'm sure tweaks can be made over time so Ridley is still viable.

Not sure if those tweaks would happen in this Smash or the next, but getting Ridley on the roster is the hard part. Once that's over, everything else is easy by comparison.
Yeah, it'd definitely still be a huge success, no doubt about it, I am obviously a huge fan of the character himself, and it's been a fantastic group effort spanning well over a decade, so of course it'd still be a huge achievement. (I edited the word 'failure' out of my previous post as it was easily misunderstood in this regard, I was only referring to moveset, not the movement to get him in.)

But I would still be gutted if I don't like playing as him, because the potential is there for my favorite Nintendo character to also be my favorite character in Smash. I'm not a fan of gimmick characters at all, but I am however a huge fan of characters with a strong airgame, so as long as they keep things simple there's no doubt I'll love playing as him. I don't even care if he's good or not, just fun.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Well come hell or high water, i'm going to be here till the end

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I've been elsewhere for a few weeks, but I felt it was quite necessary to jump back on this board one last time before the Direct and say that whatever happens this has been a fantastic hype cycle with everyone so far!

Long live our Space Pirate Leader Ridley and may we see him in Smash tomorrow!

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Telling people not to trust leaks and all of that is redundant at this point, so, how about a little question?

a reveal like that might actually be enough to sour the whole game for me

i'd rather he just not be in at all, instead of some convoluted mockery of a character i've wanted to see for close to 10 years. pyrosphere was bad enough but at least i could ignore it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Unless it’s playable boss mode kind of junk, I don’t see how Ridley would be ruined for me in the event he’s playable. It all comes down to preference as to what kind of gimmicks he should have or not, or any at all, but I’ve adapted to characters with gimmicks before and I can do it again if it’s a character I like enough.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Yo, let's hope for Riddles later. I was active during 4's buildup, namely the whole shadow thing. I'm still supporting Ridley, though I'll be forced to miss the direct due to work. The thought of Ridley and Simon is so exciting tho, my best case scenario. Good luck guys, let's hope for the best in four hours time!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok, I think I’m ready to go offline. I’d rather wait out the hype and check it a few hours later. I don’t want to hype myself up and get disappointed, so I’ll let it cool down and get the highlights later.

I’m hoping that when I get back online, I have a playable Ridley to look forward to.

Never falter

Top Bottom