• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Lord's Logbook-Lucina User Videos

CherubiKnighT

"KnighT Of Mystery" CherubiKnighT
NNID
Cherubiknight
3DS FC
0946-3379-8020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZf6BzfEyM&feature=youtu.be here is my newest video of one of the best players in florida! I am using Lucina and Marth he is using the Zero Suit Samus. There is also a playlist I have with all lucina! Enjoy and please comment on the video. Most videos are 60fps but the most recent one was used with a different editing software. Never using it again lol.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'll be updating and giving criticism to the videos after Saturday. iPad isn't exactly good for that kind of things and my time here is really strained.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Oh yeah, a lot of my running around was trying to get Dash dancing down to a tee while fighting xD So I needlessly ran into danger and got smacked for it. Though if you see me going straight for the enemy, I'm usually going for a Power Shield > something, since I know my opponent will try something. If they don't do something, I can jump cancel it and put myself back at neutral and start again. Its either that or I run to shield a move > jump cancel FAir. Since we have so many options out of shield and stuff, I try to treat it like SF 3rd Strike and parry everything I can and retaliate whenever I think I can. It does result in mistiming the shields and unfortunately Dash dancing messes with the timing as well, since it's one other thing to think of xD Also, even if you power shield the smashes, Robin has lingering hitboxes after the initial hit, which does throw me off a bit at points (particularly DSmash which is 1 for sword hit and 1 for the traveling electricity). I love to power shield a little too much xD It depends on the player when I determine the risk behind something; I've fought that particular player since the 3DS version came out, so what seems risky isn't so much for me when I know how he thinks (just as he knows my plans). So I go for them, and sometimes I get punished, other times I land some sweet comebacks. My playstyle is quite risky I can admit, but the way of passive agressive style is play either agro or defensive till something favourable shows up from your opponent's reactions, then exploit it till victory or defeat xD

As for the offstage BAiring, I know I can hit Robin and stage spike him mid recovery, so I kept going for it xD Really, being on the ledge for me isn't scary, so I don't mind going for stuff like this since I can usually get back on without too much grief. Besides, if I don't practice them now, there may be a time I'll need them and I can't deliver xD I'm willing to lose matches as long as I can learn to do the stuff I go for with a bit more efficiency each time I go for them (plus I have gotten those stage spikes repeatedly before, but I don't show those matches since those were one sided d :)

As for the DB2 up version, that's essentially the ground DB setup I wrote on my guide (Emblem Lord can back up this one, since he's also written a bit on it on his guide too). That small lift is the key to getting the setup to work, as your opponent's next move will determine if they get hurt more or not. Whether your opponent hesitates, throws a bad aerial out, or commits to an air dodge, it gives the opportunity to make them pay for it dearly with tilts, grabs, even smashes. Best thing is that the setups flow into one another, so they're almost like a combo if you can get them all in one go.

Also, glad to hear it helped your game out in some way xD
Hi! Enjoyed your matches! :) Sorry to debate semantics, but it looked to me like the technique you were practicing is fox-trotting (link), not dash dancing. Dash dancing (link) is alternating left and right initial dashes to confuse your opponent so they won't know when you'll attack.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Hi! Enjoyed your matches! :) Sorry to debate semantics, but it looked to me like the technique you were practicing is fox-trotting (link), not dash dancing. Dash dancing (link) is alternating left and right initial dashes to confuse your opponent so they won't know when you'll attack.
Ah yeah xD I was actually doing dash dancing at points, since the fox trotting itself is simple on the input (but not so much implementation). I sorta just blur them together, since fox trotting needs dash dancing in a form to do the turn around and such. But good spotting that mistake there either way

Duet

Smash Cadet
NNID
requiemlacrimosa
Got a Lucina vs Marth match for any tips or criticism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CisSgsXPf0g
I'm the Lucina by the way
I only watched it once, but I noticed you have a bit of a roll habit, at least in the video. It didn't ever get you punished, but against a more skilled opponent it probably would have. In this match, however, it made you miss out on plenty of opportunities where you could have probably gotten a grab or a tilt off on your opponent because they were just standing there with their shield up and you would use your roll as an approach, or you would roll with them. I feel like most of the time, in this particular fight you could have used that time to get an offensive opportunity going.

If you feel like you want to get behind someone in those situations, you should try mixing it up with some pivots instead of rolling. It will either A) allow you to get a grab off from the front, or B) Allow you to bait out a spot dodge which will allow you to get a punish off with a pivot smash/tilt/throw.

Remember to only roll if you absolutely have to. It can be a great tool, but over use of it can get you punished. In matches where I notice people like to roll, as Lucina I will run through them with an up smash charging, anticipate the roll, and kill them with a fully charged running up smash a good majority of the time, and you probably could have gotten this marth with that a few times.

Another thing I noticed is that you like to use your Dair when you are above your opponent to get that spike while fighting on stage. It might be nice when you land that spike into the ground and they go into the air for a follow up, but honestly, Lucinas Dair is garbage, at least in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I am super guilty of this too when I am under pressure, because the natural thing to do is to try to go for a Dair on an opponent below you, but if the person shields it, you might as well kiss your butt goodbye, because the landing lag on Dair is soooo huge that you are going to get punished for it almost guaranteed. If you are going to go for that attack while falling, I think a better option would be to go for a falling up air. It is less punishable, and it still sends the person up into the air, and you can usually follow it up with a tilt or a rising Uair depending on the persons %. There is an entire thread dedicated to how good Lucinas Uair is, and the combos it can create, and you didn't use it nearly enough.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I am yet to understand those FullHop>AirDodge you keep doing when you're half a stage away. You just limit your options when you jump like that.
Dair might not be too bad, I mean, you can condition your opponent into it, bait the shield and then SB. Not a tactic I would go for too often, but another option is always welcomed.
Speaking of SB, don't use it at neutral, like, ever, it just won't work out. Use it when you're pressuring your opponents (like, they're recovering, on bad spot, you jump and they whiffed an attack, or they are being juggled).

Last edited:

ZRoyal

Smash Rookie
NNID
Inceptionalize

I've been using Lucina/Marth since the game's release and have never played them in any previous games (besides 3DS ofc). I'm quite new to competitive smash, so any feedback or things I can improve on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
All I gotta say is that it's painfully obvious when a match is Wi-Fi.
I can't comment much on that video, there weren't many noticeable things that couldn't be attributed to lag.
The only thing I noticed is that in both videos you suffered only one stock loss, and both were because you weren't smart with your recovery (you jumped too early against Shulk, limiting your recovery, and didn't go for the ledge against Robin with Thoron fully charged).
So, yeah....

ZRoyal

Smash Rookie
NNID
Inceptionalize
All I gotta say is that it's painfully obvious when a match is Wi-Fi.
I can't comment much on that video, there weren't many noticeable things that couldn't be attributed to lag.
The only thing I noticed is that in both videos you suffered only one stock loss, and both were because you weren't smart with your recovery (you jumped too early against Shulk, limiting your recovery, and didn't go for the ledge against Robin with Thoron fully charged).
So, yeah....
Interesting tip about the second jump, I'll work on that. By going for the ledge, do you mean waiting on the ledge until he used Thoron/baiting him into using it, something of that matter?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It was more about positioning: He was at a VERY advantageous position with Thoron charged and waiting on the ledge while you were just falling, he just had to react to whatever you did, and then you took the single most unsafe option available: Tech and roll towards him, allowing him to Fsmash while keeping the Thoron for the next stock.
There were many options there: Grab the ledge for safety, stall on the ledge a little, Airdodge+Uair (for lag reduction) into the stage, bait the Thoron, heck even rush in for trades with his aerials or the Thoron itself (you had the stock lead, the more damage on the opponent the better), all were options you could've gone for to get the most out that situation.

Whatever the case, I'm just breaking down a single situation, and it's difficult that you'll experiment the exact same scenario again, so I'll go the point:
Analyse your options, stay safe, try get the most out of each situation.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815

I've been using Lucina/Marth since the game's release and have never played them in any previous games (besides 3DS ofc). I'm quite new to competitive smash, so any feedback or things I can improve on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
I'm with Kyokoro on this one. Both the matches were close, and nothing really that stood out as a problem for your Lucina per say. Rather, your opponent was the one to make more silly mistakes, but his skill in the game is certainly there. Here's what I was able to dig up from analysing your matches:

- At one point you tried to SH SB towards the opponent when she was on the opposite side of the stage. I understand trying to throw the move ahead of time for them to run into, but that won't work so well against projectile users like Robin. Though generally the usage of SB needs to be thought of carefully due to the amount of ending lag there is to it. You did use it correctly in the Shulk fight, but your friend choose well to protect himself with vision more than shielding during the match - which he deserves props for

- There were a few times you FF FAir, which can be safe depending on the situation, though not as good against defensive players. You used them fine in these matches since your friend was also agro playing, but just be careful about using them like that.

-/+ Though not necessary for your playstyle, there were a few times you could have setup into more damage, particularly when your friend wiffed that DSmash and you went into a SH FAir. You don't need it to win per say, but just letting you know that you did have a few opportunities. If you're curious about the setups, they're written on my guide, and it will be up to you whether to implement them or not.

+ Needless to say, your spacing was good, but you did prefer to be up in their face, which Lucina does allow without punishment in terms of raw damage. You followed the Marth/Lucina fundamentals to a tee and your movement was good as well. Considering this is your first serious Smash game, you're in great shape for it xD

eshu125

Smash Apprentice
Placed 2nd at tonight's tournament in Fort Collins, CO (CSU). I Played against a wide variety of characters so I thought I'd share them here for MU review, critique, or general discussion.

http://www.twitch.tv/csu_smash/b/615683493

At 00:40: Lucina vs Yoshi LQ

At 27:30ish: Lucina vs Pikachu LS

At 45:45 Lucina vs Fox LF

And unfortunately it cuts off during my LF set and I have no clue where the rest of the footage is, cause there's no other recent VoD. Will hopefully recover it from my friend who streamed

P.S. Sorry for the bad stream quality. We're new to the whole streaming thing.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Placed 2nd at tonight's tournament in Fort Collins, CO (CSU). I Played against a wide variety of characters so I thought I'd share them here for MU review, critique, or general discussion.

http://www.twitch.tv/csu_smash/b/615683493

At 00:40: Lucina vs Yoshi LQ

At 27:30ish: Lucina vs Pikachu LS

At 45:45 Lucina vs Fox LF

And unfortunately it cuts off during my LF set and I have no clue where the rest of the footage is, cause there's no other recent VoD. Will hopefully recover it from my friend who streamed

P.S. Sorry for the bad stream quality. We're new to the whole streaming thing.
The stream was fine xD just needed to adjust game levels vs mic levels

Based on all the matches you did, there's really nothing much I can say in terms of needing improvement. Every action was done with spacing in mind and well chosen moves to boot. You did well with retaliating with your DS, though it may be hazardous to defensive players that may bait it out (but really, that move was the safest to go for, especially on Battlefield).

You did go for some setups too, and there are ways you could have extended the damage dealt, but you still did well regardless with getting the damage and getting the kill. You pretty much dominated the matches you were in, so being critical on them is rather difficult. The one match Fox won was showing he figured out how to get in, but otherwise nothing really to say xD I may have to watch it a few more times, but I honestly can't see any problems with your playstyle

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
The fundamentals are strong with that one xD BrolyLegs I mean

eshu125

Smash Apprentice
The stream was fine xD just needed to adjust game levels vs mic levels

Based on all the matches you did, there's really nothing much I can say in terms of needing improvement. Every action was done with spacing in mind and well chosen moves to boot. You did well with retaliating with your DS, though it may be hazardous to defensive players that may bait it out (but really, that move was the safest to go for, especially on Battlefield).

You did go for some setups too, and there are ways you could have extended the damage dealt, but you still did well regardless with getting the damage and getting the kill. You pretty much dominated the matches you were in, so being critical on them is rather difficult. The one match Fox won was showing he figured out how to get in, but otherwise nothing really to say xD I may have to watch it a few more times, but I honestly can't see any problems with your playstyle
Yeah I thought if anything it'd be something for other lucina users to look at if they are struggling with certain matchups or just the character itself. As for looking for criticism, I feel that I have a very good handle on how she needs to be played, but I was looking to see if there's any kind of tech that I'm not using that would improve my game even more, and the skype group helped a lot with that last night.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Yeah I thought if anything it'd be something for other lucina users to look at if they are struggling with certain matchups or just the character itself. As for looking for criticism, I feel that I have a very good handle on how she needs to be played, but I was looking to see if there's any kind of tech that I'm not using that would improve my game even more, and the skype group helped a lot with that last night.
Not sure what the skype group covered with you, but you did the principles of some of the setups just fine. There are tech followups, but they vary in risk. I can talk about them on the skype chat or you can read it on my guide xD

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Working on Lucina a lot more since she's my other main (dual main Sonic and Lucina). Here are a couple videos. There are a lot of things I need to work on like constantly forward smashing. Appreciate any feedback and hoping to place well with her in future tournaments. So far I've been getting top 4 with her.

Lucina :4lucina: vs Marth :4marth:
http://youtu.be/khyHtcEB9Ho

Lucina :4lucina: vs Pac Man :4pacman:
http://youtu.be/Zatj5Rm3dgc

Lucina :4lucina: vs Rosalina :rosalina: (Only the first game is Lucina vs Rosa. Second game you can disregard)
http://youtu.be/6ZBxEb70MKw

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Many apologies for not tending to the OP. I've added Scourge and Macchiato's vids.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Working on Lucina a lot more since she's my other main (dual main Sonic and Lucina). Here are a couple videos. There are a lot of things I need to work on like constantly forward smashing. Appreciate any feedback and hoping to place well with her in future tournaments. So far I've been getting top 4 with her.

Lucina :4lucina: vs Marth :4marth:
http://youtu.be/khyHtcEB9Ho

Lucina :4lucina: vs Pac Man :4pacman:
http://youtu.be/Zatj5Rm3dgc

Lucina :4lucina: vs Rosalina :rosalina: (Only the first game is Lucina vs Rosa. Second game you can disregard)
http://youtu.be/6ZBxEb70MKw
Based on the matches seen here, you had great control and spacing in all of them. Really kept them out with the FAirs and you read well with your FSmashes. Right now you're following the fundamentals route for Lucina, and you're certainly on your way there.

You haven't had much need for in those matches, but Lucina's trap setups with UTilt may be something worth exploring. You did space them with FAir and trapped with DTilt well, but you have more options than just that to keep them out. Granted, you were rushing with Lucina, so defensive play may not be something you're interested in. But those Tilts could be used some more for some trap/pressure game. Fundamental Marths/Lucinas will make use of every tilt to their fullest extent, but since these matches you essentially sweeped, there wasn't any foreseeable need to use them xD Never easy to give feedback when there wasn't any noticable struggle, so you're doing fine with Lucina.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
@ EternalFlame EternalFlame I appreciate any and all feedback. Overall my play style is pretty aggressive so I'll work on changing that up in the future. Adding in more Up Tilt and Forward Tilt is my next step so thank you for letting me know.

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
I have some Lucina replays recorded and uploaded to YouTube. Here's a match from the Smash 4 Worldwide online tournament in mid January where I faced against a R.O.B.

:4lucina: vs :4rob:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

I really enjoyed this match, being my first tournament and all. I like to think I've improved since, but any feedback is always welcome.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Cordelia!Lucina was a bit more dairing than I would be comfortable with in that matchup.
Well, the heart wants what it wants. :p

I should make a disclaimer of I see videos, but I don't watch them. I think I posted 15 videos across the other boards to give them more footage of their character, but I only watched like 3.

Edit: Japanese gameplay of Lucina, it starts off with Kirby vs. Lucina and moves onto Mario vs. Pac-Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idAzrCj2J3M.

Last edited:

Duet

Smash Cadet
NNID
requiemlacrimosa
Spent the past hour and a half going through all the replays that I have saved over the past month. I feel like my Lucina is finally at a point where I know what direction I need to take her and what I need to focus on to improve my play. I have spent the past month working on spacing and my movement to make myself less predictable, while trying to sharpen the precision with my attacks. There are still things I would like to incorporate into my game play to improve these 2 things, and I am going to focus on that next, while trying to get rid of the fact that I tend to "panic roll" quite a bit.

I have a long way to go before I will consider myself to be a truly competitive player, but over the past month it has gone from my Lucina just being impressive to some, to the point where people are telling me that I am the best Lucina that they have ever seen/played with on a regular basis. Considering that I don't have anyone to practice offline with, and there are no tourneys in my area, I am very proud of the fact that I am starting to gain respect as a player from the people that do have those opportunities. Anyways, thats the end of my rant. Just remember that even though it seems like an uphill battle a lot of the time, you just have to keep plugging away at it and eventually it will pay off.

In chronological order, starting with games from the beginning of february to the end

:4lucina: v :4mario:
http://youtu.be/yljNZyHmSAw

:4lucina: v :4zss:
http://youtu.be/Cz0QF0MlEZQ

http://youtu.be/kIgcNat-ak0

:4lucina: v :4fox:
http://youtu.be/jzAgWcjWCN8?t=1m36s

:4lucina: v :4myfriends:
http://youtu.be/cv5MF--_YGs

:4lucina: v :4rob:
http://youtu.be/UDzIakxqqHk

:4lucina: v :4gaw: (NM Keep) pt 1
http://youtu.be/PXsBxX45iqU

:4lucina: v :4gaw: (NM Keep) pt 2
http://youtu.be/yUq8g44HTwY

:4lucina: v :4gaw: (NM Keep) pt 3
http://youtu.be/OODQ17msAA8

:4lucina: v :4falcon:
http://youtu.be/me9izst9fHM

http://youtu.be/CtwZOVe-w6g

:4lucina: v :4robinf:
http://youtu.be/1sQSrFGiCZ4

:4lucina: v :4darkpit:
http://youtu.be/nrEGMfc647g

:4lucina: v :4pacman:
http://youtu.be/I4YDjJEWotM

Finally, a little JV 3 stock I got earlier today against a friend playing Marth. It isn't anything special, but it is the first time I have ever played a full game with no SDs against someone that I would consider decent without getting hit.

:4lucina: v :4marth:
http://youtu.be/V0zLLV0rztY

Last edited:

DrCactus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCactus
3DS FC
5026-4425-0383
I asked around for some feedback on your gameplay Auf, and what I got from the people I asked was:
IMPORTANT: IMPROVE YOUR SPACING (You also seemed to throw out attacks just to throw out an attack, which got you punished since Lucina has to commit to attacks. I would recommend watching some high level Marth gameplay since Lucina is harder to find gameplay of, and they both share the same fundamentals)
Work on your air game (they noticed you spent most of your time firmly planted on the ground)
Shorthop More (Also try to avoid using your double jump while on stage, as it will get you punished)
A Rolling/spotdodge Habit (You rolled around/spotdodged a lot which would get you punished once the opponent wised up a lot)
Grab More (Shields are Lucina's biggest weakness, especially with no Shield Breaker, so grabbing is important)
Over-reliance on Dashing Assault (Dashing Assault is a good approach tool, but it has some nasty end lag so you can't use it too much. especially since it's unsafe against shields)

I hope this helps friend.

Last edited:

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
I asked around for some feedback on your gameplay Auf, and what I got from the people I asked was:
IMPORTANT: IMPROVE YOUR SPACING (You also seemed to throw out attacks just to throw out an attack, which got you punished since Lucina has to commit to attacks. I would recommend watching some high level Marth gameplay since Lucina is harder to find gameplay of, and they both share the same fundamentals)
Work on your air game (they noticed you spent most of your time firmly planted on the ground)
Shorthop More (Also try to avoid using your double jump while on stage, as it will get you punished)
A Rolling/spotdodge Habit (You rolled around/spotdodged a lot which would get you punished once the opponent wised up a lot)
Grab More (Shields are Lucina's biggest weakness, especially with no Shield Breaker, so grabbing is important)
Over-reliance on Dashing Assault (Dashing Assault is a good approach tool, but it has some nasty end lag so you can't use it too much. especially since it's unsafe against shields)

I hope this helps friend.
Wow, that's a lot of good information, totally wasn't expecting that! Many thanks to you and anyone else who gave feedback! I'll definitely be working with this custom build more often and work on those points.

Top Bottom