• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing is affecting my self-esteem

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Hey man, if it makes you feel any better, I lose a lot too but I take it with pride and like a man. There’s no shame in that.

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie, I get salty after loosing against people spamming the same move over and over.
But instead of focusing on the loss, I take that as a challenge. I don't know how much you care about your GSP, but if you do, then don't.
Take every loss as a personal challenge, re-match this dude who destroyed you, re-match him over and over until you beat him.

I've gotten to the depth of GSP by doing that, down to 15 000 but before I realize it, I was actually learning and every time I was getting down by challenging someone over and over, the next person I faced was easier to beat because I've had learn a lot from the previous encounter.

You'll realize that a lot of spammers are basically playing the same way all the time and the more you'll play the more comfortable you'll get at beating them.

You will probably get stuck again at a higher GSP and will have to do the same thing, but you'll learn even more.

To make things short, try to not think of your loss as actual loss but as opportunities to improve.

D

Deleted member

Hey man, if it makes you feel any better, I lose a lot too but I take it with pride and like a man. There’s no shame in that.
Why be prideful when DDD 0-3's you? I have no mains now. If DK/Belmont got curbstompped by him, another suddenly good character will kill them too. Losing is nothing positive besides getting countering advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Why be prideful when DDD 0-3's you? I have no mains now. If DK/Belmont got curbstompped by him, another sddenly good character will kill them too. Losing is nothing positive besides getting countering advice.
I think he meant, "take it in stride"

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Why be prideful when DDD 0-3's you? I have no mains now. If DK/Belmont got curbstompped by him, another sddenly good character will kill them too. Losing is nothing positive besides getting countering advice.
At least I still have my self-esteem, believe it or not.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While there may be no "official" tier list right now, there are a lot of characters that are easy to see where they may end up. K. Rool and especially DK are both considered very solid picks. DK is widely agreed to be high tier.

While I can understand being frustrated by a character not clicking with you as well as you'd like (they absolutely butchered Rosalina in this game, I hate playing as her now), and dropping a character because they don't feel fun anymore is fine, don't pick characters just because people tell you they're good. That's no fun either and there is no reason to specifically pick high tiers unless you intend to compete for cash prizes.

Don't be so quick to blame it on the character, it could be anything else that's causing you losing streaks. Could be lag. Could be bad MUs. Could be that you were just outplayed.

D

Deleted member

While there may be no "official" tier list right now, there are a lot of characters that are easy to see where they may end up. K. Rool and especially DK are both considered very solid picks. DK is widely agreed to be high tier.

While I can understand being frustrated by a character not clicking with you as well as you'd like (they absolutely butchered Rosalina in this game, I hate playing as her now), and dropping a character because they don't feel fun anymore is fine, don't pick characters just because people tell you they're good. That's no fun either and there is no reason to specifically pick high tiers unless you intend to compete for cash prizes.

Don't be so quick to blame it on the character, it could be anything else that's causing you losing streaks. Could be lag. Could be bad MUs. Could be that you were just outplayed.
There was no lag, thank goodness. But it was definitely bad MUs.

K. Rool loses to Snake. DK loses to DDD. I'm not good with those two other heavies, and I ones I do (did) use, I lost faith in them. I drop a character if they lose a (near) one-sided match.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
There was no lag, thank goodness. But it was definitely bad MUs.

K. Rool loses to Snake. DK loses to DDD. I'm not good with those two other heavies, and I ones I do (did) use, I lost faith in them. I drop a character if they lose a (near) one-sided match.
As someone who mained low-tiers, I don't think giving up a character entirely is a good endeavour when you get curbstomped. You said it yourself: they were bad MUs.
Maybe what you need to do is either stick with the mains you have and find ways around the MUs, or pick up another main alongside in order to counter Snake and Dedede. Or maybe the MUs were in your favour but you were just inexperienced against these characters.

D

Deleted member

As someone who mained low-tiers, I don't think giving up a character entirely is a good endeavour when you get curbstomped. You said it yourself: they were bad MUs.
Maybe what you need to do is either stick with the mains you have and find ways around the MUs, or pick up another main alongside in order to counter Snake and Dedede. Or maybe the MUs were in your favour but you were just inexperienced against these characters.
I don't remember any other times I fought Snake or Dedede online. But that brings me back to the other issue; losing with other characters.

I want to have a zoner (if Belmont doesn't count. Dedede ended him), but they either don't fit my play-style (Sheik), might be too easy to use (Ness/Lucas), or aren't good in general to me ((Dark) Samus).

Rushdown? As a heavy main, I always went for rushdown, but projectiles always beat them.

And don't even get me started on fighting the lightest characters in the game...

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i feel ya, after playing online i started to get frustrated each time i see a Cloud or 2 certain fire emblem character *cough* Roy & Chrom *cough* it's already so bad that i kinda dislike the people who uses them -.- and if they win with spamming which is what that last Cloud character basically did when i made a comeback, while i could had beaten him if he wasn't such a desperate chicken, then i just report the person for unfair spamming behavior..not sorry, it really angers me that when i finally make a comeback that the stupid Cloud/Chrom players only spams to prevent me from doing anything

in all honesty i am not a bad player with my all in all performance but certain characters like the ones i mentioned i struggle to much against and for some reason the game keeps matching me against those people..it's annoying :l

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I think I might be playing offensively all the time, regardless of which character I use.

Cleaning my main list leaves me with either Donkey Kong or King K. Rool as my main/secondary, and then Richter as my tertiary, removing Incineroar and Pokemon Trainer. Now what?
Getting good requires patience, so even if you do get beat hard, try to accept that you lost. Holding on to the anger isn't going to help you improve. Some anger might motivate you to do better, but the bitter kind of anger like getting mad that the other player keeps beating you isn't productive. Take the time to figure out the opponents methods and options. Take time to rewatch your replays, win or lose, and look out for things where you could have done things differently, or ask why you got hit at a certain point. Someone suggested Anther's Ladder. Ask the people you play for some advice if they have any, and don't look at any feedback like an attack towards you, unless they're being assholes, then forget them.

Insistent

Smash Rookie
Op
You are becoming tilted, anger or not, salt or not, you are pushing yourself too hard for your own good, just like a pinball machine when you get too rough with it, it goes tilted, then nothing work anymore, same as you, you perfom poorly at these situation, along with emotional roller-coaster.
You would want to avoid putting too much pressure on yourself, remember you loose nothing but a better chance to get opponent at your current skill, dont sweat it and try to slowly think of what you see and whats really going on, otherwise you may derail, and eventually tilt yourself.

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
1) Play to learn, not to win

2) Get lots of practicing with a SINGLE character, preferably your MAIN main

3) Be patient. Improvement can be noticable a month later (or even longer)

When you are playing to learn, you are saying to yourself: "I want to get better at this game. I want to win as many matches as possible and become a good player." This is only possible if you are playing to learn. Actual winning comes later down the road.

Just like in Pokémon, the only way to level up your Pokémon is to do battling. You have to keep playing, keep grinding and keep practicing to see improvements and results. You only gain EXP by battling, and when you gain enough, you level up.

If your Smash "EXP" is at, say, 24, and you wanna reach say 50, you have to be patient. Take one level at a time. In Pokémon, getting your Pokémon up to level, say 78 isn't something done over a day. You have to be patient. Focus on the knowledge that you WILL reach level X, not "why am I not there yet".

For me, it took about 5 years before I got good (by my standards) at Smash. (It was during Brawl and I played it from start to finish.)

If you truly are dedicated and motivated to this game, then you WILL reach the results you seek!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I feel the people who are coming in here just to point out flaws in OP's mindset aren't really being as helpful as they think they are. Yes, OP's mindset is an unhealthy one and I think they realize it, otherwise they wouldn't have made this thread. Just pointing out problems isn't productive, you have to provide solutions in order to help anything. And I think it's clear that OP can't just change their mindset on a dime, otherwise they wouldn't exactly be having this problem, now, would they?
(Kudos to the people who are actually giving constructive advice, though. Seriously, you guys are the real MVPs.)

I admit I have a lot of sympathy for OP (and Ghidorah14, while I'm at it); I see a lot of myself in them, as I've been going through a similar issue since Smash 4. The ****ty thing about your situation is that there really isn't an easy solution to this sort of thing. People like us obviously don't enjoy being salty, nobody on Earth does, but it's a complex mental block that isn't gonna just go away as much as we may want it to. It sucks, but the best thing to do when you notice yourself getting salty is to stop playing, which might sound patronizingly obvious to some, but the tricky thing there is convincing yourself to stop - believe me, I've been there countless times, and not just with Smash. After all, after a massive losing streak in any game, who wants to end on such a ****ty note? What I personally like to do when I get fed up with 1v1's is head over to FFA's (since there's actually an option to have a remotely fair casual match in this game with the hazard toggle and the ability to turn certain items off) or, rarely, Team Battles, as there's a whole lot less pressure to take the game seriously and there's not just a single winner and loser in those modes. Sure, the forces of the universe might rally against you occasionally, but it's a lot harder to get upset when it's not just a straight-up measurement of skill. (Plus, superheavies are usually better in FFA's and players who don't play with the standard FG ruleset typically aren't as good, so you'll probably lose a lot less as well. ;))

I hope this post helped someone, even just a little. Trust me, I know what it's like to want to play a game because it's fun, but ultimately walk away from it because I'm anxious about losing; it's an ordeal I'm still going through with Smash, a series I love to death. I honestly don't think people who have never struggled with salt in their lives can really speak on this issue, and I know I'm gonna get lambasted by some of the more *ahem* outspoken individuals in this thread for saying it, but it's really what I think. Emotional stability is a blessing that so many people take for granted, and not all of us can bring ourselves to save a replay of a particularly embarrassing loss and watch ourselves get our ass handed to us on a silver platter, critically analyzing every error in excruciating detail. Remember, your #1 goal in any game should be to have fun, unless you're playing it professionally, and if you're not having fun, simply put, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
the thing is..don't be to offensely, sometimes you are mainly avoiding or playing defensely until you see a opening or see a attempt to do something..
in a online match with a Ridley player i got rekt the first match cause i was being to aggressive..but in my rematch i completely bodied him when i played more defensely and attacked each time there was a opening or when he made mistakes :D just pay attention to how someone plays and if you think you know how to handle them but lost your first match then hope they will want a rematch too..it can go in your favor for real!

my experiences in rematches with people in 1 VS 1 is that i often do perform better then in my first match haha

AlphaYak

Smash Rookie
NNID
AlphaYak
Switch FC
SW 7246 3021 2249
There's this problem I'm having since getting the game, and I'd prefer you refrain from giving smart-alecky replies.

Every since playing the online mode, I find myself getting butthurt and hating myself after most losses for these reasons:

- Projectile spamming speedsters who are untouchable 90% of the time.

- Swordies in general.

- Any time I try out a character lighter than Ridley/Belmont, my win rate drops considerably, and after a few losses, I drop the character and never touch them again, preventing me from branching out.

- Taking only 1 stock or none at all while I get curb-stomped.

It's the reason why I only use the heavier characters, put tons of importance on winning, and the game stops being fun. How can I drop this toxic mindset and having fun again?
For managing emotions, I think the movie 'Inside Out' is very helpful. Anger, fear, joy, sadness, or disgust are real emotions and functional parts of our psychology; embrace them and use them productively and you'll find that takes some of the edge off of the stressors in life (i.e the stress or anxiety of losing). Don't focus on 'not being angry', but rather focus on the tactics you're trying to practice and evaluate your progress from there.

When you get mentally fatigued, take a break, get some sunlight, maybe some good food, and go back at it when you're ready. If you have a tactic that you want to practice, head to training mode and train there. Remember the feeling of losing and let that motivate you to push yourself further in training. Compartmentalize, and save the anger for training, and focus on what tactics will make winning easier.

I main heavies because I love the design and associated characters, and I have similar struggles with zoners and control players and the best thing to practice is patience. When you're playing most heavies into speedy toons that approach you, you're on the defensive: play like it. Wait for them to come to you, and use your range to your advantage. When you're against projectile users, you're on the offense. Close the distance as safely as you can, and make openings. Bait out laggier moves and use your grabs, jabs and s hop nairs to punish. For instance, if you are K Rool approach with dash and short hop nair if you need armor, fair if you're confident in the attack, and gain control of the space.

Each character has unique mechanics and 'strong spaces' so to speak, so play around with the ones you like and figure out where those strong spots are, and do what you can to keep your opponent there.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
There's this problem I'm having since getting the game, and I'd prefer you refrain from giving smart-alecky replies.

Every since playing the online mode, I find myself getting butthurt and hating myself after most losses for these reasons:

- Swordies in general.

- Any time I try out a character lighter than Ridley/Belmont, my win rate drops considerably, and after a few losses, I drop the character and never touch them again, preventing me from branching out.

It's the reason why I only use the heavier characters, put tons of importance on winning, and the game stops being fun. How can I drop this toxic mindset and having fun again?
Seems your good with Ridley. Use more Ridley.

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
One thing I do is have 'bad' characters, and 'good' characters. I have my elite smash characters who I only play when I'm in a good mood (not tired from 10 hour days, physically sore, mentally numb, etc) and play characters I don't care about their score when I'm less than optimal. If you start going sour when playing one of your good characters, stop playing your good character and switch to your bad ones. It's my way of having a 'for fun' mode and a 'for honor' mode.

Why care about a bad score if it's 'not your REAL character', more often than not these characters start doing really well over time due to not caring. I think this strategy might work best for the mind set which you described.

Last edited:

Insistent

Smash Rookie
Thats not very nice, its an opinion...
But have you tried king ddd? Its my first smash game, within all character i tries he was the most natural to me, hes fun, easy to use but skill ceilling is high, i got to 2.5m gsp quickly, use neutral tilt a lot since everything else is slow and predictable, and down tilt when opponent too close.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thats not very nice, its an opinion...
But have you tried king ddd? Its my first smash game, within all character i tries he was the most natural to me, hes fun, easy to use but skill ceilling is high, i got to 2.5m gsp quickly, use neutral tilt a lot since everything else is slow and predictable, and down tilt when opponent too close.
I never said I was good with Ridley, and I'm not.

I tried the penguin king and gave up on him because the skill ceiling for him is too high. DK is a much easier super-heavy for me, if not the easiest.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

- Swordies in general.

Just try to improve. And don't give up with any character. I have had a number of losses, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the game, let alone trying again and learning from my mistakes. Just up your game. Plus, this is a game. There is no crying over spilled milk, and that includes games. There are ways of getting around the swords of swordies and projectile spamming speedsters. I have had to deal with them at first, but while I could still personally improve some, I have gotten better some with these. It's just all about practice.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Play as Bowser or Ganondorf, they're free win characters. Bowser in particular, I got to Elite Smash despite not even being a character I play much or enjoy. Didn't lose once with him because of how easy he is. Ganondorf can be cheap if you play doing nothing but Smash attacks with other moves rarely used, but can also be cool and fun if you use his whole set. His aerials and tilts are really good. Even his jab.

D

Deleted member

Play as Bowser or Ganondorf, they're free win characters. Bowser in particular, I got to Elite Smash despite not even being a character I play much or enjoy. Didn't lose once with him because of how easy he is. Ganondorf can be cheap if you play doing nothing but Smash attacks with other moves rarely used, but can also be cool and fun if you use his whole set. His aerials and tilts are really good. Even his jab.
But they're two of the three superheavies (King Dedede being the other for different reasons) I don't use because I don't personally enjoy them. I'm not even good with Ganondorf and I don't have the patience to learn him.

I've already put a lot of time into Donkey Kong and recently King K. Rool, can't I just stick with them?

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Of course you can. King K. Rool has a great kit and Donkey Kong's really good at combos.
Was just saying, if you're sick of losing, you can win with Bowser without even trying. I don't enjoy him either, but yeah.

Insistent

Smash Rookie
Its the opposite to me in heavy weight, i cant play these properly, unless its ddd, wario as second and jigglypuff third best... not the typical first characters for beginner that i use, but that show theres a good first character for everyone in the ~70 list, even if most go for sword fighter, literally went tru all of them in classic mode before i choosed those 3.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think perhaps it's less about projectile spamming speedsters, sword characters, &c., and more about how you think of yourself. Step back from the game and ask yourself why losing affects your self-esteem. Do you already have a poor self-image of yourself? Are you afraid of losing? If so, why? Are you no longer enjoying the game? If so, realize that it's just a game. You can be serious about the game, but if you're not having fun, you're not going to do as well as you could. After playing the game and turning it off, do you experience a lack of desire or perhaps fear of losing when you play the next day?
My self-image is wonky and gets worse by losing. Losing isn't fun and enjoyable.

I played just so I could experience Elite Smash, that's why winning was important to me. But Elite Smash was not any different.

In a game like Overwatch, I play Arcade for quick loot boxes, but it takes forever I always end up with a losing streak. That's how my self-esteem functions.

The worst this is, I usually refuse to acknowledge my self image at these times; I find myself silently lashing out at my opponents and justifying my losses with "bad teammates", "cheap tactics", etc., when really, I'm just a bad online gamer who struggles to get good.

D

Deleted member

Lemme see if I got this straight: I'
1) Play to learn, not to win

2) Get lots of practicing with a SINGLE character, preferably your MAIN main

3) Be patient. Improvement can be noticable a month later (or even longer)

When you are playing to learn, you are saying to yourself: "I want to get better at this game. I want to win as many matches as possible and become a good player." This is only possible if you are playing to learn. Actual winning comes later down the road.

Just like in Pokémon, the only way to level up your Pokémon is to do battling. You have to keep playing, keep grinding and keep practicing to see improvements and results. You only gain EXP by battling, and when you gain enough, you level up.

If your Smash "EXP" is at, say, 24, and you wanna reach say 50, you have to be patient. Take one level at a time. In Pokémon, getting your Pokémon up to level, say 78 isn't something done over a day. You have to be patient. Focus on the knowledge that you WILL reach level X, not "why am I not there yet".

For me, it took about 5 years before I got good (by my standards) at Smash. (It was during Brawl and I played it from start to finish.)

If you truly are dedicated and motivated to this game, then you WILL reach the results you seek!
Lemme see if I got this straight: I'm not supposed to want to win, and by extension, feel good about myself? Is that what I'm being told?

xzx

Smash Lord
Lemme see if I got this straight: I'm not supposed to want to win, and by extension, not feel good about myself? Is that what I'm being told

Lemme see if I got this straight: I'm not supposed to want to win, and by extension, feel good about myself? Is that what I'm being told?
No, you got it wrong: Your first priority should be to learn - play to learn. After that you should prioritize to win - play to win.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Everyone gets salty from time to time and everyone can feel a bit down when losing.

It's just important to realize that you can and will get better. Look at where you were when you started. Look at how far you've come and take pride in it.

I can force you to ignore your downfalls but I will encourage you to think of three good things you did every match.

That aside, are you switching up how you play with your mains? Depending on the match you could be a very safe and careful DK or a hyper aggressive one. Both are valid playstyles and it might help if you learn to do both kinds and recognize when to switch it up.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I apologize for mentioning things someone may have already posted because i don’t have the time to read em all at the moment.

Some tips:
1. Stop playing if you feel like you get angry.
2. Make it a goal to try to analyze the opponent and countering it. Maybe look at the replay if you can’t do it in game.
3. Play to learn not to win.
4. Respect your opponent. I have more fun when I’m giving a “hf gl” as the start message and “well played” at the end. A friendly environment means less salt.
5. Don’t blame people for spamming projectiles in 1v1. Most people who do this have problems when you get close and personal (use shield,jump and dodge to get it. Works with everyone). Also projectile spammers are easy once you figured them out as they become very predictable.

D

Deleted member

3. Play to learn not to win.
But that results in my sore loser attitude. Winning brings me satisfaction; losing depresses me to the point of refusing to look back at why I lost. Having general psychological issues doesn't help.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
But that results in my sore loser attitude. Winning brings me satisfaction; losing depresses me to the point of refusing to look back at why I lost. Having general psychological issues doesn't help.

If this is 100% true you won’t be able to play anything competitive again. If there is a winner there is always a loser on the other side. And you can’t win 100% of the time. Nobody can....

Playing to learn doesn’t mean you will be losing all the time. I to get satisfaction from winning but losing 50-75% of games isn’t the end of all things. Try to take away something from every loss.

DrakeekarD

Smash Rookie
Late to the party on this one, don't let the online get to you. My online experience was terrible to say the least. I blame the RNG matchmaking system as I never have had luck with any RNG based system. I say this as it is random who I will play against with the current pool of players looking for a match.

I do understand mental disorders far too well, they suck. I too felt depression loosing, but that was because it was better than rage. You can control how you feel to an extent with will power. It isn't easy, but it isn't impossible either. As for the I always want to win, you can't have that attitude. If that is how you play your games, you wont enjoy them. Getting frustrated is common place for any video game. You should hear me sometime yelling at my switch as if it could really hear or understand me. I normally take a break, get over it, come back with a clear mind and find that it isn't as hard as it was. Letting your mind be clouded in such ways only hinders you. That said, if loosing means so much to you, it may be something you have to give up. I gave up playing FPS shooters online because of that attitude. It's not easy, but if it brings only pain, it is not worth keeping honestly.

I learned a lot from the 200 quickplay matches I did for the Challenge board. I learned the type of player I am, who I dislike to fight against, and find I truly dislike the disrespectful. However, you can't really pick your fights and everyone is different. The way someone acts is not up to me to decide.

If it's loosing GSP, don't worry about that number. If it is loosing in general that bothers you, can't help you there, but something that helped me was stop playing to win, but to play for fun. It is only a game after all.

There are plenty of was to play this game, not just online. My latest goal that I just met was to score over 2 million in classic mode. That was a lot harder then I thought it would be however, I felt satisfied afterwards. The nice thing about that is you can always try again.

My apologies for the lateness and length of this post.

Prison

Smash Cadet
Something that I personally noticed, which is pretty unique to online side scroller/fighting games. The lack of communication you have with the other player, can completely flip your mental state causing you to tilt.

Look at it like this, they took taunts and custom taunts out, all you have is the crouch/crawl which in itself is seen as a rude gesture, going back to the FPS series. I find that most people aren't mad/sad at losing, but instead are frustrated. It's frustrating to play the game and put time into it, just to get beat by someone who is 'worse' than you, because they spam.

I'd look at it this way, next time someone is spamming, slow down. Don't try to control the game speed, they have it with spam. But the thing with spam is, it's incredibly predictable. Take a character like ness. He throws pk fire either straight, or jumps and throws an angle. It's just a projectile, it can be absorbed/reflected, when it does, you can punish. Beating spam is all about working on your punish game. Work on micro-spacing and parries, it goes a long way.

You have to keep in mind, even though theres a huge portion of players who devote hours to learning and want to play competitively, there are just as many who just play for fun. Smash in it's simplest form is a game, if you aren't enjoying yourself, take a break. I feel that smash plays off the same idea as a slot machine, when you win, you ride it out on a high. But as soon as you lose, instead of taking a break, you keep going into matches with a clouded/angry/frustrated mind. Each match should be separate, just like all competitions, you don't bring salt/feelings into a new queue.

I found for me, going to locals really helped curb the salt. It's one thing to get really mad at home and yell/scream/cry/throw ****. But being in public will really curb that, and eventually you can turn that same mentality into a home habit. Just remember, you learn the most from your losses. It's inherent in the game, you'll never win them all, and it's easy to make excuses for not adapting.

TL:DR; Just keep an open mindset, go into each match neutral and SLOW DOWN. Stop and think when you're getting spammed/camped. This will go a long way in keeping your mood neutral and keep the game enjoyable for the longest.

Imfrikinbad

Smash Cadet
This happens to me as well. I usually just have to take the rest of the day off and come back the next day and really think about what I need to do to improve on my next online session.

Jebril

Smash Apprentice
I'll necro post because I feel this so hard. Like others have said best thing to do is just quit playing especially when you feel like you lost to some BS. I'm trying to get Shiek into Elite Smash now....LOL, highest I got her is 4.7 mill and then I drop back down to 4 mill and repeat, every day for the last few weeks and it's a nightmare. The people I lose to are typically terrible players who just spam. I played a Young Link who would boomerang then fire arrow, then dash grab as soon as possible and he landed with D-Air literally every time.

The problem is that boomerang has very little end lag, arrow even with zero charge goes across most of the stage, dash grab even when whiffed is difficult to punish and even D-Air has a huge hitbox and is super safe, and it kills pretty well. Even though it was close I lost and I just thought wow this dude is terrible and I still lost to him. It's pretty demoralizing obviously, IDK who these players are they seem like really scummy people and most of them will never rematch you so you can't really learn from your mistakes, because it takes at least a few games before you get someone's playstyle down. That's another issue with this game is the amount of MUs there are, it's very difficult to learn 60+ MUs and the different ways people spam in crappy connections.

At a certain point I was raging pretty hard at the game believe me playing Shiek on Wifi is insufferable, and the character herself is extremely difficult to master and has annoying weaknesses, imagine losing to Doc Mario when he's at 180% and you're at 35% only to get F-Smashed when you get hit once to to the ledge and now you're dead. This game gets pretty ridiculous and insane, and Nintendo has done a great job at making this game extremely accessible to younger audiences. They want your 10 year old cousin to stand a better chance playing you than he did before. That's why they made so many moves so much safer than they used to be. Kirby Up B spam is good in this game, all the Link's D-Air is good, Yoshi's can spam Down B and it's pretty safe because of super armor and reduced landing lag. All the dumb moves that us vets are used to thinking are unsafe are much safer than they used to be and it screws us hard.

And to make matters worse rage is a pretty big factor in this game, ie when someone's losing they have a better chance at that comeback something that happens to me all the time because Shiek sucks at killing. I actually think rage is a worse mechanic than tripping it's so frustrating to play against a built in comeback factor again made for your little cousin to stand a chance in the game. I know people are going to hate what I'm about to say but please understand I've been playing Smash competitively since Melee, I have 8 characters in Elite Smash (Bowser Jr. Peach, Daisy, Lucina, Pikachu, Inkling Girl, Metaknight, Young Link) so I have a decent understanding of Smash and competitive play at the very least.

This game is not competitive, or at least it's not a good competitive game. So stop getting worked up about it, you can get better, but in the end of the day this game while not shallow can be played with very little skill and you'll still be pretty good at it. Especially online but even offline these issues still exist because so much stuff is much safer in this game, grabs have been severely nerfed in this game, shields were severely nerfed, all of this effects punish game. Making spamming even better because the punish game in this game is so abysmal. Honestly I stopped caring that's what got me to stop raging and giving a crap, I play the game for fun when I'm seeing too much dumb stuff online I just turn off the game and forget about it. No more yelling about how dumb this game is or caring about this game it's just a game but not a very good competitive one. Once you realize this game kinda sucks you play it less to be better at it and more just to kill time or have fun with it because most people I doubt are even having fun online when they play this game. I'll explain in the next paragraph...

Most people who I play online will never rematch me win or lose, but especially when they win obviously. I notice it's typically actually only good players who will rematch, the gimmick ones never do. Most people will spam projectiles and unsafe moves, dashing back F-Smash is a read sure, but when they're doing it 5 times in a row it's just dumb stuff, these are the people who think they're good because they dashed back F-Smash three times in a row and you landed on it trying to whiff punish them with an aerial. They're trash players and we all know that, if they were seen on a stream everyone would realize how stupid they look but it's gonna work because this game is bad and the online is even worse. Most people will rage at this game and go try hard mode, I notice people becoming super aggro when I have the lead trying their best to hit me, I realize I'm not the only one raging at this game, half the people I'm playing are raging at this game at least, I can see it in their playstyle. This made me realize how stupid this game makes people act and was even more self reflection for me that this game is stupid and not worth getting mad about, think about how many people are acting like fools over this game, do you want to be one of them? Over this trash? No thanks. Lastly, people will camp you super hard even when they're losing by huge margins (ie they're 100% on their last stock and I'm mid 50% on my second stock) this has actually worked to make a comeback against me because when someone's camping so hard when you think they're giving up you run into dumb stuff. I don't know how insufferable you can be to camp someone when you're about to lose by a wide margin in a laggy online quick play match but I can't believe you are having fun with this game if you are doing that. There is literally nothing fun about the game when you make the match this way.

So yeah just stop caring about this game, it's dumb....realize that and just have fun with it like it's actually a party game. This is not a competitive game even if everyone wants to pretend it is, this is not Melee in the slightest or any kind of fighter that requires more skill than basic inputs. Online will only exaggerate the faults of this game to a much higher degree maybe some of these players are technical and they're only playing this way because this game promotes this type of play style. Who knows, and who cares, even though many players including myself are trying to make this game into something more it really is just too accessible to a fault.

Last edited:

JJPR:Let'sSmash!

Smash Rookie

- Swordies in general.

- Any time I try out a non-heavy, my win rate drops considerably, and after a few losses, I drop the character and never touch them again, preventing me from branching out.

It's the reason why I only use Donkey Kong and King K. Rool (both of whom I love too much to permanently drop), put tons of importance on winning, and the game stops being fun. How can I drop this toxic mindset and having fun again?
I relate, though I cannot really help much. However, one thing to note is that you should never resort to spamming. Spamming is very effective, but it just ruins the whole thing for everyone. The opponent is just getting destroyed and can't fight back and the spammers? Spammers just are pressing B or something over and over. Does that even sound fun? Spamming will just result in nobody wanting to play with you, Especially if you're Ness or Lucas. 90% of the time when I've played with a Ness or Lucas, especially Lucas, they've always spammed PK Fire, PK Freeze, you probably get the gist.

Top Bottom