• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Especially since every picture has some rogging glitch and his jaws are flapping all over the place.
You're thinking of Sm4sh Ridley, not Other M Ridley. Other M Ridley never had his upper jaw move and his model was much better in terms of rigging and textures. Project M actually knew what they were doing with him, unlike whatever idiot(s) was responsible for that mess on Pyrosphere.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, we're getting close to 24 hours until Nintendo's E3 conference. At this point, I really hope nothing gets leaked. I'm more than willing to wait a mere day just so I can experience character reveals the proper way.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
There is a good reason for that. A bipedal Ridley is much easier to work with as he's much more compact thanks to his hunched over posture and most of Smash's cast is bipedal. A quadrupedal Ridley would have to hold items in his mouth or with his tail, but both of these would be used somehow in his attacks.
I mean, my design doesn't necessarily need to hold items in his mouth/tail, Donkey Kong is usually on all fours and holds items in his hands.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, we're getting close to 24 hours until Nintendo's E3 conference. At this point, I really hope nothing gets leaked. I'm more than willing to wait a mere day just so I can experience character reveals the proper way.
Agreed, I kinda like the situation we're in, if he's going to be revealed then the Vergeben leak has provided us with the perfect setup for it. If it hadn't been for the leak the Ridley fanbase would likely have been much more subdued and a lot of the old-timers wouldn't have checked back in on a regular basis, basically the buildup and "last stand gathering" wouldn't have been there, but at the same time it being proven right would still make everyone overjoyed as the leak still has a very real chance of being wrong, it is afterall just a text leak.

I'm both excited and nervous for tomorrow, but that's exactly the way I want it to be, regardless of the outcome. Any kind of highly reputable leak from here on out, whether confirmation or deconfirmation, would ruin the perfect setup that we've found ourselves with, and that would be a shame.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I mean, my design doesn't necessarily need to hold items in his mouth/tail, Donkey Kong is usually on all fours and holds items in his hands.
Knuckle-walking is not quite the same as normal quadrupedal movement. It lets DK hold items without any changes to walking and running animations. Having giant hands also helps.
Trust me, I've seen Ridley walk on all fours with an item held in one of his hands and it didn't look good. And that was with Other M Ridley, who is top-heavy and he has large hands too.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Knuckle-walking is not quite the same as normal quadrupedal movement. It lets DK hold items without any changes to walking and running animations. Having giant hands also helps.
Trust me, I've seen Ridley walk on all fours with an item held in one of his hands and it didn't look good. And that was with Other M Ridley, who is top-heavy and he has large hands too.
I'm not the mod maker, so I won't dispute that.
How does Smash handle characters grabbing items? Do they swap out the entire model with an item-holding one or just edit the hand to be permanently clenched?
Also tried editing my model with a clenched fist using some assets I made.
1528723633885.png

It's based off this bit where Ridley swipes, so there is at least some precedent for Ridley to stabilize himself using his knuckles rather than going full-paw.
1528723743016.png

EDIT: Also this shot
1528723888009.png

Last edited:

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Please, everyone just expect steenee and athelete as confirmed. Lower all of your expectations now. If it's true, we will have braced ourselves. If false then we will all be relieved.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Please, everyone just expect steenee and athelete as confirmed. Lower all of your expectations now. If it's true, we will have braced ourselves. If false then we will all be relieved.
I meeeeean, everyone here should be fine then, since Ridley was in that leak too. That's one's such a last minute fake though. Too much detail and too "detatched" for such a big deal.

Steenee would officially go down as the most random addition ever. Wii Fit was extremely lucrative and represents an important part of Nintendo's history by itself. Steenee is literally a random mid-stage Gen 7 Pokemon with no importance in either the games or the anime. Athlete could work, but it also doesn't feel like an E3 reveal. More like a WTF retro character.

Either way, it has Ridley so I don't really care if it's real or not. Just bad news for Kirby series or Decidueye fans.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm not the mod maker, so I won't dispute that.
How does Smash handle characters grabbing items? Do they swap out the entire model with an item-holding one or just edit the hand to be permanently clenched?
Also tried editing my model with a clenched fist using some assets I made.
View attachment 147636
It's based off this bit where Ridley swipes, so there is at least some precedent for Ridley to stabilize himself using his knuckles rather than going full-paw.
View attachment 147637
EDIT: Also this shot
View attachment 147638
Basically, there is a separate set of animations for different hand positions that are set to override all keyframes of certain bones on every other animations, starting with the bone set as the hand bone (i.e. everything past the wrist will be locked in a certain position regardless of what the original animation is).
Here is a little example:
ScreenCapture46.png

And now with item holding animation applied:
ScreenCapture47.png

Now it starts clipping through the floor even though it was just fine before.

Which game is this claw swipe from?

As for that shot, he doesn't actually move around like this often.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Agreed, I kinda like the situation we're in, if he's going to be revealed then the Vergeben leak has provided us with the perfect setup for it. If it hadn't been for the leak the Ridley fanbase would likely have been much more subdued and a lot of the old-timers wouldn't have checked back in on a regular basis, basically the buildup and "last stand gathering" wouldn't have been there, but at the same time it being proven right would still make everyone overjoyed as the leak still has a very real chance of being wrong, it is afterall just a text leak.

I'm both excited and nervous for tomorrow, but that's exactly the way I want it to be, regardless of the outcome. Any kind of highly reputable leak from here on out, whether confirmation or deconfirmation, would ruin the perfect setup that we've found ourselves with, and that would be a shame.
I'm personally here because I was here last time, and there's no way I would have missed it, the leaks and rumours had nothing to do with me coming or even staying here either, if anything I would personally delete every leak and rumour regarding Super Smash Bros. if i could. Because if it's true, well it was going to happen anyway we just found out a bit earlier, if it's false, then people who have built their hopes up just end up having them smashed. Then you have to take into account some people have multiple sources, so just because one leak/rumour is true doesn't mean they all are, and some of the so called predicted leaks are pretty safe. For example Just Cause 4, another game in the Jump series, if they provided Jump Force not just a game in the jump series I would have been more convinced. Only leaks I personally consider credible is the Fallout 76 one, that was detailed enough and pretty much got all the info right, without having to resort to being vague, like such and such series is getting a new game.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Basically, there is a separate set of animations for different hand positions that are set to override all keyframes of certain bones on every other animations, starting with the bone set as the hand bone (i.e. everything past the wrist will be locked in a certain position regardless of what the original animation is).
Here is a little example:
View attachment 147639
And now with item holding animation applied:
View attachment 147640
Now it starts clipping through the floor even though it was just fine before.

Which game is this claw swipe from?

As for that shot, he doesn't actually move around like this often.
TIL, thanks for the lesson.

Ridley in SR also tends to position his hands with his fingers bending backwards rather than having his palms flat on the floor, so maybe clipping issues by bending his fingers forward would be minimized?
1528725948154.png

The claw swipe is also from Samus Returns.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
TIL, thanks for the lesson.

Ridley in SR also tends to position his hands with his fingers bending backwards rather than having his palms flat on the floor, so maybe clipping issues by bending his fingers forward would be minimized?
View attachment 147642

The claw swipe is also from Samus Returns.
Like have him walk as if he's holding a hemisphere in each hand? That would work. But if you mean do it like on this screenshot, then that would make it worse.

Ah. Had to check because these two poses remind me of his Other M animations except his torso is much closer to the ground in SR. It's more like his Metroid Prime claw swipe except more dramatic.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
If Xenoverse 3 is confirmed today, then Vergeben’s leak gets even more points imo. A lot of people can say “Well, we knew Xenoverse 3 would eventually come” but Xenoverse 2 had just gotten DLC a few months ago. So it’d be way too unexpected for Xenoverse 3 to get announced so soon after DLC.

Also, the Fallout 76 leaker actually backed up this leak lol

https://s3.amazonaws.com/twin-galax...8/05/nintedo-rumor-list-of-games-for-e3-2.jpg

It doesn’t pertain to Ridley really, but the fact that it has F-Zero made by Platinum on it makes it interesting because Vergeben also said that he heard Platinum is working with Nintendo on a game he doesn’t know about. Again, it doesn’t pertain to Ridley’s chances at all, but it sure is interesting.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If Xenoverse 3 is confirmed today, then Vergeben’s leak gets even more points imo. A lot of people can say “Well, we knew Xenoverse 3 would eventually come” but Xenoverse 2 had just gotten DLC a few months ago. So it’d be way too unexpected for Xenoverse 3 to get announced so soon after DLC.

Also, the Fallout 76 leaker actually backed up this leak lol

https://s3.amazonaws.com/twin-galax...8/05/nintedo-rumor-list-of-games-for-e3-2.jpg

It doesn’t pertain to Ridley really, but the fact that it has F-Zero made by Platinum on it makes it interesting because Vergeben also said that he heard Platinum is working with Nintendo on a game he doesn’t know about. Again, it doesn’t pertain to Ridley’s chances at all, but it sure is interesting.
"Intelligent System"

I have many questions.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
"Intelligent System"

I have many questions.
Yeah I don’t think the sheet itself is an actual sheet by Nintendo as it looks unprofessional as **** but if its real it is possible that whoever made decided to put out a picture leak than a text leak because a picture leak like this would be believed more.

Either that or the dude who made it somehow accurately guessed all the games LOL

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Like have him walk as if he's holding a hemisphere in each hand? That would work. But if you mean do it like on this screenshot, then that would make it worse.

Ah. Had to check because these two poses remind me of his Other M animations except his torso is much closer to the ground in SR. It's more like his Metroid Prime claw swipe except more dramatic.
Something like this? His palm is vertical so potential clipping issues that might occur is his knuckles clip into the floor or his hand hovers slightly above the ground.
1528727792614.png

Tried editing it so his hand doesn't move from its original position but the fingers were changed.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh that sheet is all kinds of fake. Logically, if they’re trying to keep everything under wraps, why would they type up a list of what’s in the presentation? It’s not like they need a series of presenters to come on stage...

I’m just waiting to see what they throw us tomorrow. Things have never looked this good, but I’m not believing any of these leaks until they show Ridley off.

I want my Riddles amiibo

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh that sheet is all kinds of fake. Logically, if they’re trying to keep everything under wraps, why would they type up a list of what’s in the presentation? It’s not like they need a series of presenters to come on stage...

I’m just waiting to see what they throw us tomorrow. Things have never looked this good, but I’m not believing any of these leaks until they show Ridley off.

I want my Riddles amiibo
Guardian/Detective Pikachu sized please!

(I know it won't be. They aren't *that* up on the memes.)

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think the easiest way to deal with Ridley’s bulkiness is to use the Z-axis. If his wings and tail go out of the fighting plane, they’re pretty well irrelevant. I do like Ridley not too hunched over; then someone could walk right up in his face and grab him. Even if his wings are blocking them a bit, they’d be poking towards the screen so not important.

I also think people overstate how much of a problem we’d have with disproportionate Ridley. Obviously purple Dragonite is wrong, but if his body is a 1/6 scale and wings are 1/8, that may not look bad.

And since it’s a fact that comes up frequently: unpopular opinion - I don’t hate the Other M form. The muscles kinda look good to me. The face, on the other hand...that is not ok. Especially since every picture has some rogging glitch and his jaws are flapping all over the place.
Using the Z might not work if his wings are Prime or even Other M sized.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Vergieboi is going to have to delete his entire presence off the internet after everyone finds out he’s a troll and simply wanted to wipe his ass with our souls, and crush our hearts again.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Well, I mean, that's why I've been hovering these boards for the last week.

I want my Riddles amiibo
This. So much this.

Ready for this E3. No work, just a day off so I have time to either celebrate hardcore, or forget my disappointment.

I really don't know what I'm gonna do with myself if all this rumor stuff ends up being true. It might be too much for me.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
No hype. No hope. Those were the rules this time around. Don't hang your hopes up on leaks, trust nothing until somebody more official than HidingBehindAScreenname1493 says it.

Seems a lot of people have been breaking the rules. We're not going to see Ridley until the street date, anyway, so why get worked up now?

IronTed

Smash Ace
Can't believe tomorrow is the moment of truth. Seeing Ridley blow up again in places like ERA is amazing, I feared after 4 everyone would abandon the dream.

If Ridley is not showed at E3 in any way, it's safe to say most will lose hope. Credible rumoring is what really reignited the hype, and it can also easily extinguish it as well.

Also, if Ridley ends up not being playable, then expect the pitchforks to be out for Vergeben and Co.

Either way, I am very excited for tomorrow.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Vergieboi is going to have to delete his entire presence off the internet after everyone finds out he’s a troll and simply wanted to wipe his *** with our souls, and crush our hearts again.
Oh please. We're not children. This may be a point where someone has their expectations too high if a leak being wrong is going to hurt them *that* much, especially at this point.

If it's true, amazing, let's celebrate like we all always hoped to. If it's false, Verg's sources weren't being entirely truthful, and we should just accept it and move on as a community. Obviously. We've been through disappointment before. In Smash 4, it's fine because we got led on by hopes and dreams, but we'll be getting off easy if Ridley isn't shown at E3.

Seriously, we really shouldn't start a ****storm and try to trash Verg for this. He's already gotten plenty right to generate goodwill. If this turns out false, don't jump to conclusions people.

No hype. No hope. Those were the rules this time around. Don't hang your hopes up on leaks, trust nothing until somebody more official than HidingBehindAScreenname1493 says it.

Seems a lot of people have been breaking the rules. We're not going to see Ridley until the street date, anyway, so why get worked up now?
I don't see any rules. I've been at this game a *very* long time. If I want to hype about some last minute hope, I'm going to. This kind of thing feels like a big projection, I really dunno why you'd bring it in here to ruin the mood.

Again, if he doesn't show up, we should've already learned our lesson right? This wouldn't be a place of any hype at all without the leaks, and who wants that, really?

Last edited:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
I understand that there is a point to not hyping yourself up too much and getting majorly disappointed but....honestly, I find it more annoying when someone is just overly pessimistic and negative. Yeah, the Smash information that Vergeben got from the same source who told him of Jump Force could very well not pan out but...don't go overboard is all I'm trying to say to both sides of the coin, so to speak.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Vergieboi is going to have to delete his entire presence off the internet after everyone finds out he’s a troll and simply wanted to wipe his *** with our souls, and crush our hearts again.
Do you really have to be such a downer?

GreatRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neodragon22
3DS FC
3007-8564-4279
Eisendrachen Eisendrachen is right. Until there is a full confirmation from Nintendo themselves, keep all "leaks" as rumors and nothing more, even if they have a very high credibility. We need to be prepared in case the worst case scenario does happen. But let's be cautiously optimistic too.

Anyways We only have literally one day left before the direct and we'll learn out whenever or not our #1 leaker is right or was wrong. We've come a long ways and hopefully we'll either see a finish line or be swept back to square one (since I don't see Ridley being announced after E3). If Ridley is a fully playable character, we weep with joy, if he is a playable boss, well we'll weep with either sorrow or happiness that he is finally playable in some way, and if he isn't announced at all, prepare for a violent storm.

I wish us all the best of luck in 24 hours. Let's fight til the bitter end!

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
LastDay.jpg

24 hours boys & girls. And still no masive leak. Or a really credible leak at all. Impressive. Most impressive. (The one who gets the reference gets a virtual cookie).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Eisendrachen Eisendrachen is right. Until there is a full confirmation from Nintendo themselves, keep all "leaks" as rumors and nothing more, even if they have a very high credibility. We need to be prepared in case the worst case scenario does happen. But let's be cautiously optimistic too.

Anyways We only have literally one day left before the direct and we'll learn out whenever or not our #1 leaker is right or was wrong. We've come a long ways and hopefully we'll either see a finish line or be swept back to square one (since I don't see Ridley being announced after E3). If Ridley is a fully playable character, we weep with joy, if he is a playable boss, well we'll weep with either sorrow or happiness that he is finally playable in some way, and if he isn't announced at all, prepare for a violent storm.

I wish us all the best of luck in 24 hours. Let's fight til the bitter end!
But how many times does it need to be reiterated that we're all (mostly) adults and should be able to temper our own expectations? Now, I don't see *anyone* here saying that Vegeben's stuff or any other leak is 100% credible. Or that they 100% expect to see Riddles tomorrow. We've been burned many times, but having this last bit of hope has frankly been good for the community.

Everyone *should* already be prepared. That doesn't mean people need to come in here acting like holier-than-thou downers who know "for certain" that we won't see Ridley before street date or at all. That kind of thing is just unnecessary.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
The problem with trusting most rumours/leaks is there is literally no benefit, you're always going to have to consider if it's true or not, it's basically schrodinger's cat, until the rumours/leaks are officially confirmed, you don't know if it's true are not, and words are cheap. If a game like Viewtiful Joe 3, or another game got leaked as detailed as Fallout 76, I'd buy that, but some of these rumours/leaks are just way too vague and predictable, yes I know hindsight is 20/20, but like some of these games like I listed before (Just Cause/Jump), would only have any merit if the series had gone inactive like Viewtiful Joe, or they provided details on the game.

And just a side note, yes I want Ridley, I can't remember when exactly I was 100% certain, maybe sometime between Brawl and Smash 4, but I'm seeing history repeat itself with people treating rumours/leaks as basically gospel, if you want to believe them fine, but please stop treating it as fact in discussions.

Last edited:

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Want to be part of this potentially legendary thread if Ridley is announced tomorrow - my hype levels are off the charts and I truly believe Vergeben.

His new source correctly leaked Jump Force and the Castlevania titles if I'm not mistaken, and he's gotten other things right (though some wrong) in the past from other sources. His new source seems legitimate and I'm so excited if we finally get Ridley, the character I've wanted most since I saw him in the melee intro when I was younger. Nobody is more deserving of a roster spot, and no other character has a more passionate fanbase that's weathered dissapointment.

It's our time friends, the hype train is full throttle.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
This is the scary part, and my biggest worry. Let's really hope Ridley doesn't fall into the "some wrong" category tomorrow
He said the Ridley source is the same as the one that gave him the Jump Force/Castlevania information, and this source is one of many he has that also mentioned Ridley.

My only fear is Nintendo saw the leak and made an adjustment for E3 to not show him out of spite and to keep discussion going. Ultimately with the game releasing presumably soon, the characters should be all completed by now or very close to it depending on release date, and Ridley could still be in.

As much as I want to see Ridley tomorrow, keeping the speculation alive would make for a fun few months, otherwise I'm happy with Ridley and my speculation/hype would focus on K. Rool.

Top Bottom