• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing Nana

Tenki

Smash Hero
I haven't fought any advanced IC users, so I've got a few questions to ask, since the hardest IC that I can play against is a lv 9 computer... and that's not too hard ._.;

-How hard is it to lose Nana?
-Have you ever fought anyone that specifically targeted Nana over Popo? How did that turn out?
-What is your opinion of playing Popo alone? (feeling gimped? can kill just as well?)

if I come up with any more situations/questions, I'll post later ._.;

thanks lol

Dr Pepper

Smash Rookie
First of all I kind of suck so take what I say lightly.

Generally I find it pretty easy to lose Nana when they get desynched, especially on the recovery. I played some guy yesterday who kept targetting Nana when she was desynched; he was Meta Knight and just chased her off the edge and there wasn't really much I could do. It seemed pretty effective because Popo alone is pretty weak.

So against the climbers I think it would be smart to go for Nana if you can get an easy kill. I'm not sure though because I just started playing ICs.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
Keep this in mind: any smart player will know to go after Nana first.
If you are fighting someone and you notice they usually go after you and just leave Nana alone, that most likely means they have no idea how to fight the ICs; it also means you will be able to land a grab very easily.

When you do face a smart player, keep in mind when and when you are not desynched. Whenever my Nana gets knocked off, I tend to wait at the edge until they come back. When they come, they most likely expect to be edgeguarded, but I just jump off and up+b. Up+b's radius that teleports Nana to you is HUGGE. Plus, it's certainly a crowd-pleaser, trust me. ;)

When both you and Nana get knocked off, try doing attacks like nairs and ice blocks so that Nana gets out of her stumble animation and won't gimp you when you do your up+b.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah, I've caused something like that to happen ._.;

When I fight computer IC's, I attack both, but with priority on Nana, since she doesn't dodge or do much defensively. I got a "60%"(Popo) kill vs lv 9 IC's because when I smashed them off the platform, Nana was hit too far away for him to try to use Belay.

I'm wondering if better IC users do things like purposely try to stay near Nana if she starts to get far away or anything like that.

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
By the way, how large IS Belay`s radius?
In other words, what`s the maximum distance Nana can be from Popo in order to Belay successfully?

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Most good players try to gimp Nana first which makes it easier to take on Popo. Luckily it's much harder to gimp Nana in Brawl than it was in Melee.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Yeah, I've caused something like that to happen ._.;

When I fight computer IC's, I attack both, but with priority on Nana, since she doesn't dodge or do much defensively. I got a "60%"(Popo) kill vs lv 9 IC's because when I smashed them off the platform, Nana was hit too far away for him to try to use Belay.

I'm wondering if better IC users do things like purposely try to stay near Nana if she starts to get far away or anything like that.
From experience of how I use them, if my opponent is going after Nana, I try to do anything I can to protect her, even if it means making myself the target. Also, whenever she's off the stage, I go out of my way to save her, because without both Ice Climbers, it's a lot tougher to give your opponent enough dammage to KO them, though if they already have the dammage, it's not harder at all to take them out, you just can't do their grab combos.

samai

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm new (first post) but I have been playing Ice Climbers since melee and have figured that it is good to go for Nana mostly but its impotant to damage popo to and never use popo as a shield as it is harder to ko dead then without nana. I once had a match with my friend and I only attacked nana and I died with about 2% on my friends popo :(

AREL0E

Smash Apprentice
-How hard is it to lose Nana?
Depends. There will be stocks where Nana is indestructible, then the rounds where it clearly shows Nana is just a cpu. In melee pretty easy, Brawl sometimes she beats me back to the stage. LOL.

-Have you ever fought anyone that specifically targeted Nana over Popo? How did that turn out?
Yes, all the time. I dont mind, because it is more crowd pleasing to have Popo fending itself off.
Sometimes when you need Nana you almost SD yourself, because you are trying to save your partner.

-What is your opinion of playing Popo alone? (feeling gimped? can kill just as well?)
Very fun, Popo can handle its own. Everything gets nerfed, but that is what mind games are for.
When starting off with both IC you are looked as if you are the Top Dog.
But when playing Popo after losing Nana, you and the crowd feels as if you are the underdog.
Best feeling when you know the odds are stacked and you have nothing else but Neutral B, Side B, and the little jump from the Up b to recover with.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
The friends i play with target Nana only when we are excessively separated. like halfway across the map serparated, and i believe thats the best way to go about it. Because i have found that even when Nana is forever away, if she doesn't have to much damage, i can usually interrupt my opponents attacks before there is a kill on Nana.

Also, when i do Lose Nana, i don't feel near as Gimped as i would if i still had both Characters, but only did half the Damage i normally do. The thing is, is that Popo's smashes are the stronger of the two, and i only have to alter my play style to get kills.

As far as recovery, well, thats just gimped. Squal Hammer doesn't get near as much rise without the other IC. But its not completely hopeless.

Auroura

Smash Cadet
NNID
Auroura
Well, I've played people that go after Nana first, and some that haven't. But I don't feel too gimped when she dies. I feel a bit more vulnerable because my recovery isn't as good but I still manage to recover even at 120%+ damage as long as I'm hit high enough, I tend to use my second jump then standard b then use squall hammer across. Normally gets the job done. Plus squall hammer interrupts your opponent trying to charge a smash or something. And popo can still just chain downthrows (As long as you're opponent has low enough damage) it doesn't compensate much in terms of the power you would have with nana but it still keeps you going for a bit longer to rack up damage and sometimes KO your opponent.

metaknightroy06

Smash Rookie
the IC are good, but alone, they're pretty weak. without the second IC, you have to use side b to recover and tap the b button really fast to recover high enough(for all you new IC players, a helpful hint)

Dan_X

Smash Lord
To put it simply, if your enemy wants to kill Nana, they will. If your goal is to separate the Ice Climbers, you will. I'm not saying it's ridiculously simplistic, but it's also not ridiculously difficult either.

I do have friends that realize that they MUST keep the ICs separated, to be honest, I find it frustrating... Once they've started on her, it's so difficult to rescue her... However, despite the fact that solo climber is weaker, one can still prove very capable.

Popo can still chaingrab most characters, his B-air isn't bad, his f-smash is still powerful enough to get the job done, his u-tilt, and u-air are great... Side B is good, but more punishable without Nana. Ice Blocks are not as effective, as they aren't as spammable, and blizzard can still be effective if used properly. Sure recovery is nerfed immensely but this is Brawl, we have DI in the absence of a recovery. Most of the time if you're knocked off, you'll be able to DI towards the stage and ^B or >B you're way back to the platform. Also, dodging, and shielding become much simpler in the absence of Nana, as you don't have to worry about her punishable delay.

In the end, owning solo climber style feels great, because as people said, you know the odds are against you... you shouldn't be winning.

napZzz

Smash Hero
its so much fun to take out nana lol. Its a good way to make the player fret over you killing her and panic and you can continue on doing what you want while he does is best to protect his *****

Top Bottom