• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Here's footage of the revamped Ridley Robot skin, even though it's not direct feed footage it still looks great.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I didn't realize this before but they apparently changed Ridley's victory theme between the E3 demo and the final build.

Comparing the two themes, the new version of the victory theme is now in major key and has replaced the unknown item acquisition theme with a Metroid Prime choir at the end.

Personally speaking, I prefer the E3 demo version. I think it's more fitting for a villainous character like Ridley to have such an eerie and foreboding theme commemorate his win.
Hmm, I can think if three possibilities.

One. The theme orginally given to Ridley was actually reserved for Dark Samus.

Two. Bear with me. Maybe it's the victory theme exclusively for Meta Ridley for whatever reason (maybe hinting at Metroid Prime 4), and Ridley still keeps the original victory theme in his original form.

Or three. Maybe some characters have multiple victory themes in this game?

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Here's footage of the revamped Ridley Robot skin, even though it's not direct feed footage it still looks great.
In all honesty, I really wished they kept the ordinary Ridley's Robot Ridley Alt in since I just really love Ridley's Ultimate Design awhole lot more than his Meta Design. However, since all characters are limited to only having 8 Alts/skins, it does make complete sense for the Robot Ridley Alt to be an Meta Alt instead of being one for both.

Hmm, I can think if three possibilities.

One. The theme originally given to Ridley was actually reserved for Dark Samus.

Two. Bear with me. Maybe it's the victory theme exclusively for Meta Ridley for whatever reason (maybe hinting at Metroid Prime 4), and Ridley still keeps the original victory theme in his original form.

Or three. Maybe some characters have multiple victory themes in this game?
#1 - Feel like it be better for it to be the reverse instead.

#2 - I originally thought that aswell but to make sure, I went to check any recent videos of just ordinary Ridley winning &, sadly, that turned out to not be the case. If you want to see for yourself, here's the video Arcanir shared earlier on -

#3 - I so want that to be the case, it was just a fitting Victory Theme that it's just upsetting if it just goes unused. I don't care if we have to buy it from the in-game Shop, I just want it SO :sadeyes:BADLY:sadeyes:!!!!!

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The gif version.

In hindsight this clash was cooler than it had business being, but if you still go by the Metroid and Kid Icarus sibling thing, then it fits, along with some nice angel vs demon symbolism I guess.

StormC

Smash Hero
I got legit chills from the Pit/Ridley clash.

As for K. Rool... hey, at least he's there!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
View attachment 177269

There's the money shot.

Meanwhile poor K.rool.png is just hovering in the background.
Now, he could just bite or flame Pit in the face here, but I think he's trying to get a message across about how puny Pit is by contesting him in a feat of strength. And gripping that bladed bow like that... this is aguy who is just no longer afraid of getting hurt.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I've seen people on FB say that Pit is able to handle Ridley and I'm just like: "It does not seem like in that clash that Ridley is in trouble. On the contrary, he seems amused of the struggle and even enjoying the ride..." He is that sadistic to make it seem like there's hope and then swoop in to crush it.

:bowser:.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've seen people on FB say that Pit is able to handle Ridley and I'm just like: "It does not seem like in that clash that Ridley is in trouble. On the contrary, he seems amused of the struggle and even enjoying the ride..." He is that sadistic to make it seem like there's hope and then swoop in to crush it.

Remember, Palutena's the whole reason he's even able to push Ridley around like that in flight, via sheer velocity... I get the feeling overpowering Pit would be even more effortless if it weren't for that.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
The gif version.

In hindsight this clash was cooler than it had business being, but if you still go by the Metroid and Kid Icarus sibling thing, then it fits, along with some nice angel vs demon symbolism I guess.
So much hype in this clash! Wonder if they'll have more of these commericals. Ridley stops Pit's blade with ease. I can't wait to play as Ridley and fulfill my dream to play as K. Rool and Ridley! Less than a month to go.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/430/388/3d1.jpg
Man, just imagine if spirits got taken this far (and technically, Mario, Ridley and Samus do have equippable variant spirits). Not like it'd be Mario's first or second time inside Bowser.

Now the fear comes from what Ridley would do within Samus' body.
The pragmatic option would be to just shoot Samus's body in the face to rid the Space Pirates of their greatest foe... if Samus wasn't also in Ridley's body and just as capable of disrupting their operations as a flying space dragon. He could try to sully her reputation, but the galaxy is awfully big for that. Bowser on the other hand would probably hate being in the small Mario's body. He's very proud of his own's strength and durability.

...Not that I believe spirits truly work like that. More likely they have no impact on the fighter's actions without their consent, and the puppets are controlled entirely by Galeem. This opens up another kind of headcanon besides straight-up possession...

Edit: A treat from the Shantae thread:

by Shenaniganza

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman

early competitive breakdown by M2K
Note this comment, no source on it though:

Thankfully, Ridley seemed to have gotten minor tweaks since E3. Enough to make him less exploitable. Down B ignores shield when aimed right now, and while his recovery is still kinda slow, it has massive priority and actual angles to work with. also for some reason, his tail moves were given immense priority against attacks, able to Nair through MegaMan's projectiles with no issue, and stop a full charge shot while off stage without even breaking Ridley's momentum. This means that a Ridley player will likely be a lot more predictable however. His tail moves having such a huge defensive usage will make easy to predict how they'll tackle aggression and projectiles, and only so many moves on Ridley use his tail safely enough to prevent his hurtbox from being nipped by larger attacks. Though overall, he appears viable in high level play with how easily he can go into his advantage states and general fast frame data coupled with solid kill moves like the Up Smash and Bair.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Thankfully, Ridley seemed to have gotten minor tweaks since E3. Enough to make him less exploitable. Down B ignores shield when aimed right now, and while his recovery is still kinda slow, it has massive priority and actual angles to work with. also for some reason, his tail moves were given immense priority against attacks, able to Nair through MegaMan's projectiles with no issue, and stop a full charge shot while off stage without even breaking Ridley's momentum. This means that a Ridley player will likely be a lot more predictable however. His tail moves having such a huge defensive usage will make easy to predict how they'll tackle aggression and projectiles, and only so many moves on Ridley use his tail safely enough to prevent his hurtbox from being nipped by larger attacks. Though overall, he appears viable in high level play with how easily he can go into his advantage states and general fast frame data coupled with solid kill moves like the Up Smash and Bair.
Well, it's nice that they implemented his tail's toughness from the 2D games.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
While i think Ridley has some good tools to play with and looks fun to play, i am getting a bit concerned about the recent backlash Ridley is getting after more people are trying the complete roster. Just looking at how many competitive players are putting him on low tier, getting the 2° lowest score of newcomer hype reveal on reddit, or even Plushblock gaming (which made a nice Ridley review) calling him a disappointment by his recovery and aparently not even a heavyweight at all.

I am sure there are many Ridley Fans, but at the same time, it looks that many ridley fans are abandoning ship after more negative feedback, and moving to Simon, K. Rool or the veteran heavies, that overall are getting more positive feedback in the comunity. Of all the newcomers, maybe it feels like we are getting the short end of the stick again.

Sorry if i am being negative, i am just fell kind of heartbroken, after being one of the loudest fanbase with many supporters, with many posts per day, and now that flare its getting extinguished after time passes.

So my question is, What we need to do to keep the hype alive? For me, i will try to lab him, and maining him the best as i could on locals even if he turns out to be low tier (i am used to it btw, being a dedede and zard main in smash 4), and hoping for good buffs in future patches (that doesn't mean i stop playing him if he doesn't receive any). So what about you guys?

Kopy

Smash Cadet

I really hope that's true, it would help immensely..
I wouldn't count on it without any evidence, though..

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
While i think Ridley has some good tools to play with and looks fun to play, i am getting a bit concerned about the recent backlash Ridley is getting after more people are trying the complete roster. Just looking at how many competitive players are putting him on low tier, getting the 2° lowest score of newcomer hype reveal on reddit, or even Plushblock gaming (which made a nice Ridley review) calling him a disappointment by his recovery and aparently not even a heavyweight at all.

I am sure there are many Ridley Fans, but at the same time, it looks that many ridley fans are abandoning ship after more negative feedback, and moving to Simon, K. Rool or the veteran heavies, that overall are getting more positive feedback in the comunity. Of all the newcomers, maybe it feels like we are getting the short end of the stick again.

Sorry if i am being negative, i am just fell kind of heartbroken, after being one of the loudest fanbase with many supporters, with many posts per day, and now that flare its getting extinguished after time passes.

So my question is, What we need to do to keep the hype alive? For me, i will try to lab him, and maining him the best as i could on locals even if he turns out to be low tier (i am used to it btw, being a dedede and zard main in smash 4), and hoping for good buffs in future patches (that doesn't mean i stop playing him if he doesn't receive any). So what about you guys?
I was surprised to hear that from Pushblock since he seemed so positive about Ridley when he reviewed him. I am still going to make him my secondary main despite tier placement. I do hope the changes to him that were stated in the video are true, however. There is a chance that if he is still sub par on release, he could get the Mewtwo treatment from future patches.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

I don't think it's "backlash," just that these commentators are analyzing his kit and his frame data from available footage and gameplay and finding that he's not as good as certain other characters. As a large heavyweight with primarily close-range moves, he's got some odds stacked against him.

Don't take it as gospel, though. Kameme placed 2nd at EVO 2016 with Mega Man, at the time was listed as E tier at #28, and then rose to B tier at #15 after that performance, because he came out with tech that no one had ever seen before by virtue of just putting time into the character and figuring out his limits. He fell back down to C tier at #27 by the final tier list, but the point is that it's way too early to determine characters' potential, and we won't know exactly what characters are capable of for a few more years. I wouldn't be surprised it a lot of the current high-tier characters like Simon fall to mid or low-high tier within a year, and some underestimated characters go way up.

Not to mention, this game is going to get a lot of balance updates due to Nintendo's dedication to it being an eSport as well as the online Elite Battles being used to inform their balance changes, so if Ridley and other characters are suffering, and Pikachu is dominating the meta, then that will be adjusted appropriately.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman

Between the lack of meta development and potential for buffs, I don't get too worried. And of course more than that is the aspect of fun. I'm not a competitive player; I like using Ganondorf, Samus, Bowser and DK because they just feel great, and I imagine Ridley will join that list regardless of his tier placement.

These two points go hand in hand, too. If people start jumping ship with Ridley, we don't have the collective man hours that together discover all sorts of new techniques and tricks. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I also enjoy playing Wario for example, and you hear a lot about him having 'untapped potential' simply as a result of the fact that he never gets picked up. But then that rare Wario pro comes along and sets up all sorts of crazy waft and bike throw setups.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Honestly, all we need is the game for ourselves. Though Ridley's recovery better be improved, cause what the HELL was that up b about anyway?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Honestly, all we need is the game for ourselves. Though Ridley's recovery better be improved, cause what the HELL was that up b about anyway?
One of the big problems with the Up-B is that the forward version of the move goes diagonally downwards, like who in the world thought that people would ever want to go downwards when they're making their way back to the stage? For some reason the backwards version is the one that goes diagonally upwards, which is pretty useless. Just switching the forward and backwards ones around would help his recovery a lot, it'd still be really exploitable because of its long startup and predictable trajectory, but at least he wouldn't be dead the second he's launched diagonally downwards.

I don't expect them to change it though as it'd require animation changes, not least to mention it's obviously deliberate design, which I really don't get, like out of all the weaknesses Ridley could have had I really didn't expect his recovery to be one. I'm obviously still going to main the hell out of him, nothing is going to change that, and I still love the rest of his moveset aswell, but I really don't get the design behind that move, it's as inconvenient as a Fox Up-B clone could possibly be.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Competitively, I wouldn't worry too much about it, at least not for now. We have to remember that the 'tier lists' being put out right now are just first impressions on the characters. The Pros haven't been able to look at every character extensively nor see how they interact with each other, so all of the options that those characters have are not properly explored and we don't know the full extent of what they can do. A good example of that is Bowser Jr., who was considered terrible in all of the first impression lists and was more commonly poorly rated then Ridley, but then we caught wind of his buffs that started to make him look better and now we're seeing lists shift things around for him. Ridley could be in the same situation, we don't have that much footage from the newest build nor a lot of pros going over their playtime with him aside from M2K (who I'm assuming did use him in that build), so things that may be better for him could be slipping by. Until we get the game I don't think we will know the full extent of what he can do, and until we're all able to lab him personally we're basically just theorycrafting based on limited information.

Regardless, even if Ridley does turn out to be low tier, it's not the end of the world either. As mentioned before, the game still has patches to look forward to, and thanks to Elite Battles we're able to showcase any problematic elements he'll have, so we can try to make sure those buffs he needs can get to him. So if things don't look good, we'll push to make them better, we have that option now and we can make use of it if we want Ridley to do better.

As for Ridley's discussion coming off as more negative/dismissive, we have to remember that of the newcomers Ridley and Inklings (who've also dropped in popularity) have been with us since the game's proper unveiling at E3. We've been able to see what their general moveset will be, what their mechanics are, how they work, what makes them tick, etc. That means that as time goes on they become less interesting to talk about since they're not the newest thing on the block and there's not much left to discuss about them, and even now the only new thing Ridley got after E3 is the second Meta Ridley alt. Compare that with the other newcomers like King K. Rool and Simon, since nearly two weeks ago we're able to finally see their full moveset in action, what their alts are, and everything else about the character, which is much more exciting. So for now, he's can't compete with the new guys, and until their hype starts evening out that means he's going to lose attention to them. It's not a bad thing for him, it's just the way things work when it comes to discussing newcomers until the game's out and everyone can play it.

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
So for now, he's can't compete with the new guys, and until their hype starts evening out that means he's going to lose attention to them. It's not a bad thing for him, it's just the way things work when it comes to discussing newcomers until the game's out and everyone can play it.
Great point. Early conversation after RIdley's reveal was non-stop hype about his down-B and stage control.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The competitive talk with Ridley slowly being thrown under the bus at the moment is a bit disheartening (even though dedicated fans will stick with him regardless of tier, yadayada), so I needed the Reggie thing as a funny distraction.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
One of the big problems with the Up-B is that the forward version of the move goes diagonally downwards, like who in the world thought that people would ever want to go downwards when they're making their way back to the stage? For some reason the backwards version is the one that goes diagonally upwards, which is pretty useless. Just switching the forward and backwards ones around would help his recovery a lot, it'd still be really exploitable because of its long startup and predictable trajectory, but at least he wouldn't be dead the second he's launched diagonally downwards.

I don't expect them to change it though as it'd require animation changes, not least to mention it's obviously deliberate design, which I really don't get, like out of all the weaknesses Ridley could have had I really didn't expect his recovery to be one. I'm obviously still going to main the hell out of him, nothing is going to change that, and I still love the rest of his moveset aswell, but I really don't get the design behind that move, it's as inconvenient as a Fox Up-B clone could possibly be.
Can't you just b-reverse the up special if you need to use the backwards-moving option? Or use a midair jump to do so since characters with multiple jumps can do that? Besides, it's usually when he needs to go straight up is when he gets nailed, because otherwise they fear his aerials and side b. The most vital part of his recovery may be conserving his jumps.

But more importantly, when recovery moves falter at the "recovery" aspect, they usually make up for it in offence. We know that it hits stupidly hard with a lot of damage and knockback. You can use that damage to plow through many projectiles (this is where the downward angle on the forward option is good, to hit the ground when used from a shorthop and minimize lag), and the delayed startup (which is still not that long when you look at the Star Fox crew, especially considering it's power) can be used to catch opponents conditioned to airdodge his much quicker aerials, making it a good surprise kill option.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
As long as Ridley is fun and not completely horrible, I'm definitely maining this big guy. Not like my past mains were anywhere near the top of the tiers anyway...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The recovery or lack thereof with up special along with other options is reminding me more and more of :wolf:. I guess in addition to having their amiibos showcased around the same time, space pirates gotta have less stellar recovery together.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, there's a reason people get hype when 'low tier' characters do upsets.

Not that I care for tiers since I care for the characters more than viability.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
The recovery or lack thereof with up special along with other options is reminding me more and more of :wolf:. I guess in addition to having their amiibos showcased around the same time, space pirates gotta have less stellar recovery together.
I mean, doesn't he have an extra mid-air jump, good aerials, and a rather unapproachable Up Special? I'd consider that an above-average recovery ability. Definitely better than many of the other newcomers.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
True. Is mostly just the directional input of his up special where the gripes are coming from, but when it’s effective offensively in addition to the rest of his aerial game, I’ll manage.

Top Bottom