• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ayyye.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
First of all TAC isn't s a black guy, TAC is very clearly a typical Japanese thief with the black clothes, similar to what inspired Alolan Rattata. You can even see TAC's skin colour. I don't even believe TAC's spirit was meant to be this as we have proof the nonblack skins weren't planned until so late in development it was after E3 2018

Second, congratulations, you will now be seen as racist for going "ARE YOU SAYING IT'S OK TO TREAT WHITE PEOPLE LIKE THIS?" after saying "THERE IS NOTHING RACIST OR OFFENSIVE ABOUT CALLING BLACK PEOPLE MONKEYS OR APES".

Third, you're clearly a ****ing idiot if you believe people aren't going through any hardships based on discrimination these days. Bye bye, you've proven you're racist and not worth my time
EDIT: The least I can do is show a typical Japanese thief

HMMMM I WONDER WHAT TAC IS BASED ON

first off I did not say it's okay to call black ppl apes I said there is nothing wrong with the spirit battle in question because it's obv not doing that. and I believe the ppl who are complaing know that.

second: I did not say NO ONE is going threw hardships of some kind it's present in all races, I saying it's not as widespread epidemic as the community makes it out to be. I go out in public almost everyday at many different locations and places and mostly everyone get's along just fine and keeps there racist thought if any to them selves, if I seen any discrimination it's not even about race it's about the amount of money you have.

The majority of people are not racist and are good people it's just the bad ones scream the loudest. yes people are having hardship the news shows it all the time, they just don't show enough if the good side of mankind then they need to.

also calling me name's is not helping your case any

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
What the hell is going on in this thread

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
What the hell is going on in this thread
My thoughts exactly.

I finally got started with the World of Light and I find it enjoyable so far. I put over 4 hours into it and still lots to do. Plus I also got up to 9.9 intensity on Classic with the Ice Climbers. I was so nervous when fighting the hands hoping I wouldn't mess up and then I was ecstatic when I completed it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As soon as I unlocked him, Ridley was my first character taken online. Capped off my admittedly brief session by dunking Richter into the ice cold sea of hazardless Summit.

Charu

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, just wanted to share a clip of something I did. Apparently if you time it just right, you can counter a Kirby Up Special with the gimmick of all gimmicks. Granted you space it right and everything, which is easier said than done!

Also, I don't know what's going on in this thread at the moment, but this thread has a lot of wholesome Ridley content that I adore. Been lurking here for a bit, so thanks for sharing all these wholesome images I didn't think I ever see Ridley be a part of.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Got Ultimate two days ago and unlocked Ridley today. I'm honestly surprised how much I enjoy playing as him. I've never been too into playing big, heavy fighters (Samus + Marth main here) and was mostly expecting to just enjoy the aesthetic of playing as Ridley, rather than his actual playstyle. But, turns out, he's actually really fun. He has some awkward moves (Up-B what tf are you) but as heavyweights go, he's fast and precise enough that I'm finding playing as him very enjoyable. Honestly if it weren't for his size, he wouldn't even feel like a heavyweight to me (and I guess he's technically pretty light, but he's bulky, so yeah) Plus, his Meta Ridley alt looks too beautiful to not play as.

Side note: I have yet to fight Ridley in Classic Mode without him being giant for it. Too big for Smash, get him outta here

Last edited:

Gleam

Smash Ace
Probably because he doesn't really play as a heavy. Ridley's deceptively fast, high priority, some nice combos on a few moves, a solid ground game but a stunning air game that makes him excellent at keeping opponents off stage. He's great at edgeguarding and there's just this huge level of control you have with Ridley especially when it comes to the air and being offensive offstage.

I've said it before but Ridley honestly has the tools of what would make an excellent high tier character. Fast, strong moves, high priority, a surprisingly decent recovery in terms of distance if you know how to properly use it, early combo set ups, a shocking level of durability, a projectile that's great for edgeguarding and the sickest N-air around.

The only problems he has are his easily comboed body and his recovery can be somewhat predictable too. In fact at times Ridley can be as vulnerable when he's taken off stage as opponents are when he takes them off stage an unfortunately, these can pretty big flaws in the long run.

If true heavies like Bowser, Donkey Kong and Ganondorf could be called "tanks" who suck up damage and hit with extreme levels of power while trading in speed as a result (though sometimes you got to question that "slow" part at times) Ridley is a fighter jet, zipping around racking up damage with high speed Fairs and N-airs with precision bullets in the form of his tilts and suppressive firepower of his plasma breath.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
In some ways, as mentioned in other threads, it's better to think of Ridley like a heavy's answer to a sword user then a straightforward heavy like DK or King K. Rool. As mentioned before with those two they don't mind having the opponent in their face as much since they want them close so that they can get in and deal the most damage that they can, and with options like superarmor and powerful grabs they can get that job done. With Ridley, he doesn't have those options and he's more exploitable when he lacks momentum, so he wants to play around the opponent with more precise moves and control the space. With moves like Plasma Breath forcing them to recover high/block, his grab throwing them off the stage, and Dtilt popping them up into the sky he's the type of character who wants the opponent to be exactly in the position he wants them to be so that he can best exploit them. You want the opponent to block since that leaves them vulnerable to his grabs, you want them off the stage since it leaves them easily edgeguarded by his multiple options, he wants you to be in the air since attacks like Uair and Nair can keep them juggled, and so on.

He's someone who can't afford to just absorb attacks, he doesn't have the means to do that and then get out and punish. He wants to play smart and then press his advantage once the opportunity opens up, because when he does he can tear the opponent apart.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I initially dismissed Ridley as a bad character, but the more I play him, the more I like him. His playstyle feels less like a heavy and more like a swordfighter, with giant hitboxes that don't deal big damage, but instead rewards the player for spacing well. I'm especially loving the feel of his F-tilt, which can do so much between killling, covering ledge getup options, 2 framing ledge grabs, anti-airing, etc. His Down-throw is also so good since it can directly combo into a slew of moves like up-tilt and Back Air depending on the character.

The character does have some issues from my experience, like an incredibly exploitable recovery and a bit too much lag on moves like side-B and F-Smash, but I do think the character has potential, espicially when his Up-tilt and down-throw combos are more optimized.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I think the problem with F-Smash is that it's just short, it's surprisingly fast but when you've got to be literally making out with your opponent for it to hit, that causes a lot of issues. Luckily Ridley has a pretty nice Down Smash which, while slightly slower, covers far more distance, covers both sides and simply has more versatility. I have to constantly remind myself not to use F-smash because I want to all the time. It's fast and powerful but I got to tell myself, no. It's just not worth it unless the timing is right.

His playstyle feels less like a heavy and more like a swordfighter, with giant hitboxes that don't deal big damage, but instead rewards the player for spacing well.
This is pretty much what he is along with his ability in gimping and edgeguarding. As long as Ridley excels in these fields, he will never be a bad character. I won't say he'll be a great character, I might even hesitate to even say good character. But he has the tools needed to prevent him from being Bottom.

Honestly, I feel there's about 7-10 characters in the roster Ridley has a solid advantage because its so easy to exploit their offstage gameplay. Ganondorf is such a character, you get this man off stage and chances are, he's not getting back on and of course there's Little Mac which...bless him, they at least did increase his recovery a bit.

And there's probably about 10 or so characters who will hold a solid advantage against Ridley, because for one, it's going to be much harder to gimp their recoveries and they're going to be combo monsters beating down on this poor innocent dragon. It probably won't come as a surprise that Ridley isn't going to be winning too many matches with Zero Suit Samus.

There's a lot of advantages Ridley has, there's disatvantages and it just kind of balances out I think.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm talking less "hey let's give Ridley this backstory about daddy issues" and more just fleshing out his personality as MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees said, so I agree that from a narrative point of view little will change. And yeah, expecting a spinoff starring Ridley is a pipe dream (even if it had amazing potential). After FF Nintendo won't dare try a spinoff until the series firmly reestablishes itself. Which will hopefully be soon with Prime 4.

From a planning point of view I could see Ridley being more important, as in when coming up with the plot they'll be more conscious of implementing him. I think there are justifiable reasons for Ridley's exclusion in RoS, Echoes, Hunters, and FF. I think you could justify most of his inclusions with Fusion being justified in retrospect. I personally don't see Metroid getting spinoffs of any sort for a long time so I doubt a Hunters/FF situation rises again. Of course Prime 4 may be exempt from influence from Ultimate given the development overlap. But in general I agree with you on this one, showing more personality seems like an obvious and simple change.
I won't be surprised if a post-Fusion game finds a way to bring the real Ridley back from the dead again at this rate.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
For me it seems to be the d-smash that I have to remind myself not to use too much due to the startup lag, unless the opponent is a little further away, but with the range it covers on both sides it's reasonable. F-smash and side special I feel I've gotten a good instinct on using at the right time and haven't been punished for using them too often. With how good up-smash is for mixup options (like when Ridley's facing away from the opponent where it'll more likely connect), I've tended to forget about his u-tilt and the combo potential he has with that, but I'm still learning and only recently started playing online with him more seriously. Moments like the clip Charu posted I guess is good reminder too that I should mostly only try Skewer as I'm backing away when the opponent's approaching (combos notwithstanding), rather than getting greedy and trying it the other way around...

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
anybody able to land the crit with his tail on a consistant basis?

also further news on resetera, I apparently got added days to my ban because I contacted the mods to explain (respectfully of course) my view and asking how that broke any rules. Any forum that censors like this is a complete joke it's you agree with the stuff I am selling or your banned.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think F-Smash's endlag is fair enough considering the huge reward that comes with landing it, it's absurd how early it kills, in no way should a move like that be safe to use. Side-B could use a bit less endlag just for recovery's sake, but offensively you should only use it when you can bait out a shield or roll, so if you play it right it shouldn't be a huge issue.

I'm pretty sure Ridley is going to end up as a solid mid tier, which I'd be quite happy with. He's got way too many strengths to be a low tier, a lot of characters just can't deal with how oppressive he can be, but his disadvantage state is so bad that it's hard to see him being a high tier, especially as long as characters like Inkling and Chrom sit at the top.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Tail crit for what move? F-tilt? I have for the most part, but with skewer it seems to depend on how you set it up.

I think F-Smash's endlag is fair enough considering the huge reward that comes with landing it, it's absurd how early it kills, in no way should a move like that be safe to use. Side-B could use a bit less endlag just for recovery's sake, but offensively you should only use it when you can bait out a shield or roll, so if you play it right it shouldn't be a huge issue.

I'm pretty sure Ridley is going to end up as a solid mid tier, which I'd be quite happy with. He's got way too many strengths to be a low tier, a lot of characters just can't deal with how oppressive he can be, but his disadvantage state is so bad that it's hard to see him being a high tier, especially as long as characters like Inkling and Chrom sit at the top.
Well apart from tiers, there's character matchups to consider too, especially for a roster of Smash Ultimate's size. Has been established that Ridley's fireball edgeguarding and such devours Chrom's recovery for instance, making Rid a potentially good matchup against him, though Inklings he'll definitely have a tougher time against. Those that are all about zoning like the Belmonts will be his worst matchups by far though I think regardless of tier, but with those whom he has a good matchup advantage against on the flipside, he's a pretty well balanced character and happy with where he seems to be placed now too.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I've landed a grand total of four Skewers. Three were just luck in 4+ person battles, but the last one was totally intentional in a 1v1. Felt really good and certainly racked up a lot of damage, but not all that viable as a consistent source of damage. It seems like it should be pretty good for edge reading though, if you can set up the range just right.

StormC

Smash Hero
I started to ladder up with Ridley and I'm at 2.3M GSP. What are his best kill moves? What's the move I need to bust out when the enemy is at 120% or more and I need that SOB dead fast?

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So uh, seems like people are starting to figure out that Ridley is indeed A GOD OF DEATH:

Figured to share this.

Also to throw this out there, I had Ultimate since a couple of days after release and the game is incredible. Playing as Ridley indeed feels like a dream and just FEELS amazing. The sound effects, mannerisms, moves, style, etc. It feels like we are him. And I love that.

People have shared their thoughts on it with literally a lot of thoughts into them. I would do so too but sadly can't do so from my Wii-U pad to put out a lot of text since it may take a lot of time, hehe.

Overall, I am really happy that he is a REALITY in Smash and that he is part of not only a series that a lot of people know but is also back into the conciousness of videogame players in such way.

ALL HAIL LORD RIDLEY.

:ultridley:.

:bowser:.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I started to ladder up with Ridley and I'm at 2.3M GSP. What are his best kill moves? What's the move I need to bust out when the enemy is at 120% or more and I need that SOB dead fast?
Fsmash is pretty quick and strong, up smash is good if your opponent tries to attack you from above or is on a platform above you, Back air is strong and has a massive ass hitbox and tipper Ftilt is pretty good too

Gleam

Smash Ace
The worst matchup for me would have to be Ness and Lucas. PK Fire is nearly impossible to avoid thanks to Ridley's large frame, racks up huge amount of damage through multiple combinations and provides excellent spacing for the two that Ridley is forced to go through it seems. I've even been comboed into throws out of PK fire which I don't know if those are true combos or I just suck at DI but damn. You can't force them to approach because your projectile can be absorbed. PK Thunder is, pun not intended, shockingly good at gimping Ridley's huge body and I swear they're moves hold both range and priority over your own.

At least with the Belmonts, you can provide a bit of your own spacing and have a projectile that can at least force them to approach at times. You can at least do something about their poo recovery. I find trying to gimp Lucas or Ness a nightmare at times and that's if I can get them offstage. I feel nearly everything that Ridley excels at was meant to be countered by those two kids.

I don't know which of Lucas or Ness' parents Ridley killed that got them so ticked of at the dragon but they want blood. If you guys know something I don't, please, provide some insight.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So uh, seems like people are starting to figure out that Ridley is indeed A GOD OF DEATH:

Figured to share this.

Also to throw this out there, I had Ultimate since a couple of days after release and the game is incredible. Playing as Ridley indeed feels like a dream and just FEELS amazing. The sound effects, mannerisms, moves, style, etc. It feels like we are him. And I love that.

People have shared their thoughts on it with literally a lot of thoughts into them. I would do so too but sadly can't do so from my Wii-U pad to put out a lot of text since it may take a lot of time, hehe.

Overall, I am really happy that he is a REALITY in Smash and that he is part of not only a series that a lot of people know but is also back into the conciousness of videogame players in such way.

ALL HAIL LORD RIDLEY.

:ultridley:.

:bowser:.
HOLY **** SKEWER-SKEWER IS THE SICKEST ****ING 2 HIT COMBO I HAVE SEEN

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Aside from what Gwen already said, there’s short-hop n-air into dash attack.

So glad now my years of practicing shorthopping aerial combos/killers with others like Ganondorf can now be applied to Ridley, though for the moment it’s just a matter of getting in the habit of applying said techs in my playstyle during a real fight, but still.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
New Years Eve.png

"For another year of supporting each other throughout this ordeal full of bull**** that we call Life! Cheers!" *Both wrap their tails around the glass of wine and ring it with the tip*

"YAAAAAY~! Can I have a little bit, Big Bro?"

"Just a taste, Silly One."

*Roidley takes a little sip from the glass*

"Ooohhh...this water tastes funny!...I feel funny!"

"That's because it is NOT water, you dufus. It's wine, in other words, alcohol."

"*Hic!* Hehe~! It makes me *HIC!* jumpy! Hehehe~!"

"Never change, silly goose, never change."

"*HIC!* Love ya' Big Bro~!"

"...Love you too, you hopeless dork."

:D Well, just like before, a quick doodle! :3 I hope everyone has a great New Year's Eve this December 31st and January 1st, acompanied by your family and friends! Time indeed goes flying! But it left great moments and memories to us.

xD Oh, and how could have I forget? This year gave us Ridley in Smash! \m/

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
what is you yalls online record with ridley, so far I lose more then I win :(. I put up a fight but seems like he does not finish the race. maybe I just sux

also was ridley fighting a extra small pichu in one of the spirit board events, down to the last one and I swear pichu said holy **** :p

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I've gotten into Elite Smash twice with Ridley, though gonna wait till I learn more character matchup strats and such before I touch Elite with him again and for now just gonna try to get some of my other characters' GSP up more, but otherwise I've been mostly winning with him online as far as randoms. Against friends online it was a mixed bag initially, but have learned with him more since then.

You may just need to up your game and learn more with him. Look up his combos, techs, and such, and put them into practice.

Gleam

Smash Ace
My online plays are usually average and it really just depends on who I'm facing. Anyone who is heavy at combos is going to give Ridley a hard time and that's especially true if they have a good recovery that really helps to negate your edgeguarding. Nearly all my kills are usually done by getting a good Nair, Fairs or some nice fireballs offstage. I'd honestly say 80% of my kills are done this way with the rest being a combination of well timed Smashes.

Honestly my biggest problem is that I'm just too aggressive and don't play smart. I know combos but I don't have the mindset to use them and more often than not 20% of my deaths just come from making a stupid mistake. My battles with King K. Rool express this perfectly. It's honestly not that hard a match and some may argue its even in Ridley's favor. Up-B literally eats Blunderbuss for lunch and fireballs are nearly as well as forcing him to approach you as his Side-B.

But for me, I'm a crazy person who can't just slightly push the analog stick, I got to dash at full speed trying to land every damn dash attack I can while trying to get every Side-B off I can. So it's easy to understand how K. Rool punishes me a lot due to my negligence. I'm simply not an elite smasher. I can get data, utilize it in a select setting and build up on the things that make Ridley good.

But it's the people who know how to handle the aspects of an actual battle who will be able to properly use those techniques.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Happy new year.

RIDLEES_NEW_YEAR.png

Not sure who made that, but thanks whoever did.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
The worst matchup for me would have to be Ness and Lucas. PK Fire is nearly impossible to avoid thanks to Ridley's large frame, racks up huge amount of damage through multiple combinations and provides excellent spacing for the two that Ridley is forced to go through it seems. I've even been comboed into throws out of PK fire which I don't know if those are true combos or I just suck at DI but damn. You can't force them to approach because your projectile can be absorbed. PK Thunder is, pun not intended, shockingly good at gimping Ridley's huge body and I swear they're moves hold both range and priority over your own.

At least with the Belmonts, you can provide a bit of your own spacing and have a projectile that can at least force them to approach at times. You can at least do something about their poo recovery. I find trying to gimp Lucas or Ness a nightmare at times and that's if I can get them offstage. I feel nearly everything that Ridley excels at was meant to be countered by those two kids.

I don't know which of Lucas or Ness' parents Ridley killed that got them so ticked of at the dragon but they want blood. If you guys know something I don't, please, provide some insight.
On Wii U I used to play a guy who went by Shamrock. He was an insane Ness and Lucas mainer. He was pretty high on Anthers ladder as well. After dealing with that nightmare for so long with DK and Bowser I feel the matchup in Ultimate using Ridley is pretty doable.

With PK fire you can DI out of it so it isn't an auto Side Smash for them but when I know they are PK Fire happy I try to capitalize on it. Ridley can just hop above the fire and rush in for the Side-B. There is just enough cool down for them to get easily caught especially if you anticipate their habits. For PK thunder especially far away mid air I feel the best bet is to time those Nair's just right.

D

Deleted member

I am close to the final fight with Ridley in Super Metroid.

I just need to defeat the Maridia boss.

AndreaAC

mornin2.png

xD A continuation for the New Year's Eve drawing. And the very first one I do in 2019. Roidley got way too curious about imitating what Ridley did after the toast that he woke up like that, and he didn't even drink that much, but he's an adorkable novice.

Last edited:

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
I randomly got into an Elite Smash match with Mew2king today and got pretty psyched! How'd I do? :p

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
View attachment 185116
xD A continuation for the New Year's Eve drawing. And the very first one I do in 2019. Roidley got way too curious about imitating what Ridley did after the toast that he woke up like that, and he didn't even drink that much, but he's an adorkable novice.
Happy New Year to everyone! Oh that Roidley. That first hangover really affects you know matter what. Your Ridley/Roidley drawings are the best Andrea.
I randomly got into an Elite Smash match with Mew2king today and got pretty psyched! How'd I do? :p

Damn that was exceptional! You really did well against a pro player. Nice to see the pros get beat once in a while.

I made really big progress in the World of Light, but I am still trying to find K. Rool and Ridley in there. It'll be a matter of time.

AndreaAC

Happy New Year to everyone!
x3 Thank you, my friend!

Oh that Roidley. That first hangover really affects you know matter what. Your Ridley/Roidley drawings are the best Andrea.
xD Roidley learned that the hard way! And this would happen after he "sneakely" tried to drink more than he was allowed to (the little sip he took from the glass) trying to imitate his Big Bro. Of course, Ridley would notice this but didn't say anything just so he learned a lesson later in the day!

x3 Awww, thank you yet again! :> It makes me really happy to know that you enjoy them! xD I have countless fun coming up with them, always!

Top Bottom