• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Does anyome mind telling me why people think Ridley is so darn good? I personally can't see it to me he's just another heavy weight combo food.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Does anyome mind telling me why people think Ridley is so darn good? I personally can't see it to me he's just another heavy weight combo food.
S K E W E R

But now, in all seriousness, I didn't think that was the popular opinion. Most tier lists place him really low (I don't put any stock in tier lists, but that's me). We all in this thread play, get good as, and defend Ridley as a fighter cause we like him as a character, and so we find his strengths.

His size does kinda become a drawback since he's so light and makes him an easier target than most for combos, and a lot of his moves do leave him pretty vulnerable.

But he has a lot of traits that make him pretty interesting and unconventional as a heavy, and thus fun to play as. Like I said, he's very light, making hin lean more towards aerials. His Specials are at a glance pretty similar to most heavies, but they're mechanically pretty different. Neutral-B has really nice range on it unlike a lot of heavy projectiles, and the bounciness makes it nice for edge-guarding. His Side-B is a command-grab like Ganondorf and Bowser, but dragging an opponent across the whole stage the way Ridley does is something never-before-seen. A move with as much precision and risk as Skewer is also something you don't see on many larger fighters. Specials aside, he's got a lot of variation in his A-attacks, from circular sweeps to rapid-fire stabbing. And combine Up-B angled down with Down-air and offstage Side-B and he has a whopping three potential suicide attacks. Ridley's got a lot of unique tools and variation in his fighting style, something that isn't found on many other heavies (excepting maybe his ol' buddy K. Rool).

That's been my experience anyway.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Most of his moveset is really good but the thing with Ridley is that while he can tear you a new one, his disadvantage state is godawful and you WILL need to accept that Ridley can get slaughtered easily if you're not careful. He's also basically a sword character considering he has amazing ass disjoints, his tail tilts especially. His command grab is so rewarding on hit that they literally programmed it to be different to balance it out (Knockback gets lower the longer you drag someone one the stage while the damage increases to basically have the move do the same knockback no matter how long you drag someone down). Plasma Breath can be very oppressive too as reflectors don't work very well due to it being 5 projectiles. His aerials outside of down air are all pretty good too, especially Nair and Bair

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Ridley is a friggy mix of mewtwo and charizard I swear
Charizard is, in my opinion, the character in the cast that is most similar to Ridley. I actually think the two may even share the same rig, which is a collection of bones and associated controls that bind to the character's mesh, which is then used to create animations. They're both hexapods with long necks and tails, and Charizard's neutral air looks suspiciously like Ridley's.

I personally do not think that he is a particularly "good" fighter, in the essence that he's going to be a top pick if your sole desire is to be as competitive as possible. I do not think he deserves to be placed in the wastebin tiers he regularly gets tossed in on pretty much every tier list though, especially given his tournament representation does not justify such a placement with several players doing quite well with Ridley in tournaments. I personally think he's slightly above average in tier.

Some of the things I think are strong about him are:

Long-reaching tilts that have relatively low startup time and huge hitboxes. Down and Up tilt can combo into other hits quite nicely, and forward tilt can kill and be aimed.

A simple, but effective projectile that deals egregious damage, stunlocks an opponent which opens them for followup attacks, hits multiple times, eats most other projectiles, and is great for ledge guarding.

Great aerials that beat most of the cast's due to range and disjointed hitboxes. Back air hits really hard, has a huge hitbox, and kills. Neutral air beats most other hitboxes and hits in a large circle, so it's super easy to hit with. Forward air and Neutral can often combo into themselves or other attacks, and up air can kill or often hit into itself. Forward can kill and is great for gimping. Etc. They're all wonderful (except maybe down-air, which is situational) and have separate roles, and each of them reaches really far and usually can out-compete any other character in the air.

Has, in my opinion, one of the best sources of "mental damage" in the game. Skewer is so much fun and feels super satisfying to get off. It can definitely put your opponent on edge or make them feel humiliated when they get hit by it, even if it's somewhat "gimmicky." Playing in rl with friends, I can attest to just how much of a reaction this move can generate, as it's certainly tilted them at certain points.

A set of fast, well-designed, hard-hitting, unique smashes that each have their own role and do not feel redundant. Forward smash comes out rather quickly and hits almost as hard as Ganondorf's smash (5.6 meters at 0%, against Ganon's 6.5 meter smash at 0% against Krool, I believe). Up smash has an asymmetrical hitbox, where Ridley's foot on the back-facing edge of the smash comes out quite fast. Rotating backwards and hitting with this is quite fast, and it contests most character's down-air or down-b attacks due to the disjoint on his foot. it also covers platforms well. Down smash is great for catching rolls, ledge climbs, ledge hangs, ledge grabs, can two-frame, and even comes with a little hop that protects Ridley from many down tilts, get up attacks, or ledge attacks when well-timed.

He's good at maintaining advantage when he has it and keeping opponents in the air or off the stage. His command grab, basically his signature move, is good at doing this, and is great for punishing rolls, shields, spot dodges (due to it being just laggy enough to make it tricky to spot dodge), or, occasionally, whiffed attacks.

Some of the things I think are weak about him:

Gets brutally comboed or juggled by other characters, especially fast, small ones. This can make playing as him frustrating to play, as it can really feel like there's nothing you can do once that Pichu gets ahold of you.

Deceptively light for his size.

Up b recovery can, unfortunately, be gimped or he can be hit out of it, especially during the startup phase, making gimping him when he's recovering an enticing option for your opponent.

Has a very hard time getting around zoners or very projectile-heavy characters such as Young Link, Simon/Richter, Samus/Dark Samus, and others.

He's a very enjoyable and fun character to play. His toolset is unique, powerful, and rewarding. He has a few weaknesses that certainly can be frustrating though.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For those of you wondering whether Ridley is good, let me ask you a few questions. Would you think a ridley could take down Samsora's peach? How about Zero's Wolf? I'm here to tell you he can. Feast your eyes and believe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1g1YO2QnY
Ironic how Zero uploads a video showing us how good Ridley can be when he's the one who's largely responsible for the popular "Ridley is bottom tier" opinion.

I really wish people would stop taking his first impressions so literally and remember that the metagame is still young. Even Zero himself knows that it's too early to have a clear idea of where a character stands on the tier list.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Charizard is, in my opinion, the character in the cast that is most similar to Ridley. I actually think the two may even share the same rig, which is a collection of bones and associated controls that bind to the character's mesh, which is then used to create animations. They're both hexapods with long necks and tails, and Charizard's neutral air looks suspiciously like Ridley's.

I personally do not think that he is a particularly "good" fighter, in the essence that he's going to be a top pick if your sole desire is to be as competitive as possible. I do not think he deserves to be placed in the wastebin tiers he regularly gets tossed in on pretty much every tier list though, especially given his tournament representation does not justify such a placement with several players doing quite well with Ridley in tournaments. I personally think he's slightly above average in tier.

Some of the things I think are strong about him are:

Long-reaching tilts that have relatively low startup time and huge hitboxes. Down and Up tilt can combo into other hits quite nicely, and forward tilt can kill and be aimed.

A simple, but effective projectile that deals egregious damage, stunlocks an opponent which opens them for followup attacks, hits multiple times, eats most other projectiles, and is great for ledge guarding.

Great aerials that beat most of the cast's due to range and disjointed hitboxes. Back air hits really hard, has a huge hitbox, and kills. Neutral air beats most other hitboxes and hits in a large circle, so it's super easy to hit with. Forward air and Neutral can often combo into themselves or other attacks, and up air can kill or often hit into itself. Forward can kill and is great for gimping. Etc. They're all wonderful (except maybe down-air, which is situational) and have separate roles, and each of them reaches really far and usually can out-compete any other character in the air.

Has, in my opinion, one of the best sources of "mental damage" in the game. Skewer is so much fun and feels super satisfying to get off. It can definitely put your opponent on edge or make them feel humiliated when they get hit by it, even if it's somewhat "gimmicky." Playing in rl with friends, I can attest to just how much of a reaction this move can generate, as it's certainly tilted them at certain points.

A set of fast, well-designed, hard-hitting, unique smashes that each have their own role and do not feel redundant. Forward smash comes out rather quickly and hits almost as hard as Ganondorf's smash (5.6 meters at 0%, against Ganon's 6.5 meter smash at 0% against Krool, I believe). Up smash has an asymmetrical hitbox, where Ridley's foot on the back-facing edge of the smash comes out quite fast. Rotating backwards and hitting with this is quite fast, and it contests most character's down-air or down-b attacks due to the disjoint on his foot. it also covers platforms well. Down smash is great for catching rolls, ledge climbs, ledge hangs, ledge grabs, can two-frame, and even comes with a little hop that protects Ridley from many down tilts, get up attacks, or ledge attacks when well-timed.

He's good at maintaining advantage when he has it and keeping opponents in the air or off the stage. His command grab, basically his signature move, is good at doing this, and is great for punishing rolls, shields, spot dodges (due to it being just laggy enough to make it tricky to spot dodge), or, occasionally, whiffed attacks.

Some of the things I think are weak about him:

Gets brutally comboed or juggled by other characters, especially fast, small ones. This can make playing as him frustrating to play, as it can really feel like there's nothing you can do once that Pichu gets ahold of you.

Deceptively light for his size.

Up b recovery can, unfortunately, be gimped or he can be hit out of it, especially during the startup phase, making gimping him when he's recovering an enticing option for your opponent.

Has a very hard time getting around zoners or very projectile-heavy characters such as Young Link, Simon/Richter, Samus/Dark Samus, and others.

He's a very enjoyable and fun character to play. His toolset is unique, powerful, and rewarding. He has a few weaknesses that certainly can be frustrating though.
Holy hell thank you for your input this helps much. Just one question though, hows his combos? Also that fsmash is incredibly hard to punish on shield

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Holy hell thank you for your input this helps much. Just one question though, hows his combos? Also that fsmash is incredibly hard to punish on shield
He's not primarily combo-based like Captain Falcon, but if you're aware of a few little combos he has, they can come in handy for stringing a good 30-40% onto your opponent and starting their fresh stock strong or making the most of your grabs. Most Ridley's combos work at lower percents and start falling apart when they start climbing in percentage.

This thread here has a lot of his combos listed out, and has some videos to go alongside. I have found the thread to be quite helpful to read and to practice with.

https://smashboards.com/threads/official-and-potential-combos-of-the-ridders.466605/

Most of his combos begin with either down tilt or down throw. These two moves easily combo, at low to mid percents, into either a short or full hop depending on percent, into forward / neutral aerials quite easily, or up aerial if they're getting a bit higher on percent. Down tilt / throw into up air often starts being more relevant when they're getting too high in percent for any other combo to work off these two moves.

You can also, depending on percent (this starts working above 20-40%, depending on character), often down tilt / throw into, potentially, several up tilts, then ending with a jump and your aerial of choice, as most will work when they're hit up into the air with an up tilt. Be cautious with this, as the percent you can string up tilts together varies by character, and is quite percent-based. Too low and they'll be able to break out. Too high, and they fly too high to follow up with another.

Most of the time, if you land one up aerial and they're at a mid-range percent (30-70ish, depending on character), you can often use Ridley's second jump to land another, and occasionally, even another off his third jump. I very occasionally can land an up b as a final blow on someone, but it's risky, punishable, and isn't really a true addition to the combo.

When in doubt, go with a down tilt / throw into a forward air. That one's pretty much always gonna work, regardless of who you're fighting and what percent they're at, but it's tougher to really follow up with and get additional hits beyond just a 2-step combo so I usually use this on either if I want to be safe or if I don't think they're at a proper percent for anything juicier.

Off edges, Ridley can often string forward airs and neutral airs in a row, which can KO your opponent at very low percents off the side blast zones of the stage. This doesn't work on all characters or all percents, and sometimes it can be finicky whether or not they can get out of it. This doesn't work on-stage because you land, preventing you from air hopping into a second forward air or neutral air after your first.

It's kind of a cheesy combo, but on certain characters Ridley can just start spamming up tilt and it will hit again and again and again. Tall or heavy characters are great for this. Sometimes a great punish can be to use up tilt in their face to start a string of them, into up airs (or other aerials if you so choose).

You can also "weak combo" sometimes with Ridley, where you do a couple moves, wait to see how your opponent reacts (or remember how they reacted last time), and hit them with a third and even fourth following move. One I like to do to start a fresh stock is down throw into short hop forward air, fastfall land, and wait to see if they air dodge. If they do, then you can up tilt, sometimes several times, into your aerial of choice. If they land instead of air dodging, you can sometimes hit them with a successive down tilt and combo into up tilt into up air. To get longer combos with Ridley, a lot of times you'll need to watch what they do and follow up, but it won't be a true combo.

There are some rather complex combos Ridley can do as well that I'm not very good at, but he does have some funky stuff involving RARs and deliberately sour-spotting aerials. I've never done these personally, and have really just started to grasp and practice the more basic combos I discussed above.

He has no guaranteed combo into skewer, but sometimes if you down throw someone at a very low percent, they'll stand up and be in the perfect spot for a skewer. Most players I fight don't seem to fall for this, however.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
RAR nair into other moves I only started practicing more recently, some of which have tighter timing but if you can pull it off, it’s great. There’s the commonly known rar nair into dash attack that’s used for killing at high percents, and then there’s doing turnaround attacks after you rar nair, whether it bit tilts, smashes, or even some specials, since you’ll face the opposite direction from the opponent after you rar.

RAR nair followed by reverse skewer is very nice if you can pull it off. Reverse fireball after rar is also kinda clever, and of course after rar nair you can immediately followup into b-air with the direction you’ll be facing afterwards.

U-tilt I also generally prefer to face the opposite direction from the opponent regardless of how you followup into it (turn around and immediately u-tilt with the wings, etc). Admittedly though I haven’t been able to pull off some of the ones where you do like a turnaround u-tilt mid combo, but maybe with more practice I’ll get the timing for it eventually.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
PSX_20190411_104836.jpg

*Ridiculously high pitched scream is heard in the distance*

"What in the bloody **** is going on?!"

"BIG BRO! HELLLLP!!! It is gonna eat me!" *Roidley rushes to hide under Ridley's wing*

*Little Metroid flies in*

"...You got to be kidding."

"NO! KILL IT!! WHAAAAA!!!"

"AGH! Just calm the Hell down, geez!" *Slaps the alien jellyfish* "There, happy now?! It's gone!"

"...Really? *sniff*"

"Yes, really. But good grief, Silly One...I never saw you this altered before, nor you screeching being overly high to borderline stupid levels."

"...I dunno...That thing bit me and I remembered something similar happening to me before!...It's blurry!"

"...As if your life was not already a mysterious mess. Come on, let's get you that bite checked before you make me lose my sanity with more of your girly whining."

:) Just a doodle. I miss my laptop. ; . ;

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
View attachment 207151
*Ridiculously high pitched scream is heard in the distance*

"What in the bloody **** is going on?!"

"BIG BRO! HELLLLP!!! It is gonna eat me!" *Roidley rushes to hide under Ridley's wing*

*Little Metroid flies in*

"...You got to be kidding."

"NO! KILL IT!! WHAAAAA!!!"

"AGH! Just calm the Hell down, geez!" *Slaps the alien jellyfish* "There, happy now?! It's gone!"

"...Really? *sniff*"

"Yes, really. But good grief, Silly One...I never saw you this altered before, nor you screeching being overly high to borderline stupid levels."

"...I dunno...That thing bit me and I remembered something similar happening to me before!...It's blurry!"

"...As if your life was not already a mysterious mess. Come on, let's get you that bite checked before you make me lose my sanity with more of your girly whinning."

:) Just a doodle. I miss my laptop. ; . ;
It's great seeing your art again Andrea. I hope life has been treating you well. I should transfer some of my Ridley photos off my Switch and post some here. Also, playing online has been an up and down experience for me so far. Hopefully, I can get to Elite Smash with Ridley and some of my other mains.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

It's great seeing your art again Andrea. I hope life has been treating you well. I should transfer some of my Ridley photos off my Switch and post some here. Also, playing online has been an up and down experience for me so far. Hopefully, I can get to Elite Smash with Ridley and some of my other mains.
:3 It makes me happy that you enjoy it, my friend! And it has, mostly! T w T My laptop is still under repair and I do really miss making things digitally. But hopefully soon!

:D Ah, awesome! I look forward to see them! I hope I might also get a Switch and Smash at some point after I get all the pending stuff done regarding showing my work and get commissions!

And really? o.o Why is that? How has been online going?

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
:3 It makes me happy that you enjoy it, my friend! And it has, mostly! T w T My laptop is still under repair and I do really miss making things digitally. But hopefully soon!

:D Ah, awesome! I look forward to see them! I hope I might also get a Switch and Smash at some point after I get all the pending stuff done regarding showing my work and get commissions!

And really? o.o Why is that? How has been online going?
You're quite welcome Andrea :). I just got to get a SD card specifically for the Switch so I can transfer to my laptop.

On online, I sometimes have some great matches and then I have some not good matches where I'm not at my best. Or I run into players who have their settings that I don't prefer (like 3 stock on stamina) or players who rather spam certain attack and whatnot. But as a whole, I'm having fun with it so far. I got improvement ahead of me.

AndreaAC

You're quite welcome Andrea :). I just got to get a SD card specifically for the Switch so I can transfer to my laptop.

On online, I sometimes have some great matches and then I have some not good matches where I'm not at my best. Or I run into players who have their settings that I don't prefer (like 3 stock on stamina) or players who rather spam certain attack and whatnot. But as a whole, I'm having fun with it so far. I got improvement ahead of me.
:D Ah, I need to remind myself of getting one so I can do the same! I would go crazy taking screenshots, since they would be helpful when drawing! And again, I cannot wait to see what you got!

:3 I think fun is what matters the most! But I know its not easy! The best of luck getting into Elite! One day I really want to play with you all!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Saying you're having fun with Smash Ultimate online is a bold statement around these parts.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Saying you're having fun with Smash Ultimate online is a bold statement around these parts.
Yeah it may have been a little stretch to say that I'm having fun most of the time online. I have fun when I make exciting plays and spikes or having a nail-biting match against good players. I'll admit that I do get frustrated when I screw up or get completely outclassed by others/spam heavy players. It's a process that is for sure. I try not to let the frustration get to me so I take deep breaths and continue on.

I did have some good matches last night with Ridley and got him over 3 million GSP for the time being.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah it may have been a little stretch to say that I'm having fun most of the time online. I have fun when I make exciting plays and spikes or having a nail-biting match against good players. I'll admit that I do get frustrated when I screw up or get completely outclassed by others/spam heavy players. It's a process that is for sure. I try not to let the frustration get to me so I take deep breaths and continue on.

I did have some good matches last night with Ridley and got him over 3 million GSP for the time being.
Oh, it's not about that kind of stuff. Happens all the time in any fighting game.

It's more so the people who are upset that the online and the players they face don't bend over backwards to cater to their every whim. And everyone has a different idea of what online should be like. Some want an ultra-competitive mode with more detailed rankings and the like, even though competitive Smash has way more logistics to consider than the average fighting game. Some want every opportunity to take the easy way out to winning, with stuff like free GSP for opponents disconnecting or easy switching of characters to counterpick, and they low-key resent GSP for matchmaking based on your skill with a particular character for that. There are those who want even more options for Quickplay matchmaking, even as they complain it's unreliable as it is, and on the flipside those clamouring for zero tolerance in variance for their preferences not considering that it will only result in more time spent in the waiting room for all but the most popular settings.

The only issues I've seen that aren't subjective fantasies are the ones levied towards arenas. Fix those up, and you won't need Quickplay to be specific.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't have the Ridley Amiibo yet, only Mega Man and Samus. But I'm glad that he's in, he's my secondary character. I wonder if Meta-Ridley would get an Amiibo variant, that's my favorite alt, so it'd be nice.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I have several characters recorded now that I've matched up against several times online. It's starting to really show, quite eerily, exactly what my "gut feeling" had suggested to me prior to starting this data collection on Ridley matchups. I've only posted here characters that I've encountered online from at least 3 separate players.

My win rate against the fire emblem swordsmen was, as I expected, fantastic. Despite their reputation as being high tier characters, I never felt they were particularly threatening towards Ridley.

On the other hand, I'm definitely struggling with the zoner matchups on this list. Simon, Ness, and even Krool are clearly low win rates for me.

Lastly, I'm seeing a couple in your face, combo-heavy characters reflecting poor matchup rates. Pokemon Trainer (squirtle, ughhhh) and Mario, in particular, I have very poor matchup rates against.

I'm curious, do these win rates reflect others' experiences as well when they queue online as Ridley?
Stats2.PNG

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Not something too many usually think to do, but I believe phasing could help with Ridley’s approaching game to a point, depending on the zoner in question. At least, I’m more sold on it after the demonstration against Wolf now.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I came across a thread with a tired topic (least likely characters to get in Smash) and out of spite I responded with Draygon.
1555543219947.png

I then discovered that Draygon actually has some "evidence" of him being a DLC fighter; He doesn't have a Spirit, despite the other Guardian bosses (Kraid, Phantoon, Ridley) having Spirits. That's it, but it's better than nothing.
I kinda want to make a Draygon Smash moveset now that the thought entered my head.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I came across a thread with a tired topic (least likely characters to get in Smash) and out of spite I responded with Draygon.

I then discovered that Draygon actually has some "evidence" of him being a DLC fighter; He doesn't have a Spirit, despite the other Guardian bosses (Kraid, Phantoon, Ridley) having Spirits. That's it, but it's better than nothing.
I kinda want to make a Draygon Smash moveset now that the thought entered my head.
Note: Kraid, Phantoon, and Ridley have all appeared in multiple Metroid games (as dumb as it was, the Other M postgame counts) whereas Draygon only appeared in Super Metroid (and imo stood out the least of the four), so I can see why he'd be near the back of the line when it came to making Spirits.
Plus, like half the Prime Hunters got left out too.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So how people holding up with the patch notes? While it wasn’t what I was thinking for Ridley, could’ve been worse. I guess he has to struggle to the extent Mewtwo was previously or something for direct buffs to be more strongly considered for him. The overall shield buff definitely helps him though despite plasma breath (like other projectiles) doing less damage to shield now, so count your blessings.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
So how people holding up with the patch notes? While it wasn’t what I was thinking for Ridley, could’ve been worse. I guess he has to struggle to the extent Mewtwo was previously or something for direct buffs to be more strongly considered for him. The overall shield buff definitely helps him though despite plasma breath (like other projectiles) doing less damage to shield now, so count your blessings.
I was definitely pretty disappointed, as I was almost certain there were going to be Ridley buffs since he's been consistently placed so low on community-made tier lists from both pros and amatuers.

I suppose, perhaps, my gut feeling he's being under-rated was shared by Nintendo, however, as I personally don't really feel he's as bad as people think.

It looks like nothing really changed.

Firox

Smash Master
I was definitely pretty disappointed, as I was almost certain there were going to be Ridley buffs since he's been consistently placed so low on community-made tier lists from both pros and amatuers.

I suppose, perhaps, my gut feeling he's being under-rated was shared by Nintendo, however, as I personally don't really feel he's as bad as people think.

It looks like nothing really changed.
The balancing this time around was really weird. They generally ignored most of the characters while buffing kirby and Krool, kirby being one who desperately needed it. Then they buffed Lucina and Chrom of all ppl?? WTF? Wolf got a slight nerf but other than that, nothing notable.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
No nerfs are the real buffs, as most assume that them balancing off of Elite Smash data would lead you to think we'd be in the same boat as Wolf (obnoxious projectile + Smash attack that kills stupid early). Competitive tournament viability/tier lists probably factor a little in since pro players are on the balance team.

But they're most likely looking at the big picture, which is Ridley has strong strengths and very weak weaknesses and isn't held back as much as others. The meta is still very young, perceptions are subject to change (Prime Saga had several Samus/Ridley in top 128, while people were expecting only ZSS to really make waves).

I also agree with this:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
The balancing this time around was really weird. They generally ignored most of the characters while buffing kirby and Krool, kirby being one who desperately needed it. Then they buffed Lucina and Chrom of all ppl?? WTF? Wolf got a slight nerf but other than that, nothing notable.
I believe the grab changes to Lucina and Chrom were more likely done due to the grab not functioning how the developers saw fit, rather than due to an underlying wish to buff those particular characters. It likely wasn't lining up nicely with the animation and visual representation of those characters, leading to situations where a player believed they should have landed a grab when they did not. These kinds of things need fixing, even if it results in a slight buff to a character that's performing well. It improves the overall gameplay quality when moves behave like a player feels they should.

For a bit of context, I'm the owner of a video game I published with a team of friends on Steam. Sometimes we buff certain classes in our game indirectly while fixing a bug or fixing something we aren't happy with that isn't working quite right. It can often lead to players in our community questioning why we'd buff a class that isn't underperforming, when our underlying premise was really just that something needing fixing.

The Dedede Gordo "nerf" in 2.0.0 was likely this as well. The hitbox didn't align with the visual representation of the Gordo, which yielded a "nerf" to its hitbox.

No nerfs are the real buffs, as most assume that them balancing off of Elite Smash data would lead you to think we'd be in the same boat as Wolf (obnoxious projectile + Smash attack that kills stupid early). Competitive tournament viability/tier lists probably factor a little in since pro players are on the balance team.

But they're most likely looking at the big picture, which is Ridley has strong strengths and very weak weaknesses and isn't held back as much as others. The meta is still very young, perceptions are subject to change (Prime Saga had several Samus/Ridley in top 128, while people were expecting only ZSS to really make waves).

I also agree with this:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'm curious. Why do you think Ridley constantly keeps being put so low in the tier lists we've seen made? Most notably, Mew2King's most recent tier listing, among many others. He's #60 on eventhub too, and every time I see a list made anywhere, Ridley's always at the bottom.

Yet, as you said here, he did indeed place three times in Prime Saga, and has historically had above-average tournament representation, which is uncharacteristic of a character people claim to be "F tier".

Firox

Smash Master
I believe the grab changes to Lucina and Chrom were more likely done due to the grab not functioning how the developers saw fit, rather than due to an underlying wish to buff those particular characters. It likely wasn't lining up nicely with the animation and visual representation of those characters, leading to situations where a player believed they should have landed a grab when they did not. These kinds of things need fixing, even if it results in a slight buff to a character that's performing well. It improves the overall gameplay quality when moves behave like a player feels they should.

For a bit of context, I'm the owner of a video game I published with a team of friends on Steam. Sometimes we buff certain classes in our game indirectly while fixing a bug or fixing something we aren't happy with that isn't working quite right. It can often lead to players in our community questioning why we'd buff a class that isn't underperforming, when our underlying premise was really just that something needing fixing.

The Dedede Gordo "nerf" in 2.0.0 was likely this as well. The hitbox didn't align with the visual representation of the Gordo, which yielded a "nerf" to its hitbox.

I'm curious. Why do you think Ridley constantly keeps being put so low in the tier lists we've seen made? Most notably, Mew2King's most recent tier listing, among many others. He's #60 on eventhub too, and every time I see a list made anywhere, Ridley's always at the bottom.

Yet, as you said here, he did indeed place three times in Prime Saga, and has historically had above-average tournament representation, which is uncharacteristic of a character people claim to be "F tier".
I posted a video before of Tweek murdering Nairo, Zero and Samsora with Ridley. He can definitely be good but the general public PERCEIVES him to be crap due to his large hurtbox and weakness to popular tournament picks like Pichu and Fox. They always seem to forget his insane range and reasonably good attack speed. The main issue I think is that it requires a high level of skill to make him truly effective and most tournament level players don't see the point in investing the time when they could pick much lower skill floor characters like Lucina and such.

Top Bottom