• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing to "scrubby" techniques

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Lol at people calling Samus's roll OP... I just don't understand.
Samus mains have literally changed their play styles to completely remove rolling (no exaggeration) because it's one of the worst options in the whole game behind Samus's grab.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
It's not that Samus' roll is OP (I don't see how it is, honestly), it's that Samus players are always rolling, which is the annoying part.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Eh while its kinda hard to say thats a scrubby tactic for Samus since thats about all she has going for her (i can use her without doing that but it is HAAARRD lol) i agree its irritating as crap.

Often when youre losing to a spamtactic its more because youre getting flustered and falling for it than anything else. Thats probably why Duck Hunt disappeared from the scene because people started figuring out how to get in his campzone by keeping a level head.

Link players are the worst for me. Link actually has some pretty powerful attacks but everybody just sits back and spams arrows, boomerangs, and bombs. For me, who plays DK mainly and lately Ryu as well, that normally means i cannot approach. But i find ways by keeping a cool head (really hard to do with a redhead temper lol).

Spammy players are predictable, use that to your advantage. Expect the roll by using a lingering hitbox on the ground (i know Shulk has one i freakin hate that move lol) and try to figure out how far you need to be to land it.

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
You guys are talking like samus's roll isn't like the worst in the game.
Almost half of the roll has no invincibility, and its slow enough to punish on reaction.
If there's a character with a worse roll than samus, please tell me.

FLYING 7UR7LE

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLYINGTRTL
3DS FC
5413-0294-8873
I'm a learning Dr. Mario user, and a Marth secondary. I tend to have huge problems against characters with massive power and reach like Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Ike. I always get frustrated with myself after I lose to these characters. >_< I place my losses on my rather poor reaction time and majorly aggressive (and unhoned) playstyle... There's so many times where someone is standing there charging a forward smash, and I make some convoluted plan to get in the most amazing punish ever, but I end up running towards them like an idiot and get hit on the last second.
I'm a learning Dr. Mario user, and a Marth secondary. I tend to have huge problems against characters with massive power and reach like Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Ike. I always get frustrated with myself after I lose to these characters. >_< I place my losses on my rather poor reaction time and majorly aggressive (and unhoned) playstyle... There's so many times where someone is standing there charging a forward smash, and I make some convoluted plan to get in the most amazing punish ever, but I end up running towards them like an idiot and get hit on the last second.
As a dr mario secondary what I have found extremely effective against charged smashes is jump right before the smash reaches full charge then forward air.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Although it's probably not the case, a psychological thing I'd like to share is:

When you're getting beat out by beginner tactics, chances are, you're playing too smart against that person. By that I mean, you're over-thinking your opponent's strategy.

In a higher level of play, a mental game like this may happen:

You: I'm going to meet this player in the air and keep them off the ground.....but if I do that, they may air dodge, so I'll do an empty jump, land and usmash to punish that dodge. In short, I'm going to set him up.
Opponent: He's been attacking twice in a row. He may do it again, so I'll dodge this time.

*players meet up. You empty jump, opponent air dodges for nothing and you punish accordingly*

In other situations, that may have played out like this:

You: I'm going to meet this player in the air and keep them off the ground.....but if I do that, they may air dodge, so I'll do an empty jump, land and usmash to punish that dodge. In short, I'm going to set him up.
Opponent: Derp, I'm just gonna attack when we get close.

*players meet up. You empty jump, opponent swings their fist. You jumped right into that for free*
If this happens then you are not too smart.
If this happens then you have a mindgaming tool, because you are aware of the tactic of empty hopping and punishing from the ground, but you lack the mindgaming skills to apply the tool well. Mindgaming is very different from randomly baiting and hoping that the opponent falls for it. Mindgaming means predicting the opponent and reacting accordingly. If you apply a mindgaming tool without the mindgaming skill then you get whopped by straightforward tactics like what happens in your example.

In short, a good mindgamer can see when his opponent is incapable of mindgaming himself and uses that to his advantage instead of mindlessy applying his mindgaming tools and getting owned.

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
That said, being aware of mindgaming and failing to use it properly is part of learning to make successful baits/reads.
again though, half of the battle is just getting used to lag.

Top Bottom