• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
In my perfect world, Smash's showing at E3 starts withshwoing off the veterans and inklings, then a fight between Smaus and the Inkling girl trasitions to pre-rendered and as they shootout... a shadow passes over them. Then we see the reflection in Samus's visor...
Honestly at this point, what would be a bigger deal to Smash fans? E3 trailers need to be a memorable thing, Ridley's inclusion would be the stuff of legends even if you don't care for him, and the way you presented it would be perfect.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Hey where is the Melee poll from way back in Japan? Something about Ridley receiving 4 votes where as King Dedede(the winner) received 5 votes. I remember seeing that list a ton of times before but I just can't find it. Any help?

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
As soon as I saw the Smash trailer, I knew I had to come back here! We have another shot! You have my full support for our Commander!!! SPACE PIRATES NEVER FALTER!!!!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Hey! Since speculation has now started, I'm going to be keeping tabs with this thread as well since I support Ridley in Smash no matter his chances.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I rode the Ridley hype train hard during Smash 4 pre-release. After so much disappointment, my faith in Ridley being playable has dropped a lot.

HOWEVER

That does not mean that I still don't want him to make his glorious debut. I'll remain pessimistic. But if Ridley ever does have his big break you can be damn sure I'll celebrating like a mad man.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Found this while looking through an old Smash related pictures folder from when the Smash 4 Ridley thread was closed:

Thank god the speculation period won't be as long this time.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Honestly at this point, what would be a bigger deal to Smash fans? E3 trailers need to be a memorable thing, Ridley's inclusion would be the stuff of legends even if you don't care for him, and the way you presented it would be perfect.
No, Sakurai's a magician. We won't get heads or tails whether Ridley's playable or not until the full game drops, nevermind E3.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Either way I want everyone in here to realize if we don't get Ridley that it's in everyone's best interest not to have a meltdown. Especially as there's the possibility of it being a port
I don't think there's too much to fear about a meltdown, some frustration will probably happen, but unlike with Brawl and Smash 4 there's not an expectation of Ridley making it in this time, just cautious optimism at best. The only way it'll happen is if Sakurai needlessly string us along with anything that can be interpreted as a hint.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I don't think there's too much to fear about a meltdown, some frustration will probably happen, but unlike with Brawl and Smash 4 there's not an expectation of Ridley making it in this time, just cautious optimism at best. The only way it'll happen is if Sakurai needlessly string us along with anything that can be interpreted as a hint.
I can already see it.

Post a picture on the dojo of the Pyrosphere as a returning stage but no Ridley.
Caption "Something seems to be missing,"

Then no news about the Pyrosphere for months letting the fanbase debate until a few days before release between "He made Ridley playable" and "He didn't finish the stage yet".

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Even though I'm prepared to accept that Sakurai may or may not have changed his stance on Ridley since the last game, I'm still going to hold on to the Space Pirate's code and hope Smash can surprise us by making Ridley playable.

Once a Space Pirate, always a Space Pirate.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Time to start supporting my most wanted character ever once again. We took a big blow when it was revealed that Sakurai was indeed in charge of Smash 5, but i’ll still hold out hope.

A few months is almost too bearable compared to what we've all been through at least once before... Short enough for Ridley to say "Wake me when it's over".

View attachment 138332
So very accurate. After the eternities that were the Brawl and Sm4sh character speculation periods, this is going to be child’s play. That’s the strongest evidence for the game being a port also, although I still think it’s a new game. There just won’t be a lot of time for them to drag out revealing characters like they normally do, nor will there be a ton of time for Sakurai’s usual trolling of Ridley supporters. (Also, far less time for hype to build in this thread to the point of it attracting as many Too Bigots as it usually does). If it’s a port, well, we already know the roster and they we didn’t make the cut. If it’s not, there may well be 1 or 2 big waves of character announcements. That, or barely anything until the roster leak right before launch.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I managed to resurrect this account from back in the pre-Smash 4 days purely for the purposes of throwing my hat back into the ring again. I don't think things will ever escalate to the all-out war that was the 5 months between the April and October directs, but that's probably for the better.

Anyway, I hope you Space Pirates enjoyed your 4 year vacation, because 2018 is going to be a big year for us!

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Also back to throw my support behind that purple space dragon. I remember hanging around during the craziness that was Smash 4 pre-release speculation, what a ride that was.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Here's to hoping that Ridley makes it in this time. Will take Samus Returns Ridley.

It's really weird going into RTC and seeing scores above 50.

For Ridley. Out of all characters. This mother ****ing dragon just will not die will he? Or maybe y'all are still drinking the water. . . :p
:061:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Legit my most wanted character since December 2001, when we found out Ridley was just in the opening cinematic instead of the roster of Melee.

I have no faith. Last time was, in our minds, so absolutely certainly Ridley's time. What we got instead was the literal sound of a deflating balloon, a few months of desperate insanity, a quote pretty much putting the final nail in the coffin forever, and then another several months of DLC delusion.

But I still have hope, because at this point it's an inescapable irrational desire. I don't have it in me to go crazy this time, but the day he shows up playable will be a victory. A satisfaction that will, for a moment, bring good into this world.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Signed back on for the first time in literally years fellas.

Let's hope that Sakurai pulls a Villager/Pac-Man/Mii's on Ridley this time around.

I also wouldn't mind Proteus Ridley being the "model" they use.

Let's hope for the best, since Metroid is a little more relevant with Samus Returns and Prime 4, we may have atleast a 1% chance :D

D

Deleted member

So, Smash Switch is announced. Depending on whether it's a port of Smash 4 and whether or not Sakurai is at the helm we can probably determine pretty early on whether Ridley is in or not, if either of those are true then chances look pretty slim from the get go.

In the likely scenario that both of those are true then the only things I could see making a difference this time around is 1. Metroid being relevant again and desperately needing representation, and 2. Sakurai having a good old fashioned change of heart. It's also worth noting that with Sylux likely playing a key role in Prime 4 Sakurai could just opt for him as he's an easier inclusion, so we'd have to heavily rely on the second point.
Wasn't it confirmed that Sakurai is directing this game or is that a rumor? I hear people say that but I can't recall for sure.

Also I don't think that Sakurai is ever going to see Metroid as a franchise that "needs" representation. Metroid is about isolation and it's telling that the only two characters have been Samus with and without a suit. If he's not going to add Ridley, I doubt he's going to go several levels down and add Sylux or Dark Samus unless he becomes enthusiastic about either characters.
Not sure what the future holds for Ridley, but there's a few positives we can pull from this. First off, Ridley has made a major appearance in a game that's not even a year old yet. Not every popular character can say that. Second, Prime 4 is (supposedly) being developed by Bandai Namco, and I can definitely see Sakurai helping the studio promote their game by adding a new Metroid character. He did it with Intelligent Systems and FE, so I don't see why he wouldn't do the same for the studio helping him with Smash.
Eurogamer confirmed that Namco Bandai is working on it to dispel any mystery on the developer. The Smash Switch developer remains a mystery which is important if we're to assume that Namco Bandai's involvement gives Ridley a shot. First Namco Bandai Singapore, now apparently Namco Bandai Japan is leading the development in collaboration with Nintendo. But would Sakurai even be able to look at a concept of Metroid Prime 4's Ridley from Namco Bandai if he wants to consider him again? I'm not sure when the game went into development although this implies before E3 2017. But how long before the confirmation? Sakurai said that he's been working on the game for about two years when Smash for Switch got confirmed and we're not sure when he decided on the characters. The question of when is important to ask if we're to assume he has a shot. Because unless everything lines up, he's not getting in and it's going to take a lot from Sakurai to change his mind
Found this while looking through an old Smash related pictures folder from when the Smash 4 Ridley thread was closed:

Thank god the speculation period won't be as long this time.
I thought my 200+ posts on the K. Rool and Mega Man forums were a lot. That makes me imagine how active I would have been in the Mega Man thread had I snatched it from the start. But it's hard to believe I'm nearly 10K posts in. There have been no forums that I've been more actively involved in than this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
BotW Link aside...

View attachment 138252

With those bigger looking power suit shoulders, I like to think it's the Samus Returns version of Aran, but can't say for sure right now.

Ridley? Look in the clouds or something.
I noticed this aswell, it may even be Prime 4's Samus. Regardless, I'm glad it looks nothing like the Other M design and more retro-y.

Here's to hoping that even if Riddles is still a boss, that Samus gets a bunch of cool costumes.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The bigger question I have at this point is which of the 3 versions of the Proteus battle theme will they end up adding.

Would also absolutely like any SR inspired stage, albeit please not another Ridley-as-a-hazard one.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The bigger question I have at this point is which of the 3 versions of the Proteus battle theme will they end up adding.

Would also absolutely like any SR inspired stage, albeit please not another Ridley-as-a-hazard one.
Mentioned before as an alternative, but what about the baby or literally any Metroid evolutions as stage hazards instead, along with maybe Diggernaut popping out here and there?

D

Deleted member

Not sure if this has been posted here but according to this Source Gaming tweet, it looks like the game may have started development on November 2016. For comparison, Smash 3DS & Wii U started development in March 2012 and the character roster was decided by I believe August 2012 (but correct me if this is wrong). Depending on when Metroid Prime 4 started development, it may have started while the roster for Smash 5 was still being decided upon. It's possible that Namco Bandai made concept art of Ridley during this time although that's based off my admittedly primitive knowledge of game development.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wasn't it confirmed that Sakurai is directing this game or is that a rumor? I hear people say that but I can't recall for sure.
It's confirmed now as he said he's working on it on Twitter, but wasn't at the time of the post.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not sure if this has been posted here but according to this Source Gaming tweet, it looks like the game may have started development on November 2016. For comparison, Smash 3DS & Wii U started development in March 2012 and the character roster was decided by I believe August 2012 (but correct me if this is wrong). Depending on when Metroid Prime 4 started development, it may have started while the roster for Smash 5 was still being decided upon. It's possible that Namco Bandai made concept art of Ridley during this time although that's based off my admittedly primitive knowledge of game development.
If this game started development only one month after we learned the true name of the "NX", I think Nintendo is going to make sure Sakurai gets plenty of inside information on upcoming games. The hard part is predicting if this will have a huge influence on characters, as most of the big Switch titles announced last year were probably in early development.

I can't confidently say if FE Switch and MP4 have a good chance of being considered for possible newcomers. It's getting close to a year since we first heard of them, and we still don't have a proper gameplay trailer for either, suggesting that these two titles were in early development by this time last year. Other Switch games like Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 were so close to being finished by late 2016 that Sakurai likely had plenty of material to work off of. Not sure if FE16 protagonist or Ridley/Sylux would have a decent chance of getting added if the development team for each of their respective games were still working on character designs and models. I think Sakurai would at least like to get a feel for how the character functions in their game before working on a moveset for a newcomer of that magnitude.

Samus Returns is fair game though. That game was easily in late development by the beginning of 2017. I'd say there's a good chance that Sakurai is taking inspiration from that game, and since Ridley did have a major role, I'd say his odds of being looked at are still decent, even without the help of MP4.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If this game started development only one month after we learned the true name of the "NX", I think Nintendo is going to make sure Sakurai gets plenty of inside information on upcoming games. The hard part is predicting if this will have a huge influence on characters, as most of the big Switch titles announced last year were probably in early development.

I can't confidently say if FE Switch and MP4 have a good chance of being considered for possible newcomers. It's getting close to a year since we first heard of them, and we still don't have a proper gameplay trailer for either, suggesting that these two titles were in early development by this time last year. Other Switch games like Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 were so close to being finished by late 2016 that Sakurai likely had plenty of material to work off of. Not sure if FE16 protagonist or Ridley/Sylux would have a decent chance of getting added if the development team for each of their respective games were still working on character designs and models. I think Sakurai would at least like to get a feel for how the character functions in their game before working on a moveset for a newcomer of that magnitude.

Samus Returns is fair game though. That game was easily in late development by the beginning of 2017. I'd say there's a good chance that Sakurai is taking inspiration from that game, and since Ridley did have a major role, I'd say his odds of being looked at are still decent, even without the help of MP4.
I think Sakurai has probably gotten an early peek at Fire Emblem, it's always seemed like Intelligent Systems have worked very closely with him when it comes to promoting their new games in Smash all the way back to Roy getting into Melee. We also know that he got an extremely early look at Pokémon X & Y so he could include a newcomer from Gen 6, and a lot of the things about Greninja, like his water swords, was Sakurai's own ideas just based on the design.

I'm not sure it'll be the same with Metroid as it's a series that doesn't have to promote its newest games in the form of characters, and it also seems like in the other cases it's been Intelligent Systems and Game Freak who have taken the initiative and invited Sakurai over. If he were to get a look at Prime 4's concept art then I think he'd have to be the one taking the initiative, and I'm not sure he'd take some of the Prime 4 team's time if he weren't 100% certain that he wanted to include a Metroid newcomer, which I find doubtful as it's not a franchise that's very character-centric. Granted he might have gotten a look in if only to see what their Samus and ZSS designs look like.

As far as Ridley is concerned I don't think it matters much though, if he is in Prime 4 then I doubt they'll scale him down, it's in a 3D environment where I'd most expect his proportions to be ill-suited for Smash, especially as far as his wingspan is concerned. They also already have the Samus-sized rival in Sylux which eliminates any need there might have been to scale Ridley down. Sakurai already knows everything he needs to in regards to Ridley, he's had to hear about that darn dragon for as long as we've voiced our support for him, so Prime 4 would have to do something really special with Ridley if it were to make any difference.

Like you said I think SR will be the Metroid game they take most of their inspiration from, especially if Samus' design changes to her SR suit as her silhouette in the trailer might indicate. I don't think Ridley's design will necessarily follow suit though (whatever his role will be), we know we're getting BotW Link despite Sheik and Ganondorf not having designs from that game, so Sakurai will probably do whatever he wants to.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Sakurai has probably gotten an early peek at Fire Emblem, it's always seemed like Intelligent Systems have worked very closely with him when it comes to promoting their new games in Smash all the way back to Roy getting into Melee. We also know that he got an extremely early look at Pokémon X & Y so he could include a newcomer from Gen 6, and a lot of the things about Greninja, like his water swords, was Sakurai's own ideas just based on the design.

I'm not sure it'll be the same with Metroid as it's a series that doesn't have to promote its newest games in the form of characters, and it also seems like in the other cases it's been Intelligent Systems and Game Freak who have taken the initiative and invited Sakurai over. If he were to get a look at Prime 4's concept art then I think he'd have to be the one taking the initiative, and I'm not sure he'd take some of the Prime 4 team's time if he weren't 100% certain that he wanted to include a Metroid newcomer, which I find doubtful as it's not a franchise that's very character-centric. Granted he might have gotten a look in if only to see what their Samus and ZSS designs look like.

As far as Ridley is concerned I don't think it matters much though, if he is in Prime 4 then I doubt they'll scale him down, it's in a 3D environment where I'd most expect his proportions to be ill-suited for Smash, especially as far as his wingspan is concerned. They also already have the Samus-sized rival in Sylux which eliminates any need there might have been to scale Ridley down. Sakurai already knows everything he needs to in regards to Ridley, he's had to hear about that darn dragon for as long as we've voiced our support for him, so Prime 4 would have to do something really special with Ridley if it were to make any difference.

Like you said I think SR will be the Metroid game they take most of their inspiration from, especially if Samus' design changes to her SR suit as her silhouette in the trailer might indicate. I don't think Ridley's design will necessarily follow suit though (whatever his role will be), we know we're getting BotW Link despite Sheik and Ganondorf not having designs from that game, so Sakurai will probably do whatever he wants to.
With both FE and Pokemon, Sakurai seems to take a lot of liberties with the characters. I remember him mentioning that he made Roy a strong clone after reading his character bio, but then felt like it didn't accurately represent him after he played Binding Blade for himself. With Greninja, it was basically Sakurai asking GF for a popular Gen VI Pokemon. GF responded by giving him a little info on Greninja, and then Sakurai had to personally create a moveset based off the information he was given.

With Metroid being developed by Namco, I still think Sakurai might want to include a Prime 4/Metroid character just so he can help them raise awareness for their game. He's certainly spent a lot of time with the workers there, and I'm sure he's probably gotten close with a few people who helped him make Smash 4 (and possibly Smash 5). Maybe I'm giving Sakurai a motivation that he doesn't really have, but I'm hoping this plays out the way I think it will.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
But what if Ridley takes extra damage from the Falchion, how will he handle this?

BTW, even if it's not likely, I (still) support Ridley for SSB
Hah! That'd be a nice sly little Fire Emblem reference.

Well, my thought would be maybe he wouldn't do that in the name of balance, but if he did, it'd probably bee something like Brawl with fire, water, and grass moves. Pokémon Trainers 3 Pokémon take -10% knockback for type they resist (I.E. Ivysaur being hit with water attacks), and +10% knockback for attacks they're weak too (I.E. Ivysaur being hit with fire attacks). A falchion advantage against Ridley could manifest like that, as a presumably negligible advantage that Ridley players could hopefully play around, and might not even be their biggest concern if they don't see and fight a lot of Marth/Lucina mains.

Still, it would be interesting to consider the possibility of Ridley becoming a prominent character in tournaments, to the point where other players start picking up Marth to counter them.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't rule out Fire Emblem 16. The game is supposed to come out this year and was announced January of last year so unless it's been pushed back, it looks to be a case of not unveiling games until they have game play footage to show.

Why would Samus Returns be fair game for Ridley? If his proportions are as ill-suited for Smash as they usually are, it's not going to help him.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't rule out Fire Emblem 16. The game is supposed to come out this year and was announced January of last year so unless it's been pushed back, it looks to be a case of not unveiling games until they have game play footage to show.

Why would Samus Returns be fair game for Ridley? If his proportions are as ill-suited for Smash as they usually are, it's not going to help him.
I really wouldn't count on an FE16 character being in the base roster.Fire Emblem is in kind of a weird position as it pertains to Smash.The only game post fates that would've been far enough in development
to take into account is Shadows of Valentia which in itself is an enhanced remake.
Given how in early 2017 They didn't even have enough done to show a teaser trailer using the games opening cinematic like Awakening and Fates did I'd be surprised if the games character designs were even finalized when Sakurai decided on the roster.
If we get any FE newcomers at all they'll probably be from older games like Tiki or Lyn.
On the subject of dragon xenomorph,does anyone else think Samus returns Ridley look like he'd be easier to scale down?

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm still in this to the end. Regardless of what happens ladies and gentlemen, remember that Space Pirates don't falter.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
Back in 2014 I used to be part of the anti-Ridley train, but now I'm just gonna say.....**** it, I WANT him now. We need another Metroid rep and Ridley is just right there waiting to get in.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Back in 2014 I used to be part of the anti-Ridley train, but now I'm just gonna say.....**** it, I WANT him now. We need another Metroid rep and Ridley is just right there waiting to get in.
Nice to have you. What made you change your mind?

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
Nice to have you. What made you change your mind?
I really didn't want Ridley because of his Other M design, it looked so bland compared to his earlier designs. If we can have Ridley in his Super Metroid design, well.....that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom