• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Lord's Logbook-Lucina User Videos

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
Lucina vs. Mii Brawler from Teremi's channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k4hyInFqHk. I have no context, so I don't know if these were friendlies or from a tournament.
Man, while I do wish Smash 4 had the option to switch to the Japanese language track, hearing Lucina's Japanese voice instead of Laura Bailey would throw me off for a while.

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
Got some more online custom matches from Anther's Ladder. This time against Ganondorf (2122).

:4lucina: vs :4ganondorf: Game #1
:4lucina: vs :4ganondorf: Game #2

Really liking Crescent Slash, but need to work on comboing out of F-throw taking into account opponent's DI. Training Mode registers true combos at low percents but anything higher than 50-70% seems to allow opponent to DI and avoid the Crescent Slash follow up (and potential kill move).

Iai Counter is pretty awesome, seems to be better at getting the kill than Default Counter.

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
Alright, this is a fairly old match between my housemate and I. Ignore the Robin match as this was when I was experimenting with pockets and still wasn't confident that Jigglypuff should be mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gehitOLhoSc

In the spoiler tag below are a few of the notes I've taken since about the match and some stuff I've improved on since then. If anyone's got more feedback please let me know!

1. I jump WAY too much. I'm still trying to fix this but muscle memory, yo.
  2. I used shield breaker too much and badly spaced it. This is being fixed.
  3. My side-B combo skills have improved since.
  4. This was before I was comfortable with off-stage punishing/attacking which is why I didn't do it here. I've fixed that and doing off-stage attacks has really benefited my play.
  5. I don't dodge enough, but I'm working on this right now. Just trying to find the right balance between dodging too little and too often.
  6. Finally, I up-B on stage way too much. This is something I'm not as bad for any more but I'm still trying to get out of my muscle memory.

Last edited:

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
Alright, this is a fairly old match between my housemate and I. Ignore the Robin match as this was when I was experimenting with pockets and still wasn't confident that Jigglypuff should be mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gehitOLhoSc

In the spoiler tag below are a few of the notes I've taken since about the match and some stuff I've improved on since then. If anyone's got more feedback please let me know!

1. I jump WAY too much. I'm still trying to fix this but muscle memory, yo.
  2. I used shield breaker too much and badly spaced it. This is being fixed.
  3. My side-B combo skills have improved since.
  4. This was before I was comfortable with off-stage punishing/attacking which is why I didn't do it here. I've fixed that and doing off-stage attacks has really benefited my play.
  5. I don't dodge enough, but I'm working on this right now. Just trying to find the right balance between dodging too little and too often.
  6. Finally, I up-B on stage way too much. This is something I'm not as bad for any more but I'm still trying to get out of my muscle memory.
Just my own quick comments:

- Nice choice of skin for Lucina, Tiki!Lucina FTW :D
- Interesting to see the character we call "Duck Hunt" in the USA is "Duck Hunt Duo" elsewhere.
- Be careful of using Lucina's dair too often, it's got insane ending and landing lag. Personally I rarely use it, unless going for the meteor, or you can get a nice setup if you do it onstage and land the tip to bounce your opponent up.
- Try not to roll too often, it becomes predictable where you'll end up
- Keep your distance from your opponent: you have a sword and can hit from a distance, they need to get up in your face to attack you. Use that to your advantage to avoid getting punished.
- Careful where you land, not the best idea to land right within your opponent's range considering you'll have some landing lag.
- Use counter sparingly, otherwise your opponent will read them, predict them, and bait them and it's value will be null.
- Grab more
- Pummel more when you grab
- At high percents, d-throw stands little to no chance of follow up hits since your opponent will bounce too high away. Consider pummeling to u-throw at high percents since it can kill at high enough percentage, or at least reset to neutral to buy you time to plan your next move
- Work on teching (hitting shield right before you land from a knockback attack to reduce landing lag)

I'm by no means a high level player and am guilty of going against many of the things I mentioned. These are things I try to adhere to when I play.

Hope this helps.

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
Just my own quick comments:

- Nice choice of skin for Lucina, Tiki!Lucina FTW :D
- Interesting to see the character we call "Duck Hunt" in the USA is "Duck Hunt Duo" elsewhere.
- Be careful of using Lucina's dair too often, it's got insane ending and landing lag. Personally I rarely use it, unless going for the meteor, or you can get a nice setup if you do it onstage and land the tip to bounce your opponent up.
- Try not to roll too often, it becomes predictable where you'll end up
- Keep your distance from your opponent: you have a sword and can hit from a distance, they need to get up in your face to attack you. Use that to your advantage to avoid getting punished.
- Careful where you land, not the best idea to land right within your opponent's range considering you'll have some landing lag.
- Use counter sparingly, otherwise your opponent will read them, predict them, and bait them and it's value will be null.
- Grab more
- Pummel more when you grab
- At high percents, d-throw stands little to no chance of follow up hits since your opponent will bounce too high away. Consider pummeling to u-throw at high percents since it can kill at high enough percentage, or at least reset to neutral to buy you time to plan your next move
- Work on teching (hitting shield right before you land from a knockback attack to reduce landing lag)

I'm by no means a high level player and am guilty of going against many of the things I mentioned. These are things I try to adhere to when I play.

Hope this helps.
Ah that's all really good advice! I had noticed the down-throw thing over the past week or so and I've been practicing teching a little but everything else was stuff that I didn't properly consider. I really appreciate all the advice and I'll work on all this over the next week or two to try and improve my game. Thanks!

eshu125

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I'm Eazy. I was a pretty successful marth main in the Brawl days and I'm now using a bunch of characters in smash 4. In Grand finals vs Thunderstorm (2nd on our PR) one of the better luigis, I used my lucina for a match.

Check it out and tell me what you think.
https://youtu.be/QDe7FHFrjw0

Lucina at 2:25.

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
Hey guys. I'm Eazy. I was a pretty successful marth main in the Brawl days and I'm now using a bunch of characters in smash 4. In Grand finals vs Thunderstorm (2nd on our PR) one of the better luigis, I used my lucina for a match.

Check it out and tell me what you think.
https://youtu.be/QDe7FHFrjw0

Lucina at 2:25.
Awesome job using Lucina against Luigi, in grand finals no less. Luigi is not one of my better matchups in general as Lucina.

(note: I am not an expert so don't take any of this as gospel)

I liked the use of aerials (especially fair and nair), and dtilt. Awesome spacing. A little too many counters in the beginning, like when falling, but I do understand how tempting they can be since I have the occasional counter spam spell.

I don't think I saw you go off stage to try and gimp Luigi though. I typically try and go off stage with fair/bair, footstool, stage spike, or if not suicidal even dair occasionally. Is that not safe against Luigi? I am aware of how ridiculous his recovery is, but at least make him work for it. Countering their recovery is also an option, albeit risky and difficult.

Anyway, awesome game overall. How do you train to get depth with so many characters at once?

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
https://youtu.be/6cx0a38amFA

Here's that video. I fight some random. I saved only 4 matches. 2 Foxes, 1 Falcon, 1 ZSS. Video description lists the focus of recordings.

-I would love to receive feedback on how I can improve my spacing on fast characters like that Fox. I noticed it's lacking correct reads and timing when I swing the sword.

-I would also like to ask if going off stage to Bair Fox on the startup of his up-B is a good idea. Maybe if I timed a d-air at the ledge? Would it be possible to stage spike if I timed an aerial counter (while facing the stage) to hit Fox out of his Up-B recovery?

-In the match against the ZSS, I wanted to bait out the down-B when she was returning to the stage. Meeting her off stage has worked before, but then the player was opting to tether whenever possible, and for the rest of the match, I didn't figure out a way to exploit that. Wouldn't it be possible to hit her at some point between her 'pulling herself up to the ledge' and 'getting back on stage'?

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Well here's my last tournament footage of Marcina before the patch. This is from this Tuesday where I used Marcina and Robin and my Marth couldn't get going but Lucina was able to clutch it out for me.

TrainerCharred

Smash Rookie
Me vs random on For Glory

:4lucina: vs :4feroy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtLpVCzMqyw

Managed to land a pretty sweet combo in the beginning. I wanna ask: what are your favorite approach options with Lucina? you may notice I like to approach with shield braker quite a bit. I just want to know is it actually safe to do this or would I get bodied on a competitive scene for it?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Me vs random on For Glory

:4lucina: vs :4feroy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtLpVCzMqyw

Managed to land a pretty sweet combo in the beginning. I wanna ask: what are your favorite approach options with Lucina? you may notice I like to approach with shield braker quite a bit. I just want to know is it actually safe to do this or would I get bodied on a competitive scene for it?
Great vid!

As for your question....I don't think you should approach with shield breaker as much as you do because not only are you staling the move but a high commitment move like shield breaker would probs be punished by better players. Rather use it as a mixup, e.g approach with fairs or nairs and condition your opponent to shield then throw out a shiel breaker to mess them up.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
For some reason I didn't get a notification for you tagging me here....

Man that footstool though ;-;
Footstools are more accidental than anything, really. I never manage to pull them off intentionally, that is.

TrainerCharred

Smash Rookie
Great vid!

As for your question....I don't think you should approach with shield breaker as much as you do because not only are you staling the move but a high commitment move like shield breaker would probs be punished by better players. Rather use it as a mixup, e.g approach with fairs or nairs and condition your opponent to shield then throw out a shiel breaker to mess them up.
Thanks for your answer. Honestly forgot all about staling moves.

Last question I have for anybody really: Does anyone know if move staling effects shield breakers ability to break shields? or are those things separate? 'cause if those things are linked then yeah I definitely need to stop throwing out shield breaker all the time :p

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
Don't know if this belongs here or if it got posted already but

Nairo's Lucina bopping angel cortez' sheik, nearly 2 stocked

very inspiring stuff (i got top 8 with marth too, technically making 2 marcinas in top 8, amongst the shieks and yoshis)

Last edited:

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
@ Nika Nika from my point of view, you overused dancing blade, it's a good move for making some damage, but you throw it out just because and when it hit, i think you never finished the combo... your movement was ok, but when under pressure you airdodge to the slightest provocation, try to challenge your opponent from time to time to keep them guessing... I don't know if you used counter on accident when you were using dancing blade, but the only time it's ok to do counter after 2nd or 3rd hit of dancing blade is when the other character has a combo breaker move, like mario...

I'm no Lucina expert, I've used her for almost a year now, so if you believe something I said is wrong, then feel free to tell me...

Nika

Smash Cadet
@ Wnyke Wnyke : Yeah, those are all good points. I love DB but there's no reason to use it near kill percents. I try to cut it off as soon as I'm going to whiff the next hit, which is why it looks like I'm not finishing the combo sometimes.

Definitely need to airdodge less, yeah. And that counter was a pretty embarrassing mistake, I like to think that's rare but still something to work on.

Thanks!

@ Nika Nika from my point of view, you overused dancing blade, it's a good move for making some damage, but you throw it out just because and when it hit, i think you never finished the combo... your movement was ok, but when under pressure you airdodge to the slightest provocation, try to challenge your opponent from time to time to keep them guessing... I don't know if you used counter on accident when you were using dancing blade, but the only time it's ok to do counter after 2nd or 3rd hit of dancing blade is when the other character has a combo breaker move, like mario...

I'm no Lucina expert, I've used her for almost a year now, so if you believe something I said is wrong, then feel free to tell me...

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I've managed to save a few videos of some matches I've had against some people I talk to over at the Zelda Social. :4zelda:

So I'll leave some of my matches right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVa1TLEx5xY
:4lucina: v :4diddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q20AKvfgFyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEWzHwF5fXE
:4lucina: v :4marth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUB5eXDqB-s
:4lucina: v :4ryu:

I do feel like I throw out Smash attacks way too much during my matches with her. I'll try and cut down my usage of that.
But aside from that one habit, any other good tips that you all can provide so I can improve on using the Princess from the Future?

Last edited:
Top Bottom