• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Lord's Logbook-Lucina User Videos

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
I've only been playing Sm4sh for about 8-10 hours, and my previous Smash game history is very weak, only playing at friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NaZEtESveg (Sorry for the audio at the start(0:50), had to plug in my charger, and sorry in advance for the extremely slow gameplay which I assume is frustrating to watch for more experienced players.)

This match-up was a first time for me, I had issues adjusting on what to do and tried to adapt towards the end.
I realize some mistakes like not edge guarding his recovery in the first stock when I had more than enough time but I'm extremely weak in the air game, I can't seem to hit anything and I didn't want to risk missing the edge, doing unnecessary charge smashes when he's nowhere in range.

I'm sure the Shulk didn't really play that well either, I saw many mistakes from him too so I'm sorry if this isn't the best grounds for seeing my faults as I'm not getting anywhere near as punished as I should have and so on.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ Duzzzyy Duzzzyy . First of all, welcome to Smashboards! I moved your thread to the appropriate location. As you can see this is our video thread. Here you can post your videos and have other Lucina mains and Smashboards members comment on them and help you out! If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know through a private conversation and I'll be happy to answer any! :)

Last edited:

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Crap, sorry. Thanks for the welcome by the way.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I've only been playing Sm4sh for about 8-10 hours, and my previous Smash game history is very weak, only playing at friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NaZEtESveg (Sorry for the audio at the start(0:50), had to plug in my charger, and sorry in advance for the extremely slow gameplay which I assume is frustrating to watch for more experienced players.)

This match-up was a first time for me, I had issues adjusting on what to do and tried to adapt towards the end.
I realize some mistakes like not edge guarding his recovery in the first stock when I had more than enough time but I'm extremely weak in the air game, I can't seem to hit anything and I didn't want to risk missing the edge, doing unnecessary charge smashes when he's nowhere in range.

I'm sure the Shulk didn't really play that well either, I saw many mistakes from him too so I'm sorry if this isn't the best grounds for seeing my faults as I'm not getting anywhere near as punished as I should have and so on.
My bigger complaints are bolded.

-Overuse of Dancing Blade
-No throws
-Misuse of Shield Breaker, but you have the idea from airborne usage.
-Very zigzagged Countering of Shulk's attacks. Speaking specifically about him, his attacks are extreme counter bait. Especially Back Slash, which hit you a lot of times when you could have countered it.
- Demotivating video title

That being said, however:

-The lack of counters was compensated by smart dodging and punishing of said attacks.
-You have the general approach idea down, just needs fine tuning.

I'll add this to the OP.

Last edited:

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
My bigger complaints are bolded.

-Overuse of Dancing Blade
-No throws
-Misuse of Shield Breaker, but you have the idea from airborne usage.
-Very zigzagged Countering of Shulk's attacks. Speaking specifically about him, his attacks are extreme counter bait. Especially Back Slash, which hit you a lot of times when you could have countered it.
- Demotivating video title

That being said, however:

-The lack of counters was compensated by smart dodging and pushing of said attacks.
-You have the general approach idea down, just needs fine tuning.

I'll add this to the OP.
I try to stay away from grab attempts as I don't have movement nailed down and missing a grab has ****ed me over a lot in the past when I played Zamus so it became a habit.
Things like short hopping are impossible for me to do consistently as of now, and I struggle to control when I dash and don't dash so forward tilts and alike become hard to do out of movement, making me resort to Dancing Blade.

Hopefully some of this might be resolved easier when I get a gamecube controller for my adapter(I know it won't magically make me perfect at it without any practice), as of right now I'm playing mostly on the gamepad itself.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I try to stay away from grab attempts as I don't have movement nailed down and missing a grab has ****ed me over a lot in the past when I played Zamus so it became a habit, things like short hopping is impossible for me to do consistently as of now, and I struggle to control when I dash and don't dash so forward tilts and alike become hard to do out of movement, making me resort to Dancing Blade.
Lucina's throw > Zamus'

It's just a matter of experiehce. You'll get used to it.

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQR1V-3pgic

After a very, very long day of trying to get better, I finally felt like I knew what I was doing for once in a For Glory game.
I was up against this one guy who played Link, the very bane of my existence, I've always had major trouble with them, even the really bad ones. After many, many losses in a row, trying out things and seeing what worked and what didn't in the matchup, everything just fell into place as I was getting my ass handed to me(87%-23%), I calmed down and thought about the pointers LiquidFGC gave me and what I picked up on his playstyle.

I would love full, merciless criticism on my mistakes and all the things I could have done better again, I'm actually feeling like I'm improving and I have to give my thanks to LiquidFGC.

Maybe it was luck, maybe it was him tilting, all I know is it motivated me to improve the best I can.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQR1V-3pgic

After a very, very long day of trying to get better, I finally felt like I knew what I was doing for once in a For Glory game.
I was up against this one guy who played Link, the very bane of my existence, I've always had major trouble with them, even the really bad ones. After many, many losses in a row, trying out things and seeing what worked and what didn't in the matchup, everything just fell into place as I was getting my *** handed to me(87%-23%), I calmed down and thought about the pointers LiquidFGC gave me and what I picked up on his playstyle.

I would love full, merciless criticism on my mistakes and all the things I could have done better again, I'm actually feeling like I'm improving and I have to give my thanks to LiquidFGC.

Maybe it was luck, maybe it was him tilting, all I know is it motivated me to improve the best I can.
Yes...yes. I like this.

Negatives:

-Lack of Counters on very predictable down air spikes and ground up smashes. A Link that doesn't mix up his options is very easy to read and act accordingly in response.
-I can't fault you for it because you do say you're learning, but there was no edge guarding. When you sent Link off the edge and he had to recover, a proper edge guard would have guaranteed a stock loss due to Link's poor recovery.

What is an edgeguard?

Taken literally, guarding an edge. Pushing an opponent away from the edge with attacks. In Lucina's case you have to pursue them in the air and do a air tilt on whatever side to push them back, while managing your distance so you can recover back safely and not die with them. If you had hit him even once when you got him offstage, you would have taken that stock.

Positives:

+Proper throw punishing.
+Balanced use of Dancing Blade.
+Improved punishing in general after whiffed throws and/or attacks from Link.
+ Video title isn't demotivating.

The improvement is noticeable.

Last edited:

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Yeah realized halfway through how obvious the counter opportunities were, all about making it second nature now so I don't have to think about it.
Also what's the best way to learn to edge guard? Every single time I tried to do it in the past, years back and recently, it lead to stupid self destructs, due to not being familiar with everything. I'm thinking just going crazy and testing every limit, seeing the extremes and all, but I'll most likely look like a complete moron for a majority of the times. Is there any other way to do it, like low gravity custom game to get my air game down or some gamemode or map that would really be a trial?

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Yeah realized halfway through how obvious the counter opportunities were, all about making it second nature now so I don't have to think about it.
Also what's the best way to learn to edge guard? Every single time I tried to do it in the past, years back and recently, it lead to stupid self destructs, due to not being familiar with everything. I'm thinking just going crazy and testing every limit, seeing the extremes and all, but I'll most likely look like a complete moron for a majority of the times. Is there any other way to do it, like low gravity custom game to get my air game down or some gamemode or map that would really be a trial?
Here are some pointers when learning to edge guard:

-Do not get greedy. One or two hits can spell doom for anyone without multiple jumps(Charizard, Jigglypuff, the Kirby trio) or an insane recovery(Villager, R.O.B, Pac-Man, Shulk with Jump Art activated, Pit and Dark Pit).
-Do not go too far from the edge. Unless you're running customs and Dolphin Jump(which is rarely since most online is For Glory), you can't afford to risk the stock. Too far can be defined as "unable to reach the ledge with a combination of your second jump and recovery."
-Do not use your second jump until after you hit the opponent. This will increase your chances of living drastically.
-Watch the stage you're on. Stages with a flat edge(think Wily Castle on FD mode) are easier to edge guard on. If the stage has a Final Destination-esque bottom part(like Norfair), watch yourself lest you recover directly beneath that part and die.

These are the pointers I follow.

Last edited:

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Here are some pointers when learning to edge guard:

-Do not get greedy. One or two hits can spell doom for anyone without multiple jumps(Charizard, Jigglypuff, the Kirby trio) or an insane recovery(Villager, R.O.B, Pac-Man, Shulk with Jump Art activated, Pit and Dark Pit).
-Do not go too far from the edge. Unless you're running customs and Dolphin Jump(which is rarely since most online is For Glory), you can't afford to risk the stock. Too far can be defined as "unable to reach the ledge with a combination of your second jump and recovery."
-Do not use your second jump until after you hit the opponent. This will increase your chances of living drastically.
-Watch the stage you're on. Stages with a flat edge(think Wily Castle on FD mode) are easier to edge guard on. If the stage has a Final Destination-esque bottom part(like Norfair), watch yourself lest you recover directly beneath that part and die.

These are the pointers I follow.
Thanks a lot for your continued help, I'll take it all into consideration as I keep training. Gonna go crazy now and test everything I can think of in terms of edge guarding with no fear, got nothing to lose.

Last edited:

Hokuwokk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hokuwokk
Wassup guys. I'm here for some critiquing..

I've been tryna stick with Lucina for awhile now and I think I'm getting the hang of her... I think lol. I'm a Street Fighter/Guilty Gear player but don't play too much nowadays. I kinda feel like she is like a SF character but at the ssme time I thought I'd try something different this time around.

Here are some matches for ya'll to take a look at. Please excuse the scrubbiness..

No idea ledge attack was good like that btw lol

I'm brand new to the scene and I've been playing this since the 3ds release so help/tips would be great. And feel free to add me on wii u so we can get a set poppin'.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

I've been tryna stick with Lucina for awhile now and I think I'm getting the hang of her... I think lol. I'm a Street Fighter/Guilty Gear player but don't play too much nowadays. I kinda feel like she is like a SF character but at the ssme time I thought I'd try something different this time around.

Here are some matches for ya'll to take a look at. Please excuse the scrubbiness..

No idea ledge attack was good like that btw lol

I'm brand new to the scene so help/tips would be great. And if feel free to add me on wii u so we can get a set poppin'.
:4darkpit:

No real complaints here. Loved that ending ledge attack.

:4palutena:

Some of those whiffed Smashes on Pal's part could have been punished better. I like the constant throw attempts. The long reach of her smashes is also somewhat counter bait. Nice win.

:4palutena: Match 2:

Slight overuse of Counter, which notably caused you to lose. Otherwise my complaints can be copypasted from the first match.

Please never edit music in again. I had all three videos on mute.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815

Half the time people say they're scrubby, that tends to be the wrong assumption of themselves xD You sir don't have such scrubbiness, and you handle Lucina quite well. Your movement and spacing was pretty good, and other than Liquid's points, there's not much I can really see that could use improvement.

I was also plesantly surprized to see the usage of the Air DB setup > UAir. Just remember that all of your other aerial moves can be used out of it as well, so you can NAir > grab/DTilt, or BAir/FAir if you need the extra reach and want the opponent off of you and underestimate where you can hit. There's a good number of options from that, and that's not your only setup either. Just be aware that those who block the first hit is an indication to get out of there, and space the move as well as you can (otherwise you risk getting frame 1 hit). But considering the opponents, the move was relatively safe to use it on them xD

There were also a few moments where the opponent is forced to grab the ledge the second time. During those moments, you should run off stage and BAir them, which will result in a stage spike and can kill them much earlier.

Good to see a fellow Street Fighter/Guilty Gear player around too xD Dem Xrd is out today, but hopefully it doesn't take too much away from the Smash practice.

Hokuwokk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hokuwokk
:4darkpit:

No real complaints here. Loved that ending ledge attack.

:4palutena:

Some of those whiffed Smashes on Pal's part could have been punished better. I like the constant throw attempts. The long reach of her smashes is also somewhat counter bait. Nice win.

:4palutena: Match 2:

Slight overuse of Counter, which notably caused you to lose. Otherwise my complaints can be copypasted from the first match.

Please never edit music in again. I had all three videos on mute.
Awesome lol thanks. Yeah I just pretty hesistant in some instances where i know i could punish accordily but for some reason i just mess up on the punish. Theres times where I try to go for a dash into a f smash but i always get dadh attack instead.The timing on canceling the 2nd initial dash is something I needa practice more.

btw is there any tips in how i can get a ledge kill like i did in the first video more consistantly? If I'm playing like a 1st to 5 set I can get it like 1 out of 5 times in a match. I was bugging when I got that kill lol.

Sorry bout to music lol it doesnt play through out all three videos and they werent edited in. I'm always playing music at my house.

Half the time people say they're scrubby, that tends to be the wrong assumption of themselves xD You sir don't have such scrubbiness, and you handle Lucina quite well. Your movement and spacing was pretty good, and other than Liquid's points, there's not much I can really see that could use improvement.

I was also plesantly surprized to see the usage of the Air DB setup > UAir. Just remember that all of your other aerial moves can be used out of it as well, so you can NAir > grab/DTilt, or BAir/FAir if you need the extra reach and want the opponent off of you and underestimate where you can hit. There's a good number of options from that, and that's not your only setup either. Just be aware that those who block the first hit is an indication to get out of there, and space the move as well as you can (otherwise you risk getting frame 1 hit). But considering the opponents, the move was relatively safe to use it on them xD

There were also a few moments where the opponent is forced to grab the ledge the second time. During those moments, you should run off stage and BAir them, which will result in a stage spike and can kill them much earlier.

Good to see a fellow Street Fighter/Guilty Gear player around too xD Dem Xrd is out today, but hopefully it doesn't take too much away from the Smash practice.
Haha appreciate it. Yeah I was experimenting with instant air dancing blade and I found a lot of nasty follow ups with it. Defintely going to try and implement it into my game way more and practice it accordingly. And a stage spike? is that when a character gets like hit and bounces off the edge of the stage right? or something like that? lol run off bair sounds pretty legit if thats the case. Any tips on my throw game? I just started developing it not too long ago cause when I was playing a lot of ganon I didnt use throw too much. I feel like im using fwd throw way too often. Also, any tips on using shield breaker more efficiently?

Yeahh lol I wish I could play Xrd. I only have a wii u atm. I sold my ps3 not too long ago :/. Hopefully getting a ps4 sooner or later so I got time to keeping smashing.

*pause*

Last edited by a moderator:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
btw is there any tips in how i can get a ledge kill like i did in the first video more consistantly? If I'm playing like a 1st to 5 set I can get it like 1 out of 5 times in a match. I was bugging when I got that kill lol.

Sorry bout to music lol it doesnt play through out all three videos and they werent edited in. I'm always playing music at my house.
That final ledge strike was something I've never seen before. I have no tips to offer.

Any tips on my throw game? I just started developing it not too long ago cause when I was playing a lot of ganon I didnt use throw too much. I feel like im using fwd throw way too often. Also, any tips on using shield breaker more efficiently?
Make sure to edit posts, as posting twice in succession is infractable.

Down throw has it's uses in combos. Otherwise, direct a throw towards the edge when you can.

Shield Breaker is best used descending from the air. If you can keep your opponent guessing with it, shields can be broken quite efficiently.

This is a mixup I pulled off some weeks ago. A backwards jump over the opponent into SB. Obviously, however, you can focus on simpler things:

A smart opponent won't fall for a simple mixup, but it keeps them guessing.

Hokuwokk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hokuwokk
That final ledge strike was something I've never seen before. I have no tips to offer.

Make sure to edit posts, as posting twice in succession is infractable.

Down throw has it's uses in combos. Otherwise, direct a throw towards the edge when you can.

Shield Breaker is best used descending from the air. If you can keep your opponent guessing with it, shields can be broken quite efficiently.

This is a mixup I pulled off some weeks ago. A backwards jump over the opponent into SB. Obviously, however, you can focus on simpler things:

A smart opponent won't fall for a simple mixup, but it keeps them guessing.
ahh i see.. well do you think it'd be worth looking into? I really do feel like it would play a big role into her edge gaurd game if used accordilngly. Just the timing on it is the only problem cause of the different recover speeds characters have on their up B.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
ahh i see.. well do you think it'd be worth looking into? I really do feel like it would play a big role into her edge gaurd game if used accordilngly. Just the timing on it is the only problem cause of the different recover speeds characters have on their up B.
Never use Shield Breaker offstage. It's too risky. When edgeguarding in the air it's better to just hit them once or twice with a forward air(direction dependant ofc), and recover back on stage, regardless of their recovery.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Haha appreciate it. Yeah I was experimenting with instant air dancing blade and I found a lot of nasty follow ups with it. Defintely going to try and implement it into my game way more and practice it accordingly. And a stage spike? is that when a character gets like hit and bounces off the edge of the stage right? or something like that? lol run off bair sounds pretty legit if thats the case. Any tips on my throw game? I just started developing it not too long ago cause when I was playing a lot of ganon I didnt use throw too much. I feel like im using fwd throw way too often. Also, any tips on using shield breaker more efficiently?

Yeahh lol I wish I could play Xrd. I only have a wii u atm. I sold my ps3 not too long ago :/. Hopefully getting a ps4 sooner or later so I got time to keeping smashing.

*pause*
The ground DB also has a setup form if you Side B > Up B > followu[. Both versions have their positives and negatives, but Marth and Lucina both benefit from these setups as long as you can get them. Yeah, the run off stage > BAir is as you said; bounce them off the stage and take their stock with it. Especially on stages where the bottom part is slanted, it will bounce them at the angle they're set to, and it can really benefit your game plan. Make em fear the ledge even more and punish them for their mistakes xD

As Liquid said, your DThrow is pretty good for a combo to attack string via BAir > FAir (or just UAir to baiting the next move, as both count as a true combo), or can be used as a trap setup by baiting an instant air dodge, then following up with an air dancing blades as you fall. Otherwise, just throw them off to force them to the ledge and place yourself at the best point to punish them. Forward throw can be used as a setup to your Air DB setup or a FAir if they don't react properly to it. Otherwise, the objective with using Forward throw is to get them to the edge, and your Down throw for your combo/trap starter. Also, your Up Throw is particularly good for killing opponents at extremely high percents (say 150% or more). Should your opponent last a little too long, give this option a go to finish the job.

Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier, but if your opponent is at 130% or more, the air DB setup > UAir/Double jump UAir becomes a true combo and is a potential kill option for you too.

That smarts :/ Well once you can nab that PS4, it'll be fun times galore with GGXrd. Though it'll be a tough transition since people get crazy good on just day one alone. I'mma need a lot of practice just to get the basics for that game down, but at least I have BBCP experience to carry over a bit xD

Hokuwokk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hokuwokk
The ground DB also has a setup form if you Side B > Up B > followu[. Both versions have their positives and negatives, but Marth and Lucina both benefit from these setups as long as you can get them. Yeah, the run off stage > BAir is as you said; bounce them off the stage and take their stock with it. Especially on stages where the bottom part is slanted, it will bounce them at the angle they're set to, and it can really benefit your game plan. Make em fear the ledge even more and punish them for their mistakes xD

As Liquid said, your DThrow is pretty good for a combo to attack string via BAir > FAir (or just UAir to baiting the next move, as both count as a true combo), or can be used as a trap setup by baiting an instant air dodge, then following up with an air dancing blades as you fall. Otherwise, just throw them off to force them to the ledge and place yourself at the best point to punish them. Forward throw can be used as a setup to your Air DB setup or a FAir if they don't react properly to it. Otherwise, the objective with using Forward throw is to get them to the edge, and your Down throw for your combo/trap starter. Also, your Up Throw is particularly good for killing opponents at extremely high percents (say 150% or more). Should your opponent last a little too long, give this option a go to finish the job.

Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier, but if your opponent is at 130% or more, the air DB setup > UAir/Double jump UAir becomes a true combo and is a potential kill option for you too.

That smarts :/ Well once you can nab that PS4, it'll be fun times galore with GGXrd. Though it'll be a tough transition since people get crazy good on just day one alone. I'mma need a lot of practice just to get the basics for that game down, but at least I have BBCP experience to carry over a bit xD
Sounds great. Ill deff keep these tips in mind. Thanks a bunch. I'll upload more videos too see if ive improved at all . so ill keep you guys posted.

yeah BBCP was the last game i was playing before i started playing smash actually lol. Litchi main. I was pretty ass tho <_<.

Never use Shield Breaker offstage. It's too risky. When edgeguarding in the air it's better to just hit them once or twice with a forward air(direction dependant ofc), and recover back on stage, regardless of their recovery.
lol i actually was talking about her ledge attack o.O but yeah ill keep thaT in mind. i get too thirsty for kills anyway.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Sounds great. Ill deff keep these tips in mind. Thanks a bunch. I'll upload more videos too see if ive improved at all . so ill keep you guys posted.

yeah BBCP was the last game i was playing before i started playing smash actually lol. Litchi main. I was pretty *** tho <_<.

lol i actually was talking about her ledge attack o.O but yeah ill keep thaT in mind. i get too thirsty for kills anyway.
Sounds good dude xD keep up the good work.

I've been a Hazama main on that game since Extend personally xD and practicing for those games are tough either way. Besides, I can't say I believe you, considering your judgement of bad play on your Lucina was far from it. Your standards of bad are much different sir xD

I think I can help out with that whole ledge attack > stage spike thing. Since your getup attack has brief invincibility frames, your opponent may have reached into the hitbox as they were trying to recover. It's rather reliant on your opponent to make the mistake and reach in rather than you setting up into it, so you're better off going for other off stage options.

Hokuwokk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hokuwokk
Sounds good dude xD keep up the good work.

I've been a Hazama main on that game since Extend personally xD and practicing for those games are tough either way. Besides, I can't say I believe you, considering your judgement of bad play on your Lucina was far from it. Your standards of bad are much different sir xD

I think I can help out with that whole ledge attack > stage spike thing. Since your getup attack has brief invincibility frames, your opponent may have reached into the hitbox as they were trying to recover. It's rather reliant on your opponent to make the mistake and reach in rather than you setting up into it, so you're better off going for other off stage options.
lmaoo naaahh trust me. Wasnt anything too great. Im a lot better in GG than BB ill say that. But yeah i see.. lol that ledge attack kill was crazy to me and i would love using that way more often. But it seems to be pretty situational anyway.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
lmaoo naaahh trust me. Wasnt anything too great. Im a lot better in GG than BB ill say that. But yeah i see.. lol that ledge attack kill was crazy to me and i would love using that way more often. But it seems to be pretty situational anyway.
I'm expecting that good at GG to be expert level stuff then xD You may be able to get if you go for it (they may not see it coming), but usually you could just run off the stage and BAir them easier than setting up to that styling getup attack xD

LionMagnus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lion_Leon
3DS FC
0576-4919-6815
I'm expecting that good at GG to be expert level stuff then xD You may be able to get if you go for it (they may not see it coming), but usually you could just run off the stage and BAir them easier than setting up to that styling getup attack xD
TIME TO DIE!!!!

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKVhqHUoCM4 :4lucina: vs. :4falcon:

So my friend from school happily volunteered to play some with me, and help me along the way with my air game. I'm getting more comfortable in dashing out of the map to cover the edge and it feels like my ability to see patterns and read is getting somewhat better, but I still feel like I have a lot more to improve. (Which I'm sure I do, too.)

Took me a while in this one before I noticed I could just destroy him in the air with short hops and fast attacks, also that awkward edge guard at the end where I do an uair and fall to my doom, I was expecting the uair to launch him out of the map from the top but I guess it's not a KO move and I should've gone for a fair or dair and take him down with me since I had a stock advantage?

Also so many easy counters missed. :facepalm:

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKVhqHUoCM4

So my friend from school happily volunteered to play some with me, and help me along the way with my air game. I'm getting more comfortable in dashing out of the map to cover the edge and it feels like my ability to see patterns and read is getting somewhat better, but I still feel like I have a lot more to improve. (Which I'm sure I do, too.)

Took me a while in this one before I noticed I could just destroy him in the air with short hops and fast attacks, also that awkward edge guard at the end where I do an uair and fall to my doom, I was expecting the uair to launch him out of the map from the top but I guess it's not a KO move and I should've gone for a fair or dair and take him down with me since I had a stock advantage?

Also so many easy counters missed. :facepalm:
Alright.

4:06 - A forward air would have been a much safer option due to lower recovery times. The ending lag of the up air was significant enough to prevent a possible save by using the double jump and Dolphin Slash. There's a small chance you could have made it if you jumped first, but it happened. This isn't worth losing a stock over.

And yeah, you highlighted my main issue here: some of those attacks could have been countered with ease. It's easy to catch on to a Falcon and what they do.

Other than that, I see no real issue here. except that low volume.

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy

Alright.

4:06 - A forward air would have been a much safer option due to lower recovery times. The ending lag of the up air was significant enough to prevent a possible save by using the double jump and Dolphin Slash. There's a small chance you could have made it if you jumped first, but it happened. This isn't worth losing a stock over.

And yeah, you highlighted my main issue here: some of those attacks could have been countered with ease. It's easy to catch on to a Falcon and what they do.

Other than that, I see no real issue here. except that low volume.
My main "problem" right now is besides refining my general play I don't know what to work on next with her, Lucina doesn't seem to be the heavy combo type character and more hit and run and besides the counter issue I have, that'll come with time as I get more familiar with every character and their moveset, I feel pretty okay with what I have so far. And that's not okay by me, I want to improve my Lucina more, a lot more. I'm worried of hitting a wall around this point.

i blame ****ty iPhone

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
*BUMP*ing this (not sure if that's against forum rules. sorry if that's the case) because I'd like to get some pointers before tomorrow's big tournament :)
I totally forgot to give my opinions here that day :|

In all honesty, I fail to see any significant things that need attention brought to them. Just don't counter projectiles that often(like the Yoshi eggs) and watch for surprise spikes when you're offstage.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Yo what's shakin', homies? Making my return to this thread, I haven't played Lucy in quite awhile (been enjoying :4megaman: and :4shulk:a little too much, haha) and I think I haven't really improved a lot since last time I was here, and I think its time to start my engines again by getting critique here.

vs. :4mario:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_cyHBq_Dyo&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=1
vs. :4link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD6daghnNRM&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=3
vs. :132: (this guy was sooo predictable though) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiC7AdnbxF4&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=4
vs. :4wiifit:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4bW2mMnr2c&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=2

Man do I hate fighting Wii Fit Trainer though.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Yo what's shakin', homies? Making my return to this thread, I haven't played Lucy in quite awhile (been enjoying :4megaman: and :4shulk:a little too much, haha) and I think I haven't really improved a lot since last time I was here, and I think its time to start my engines again by getting critique here.

vs. :4mario:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_cyHBq_Dyo&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=1
vs. :4link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD6daghnNRM&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=3
vs. :132: (this guy was sooo predictable though) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiC7AdnbxF4&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=4
vs. :4wiifit:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4bW2mMnr2c&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=2

Man do I hate fighting Wii Fit Trainer though.
Hmm, based on all of these, the best opponents you've had were the Link and Wii Fit trainer fights, as both those players demonstraighted the best control with their characters. You seem to tilt to a more defensive style of play until your opponent is offstage, and you handle the spacing and gimping quite well. Though I notice you stay in shield quite a bit at points, and it does throw off your opponents a bit. Though I'd advise to be careful of staying in shield for too long, as fellow defensive players will take advantage of that. Other than that, I don't see much that needs changing in regards to your observed playstyle xD

EDIT: Oh I forgot about giving some advice for roll spamming (particularly in that Mario fight). You should try to chase them with your DB, grab/pivot grab, or your tilts, and anticipate where they will stop over where they are currently standing. That Mario really loved his rolls, so make him commit to a roll, and throw an option at him while he is mid way through it and it should catch him at the end of his roll (this is compensating the time it takes to throw out the move, not your personal reaction time that you'll need to figure out). The roll spam is a big mistake, especially with a character like Lucina who can punish such mistakes hard if she can read it right. You could even FSmash them when they finish rolling, but you are committing to a kill move, so read them carefully.

Last edited:

c4p1v4r4

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4270-1365-3495

This is a mixup I pulled off some weeks ago. A backwards jump over the opponent into SB.
This is so beautiful, so inspiring :')

I'm having troubles to actually break completely a shield after a short jump, the shield always get like really really small but no broke happen. Some advice (other than practice like crazy) to get the break?

Another thing I was thinking that would be nice if you could change your direction on air before you start charging the shield break, this can help against opponents who roll behind you while your falling. I have try this in my 3DS but I can't get used to do it and end using dancing blade instead. Someone have try to do this?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
This is so beautiful, so inspiring :')

I'm having troubles to actually break completely a shield after a short jump, the shield always get like really really small but no broke happen. Some advice (other than practice like crazy) to get the break?

Another thing I was thinking that would be nice if you could change your direction on air before you start charging the shield break, this can help against opponents who roll behind you while your falling. I have try this in my 3DS but I can't get used to do it and end using dancing blade instead. Someone have try to do this?
There is a technique called B-reversal that allows you to change the direction in the air for your special moves. Here's a video:

It starts at around min 1:42. Basically you want to perform neutral B in the air and, quickly after doing so, input the direction opposite from your current direction on the analog stick.

Last edited:

c4p1v4r4

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4270-1365-3495
There is a technique called B-reversal that allows you to change the direction in the air for your special moves. Here's a video:

It starts at around min 1:42. Basically you want to perform neutral B in the air and, quickly after doing so, input the direction opposite from your current direction on the analog stick.
Excellent, just what I needed. Thanks. Still a little tricky to get done, but easier than perfect pivoting. :laugh:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Got some new footage for Lucina ladies and gentlemen, and both matches are against :4robinm:

Win:

Loss:
Though I do believe my Lucina playlist is linked, so better to notify that the section has been updated xD

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
That was a learning experience for me @ EternalFlame EternalFlame . The DB2 pauses into other attacks work great since you are putting them slightly in the air with the upwards version of DB2 which can bait out airdodges? in order to punish. I do have some observations though. Basically, two that stood out. First of all, you run a lot. And you got punished for it quite a bit from the Robin's Smash attacks. The other thing that stood out was that in the first match you tried to catch the opponent off stage trying to bair him against the stage for the kill. You missed close to all of those. For that you gave up a more advantageous position and placed yourself in a riskier one. I would measure the risk-reward of using such out of stage option depending on how the game looks in each instance. If your opponent already has a lot of percentage it is, in my opinion, better to take the safer option. The other thing that I noticed was that in one instance Im sure you clearly saw your opponent charging the Smash attack and you tried to rush a punish and missed because of that. In that case you could have waited out the attack, walk up, and punish him in his recovery frames. Overall, some great Lucina execution and I learned a lot of things that I could add to my own game.

Duet

Smash Cadet
NNID
requiemlacrimosa
That was a learning experience for me @ EternalFlame EternalFlame . The DB2 pauses into other attacks work great since you are putting them slightly in the air with the upwards version of DB2 which can bait out airdodges? in order to punish. I do have some observations though. Basically, two that stood out. First of all, you run a lot. And you got punished for it quite a bit from the Robin's Smash attacks. The other thing that stood out was that in the first match you tried to catch the opponent off stage trying to bair him against the stage for the kill. You missed close to all of those. For that you gave up a more advantageous position and placed yourself in a riskier one. I would measure the risk-reward of using such out of stage option depending on how the game looks in each instance. If your opponent already has a lot of percentage it is, in my opinion, better to take the safer option. The other thing that I noticed was that in one instance Im sure you clearly saw your opponent charging the Smash attack and you tried to rush a punish and missed because of that. In that case you could have waited out the attack, walk up, and punish him in his recovery frames. Overall, some great Lucina execution and I learned a lot of things that I could add to my own game.

His video description says that he was practicing trying to implement dash dancing to his game, so that may be why he was running so much. I have been trying to do the same thing, but I can only really manage to get it done in practice matches and I go back into turtle mode against anyone that is remotely difficult. Keep on keeping on, so I can come to you and ask for advice once you get it figured out :)

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
His video description says that he was practicing trying to implement dash dancing to his game, so that may be why he was running so much. I have been trying to do the same thing, but I can only really manage to get it done in practice matches and I go back into turtle mode against anyone that is remotely difficult. Keep on keeping on, so I can come to you and ask for advice once you get it figured out :)
Ah I see, I watched it from my phone so I did not get the chance to see the video description.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Oh yeah, a lot of my running around was trying to get Dash dancing down to a tee while fighting xD So I needlessly ran into danger and got smacked for it. Though if you see me going straight for the enemy, I'm usually going for a Power Shield > something, since I know my opponent will try something. If they don't do something, I can jump cancel it and put myself back at neutral and start again. Its either that or I run to shield a move > jump cancel FAir. Since we have so many options out of shield and stuff, I try to treat it like SF 3rd Strike and parry everything I can and retaliate whenever I think I can. It does result in mistiming the shields and unfortunately Dash dancing messes with the timing as well, since it's one other thing to think of xD Also, even if you power shield the smashes, Robin has lingering hitboxes after the initial hit, which does throw me off a bit at points (particularly DSmash which is 1 for sword hit and 1 for the traveling electricity). I love to power shield a little too much xD It depends on the player when I determine the risk behind something; I've fought that particular player since the 3DS version came out, so what seems risky isn't so much for me when I know how he thinks (just as he knows my plans). So I go for them, and sometimes I get punished, other times I land some sweet comebacks. My playstyle is quite risky I can admit, but the way of passive agressive style is play either agro or defensive till something favourable shows up from your opponent's reactions, then exploit it till victory or defeat xD

As for the offstage BAiring, I know I can hit Robin and stage spike him mid recovery, so I kept going for it xD Really, being on the ledge for me isn't scary, so I don't mind going for stuff like this since I can usually get back on without too much grief. Besides, if I don't practice them now, there may be a time I'll need them and I can't deliver xD I'm willing to lose matches as long as I can learn to do the stuff I go for with a bit more efficiency each time I go for them (plus I have gotten those stage spikes repeatedly before, but I don't show those matches since those were one sided d :)

As for the DB2 up version, that's essentially the ground DB setup I wrote on my guide (Emblem Lord can back up this one, since he's also written a bit on it on his guide too). That small lift is the key to getting the setup to work, as your opponent's next move will determine if they get hurt more or not. Whether your opponent hesitates, throws a bad aerial out, or commits to an air dodge, it gives the opportunity to make them pay for it dearly with tilts, grabs, even smashes. Best thing is that the setups flow into one another, so they're almost like a combo if you can get them all in one go.

Also, glad to hear it helped your game out in some way xD

Top Bottom