• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louisiana Melee Power Ranking [8/26/10]

Curlz

Smash Lord
As a tournament organizer, I'd like to keep it up for seeding purposes. You were one of the people who complained about how one of my Melee tournaments were seeded, this will help for future tournies.

D

Deleted member

yes, i complained. then i made a generalized list for seeding purposes, and vaughn followed it and it turned out perfectly. go find my post, where ever it is. the list in this thread is inaccurate and irrelevant. please close it.

this list was decided on by curlz ken and vaughn. if you want a pr, you should talk to lee kyle and i. but then again we'd all say it was a dumb idea. once agian, go find my list of generalized rankings for tournament seeding purposes.

Curlz

Smash Lord
yes, i complained. then i made a generalized list for seeding purposes, and vaughn followed it and it turned out perfectly. go find my post, where ever it is. the list in this thread is inaccurate and irrelevant. please close it.

this list was decided on by curlz ken and vaughn. if you want a pr, you should talk to lee kyle and i. but then again we'd all say it was a dumb idea. once agian, go find my list of generalized rankings for tournament seeding purposes.
Forward me to the list and if I find it accurate, I'll either update this thread or close it.

Ken posted it in the LA MBR and said that everyone either agreed or didn't have anything to say about it, so I went ahead and posted it.

j00t

Smash Champion
Sup guys, just wanted to remind you that FAP2 (link) will be taking place on December 11-12 at Huntsville, Alabama. It is Melee only, sorry Brawl folks!

D

Deleted member

not going to look for it through a bunch of posts but ill make another list. basically it was a top 10 list for seeding purposes with some alternates incase those 10 didnt show. i figured it'd be dumb to seed any more than 10 in our tourneys and its more important for some people to be split up than others.
no particular order within goups:

tier one to seperate:
lee kyle taylor
tier 2 to separate, which might end up in 2nd or 3rd game vs each other:
freddy, tim, avery, eric, cyphus.
tier 3 to separate who will probably end up 2nd or 3rd game vs each other
patrick, ken, ffox, and vaughn (if he ever entered anything).

thats 12 people and im sure you wont see a tournament with all 12 there so seed who ever shows up away from each other with the top 3 farthest from one another, then the next 2 tiers with decreasing importance of being separated. some alternates in case a lot of those people didnt show up would be:

zakosai, nick, ryan, cobi, and mark (i guess you could just call this the 4th tier of importance)

i dont think a true "power ranking" list will ever fix seeding for you, it will only cause conflict. while this will do atleast as good of a job. i think you should save this post and delete this thread. just imo though.

also, tiers 2 and 3 were really hard to separate and could very well be inaccurate. i think all those players are so close its hard to make a call but i think i did the best i could. if any changes were to be made i could see anyone from tier 3 moving up to tier 2 and anyone in tier 2 being in tier 3 (except tim and freddy. i think they belong there without a doubt.) sorry if i step on anybody's toes. this is just imho.

questions? concerns? disagreements?

Curlz

Smash Lord
tier one to seperate:
lee kyle taylor
tier 2 to separate, which might end up in 2nd or 3rd game vs each other:
freddy, tim, avery, eric, cyphus.
tier 3 to separate who will probably end up 2nd or 3rd game vs each other
patrick, ken, ffox, and vaughn (if he ever entered anything).

zakosai, nick, ryan, cobi, and mark (i guess you could just call this the 4th tier of importance)
This tier list almost basically follows the Power Ranking, it just lacks numbers and it shows people that don't normally go to tournaments.

1. Lee Martin (Tier 1)
2. Entreri (Tier 1)
3. TaylorHJ (Tier 1)
4. Avery (Tier 2)
5. Cyphus (Tier 2)
6. RSIA (Tier 2)
7. IShouldBeStudying (Tier 3)
8. V (Tier 3)
9. Nick (Tier 4)
10. RunFastGodSpeed (Tier 4)

HM. SetsumA (Tier 2)
HM. Zakosai (Tier 4)

If someone like Freddy were to attend a tournament I would know where to seed him because when this was in discussion we placed Freddy as 4th on the PR, but we noticed he didn't attend enough tournaments to make the cut, so we removed him so we could add someone who is m ore active so we know where to properly seed them, but we didn't want him to go unnoticed, which is why he's an honorable mention.

The reason Eet isn't mentioned on this PR is because he was in Colorado while this was being discussed, so we weren't expecting him to show up at tournaments anytime soon.

I'm sorry, but I'm not locking a thread that I could refer myself to for almost every tournament I run for your sake.

Edit:

Here is the reason for the PR. If only the 10 on the PR were to enter a tournament, here is how it would look.

With this seeding the results SHOULD come out to be.

1. Lee
2. Entreri
3. TaylorHJ
4. Avery
5. Cyphus
5. RSIA
7. ISBS
7. V
9. Nick
9. RunFast

Now let's say we had the inclusion of Freddy (seeded 4th) and Eet (seeded 7th) then the bracket would look like this.

Then the results should come out to this.

1. Lee
2. Entreri
3. TaylorHJ
4. Freddy
5. Avery
5. Cyphus
7. Eet
7. RSIA
9. ISBS
9. V
9. Nick
9. RunFast

The results look an awful lot like the Power Ranking, don't they?

D

Deleted member

my post includes a total of 17 people. but doesnt imply that you have to seed all 17 people. it just gives good guide lines for doing so when people dont show up. your list has 12 people. you explained why 1 of them wasnt on it. so mine is already more accurate 4 people. your list was written by few people, none of them at the top of the melee game, and you not even the melee scene. ive had experience playing all of these people and i posted it in the main thread to see if anyone else at the top of the scene has an opinion about it. it's open for change. no one is going to go to this thread and talk about it. smash players are lazy. my post wasnt made into a thread like my word is final because me and vaughn and my neighbor sam, who doesnt play melee, looked at a couple of tournament results and decided who should be placed where on a specific ranking of all players. your list is inaccurate and incomplete. if you really cared about seeding a tournament properly, but didnt want to delete this thread, (for i dont know what reason, i guess you just like to cause conflict? because thats what this kind of thing does. make people argue. this is not 'for my sake' as you pointed out. deleting it would be for the community so we wouldn't argue about avery being better than tim. its stupid.) you would replace your first post with my post, and then maybe tweak it a bit after discussion.

in conclusion you want to leave your inaccurate, incomplete "power ranking" posted on the forum so you can cause conflict by leaving it public and then incorrectly seed a tournament using it. im not saying it would come out horrible or anything, its mostly about causing conflict for smash players and maybe a few individuals left off your list that only randomly come to tourneys and arent well known, get screwed at a tournament because you dont know their skill because you dont play melee, son.

D

Deleted member

i feel like im writing an essay with all these posts. i cant believe people are attacking me for trying to cause less conflict among smashers. im done posting. do w/e you want.

'V'

Smash Lord
I just wanna clear something up really fast before more stuff happens.

I didn't use the EXACT same tier positions as Taylor described beforehand. I also factored in the most recent tournament placings within the last year. This was the formula I came up with:

I had 5 tiers of skill levels. Each player would be entered with that skill level into tio and I let tio seed it by skill. I then seeded it by location by hand, though I didn't have to do much, I only had to switch up 2 matches. I had the skill levels listed like this:

5 - Lee, Kyle, Taylor, Tim
4 - Freddy, Cyphus, Avery, Patrick, Ken
3 - Eric, Pritch, Flarefox, Vaughn, Sudai, Nick, Zakosai
2 - Austin, Mark, Coby, Mura, ShyGuy, Varuna, RunFast, Hats, Dylan
1 - Roni, Salt, Batto, Turok, BSL

I think everyone knows where this ended up. And it turned out really well. I think, in the end, it depends on how the TO wants to run his tournaments. I think it would be good to keep this here just for reference because tourney attendance should be taken into account in case we need to modify whatever formulas we're using for whatever bracket. Not all people will show up to every event.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
:(:(:(:(:( im a 1

just as good as turaz, good enough for me.

jk btw

ChKn

Smash Ace
If you're as good as you say and think you are, you don't need to worry about a seeding defining who you are as a competitor. You can beat all those people and your proper rank will show.

D

Deleted member

i fought lee second round one tournament with 20+ entrants. you cant say that it shouldnt matter because thats like having the finals second round and being cool with it. but you're right for the most part, the seeding benefits others more than it does me. but its good for everyone.

Sudai

Stuff here
If you're as good as you say and think you are, you don't need to worry about a seeding defining who you are as a competitor. You can beat all those people and your proper rank will show.

Not true. Let's assume it's a fact that player X is 4th best in the state and that Y and Z are 1st and 3rd respectively.

Let's assume some pretty bad seeding: 1st fights 4th and 2nd fights 3rd. 4th and 3rd lose and meet each other in losers. 4th best in the state just got last.

Now, that'll never happen cause we're not dumb, but the same applies lower in the skill brackets and you get the idea.

Edit: Did I really take 4 min to type that? Totally ninja'd by Taylor lol.

ChKn

Smash Ace
I meant in terms of rankings. No one would really seed 1-4 and 2-3 very first round unless there were 4 people in the tournament.

If I wasn't ranked, and I beat at least 3 of the top 10 ranked guys in one tournament, then I should get the nod, am I right?

I'll have more to type up, but I gtg.

Curlz

Smash Lord
i fought lee second round one tournament with 20+ entrants. you cant say that it shouldnt matter because thats like having the finals second round and being cool with it. but you're right for the most part, the seeding benefits others more than it does me. but its good for everyone.
And this prementioned tournament is the reason I came up with this PR.

D

Deleted member

edit from rage post. my grouping list was made WAY before this thread and this list was made. your comment is irrelevant. and just saying YOU came up with this PR is ******** enough for this thread to be closed. lol

ChKn

Smash Ace
D

Deleted member

not very high. it's pretty demoralizing losing in the second round when you're one of the top players in the tournament. i think i got like 5th or 7th. i played bad for the rest of the tournament. freddy beat me.

and there is no reason to give curlz any slack. we disagree and he annoys me. bad combination.

'V'

Smash Lord
Did you place high at least?
He got 7th at that tourney. He might not have been feeling up to playing that much anymore after fighting Lee. IDK. I can't speak for him. I think everyone was playing really well that day. I know I was.

Taylor did well enough to safely secure his all-around placing, though. That also isn't the issue right now.

I propose that after this season is done that the Melee PR be abolished. I have a newly improved ranking system that uses nothing but pure data instead of some data mixed with speculation.

-Ran

Smash Master
I seed the event just like I do for Brawl. I seed the top four players there, and then I seed skill based on location for the next few spots. After which, it's all random. I make sure that players that are part of a crew/carpool don't play each other early. After which, I ask a random top player to look over the bracket. Most of the time, they'll change one thing and remark that my seeding is great. Then I'll ask one more Melee player to look over it.

After that, it's done unless someone walks up to me and tells me I just called a match between them and their best friend.

Top Bottom