• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I know I vent a lot but geez i have never been more frustrated at a game in my life, to play a character for so long but still being bad is nuts like i am destined to be stuck at the kid level. I got up to 2,5 ( now back down to 1.3) but even 3 million is to high to reach apparently. I do have Asperger which could play a part i geuss, I don't expect to be the best I just like to be good enough to be a challenge at a local tourney in the state.

ppl say tilt attack are good but I can not seem to grasp them fully, I got them assigned to my c stick but when I try to use them they don't seem that effective. Nair though is pretty good. also someone mentioned getting kills from rush and I like some advise how because unless there at a ridiculas amount of health it seems to never kill just though them off the stage?

p.s why does everyone choose cloud it seems 75 percent of today opponents was him or young link

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I know I vent a lot but geez i have never been more frustrated at a game in my life, to play a character for so long but still being bad is nuts like i am destined to be stuck at the kid level. I got up to 2,5 ( now back down to 1.3) but even 3 million is to high to reach apparently. I do have Asperger which could play a part i geuss, I don't expect to be the best I just like to be good enough to be a challenge at a local tourney in the state.

ppl say tilt attack are good but I can not seem to grasp them fully, I got them assigned to my c stick but when I try to use them they don't seem that effective. Nair though is pretty good. also someone mentioned getting kills from rush and I like some advise how because unless there at a ridiculas amount of health it seems to never kill just though them off the stage?

p.s why does everyone choose cloud it seems 75 percent of today opponents was him or young link
Allright: tilts have very specific means.
Down-tilt can start combos (so be prepared to fair or nair immediately after hitting it)
F-tilt is Just a faster way to get people off you and can help with edgeguarding.
Up-tilt Comes out really fast so it works well as an anti air (also combo's into itself pretty decently)
Rush kills at really high percents but is considered a good killmove because at those high percents, people play more defensively and don't expect a grab

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975

Cloud is a very popular swordfighter. He's high tier and was extremely high tier in SSB4. His recovery, though, is very bad. Sometimes all it takes is one well-placed forward air to ruin his day off-stage. I find that if Cloud is coming in from below the platform edge, dropping off and hitting him with a forward air often messes his recovery up. Sometimes if you catch him near the edge of the stage at a low percentage, you can also really mess him up by either:

dtilt, short hop forward air, jump, forward / neutral air
dthrow, short hop forward air, jump, forward / neutral air

Sometimes you can even get a second jump / forward air in between as well, or end with a forward air. It all depends on how they're DI'ing and what percent they're actually at, as sometimes if they're a bit higher I can't follow with a second forward air and need to fall a bit and neutral air instead, but a lot of times you can really screw Cloud over by just taking him off the stage. I have a friend that plays Cloud a lot that I've matched against a ton, and these little combos can be brutal to him. Cloud has no counter, so he has a harder time breaking out of combos like these than some of the other swordsmen who can just counter mid combo if you leave a couple frames open, breaking it and causing you to damage yourself instead.

Try doing this to a cloud CPU in training mode first. Be prepared to wing blitz back to safety, preferably backwards, so you get the vertical climb from Ridley's backwards-facing version of the move.

Another main thing with tilts is that smashes are going to be too slow and too punishable to use under most circumstances. Tilts often get used out of necessity, as you won't be able to do a smash since it's too slow.

Edit:

Try this on Cloud too (or others).

Down tilt, and then immediately follow up with either short hop forward air, or short hop neutral air. Often, especially with forward air, they'll land on the ground still hit-stunned. You can then fastfall land, and then immediately hit them again with another down tilt, and then once more with another neutral or forward air.

Most of the time, I'll only neutral air during little combos like these if it looks like my forward air will be out of reach, likely because they're getting to a higher percent and are getting launched just too far for forward air to still hit. Forward air does more damage (I think it's 17), versus neutral air, which does, I think, 9 or 10.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
1. anyone else have there character perform a neutral b when you pushed up b, also my ridley will sometimes shoot the balls in the opposite direction he is facing why?

2. does it sound like the crowd is cheering blah blah blah for cloud or am i crazy lol
I also have this problem sometimes and I don't quite understand it.
I kept B reversing ever so often especially to the right and then I changed my controller. My official, black, Smash Bros brand, gamecube controller isn't performing as it should be.

- -
If you get caught by Ness' PK Fire you can DI up and away from to free yourself. It's a great tool against Ridley but it isn't impossible to deal with. Luckily it does have start up and end lag that can be reacted to. Just gotta keep practicing your reactions against it. Get a friend and have them launch it at you constantly and just experiment against it.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I think I am actually getting worse now down to 300,000 which is on par with the kiddies, should I stop trying I mean if i was going to be any better I be there by now. now i know how yamcha fells :(.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I have a few questions on topics I've been struggling with a bit lately. I'm usually hovering anywhere between 3 to 3.5M in GSP, and have been trying to train up and get into Elite. I have a bunch of real-life friends who have been talking about tournaments lately and I want to participate and get stronger.

1. Is there any advantage to be gained by doing a proper short hop fast fall into various aerials with Ridley, rather than using the macroed jump + immediate attack button to clip the jump and make it a short hop? I was experimenting with proper short hops into aerials last night and I actually felt slower when I discretely short hopped, and then did an aerial and fast falled. I also found it significantly harder on my fingers to perform it rather than the macroed version.

2. How often are you all grabbing during matches? I started noticing last night I almost never grab, maybe 0 to 2 times per match, so I imagine I need to work on using this option more often. After grabs, which throws are you all preferring to use? I almost always down throw or up throw to try and start a combo, and rarely use the other two options. Do you all use forward or back throw frequently?

3. How do you typically follow up after Space Pirate Rush? I find my opponent is typically too high up to make good use of plasma breath, and often an aerial approach will get air dodged, or in some cases, contested by their moveset. I sometimes try to juke them out and get them to waste their dodge. Is it better to release it just before the edge of the platform so you end up in the air as well, or do you prefer letting it run to the edge of the platform entirely.

4. How often do you chase off-stage? I very much enjoy chasing people off the stage and trying to go for back air kicks into the stage while they're recovering, or go for forward / neutral air gimp kills on them. I do wonder, however, if I'm frequently putting myself in a disadvantaged state by chasing off the edge rather than standing back and doing plasma breath / ledge guarding with down smash or other stage-based options instead.

5. I've been trying to improve my combos lately, but I have been struggling to reliably replicate some combos I've seen posted both here and on YouTube. The struggle I'm having is it seems like my opponents frequently break out and hit me back or escape before I can execute the combo. An example of this is downtilt/throw, up air, forward air. A friend of mine plays Krool, and he can counter after my down tilt or down throw, blocking my up tilt. Other characters often can do something else to break it here. Am I just too slow, or is this not a true combo and this is expected behavior. I have similar issues with some of the other combos, such as up throw into up smash, a lot of times players will air dodge or neutral air or do some other action between my up throw and my up smash, even though I'm sure I'm doing it immediately. I can't also always execute the triple forward air chain off-stage. Sometimes players hit me back or escape during it, and other times not. I'm not really sure why, or if it's an input issue on my end or it just isn't truly a solid combo.

I may take a few videos later on of some of my matches as well. I'd definitely appreciate any advice.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
soviet prince soviet prince

The grind is called the grind for a reason. If it's causing you that much stress, maybe a break is for the best. Otherwise you're going to continue to rise/sink higher/lower in the future until you just stop playing. Letting it get to you sucks, it's something not everyone can just deal with. Know that you're not alone, at least.

1. Is there any advantage to be gained by doing a proper short hop fast fall into various aerials with Ridley, rather than using the macroed jump + immediate attack button to clip the jump and make it a short hop? I was experimenting with proper short hops into aerials last night and I actually felt slower when I discretely short hopped, and then did an aerial and fast falled. I also found it significantly harder on my fingers to perform it rather than the macroed version.

2. How often are you all grabbing during matches? I started noticing last night I almost never grab, maybe 0 to 2 times per match, so I imagine I need to work on using this option more often. After grabs, which throws are you all preferring to use? I almost always down throw or up throw to try and start a combo, and rarely use the other two options. Do you all use forward or back throw frequently?

3. How do you typically follow up after Space Pirate Rush? I find my opponent is typically too high up to make good use of plasma breath, and often an aerial approach will get air dodged, or in some cases, contested by their moveset. I sometimes try to juke them out and get them to waste their dodge. Is it better to release it just before the edge of the platform so you end up in the air as well, or do you prefer letting it run to the edge of the platform entirely.

4. How often do you chase off-stage? I very much enjoy chasing people off the stage and trying to go for back air kicks into the stage while they're recovering, or go for forward / neutral air gimp kills on them. I do wonder, however, if I'm frequently putting myself in a disadvantaged state by chasing off the edge rather than standing back and doing plasma breath / ledge guarding with down smash or other stage-based options instead.

5. I've been trying to improve my combos lately, but I have been struggling to reliably replicate some combos I've seen posted both here and on YouTube. The struggle I'm having is it seems like my opponents frequently break out and hit me back or escape before I can execute the combo. An example of this is downtilt/throw, up air, forward air. A friend of mine plays Krool, and he can counter after my down tilt or down throw, blocking my up tilt. Other characters often can do something else to break it here. Am I just too slow, or is this not a true combo and this is expected behavior. I have similar issues with some of the other combos, such as up throw into up smash, a lot of times players will air dodge or neutral air or do some other action between my up throw and my up smash, even though I'm sure I'm doing it immediately. I can't also always execute the triple forward air chain off-stage. Sometimes players hit me back or escape during it, and other times not. I'm not really sure why, or if it's an input issue on my end or it just isn't truly a solid combo.
1. It's largely preference, those that grew up without the macro tend to find it annoying from what I've seen. I prefer to full hop most of the time, which can get turned into a buffered/misinput short hop because of the macro. Slowing things down in training mode helped learn to avoid this as much, but to each their own.

2. I try to play Ridley like a grappler most of the time. Down throw gets the obvious most use, but I like keeping my space with Forward/Back throw, and the extra damage from pummels adds up. Conditioning the opponent to expect grabs also works well for mixing up other options such as jab/a slow side B to bait spotdodge.

3. Jumping from the middle of the stage (stages with platforms especially) with it and following close/harassing with N-air and F-air is usually my preference unless they're at kill percentage. I also try to land the move in the air a lot, which makes most people try riskier options to recover. Magnet hands surprise most players.

4. If not a prime target for plasma breath abuse, then always. Certain recoveries can't be contested as easily, at which point I'll usually try and switch up my game to covering whatever option they choose at the ledge (poking downwards with F-tilt/D-tilt, jumping over get-up-attack with D-smash, or just downward angled Up B).

5. There's no definitive answer without seeing you play. Combos take considerable amounts of time/practice to execute habitually (especially against real players), and even then they're not always guaranteed (training room counter be damned) in most scenarios you'd be using them. Thankfully Ridley isn't too reliant on combo game to begin with, you get much more mileage out of punishing whiffs/trades (Ridley's damage output tends to work out to his favor most of the time).

Constantini

Smash Cadet
Hi, I have come here to brag

I haven't gone any lower than 3.8 mil in something like 3 weeks so my two cents on all this are:
Perfect shielding and being conservative. There's no other way. Swordies, young link and inkling are simply going to bend you over and be your daddies if you try to contest them too hard in the neutral dominance department. Their buttons and frame data are simply superior. Most of them can also short hop nair into jab or grab and you CANNOT contest it. Perfect shielding short hop aerials and twitch reacting to tomahawk grabs is essential.
Off stage pressure is great against almost every character but do not go deep against Swordies and wolf. Ridley's hurtbox is so big that wolf can just side B spike you with 0 precision. swordies up B usually f you up.
As for being conservative well, like I said, high tier and top tiers will simply beat you with frame data so you need to dial it down and concentrate on well spaced dtilts and retreating/crossup nairs. It almost boils down to just those moves+jab and side A off of perfect shield.

On a final note, you also have to master reverse jump Bair. At this current GSP range people will rarely fall for your regular smashes and Ridleys only real kill move is Bair. I've won most of my games with a combination of that plus off stage nair to gimp.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
IMG_20190310_145918_512.jpg

Happy We Have To Restrain Ourselves From Killing Mario Day! AKA MAR10 Day.

Since the screen carcass of my laptop broke some days ago, I am unable to do digital art. Which is kind of restraining to me. But, I had to show this one drawing for fun.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
1, what are the situations were tilts are best used?

2. need general tips i have to find out what I am missing ( without all game lingo if possable I do get most of it but I want to be sure of what your saying. sorry not great with the tech stuff)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
View attachment 197405
Happy We Have To Restrain Ourselves From Killing Mario Day! AKA MAR10 Day.

Since the screen carcass of my laptop broke some days ago, I am unable to do digital art. Which is kind of restraining to me. But, I had to show this one drawing for fun.
To Mario, getting his head crushed was the most painful experience of his life. But for Ridley, it was Tuesday.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Ridley was just mad because Samus was hanging out with other people. Think about it for a second.

1. In Super Metro is he kills an entire station of people and ran off with a metroid because they had the gall to speak with Samus.

2. He broke original Canon and stormed down in Samus Returns because some wannabe metroid from above was putting the moves on his victim.

3. Remember those guys in Other M who were hanging out with Samus? Well Ridley didn't take too kindly to that so he ate their faces and tried to chuck one of them into a magma pit.

4. A few Norion Troopers waved to Samus... so Ridley blew them up.

Mario and Megaman had it coming to them.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I think I am actually getting worse now down to 300,000 which is on par with the kiddies, should I stop trying I mean if i was going to be any better I be there by now. now i know how yamcha fells :(.
Add me! 5936-4189-3002

If you are having as much trouble as you say you are then chances are I will beat you majority of the time. Still I can be your sparring partner for a while. Lets play each other and just watch what I do, save a few replays and just look em over ever so often. I can host Arenas and just sit in the spectator stands and watch. We can also set up matches where you just try to match my inputs.

There was another Ridley that just destroyed me a few months ago and he did things that I never considered. When people tell me Ridley's Dair and upB are useless I can only laugh now.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Add me! 5936-4189-3002

If you are having as much trouble as you say you are then chances are I will beat you majority of the time. Still I can be your sparring partner for a while. Lets play each other and just watch what I do, save a few replays and just look em over ever so often. I can host Arenas and just sit in the spectator stands and watch. We can also set up matches where you just try to match my inputs.

There was another Ridley that just destroyed me a few months ago and he did things that I never considered. When people tell me Ridley's Dair and upB are useless I can only laugh now.
I try to asap, but that leads me to another thing, can you contact your friends at all and if not whats the point of a friend system?

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Add me! 5936-4189-3002

Wing Blitz is good, first time I’ve heard someone say that about up B. How/when do you use d-air though, out of curiosity? As a mixup? It’s been a red flag for me and most with how punishable it tends to be along with downward Wing Blitz just being easier to spike with, but if you’ve found a decent use for d-air, then maybe I’m missing something..

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Dair by the ledge can be a decent mix-up against opponents that are recovering vertically. If you do a full hop, you can do a dair off the stage at the top of your jump to hit the opponent and still recover with your two jumps + up-B. Ridley already has a lot of great off-stage options but if you see the opponent start to predict you going for plasma breath or nair, doing a dair when they're not prepared for it can seal a kill if it stage-spikes or knocks them off the side of the screen.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I've recently learned (and perhaps it's been brought up already and I'm just clueless) about the music box in Ridley's Ultimate theme and the possible justification for it. Music boxes are associated with children, and Samus was a child when she and Ridley first "met" (aka her whole colony was annihilated). Of course it could just be that it adds a layer of creepiness, but either way it's a neat touch.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I try to asap, but that leads me to another thing, can you contact your friends at all and if not whats the point of a friend system?
Nope you can't contact nobody about nuthin' and it burns me up! Still we can check here or some discord to see what the other person is up to and just coordinate. Also I often open Friends Only Arenas just to see who would participate. More often than not no one joins in. I'm online playing check ever so often your friends arenas. If I see you online I will try to make an effort to hold an Arena and name it after you just to get your attention.

Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime yeah like Hippopatasu said Dair off stage can be an absolutely wonderful tool. Fire Emblem swords men who know how to counter will be tough to get but other than that it's an amazing way to intercept people trying to get back onto the stage.

The move is extremely fast as Ridley swoops down like a falcon so it's not difficult to time at all. If they get hit at the beginning it will be a typical meteor Smash but most opponents will be hit deep and Ridley can just fly back up. Both Pokemon Stadiums and both Animal Crossing stages must use 2 full jumps before diving down, then one jump on the way up and then up-B. The blast zone is too high with one jump or a short hop, Ridley will kill himself. Final Destination and Battle Field and a few other legal stages just need one full jump off the stage and 2 jumps back up to survive.

If you space pirate rush someone jump before Ridley automatically tosses them over the edge. That jump is higher than a normal jump and get ready for the off stage down air. It's like Ridley is capable of full flight.

You will kill yourself ever so often so get used to the timing of it. [

And Soviet, slow growth is not the same as no growth.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
IMG_20190312_231846_291.jpg

:) Just a doodle of my favorite mains. Mained Fal since Melee, mained MK since Kirby Air Ride, I mean Brawl and obviously, Rids is the dream come true that I got to try out very little by chance, but I really want to have more time using him. Someday.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Nope you can't contact nobody about nuthin' and it burns me up! Still we can check here or some discord to see what the other person is up to and just coordinate. Also I often open Friends Only Arenas just to see who would participate. More often than not no one joins in. I'm online playing check ever so often your friends arenas. If I see you online I will try to make an effort to hold an Arena and name it after you just to get your attention.

Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime yeah like Hippopatasu said Dair off stage can be an absolutely wonderful tool. Fire Emblem swords men who know how to counter will be tough to get but other than that it's an amazing way to intercept people trying to get back onto the stage.

The move is extremely fast as Ridley swoops down like a falcon so it's not difficult to time at all. If they get hit at the beginning it will be a typical meteor Smash but most opponents will be hit deep and Ridley can just fly back up. Both Pokemon Stadiums and both Animal Crossing stages must use 2 full jumps before diving down, then one jump on the way up and then up-B. The blast zone is too high with one jump or a short hop, Ridley will kill himself. Final Destination and Battle Field and a few other legal stages just need one full jump off the stage and 2 jumps back up to survive.

If you space pirate rush someone jump before Ridley automatically tosses them over the edge. That jump is higher than a normal jump and get ready for the off stage down air. It's like Ridley is capable of full flight.

You will kill yourself ever so often so get used to the timing of it. [

And Soviet, slow growth is not the same as no growth.
thanks appreciate the kind replys instead of the git gud comments lol, Nintendo needs to get with the time if i am not mistaken could you not chat with friends on the wii u and 3ds if so why the step back?

Also hate the buffer system in this game, it has killed me more then once

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Update on the wavebouncing stuff... After learning more other techniques and then using turnaround B’s more in conjunction with B-reversing, wavebouncing became surprisingly easy to grasp. Guess it was one of those things where I just wasn’t in the right mindset when trying to learn it the first time and made it more complicated than it needed to be, but in the case of Ridley, I love aerial B-reversing/turnaround B with charged plasma breath. Can wavebounce it on the ground easily as well at times.

Grounded or aerial turnaround/B-reverse/wavebounce skewers can be nice too when I don’t accidentally input space pirate rush when attempting it, but suppose that’ll take more practice somewhere down the line.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Update on the wavebouncing stuff... After learning more other techniques and then using turnaround B’s more in conjunction with B-reversing, wavebouncing became surprisingly easy to grasp. Guess it was one of those things where I just wasn’t in the right mindset when trying to learn it the first time and made it more complicated than it needed to be, but in the case of Ridley, I love aerial B-reversing/turnaround B with charged plasma breath. Can wavebounce it on the ground easily as well at times.

Grounded or aerial turnaround/B-reverse/wavebounce skewers can be nice too when I don’t accidentally input space pirate rush when attempting it, but suppose that’ll take more practice somewhere down the line.
How do you b reverse a skewer? I wasn't aware you could do this.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
How do you b reverse a skewer? I wasn't aware you could do this.
Same way you B reverse a fireball. Down B and then immediately turn the other direction. Works while in the air too (preferably done when landing to catch the opponent off guard). Problem is if you mis-input like pressing to turn the other direction too soon while pressing B you’ll end up using space pirate rush instead, but turnaround skewer can be done. Just takes timing and practice.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
well made it all the way to 2.7 mil but of course back down to 290,000, so apparently my hundreds of hours of exp is on the level of people just picking up the game. i actually think i am getting worse.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
well made it all the way to 2.7 mil but of course back down to 290,000, so apparently my hundreds of hours of exp is on the level of people just picking up the game. i actually think i am getting worse.
My Guy I'm curious how you play. Are you available at around 17:00 GMT?

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
If you made it all the way up to 2.7M, and then all the way back down to 290,000, I'm wondering if you're going on really bad loss streaks because of frustration. You may want to try taking a break when you start getting annoyed with the game or frustrated with your GSP going down a lot.

I know that when I play, if I start getting frustrated it makes me play a lot worse, which ultimately makes me get even more frustrated.

Is this happening to you too?

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
If you made it all the way up to 2.7M, and then all the way back down to 290,000, I'm wondering if you're going on really bad loss streaks because of frustration. You may want to try taking a break when you start getting annoyed with the game or frustrated with your GSP going down a lot.

I know that when I play, regardless of who I'm playing with (online or with people irl), the second I start getting frustrated or angry I start playing worse and worse, which ultimately makes me get more frustrated and more angry since I do even worse, which makes me do even worse, until I'm doing really bad in a reinforcing spiral.

My strategy for this is really stupid.

My mains are :ultridley:and:ultivysaur: which I have around 3,8 mil. Whenever I lose 2 matches in a row, I force myself to switch to one of my secondaries :ultyounglink::ultpiranha::ultdarksamus::ultwolf:or :ultgreninja:which sit at 2,5 mil where I can casually play a few rounds untill my mind is clear again.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
My strategy for this is really stupid.

My mains are :ultridley:and:ultivysaur: which I have around 3,8 mil. Whenever I lose 2 matches in a row, I force myself to switch to one of my secondaries :ultyounglink::ultpiranha::ultdarksamus::ultwolf:or :ultgreninja:which sit at 2,5 mil where I can casually play a few rounds untill my mind is clear again.
I've thought about giving myself an ultimatum as well where I force myself to play an alt character for a while or take a break. It's a good idea. Sometimes though I'm fighting someone really strong that I'm not getting frustrated with, that I really want to figure out. I've fought people before where it took me a few matches, but I ultimately started beating them, so for me it's more about attitude than pure loss count.

I'm actually at right around the same GSP as you! I have had several sessions where I'll get frustrated and tank way down into the 2M's somewhere, and then usually end up grinding back up the next time I play. Gotta start listening to the frustration and stepping back for a bit.

You wanna add my friend code and play some games tonight? We'd probably be a pretty even match.

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I've thought about giving myself an ultimatum as well where I force myself to play an alt character for a while or take a break. It's a good idea. Sometimes though I'm fighting someone really strong that I'm not getting frustrated with, that I really want to figure out. I've fought people before where it took me a few matches, but I ultimately started beating them, so for me it's more about attitude than pure loss count.

I'm actually at right around the same GSP as you! I have had several sessions where I'll get frustrated and tank way down into the 2M's somewhere, and then usually end up grinding back up the next time I play. Gotta start listening to the frustration and stepping back for a bit.

You wanna add my friend code and play some games tonight? We'd probably be a pretty even match.
Sounds fun!
My FC should be on my profile, I don't know it by heart.
Quick side-question, what is "tonight" for your timezone?

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Sounds fun!
My FC should be on my profile, I don't know it by heart.
Quick side-question, what is "tonight" for your timezone?
Mine is: SW-5219-6817-7975

I'm Eastern (Raleigh, NC), and usually get off work around 4 - 6 PM, depending on the day. I usually use Discord a whole lot for socializing online. Do you use it as well? My tag is Predatoria#0571 on there.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Mine is: SW-5219-6817-7975

I'm Eastern (Raleigh, NC), and usually get off work around 4 - 6 PM, depending on the day. I usually use Discord a whole lot for socializing online. Do you use it as well? My tag is Predatoria#0571 on there.
I'm Triceracop#7536 but I barely use it

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Same way you B reverse a fireball. Down B and then immediately turn the other direction. Works while in the air too (preferably done when landing to catch the opponent off guard). Problem is if you mis-input like pressing to turn the other direction too soon while pressing B you’ll end up using space pirate rush instead, but turnaround skewer can be done. Just takes timing and practice.
I just got home and experimented a bit with this in training mode and found something quite cool about b reversing skewer.

With the gamecube controller, if you use the bottomleft and bottom right octagonal notches and hold the joystick there while pressing B, it will automatically register as a down B facing that direction. It makes b reversing skewer a lot easier to pull off than doing a direct down B and then quickly pointing the analog stick left or right.

I don't use the Pro controller, but I imagine it'd work similarly on it.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I just got home and experimented a bit with this in training mode and found something quite cool about b reversing skewer.

With the gamecube controller, if you use the bottomleft and bottom right octagonal notches and hold the joystick there while pressing B, it will automatically register as a down B facing that direction. It makes b reversing skewer a lot easier to pull off than doing a direct down B and then quickly pointing the analog stick left or right.

I don't use the Pro controller, but I imagine it'd work similarly on it.
Oh yeah, forgot about the diagonal bottom left/bottom right method, which works even just using the regular Switch controller. Knew I was forgetting something...

When trying to use it in the air while landing, I find I'll accidentally input space pirate rush more often than the other method, but guess it's an easier alternative for me to use while on the ground at least. I wonder how much changing the stick sensitivity (under control options) helps with this sort of stuff, though I have it on normal.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Oh yeah, forgot about the diagonal bottom left/bottom right method, which works even just using the regular Switch controller. Knew I was forgetting something...

When trying to use it in the air while landing, I find I'll accidentally input space pirate rush more often than the other method, but guess it's an easier alternative for me to use while on the ground at least. I wonder how much changing the stick sensitivity (under control options) helps with this sort of stuff, though I have it on normal.
I left mine on normal too. I tried it both ways when I was trying to get my tilts down a month or so ago, while swapping my C stick between tilts and smashes as well.

I play with tilt stick but usually do up and down tilts off the analog stick and A button instead, so normal is a compromise between easier smashes and more forgiving up and down tilts.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

I know that when I play, if I start getting frustrated it makes me play a lot worse, which ultimately makes me get even more frustrated.

Maybe, what really grinds my gears is when ppl use mario 2 stage and take advantage of the sides or like yesterday I was dominating a young link pretty well then all of a sudden comes a smash ball and turns the game around I call BS

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Maybe, what really grinds my gears is when ppl use mario 2 stage and take advantage of the sides or like yesterday I was dominating a young link pretty well then all of a sudden comes a smash ball and turns the game around I call BS
Oooooohhhh
You play with weird rules.

Try setting preferred rules to no items and BF/FD only.
People always nag that it doesn't work but I get to play with my preferred rules 90% of the time.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Are you, by chance, queuing with Quickplay? If so, that may be a major part of the issue here.

Many friends I've talked to have ranted about how awful this game's online matchmaking is, and complain that they always get bad rulesets or get thrown into FFAs or other annoyance. I then asked them if they were queuing by Quickplay, or by Ranked Matchmaking. Every person I've spoken to that has complained about these aspects of online has queued with Quickplay.

If so, you really need to start queuing through Ranked Matchmaking. I get my desired ruleset, same as Ultomato, around 90% of the time. Even when I don't, it's usually something fairly benign and tolerable like 2 stock instead of 3, less time, or an occasional round on a standard map. I've never, ever gotten into a FFA or teams match queuing ranked 1v1s.

There have been a couple times where the smash ball has shown up. Ridley, however, is excellent at getting these due to his huge aerial hitboxes and extra jump, and more often than not it just helps me close out a stock than anything else. He also has a relatively strong final smash, granting a guaranteed kill at 42+% and an easy to land hitbox that sweeps horizontally across the entire stage.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Are you, by chance, queuing with Quickplay? If so, that may be a major part of the issue here.

Many friends I've talked to have ranted about how awful this game's online matchmaking is, and complain that they always get bad rulesets or get thrown into FFAs or other annoyance. I then asked them if they were queuing by Quickplay, or by Ranked Matchmaking. Every person I've spoken to that has complained about these aspects of online has queued with Quickplay.

If so, you really need to start queuing through Ranked Matchmaking. I get my desired ruleset, same as Ultomato, around 90% of the time. Even when I don't, it's usually something fairly benign and tolerable like 2 stock instead of 3, less time, or an occasional round on a standard map. I've never, ever gotten into a FFA or teams match queuing ranked 1v1s.

There have been a couple times where the smash ball has shown up. Ridley, however, is excellent at getting these due to his huge aerial hitboxes and extra jump, and more often than not it just helps me close out a stock than anything else. He also has a relatively strong final smash, granting a guaranteed kill at 42+% and an easy to land hitbox that sweeps horizontally across the entire stage.
Just so we're clear, everything that isn't arenas is Quickplay. There you can either search with or without preferences to ruleset. Getting wildly different conditions at this point (Ultimate at launch apparently really was bad at matching preferences but it works well enough now) means either a) you forgot to save or activate those preferences, or b) your ruleset is just really unpopular and difficult to find. This seems to be the case for those seeking doubles, probably because nobody takes team attack off seriously. But then, you can just use arenas to host more niche rulesets.

These complaints about Quickplay are going nowhere because they're largely based on what each individual thinks online play should be like, which varies wildly, and they tend to ignore arenas too. That has more legitimate grievances with randoms, but they can be fixed. But most people don't seem to care and just want their favourite modes spoon-fed to them. They'll spend all day arguing the semantics of GSP and apparent mismatches there without ever considering how the actual match played, never consider that being stuck in lower GSPs is due to them lacking skill (blaming bad rulesets only goes so far now), and connection errors that give them warnings/bans are never their fault. No evidence either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom