• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

UserKev

Smash Champion
I really wish Ridley got into Smash Brawl. I would like to see what moves Sakurai would have pulled from Ridley's boss fights in the Metroid series into his Smash for his move set changes.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Apart from the gliding gimmick back then and space pirate rush in the form of Ridleycide always killing the opponent first (like the original Bowsercide and Ganoncide without any of that being able to mash out of it depending on damage difference stuff), I’m not sure there would’ve been too much changes in his moveset over time from then to now. Maybe there might’ve been one move taken from the Other M clone in the case of SSB4 (skin harden or something), but that’d be about it imo.

While it’s interesting to think how he would’ve been as playable in the previous games in retrospect, it’s good to not have to dwell on things like that much anymore when the dream is finally in front of us here now.

D

Deleted member

I doubt we would have had Skewer back in Brawl and I don't think Ridley would have had many moveset changes inbetween games.
It's also likely his Side B wouldn't exist as it's based off something originating from his boss fight.
Dunno what moves he could have had instead though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I doubt we would have had Skewer back in Brawl and I don't think Ridley would have had many moveset changes inbetween games.
It's also likely his Side B wouldn't exist as it's based off something originating from his boss fight.
Dunno what moves he could have had instead though.
Skewer is basic enough to be based off of any of his previous tail stab attacks in 2D (now that I think about it, the curled up windup brings to mind the spin-up that often preceded the stabbing), plus Super & Fusion both give him special grabs to use. I don't know if current depictions of Ridley still have flexible enough talon feet to carry things with though...

D

Deleted member

Skewer is basic enough to be based off of any of his previous tail stab attacks in 2D (now that I think about it, the curled up windup brings to mind the spin-up that often preceded the stabbing), plus Super & Fusion both give him special grabs to use. I don't know if current depictions of Ridley still have flexible enough talon feet to carry things with though...
Skewer deals incredibly high damage at no knockback or a very small one. It simply doesn't fit the more standard moves Brawl had as it took us until Smash 4 to get really gimmick characters and Cloud was the first to have Skewer's direct opposite with "very low damage at incredibly high knockback"

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Skewer deals incredibly high damage at no knockback or a very small one. It simply doesn't fit the more standard moves Brawl had as it took us until Smash 4 to get really gimmick characters and Cloud was the first to have Skewer's direct opposite with "very low damage at incredibly high knockback"
Brawl is the game where a character plants a mine for their down smash.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I miss that down smash. But yeah, whether something like Skewer would've been added back in Brawl is at least questionable, though not sure what would've been added in its place. Something something Sakurai is unpredictable.

Space Pirate Rush though, might've still happened for the side B. It was technically just part of a cutscene before the Brawl boss fight, but had making Ridley playable been realizable for Sakurai then, he may have still come up with the move anyway. Making up moves for characters is what he does; a mix of that and original game reference attacks, which Ridley has a decent combination of. Having the same back kick b-air as Samus is still weird, though not complaining when it's a good move itself and one of his best kill options. Much as people complain about the d-air ("It's not the pogo-tail, 0/10", etc), at least it's something Ridley can recover back to stage from if used/timed right, that 3rd jump kinda giving him more luxury than other characters with d-air divekicks; just the move itself could just use more power/effect in the case of being reliable.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I miss that down smash. But yeah, whether something like Skewer would've been added back in Brawl is at least questionable, though not sure what would've been added in its place. Something something Sakurai is unpredictable.

Space Pirate Rush though, might've still happened for the side B. It was technically just part of a cutscene before the Brawl boss fight, but had making Ridley playable been realizable for Sakurai then, he may have still come up with the move anyway. Making up moves for characters is what he does; a mix of that and original game reference attacks, which Ridley has a decent combination of. Having the same back kick b-air as Samus is still weird, though not complaining when it's a good move itself and one of his best kill options. Much as people complain about the d-air ("It's not the pogo-tail, 0/10", etc), at least it's something Ridley can recover back to stage from if used/timed right, that 3rd jump kinda giving him more luxury than other characters with d-air divekicks; just the move itself could just use more power/effect in the case of being reliable.
Rivals & antagonists sharing moves is a fairly common ocurrence in Smash, whether it comes from the home series or not. Another example is K. Rool using a clap attack like DK.

We do have the curious coincidence of every Metroid character in Smash possessing a powerful reverse aerial roundhouse kick. Must be an essential part of Chozo martial arts.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Rivals & antagonists sharing moves is a fairly common ocurrence in Smash, whether it comes from the home series or not. Another example is K. Rool using a clap attack like DK.

We do have the curious coincidence of every Metroid character in Smash possessing a powerful reverse aerial roundhouse kick. Must be an essential part of Chozo martial arts.

Now that you mention it, hmmm, Mario and Bowser's back air look suspiciously similar.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Now that you mention it, hmmm, Mario and Bowser's back air look suspiciously similar.
Lots of their moves have similar uses (especially in Ultimate), even if they don't look that way at first. Such as Bowser's aerial cartwheel being a funky version of Mario's tornado, usmashes with invincibility, forward aerials that bring a hand down etc.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

That’s fine and all. It’s just in hindsight one would think Ridley’s b-air would be a simple tail flick from behind, like what Mewtwo’s got with his ironically. Wouldn’t of minded if they had shared that move for a bair considering how much it fits with Ridley, but alas. He’s still got a good one as it is at least.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
The back air thing has intrigued me from the start. Maybe they just felt a kick fit best. After all, it is the most common back aerial, being shared by over 30 characters. Back airs are also generally the strongest aerials, but Ridley's tail swipes (nair and d-tilt) are on the weaker end of the spectrum. Look at his other kicks though (u-smash, dair and downwards Wing Blitz) and you'll see they're either strong launchers or meteor smashes that are designed to finish the job. A tail stab bair might've felt or looked awkward, i dunno...

Looking at Ridley as a whole though, he's probably the character that makes the most of his every extremity. Including edge attacks etc. he has...

Tail attacks: 9
Mouth attacks: 4
Wing attacks: 4
Hand attacks: 9
Kick attacks: 5

The high number of hand attacks is inevitable (grabs, throws, getups) and the tail obviously gets the most use (as it should), but otherwise there's a nice balance. It really is like his whole body is a weapon.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The back air thing has intrigued me from the start. Maybe they just felt a kick fit best. After all, it is the most common back aerial, being shared by over 30 characters. Back airs are also generally the strongest aerials, but Ridley's tail swipes (nair and d-tilt) are on the weaker end of the spectrum. Look at his other kicks though (u-smash, dair and downwards Wing Blitz) and you'll see they're either strong launchers or meteor smashes that are designed to finish the job. A tail stab bair might've felt or looked awkward, i dunno...

Looking at Ridley as a whole though, he's probably the character that makes the most of his every extremity. Including edge attacks etc. he has...

Tail attacks: 9
Mouth attacks: 4
Wing attacks: 4
Hand attacks: 9
Kick attacks: 5

The high number of hand attacks is inevitable (grabs, throws, getups) and the tail obviously gets the most use (as it should), but otherwise there's a nice balance. It really is like his whole body is a weapon.
For the b-air, I imagined the tail flick from behind being like in Super Metroid where sometimes when you space jump behind him too long, he’ll punish you with a tail swing before he turns back around and faces you. The kick and everything is fine as is though, yeah (which has a crazy good hitbox itself). Plus he already has n-air as a get off me aerial, so b-air being one with the tail probably would’ve been seen as redundant.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to see tweets like this one more often.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Interesting... From my experience that matchup can really go either way, depending on the stage and how much trouble Wario's bike gives a Ridley player, though a well timed f-tilt or something is said to stop it but eh.

p.s. While Ridley himself still (sadly) got no buffs in the last update, some of his troublesome matchups did. Now he doesn't have to worry about certain little guys as much.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
It is nice to think back and realize a year earlier people were speculating if Ridley would be in the game or not as a playable fighter, and now we are just, appreciating that he is. :p

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It is nice to think back and realize a year earlier people were speculating if Ridley would be in the game or not as a playable fighter, and now we are just, appreciating that he is. :p
I just exited a mire of people arguing against Banjo Kazooie/Geno's status of deserving to be in Smash, and I'm just happy that I don't have to defend Ridley and King K. Rool's claim to the game any more.

Banjo and Geno fans must be so tired...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I just exited a mire of people arguing against Banjo Kazooie/Geno's status of deserving to be in Smash, and I'm just happy that I don't have to defend Ridley and King K. Rool's claim to the game any more.

Banjo and Geno fans must be so tired...
The crap Banjo and Geno have to put up with isn't even comparable to what Ridley went through.

Ridiculous arguments about size, trolls purposely causing strife, Sakurai himself practically throwing the possibility of Ridley ever happening under the bus...TWICE - makes Ridley's inclusion all the sweeter.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
On the other hand, I kinda envy Banjo fans in a way; with the leaks and everything, there's mostly optimism and excitement leading to his presumed reveal, whereas at this time last year prior to E3, it was mostly doom & gloom and doubt for Ridley, as SSB4 made everyone cynical, especially for those who had supported him pre-Brawl too, but with Ultimate being the fanservice game it is compared to its predecessor, it's easier to picture someone like Banjo being in now, apart from the Nintendo and Microsoft friendship.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Thoughts? Now, I don't have all the same problems with Ridley personally (and not nearly as many), but it's easy to see where he's coming from.

Regarding the part about counter and wing blitz though, that's why you air dodge to get to ledge if you think a swordie or someone is gonna counter your up B direction, as Ridley has a faster window for ledge grab on air dodge than quite a few of the cast. Also, fast falling f-air into jabs can be good for shield pressure/damage, but no denying Ridley could still use more, in addition to the other shortcomings pointed out.

Unfortunate how spot-on Vreyvus' rant is, which makes it all the more demoralizing in the event we never get buffs. I didn't think much of Ridley still getting no changes from update 3.1.0 at first, but then when I saw how some like Ken got super buffed, in addition to how Samus' up smash was "fixed", it sank in and hit me like a truck.

At least the recent advanced guide by SSB ProTips gave me some more newfound confidence in Ridley, as will other such future guides and findings, so it's not all bad, but still, a downer to see that many gripes from a top Ridley player, tho understandably so. A lot of them is why plenty others dropped the character, though the lot of us will still use him regardless because it's Ridley, but some optimism on him again (as far as the meta) would be nice I guess.

Still a solid mid tier whose good in his own niche way IMO (whose placement I can live with), but man some of these shortcomings; it's rough.

Happy almost 1st year anniversary to his Ultimate reveal regardless, a day which changed history. We said we wanted him playable in Smash, we just didn't say how good we wanted him to be. =p Will happily keep maining him even if it sucks waiting for buffs that may never come but eh, there's always others that have it worse.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975

Thoughts? Now, I don't have all the same problems with Ridley personally (and not nearly as many), but it's easy to see where he's coming from.

Regarding the part about counter and wing blitz though, that's why you air dodge to get to ledge if you think a swordie or someone is gonna counter your up B direction, as Ridley has a faster window for ledge grab on air dodge than quite a few of the cast. Also, fast falling f-air into jabs can be good for shield pressure/damage, but no denying Ridley could still use more, in addition to the other shortcomings pointed out.

Unfortunate how spot-on Vreyvus' rant is, which makes it all the more demoralizing in the event we never get buffs. I didn't think much of Ridley still getting no changes from update 3.1.0 at first, but then when I saw how some like Ken got super buffed, in addition to how Samus' up smash was "fixed", it sank in and hit me like a truck.

At least the recent advanced guide by SSB ProTips gave me some more newfound confidence in Ridley, as will other such future guides and findings, so it's not all bad, but still, a downer to see that many gripes from a top Ridley player, tho understandably so. A lot of them is why plenty others dropped the character, though the lot of us will still use him regardless because it's Ridley, but some optimism on him again (as far as the meta) would be nice I guess.

Still a solid mid tier whose good in his own niche way IMO (whose placement I can live with), but man some of these shortcomings; it's rough.

Happy almost 1st year anniversary to his Ultimate reveal regardless, a day which changed history. We said we wanted him playable in Smash, we just didn't say how good we wanted him to be. =p Will happily keep maining him even if it sucks waiting for buffs that may never come but eh, there's always others that have it worse.

I just read it. I don't play Ridley (or Smash) at a very high level. I'm casual, and a lot of my friends I play with are casual as well. Going to weeklies really showed me the level of commitment I'd need to put into Smash in order to compete at the level I see in the competitive scene, and I don't think I have the time to get to that level. I have a job and manage my own video game on Steam, which both consume a ton of my time.

When I do get to play, I've never really felt weak as Ridley when I play with friends of mine, but I've always wondered if we likely don't play at a high enough level for Ridley's weaknesses to start really being exposed and exploited.

What has got me more demoralized than my personal performance (or lack there-of) with Ridley is the opinion of him and his combat potency by the rest of the Smash community. Seeing Vreyvus post that makes me very sad. Seeing no more matches from Trela makes me sad. Seeing virtually no Ridley presence in major tournaments makes me extremely sad for the character, and that demoralizes me way more than getting beat at a weekly. I hate seeing people abandon him and swap to higher tier characters. I hate seeing people picking up new mains and bench him in the Ridleycord. It made me sad when I heard OverLade say he no longer considered Ridley a solid mid tier, and had lowered his consideration for where he went on the tier list. I hate seeing him in rock-bottom on Eventhub's ranking. I hate that when I beat someone I know, they mutter "How can I be losing to that '**** character?'" under their breath. I felt sorrow while reading that post, and really don't like seeing the character I want to main being considered so low on the totem pole in this game. No matter how much I try to see evidence otherwise, I've come to accept that Ridley is low-tier, and it hurts.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh yeah, I hate being in the Ridleycord because of the all-time low pessimism on his viability and just seeing people drop and bench him there as pointed out. Must have stockholm syndrome or something still being there. IDK, but will be interesting to see how his matchup with Banjo goes I guess if nothing else.

Lower mid tier, low tier, whatever. He needs buffs; out of the Ultimate newcomers, can't help but feel he's kinda been the odd one out with lack of changes/improvements thus far, and it's not gonna get any easier for him as others get major buffs in the next update or the one after that while he remains unchanged.

I need some kind of message of positivity after all this.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I still can't get over the addition of Dark/Evil Ridley in any context.
1560274915612.png

You can fight it, Riddles! Don't let Dharkon force you into villainy!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I still can't get over the addition of Dark/Evil Ridley in any context.
View attachment 227348
You can fight it, Riddles! Don't let Dharkon force you into villainy!
Thanks for pointing that out. It's hilarious how unnecessary that is.

"Yes, my minions! Leave nothing but chaos, death, and destruction in your wake!"

"...Is it Thursday already?"

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I am so happy right now. If someone came up to me five years ago and told me that Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie will be in the same Smash game, I would have thought it would be too good to be true. Plus I also can't believe that it's the one year anniversary of Ridley's confirmation tomorrow. Ridley's confirmation gave me hope in the speculation again. What a feeling...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, Banjo's back air with Kazooie poking is kinda like Ridley's forward air with the tail pokes. I like. Maybe there’s other move similarities?

This will actually be a more interesting matchup than I first thought. Ridley will still have to deal with the egg zoning though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
One year ago:

I still sometimes think to myself how crazy it is that it finally happened, I don't think it'll ever become normal to me that Ridley is in Smash.

Seeing the whole Banjo situation going into E3 and how similar it was to ours a year before really brought me back, my god I was nervous throughout that entire presentation, the relief at the end and seeing how they just absolutely nailed Ridley was something special, as was Sakurai's shoutout to our fanbase.

I know he's not the best character in the game, but I honestly don't give a damn, I've had so much fun playing him since release, I appreciate how they did him so much.

EDIT: Just realized I misshot by a day... oh well, it's the sentiment that counts I suppose.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
One year ago:

I still sometimes think to myself how crazy it is that it finally happened, I don't think it'll ever become normal to me that Ridley is in Smash.

Seeing the whole Banjo situation going into E3 and how similar it was to ours a year before really brought me back, my god I was nervous throughout that entire presentation, the relief at the end and seeing how they just absolutely nailed Ridley was something special, as was Sakurai's shoutout to our fanbase.

I know he's not the best character in the game, but I honestly don't give a damn, I've had so much fun playing him since release, I appreciate how they did him so much.

EDIT: Just realized I misshot by a day... oh well, it's the sentiment that counts I suppose.
It's still insane to me to think that this was just the tip of the iceberg. King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie were on their way, with basically a trio of pipe dream characters of the last 20 years of Smash speculation fulfilled, each one almost seemingly more impossible than the last. Sakurai has given the fanbase so much with this game and I feel like it will never be fully appreciated by the fans.

As someone who was really hopeful with the Banjo leaks, I tried to remind myself of the Ridley situation to remember that it very well could happen.

With Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie in, Smash speculation almost seems pointless, heh.

Firox

Smash Master
It's still insane to me to think that this was just the tip of the iceberg. King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie were on their way, with basically a trio of pipe dream characters of the last 20 years of Smash speculation fulfilled, each one almost seemingly more impossible than the last. Sakurai has given the fanbase so much with this game and I feel like it will never be fully appreciated by the fans.

As someone who was really hopeful with the Banjo leaks, I tried to remind myself of the Ridley situation to remember that it very well could happen.

With Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie in, Smash speculation almost seems pointless, heh.
This is why Geno fans actually have more hope than ever before. After seeing the impossible become possible, not once, but thrice (possibly even more if you consider Cloud and Bayonetta), you really have to conclude that it's anybody's game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I want an Omega Ridley alt custom.

The model is totally similar to his Smash Ultimate model so its easier to implant.

Top Bottom