• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I do like how World of Light is a mix between event matches and other known modes, even if it isn’t a story mode in the same sense as SSE. That said, I wouldn’t mind if Ridley becomes playable in the mode/joins you after you beat him, but is hard to say how it’s all gonna play out at the moment. Just hope there’s at least some satisfying cutscenes beyond the opening one, even though I expect there won’t be nearly as much as SSE. Also won’t mind if the mode’s a simpler way to unlock characters in the game (including Ridley) like with Subspace.
Apparently, in the Japanese Direct, Sakurai was very clear about there being no additional cutscenes or story elements outside of what was shown in the trailer. The NA Direct butchered the translation for some reason and made it much less clear.

It sucks, but I wasn't expecting any story, so even one cutscene is more than nothing. The most I think we can expect after this is a cutscene at the end, when you beat the final boss, but even that's uncertain.

You gotta think, with 74-76 characters, having a full story mode with dozens of cutscenes would take way more than three years of work.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Apparently, in the Japanese Direct, Sakurai was very clear about there being no additional cutscenes or story elements outside of what was shown in the trailer. The NA Direct butchered the translation for some reason and made it much less clear.

It sucks, but I wasn't expecting any story, so even one cutscene is more than nothing. The most I think we can expect after this is a cutscene at the end, when you beat the final boss, but even that's uncertain.

You gotta think, with 74-76 characters, having a full story mode with dozens of cutscenes would take way more than three years of work.
I see. That is definitely true. I’m fine with “use your imagination” for the rest of the mode after the opening scene, but that makes no Ridley (or Dark Samus) appearance in said scene even more a bummer in which case, not that my expectations for a potential story were that high to begin with.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I see. That is definitely true. I’m fine with “use your imagination” for the rest of the mode after the opening scene, but that makes no Ridley (or Dark Samus) appearance in said scene even more a bummer in which case, not that my expectations for a potential story were that high to begin with.
I agree. I am already coming up with ideas to what happens to him if that's really the case, but yeah, aside from the gorgeous paintings and his stunning trailer, I would have loved to see him in that cinematic.

StormC

Smash Hero
I remember during the Smash 4 days, the OP of the Ridley thread said something to the effect of "Ridley is comparable to Revolver Ocelot from MGS, rarely the main villain of a game, but always shows up somehow with a significant role."

Well...

The Event Mask

Smash Cadet
I don't know if they would do it but it would be awesome if boss Ridley was in World of Light, maybe his fight was unique and different than playable Ridley and similar to how you fight him in Subspace Emissary and that's how you unlock playable Ridley.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
A boss Ridley in Adventure Mode that gets you the actual one as playable? That sounds kind of interesting, as a reference to his previous role in the Subspace Emissary.

:bowser:.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
In the ideal world of light Ridley would have a boss incarnation that takes from all of his previous versions (Brawl, Meta and Other M).

Maybe add in some of his actual playable moveset (part of me thinks they'd take the easy route and just make you fight a Giant playable Ridley).

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
In the ideal world of light Ridley would have a boss incarnation that takes from all of his previous versions (Brawl, Meta and Other M).

Maybe add in some of his actual playable moveset (part of me thinks they'd take the easy route and just make you fight a Giant playable Ridley).
Never did I imagine hearing that Ridley should be a boss fight in Smash Bros. in the Ridley thread.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Ridley and Dark Samus are the two most evil playable characters of the Smash cast. Ganondorf is small-time compared to them. So the two of them interacting with the other characters in a casual or peaceful way would be... odd, to say the least. Which is why it makes sense they're not present with the rest of the cast in the trailer.

However, I suspected that the cutscene we saw in the Direct was cut down for time, and I just noticed evidence of that earlier today. At the end of the trailer, there's a clip from before the Master Hands' gloves get peeled away where Galleem is shooting some red lasers or something.

My guess is that, before all the characters get super wrecked, there's going to be a bit of them fighting off some Master Hands, where we'll hopefully get to see more of the cast who were absent from the trailer, maybe even Ridley or Dark Samus. Probably not, though, since they're so evil (in fact, Dark Samus's plan was arguably even worse than whatever Galleem is doing in Spirits mode). I'd love to know what they might be doing instead of being with everyone else, though.

However, I just realized that if I get to see a beautifully rendered Dark Samus beating the crap out of some Master Hands, it'll probably be one of my highlights of the entire year.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
People wanting a boss Ridley in Smash. The irony is up the roof. Well, since he is already playable then that is why they are in comfort while saying that. No way they'd say that in the Brawl/Sm4sh days~

:dazwa:.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Chrom can exist as both a playable character and a summon for Robin's Final Smash, then yeah I don't see a problem with :ultridley: being able to destroy a boss Ridley. Only problem with that though is that Rathalos is similar enough to boss!Ridley that it'd be a bit odd to see two boss dragons that fight similarly to each other.

I'm still holding out for a Metroid Queen boss or a refurbished Mother Brain boss, but I wouldn't take issue with boss!Ridley at this rate.

The Event Mask

Smash Cadet
Well I'm just glad we're in the timeline where we can play as Ridley, the boss idea in World of Light is secondary.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, I would just say so no the Ridley boss idea as an extra at this point and let Kraid, Mother Brain, or something else from Metroid do the honors, and as pointed out, Rathalos already fills a boss Ridley’s niche anyway. Nothing of value is lost.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Hmm. The prospect of seeing Kraid, Mother Brain or A Metroid Queen sounds really rad not going to lie.

:bowser:.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
If Characters can get potentially different spirits each time, then I can see that being the case. Where yu would have to face a giant green Ridley in Brinstar or Brinstar Depths.

AndreaAC

If Characters can get potentially different spirits each time, then I can see that being the case. Where yu would have to face a giant green Ridley in Brinstar or Brinstar Depths.
xD Now I cannot help but picture Kraid's spirit into the soulless Ridley copy and he saying "So that's how being skinny/thin feels like!"

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
For someone like Kraid, the concept of flying is as alien as what the Space Pirates are in the first place.

AndreaAC

For someone like Kraid, the concept of flying is as alien as what the Space Pirates are in the first place.
xD Oh Gosh, I am getting more ideas...

Ridley (with Roidley) could suddenly come across the soulless copy and Kraid would be like:

"Long time no see, Comrade!"

"What? Comrade? I haven't been called that in years...Kraid?"

"Yes, it's me!"

"Wow, you look a whole lot better now, glad you finally decided to do work out and take a heavy body surgery, you dufus."

"...That's not funny, Ridley. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised since your ego is even bigger than the universe itself."

"I won't deny that, I am just that superior, and you know it."

"You rock, Big Bro!"

"Thanks, Silly One. You know best."

"....Who are you talking to?"

"To no one that is of your business, "Comrade.". Whatever, let's cut to the chase and fight, shall we?"

"I am going to prove that I am a way better you."

"Oh really? Come at me, then!"

xD Since Kraid doesn't know how to fly, he would awkwardly wobble in the air trying to gain balance, only to get dodged by Ridley and crash against some invisible wall and fall humorously on the ground.

"Heh, sucker." And that would be Rid's line before getting rid of the bad impressionist, or at least liberate it.

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
If I had to pick a Metroid character to take Ridley's old boss spot Super Metroid Mother Brain would be really cool. Not much in terms of melee attacks to work with but it'd be cool to see what Sakurai and his team could do with her. Plus give us another 3D model of her that isn't Other M, there's so much potential!

StormC

Smash Hero
I really feel like the K. Rool and Ridley fanbases helped each other cross the finish line. There was a camaraderie between them unlike any other fanbases in Smash history, and the mutual support fed into the hype for both characters. The fact that they both got in at the same time only intensified that.

Who knew such beautiful friendship could be made between psychotic lizards and their fans?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
very fitting to see this after finding our first footage of Ridley and K. Rool fighting together on teams, :D

Here it is, Big Boys!!
This is the dream. Shame we didn't get to see the victory screen though.

StormC

Smash Hero
Once I unlock K. Rool and Ridley, one of the first things I'm doing is setting up a doubles match for them and taking a snapshot of their victory screen.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I was rereading berserk when I remember a rather glorious moment.

Samus and Ridley teaming up would be totally redeemed if they did this against Galeem.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Inb4 a team (or teams) hit it big with tournaments of Ultimates with the two reptiles. Glorious, I tell you~!

:ultridley: & :ultkrool:.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
very fitting to see this after finding our first footage of Ridley and K. Rool fighting together on teams, :D

Here it is, Big Boys!!
That is beautiful. Does anyone know if team K. Ridley won or not based on the entire match?

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
That is beautiful. Does anyone know if team K. Ridley won or not based on the entire match?
The end scores were Corrion -1, Ridley 2, K.Rool 0 and Z.Samus -2. Leaving Team RidRool as the winners.

Ridley got three kills and died once himself from SDing to an item explosion, while K.Rool got one kill on Corrin via a belly flop and died once to Corrin.

In short the Dragons and Reptile did all the killing and the Avian had a bad time.

AndreaAC

CLANK2.png

"Oooh!" *Begins to poke Ridley's metallic face with his tail causing a clanking sound* "Noisy!"

"...Silly One...Could you PLEASE STOP THAT!"

*Roidley keeps doing it*

"I swear I will do the same to your skull and probably fix your brain along the way, you idiot!"

xD Just some idea I got after hearing one of Omega Ridley's SFXs that is a loud clank sound.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It’s also one of the first videos that has a good recording of Ridley’s (as well as Dark Samus’s) victory theme. Nice. I’ve been waiting for one to finally show up.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I didn't realize this before but they apparently changed Ridley's victory theme between the E3 demo and the final build.

Comparing the two themes, the new version of the victory theme is now in major key and has replaced the unknown item acquisition theme with a Metroid Prime choir at the end.

Personally speaking, I prefer the E3 demo version. I think it's more fitting for a villainous character like Ridley to have such an eerie and foreboding theme commemorate his win.

The Event Mask

Smash Cadet
Yeah it's weird they changed it. Mabey the new version was supposed to be for Dark Samus but also they replaced Ridley's with it also. I agree the E3 version was better.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Here's another video, this time with our favorite big boys teaming up:

As for the new victory theme, the key differences I'm hearing are that the key is back to major like Samus', but the tone of the horns sound different and it adds a choir to the background to bring out an ominous feeling. Together, that gives it a more boisterous sound then the E3 counterpart, but it still has a dark undertone like that of the original version. If I were to make a guess, that boisterous tone may be why they changed it since it's more in line with the other newer themes that have been popping up, but YMMV on whether it was necessary for Ridley and Dark Samus.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here's another video, this time with our favorite big boys teaming up:

As for the new victory theme, the key differences I'm hearing are that the key is back to major like Samus', but the tone of the horns sound different and it adds a choir to the background to bring out an ominous feeling. Together, that gives it a more boisterous sound then the E3 counterpart, but it still has a dark undertone like that of the original version. If I were to make a guess, that boisterous tone may be why they changed it since it's more in line with the other newer themes that have been popping up, but YMMV on whether it was necessary for Ridley and Dark Samus.
In a perfect world I would have kept the old version only for Ridley, since that "Unknown Item Get" theme gives a strong association to Zero Mission, or more specifically, the manga that gave him the personality we know him for. The Prime choir is fine for Dark Samus since, well, she is from Metroid Prime... actually that climax reminds me of when she corrupts Samus and the other hunters, which is fitting as a victory for her.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
Now that we are talking about Ridley and K. Rool in doubles, i really want to know if Ridley's Down B works against buried opponents. Doing a Down B after a K. Rool's down tilt or Down Throw could be a nasty combination that could give a great percent lead if true.

Top Bottom