• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

D

Deleted member

I'm surprised that the television show is explicitly barred from this round considering how Super Smash Bros. sometimes references it. (Jigglypuff is famous for singing because of the show, and Lucario uses human language like in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, for example.)

Hmm... I think I sense a loophole in this rule. Normally, I'd ask about it first, but the idea this stage is using is too good to not use simply because the stage wouldn't count for the contest and I think the stage design itself turned out to be really, really good.

This stage is my entry unless it's vetoed by psb123. (Which it probably will be) If so, I'll make a different one.

Name: Interdream Zone

Game: Pokémon Dream Radar

(Catching a Pokémon in the Interdream Zone)

Inspiration: The Interdream Zone is a dimension between dreams and reality. It is depicted in Pokémon Dream Radar as the world around you, the person reading this text, via the 3DS's Augmented Reality technology. (Now you know why I picked this. It's a fictional location from a Handheld game, but it looks like the real world like Pokémon Go.) Pokémon sometimes slip into the Interdream Zone from other dimensions, but Professor Burnet's Beam can be used to pull them back into the real world.

(A Cubchoo preparing to head to the Island of Dreams in the Dream World in the game "Pokémon Dream World"

While the regular Pokémon games are of course the "reality" that Professor Burnet refers to when she describes the location of the Interdream Zone, there is also a dream world in the context of Pokémon, the Dream World. The Dream World is the location where Pokémon Dream World took place. (It has since been shut down) Players could send their Pokémon to sleep from their games of Black, White, Black 2, or White 2, and then they used their real life PCs to play with their Pokémon inside the Dream World.

I think everyone can see where this is going....

(Sprite of a PC from Pokémon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2)

Aesthetics: Interdream Zone (the stage) takes place on a wooden desk in a room with white walls. (Much like Distant Planet and Living Room, everyone is very small compared to their surroundings.) On that desk, there is a computer that looks like a computer from Pokémon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2. On that computer, Pokémon Dream World is being played. One of the following Pokémon is chosen at random.
  • Munna
  • Musharna
  • Snorlax
  • Slakoth
  • Komala (Yes, it didn't exist at the time but it's so heavily associated with sleep that the new art needed would be justified.)
(In this write up, the Pokémon chosen is Munna in order to prevent confusion. This stage is very complex so I can't afford any confusion!)

Munna stands at the rainbow bridge leading to the Island of Dreams when the fight starts. It crosses the bridge 4 seconds after the fight starts. Munna ends up in a random area of the Island of Dreams. While it's in the area, Munna will meet some of the Pokémon native to that part of the Island of Dreams. (Don't worry, there aren't any minigames in this stage) (Unlike in the original game, Munna is always on screen) Munna will be with that Pokémon for 10-20 seconds before moving on to the next Pokémon. After a minute, Munna will move on to another random area of the Island of Dreams. The areas are:

• Pleasant Forest

• Sparkling Sea

• Dream Park

• Icy Cave

• Spooky Manor

The Pokémon in each of these areas are all capable of being summoned in the current Smash Bros. game by the Poké Ball item excluding Legendary Pokémon, Mythical Pokémon, Ultra Beasts, and Snorlax (he can be the chosen Pokémon). Why? We'll be getting to that. But since the Poké Ball Pokémon are different for each Smash Bros. game, I can only provide an example as to where each Pokémon will be located using Smash for 3DS's and Wii U's Pokémon.

• Pleasant Forest
    • Spewpa
    • Snivy
    • Bellossom
    • Chespin
    • Gogoat
    • Fletchling
    • Dedenne
  • Sparkling Sea
    • Goldeen
    • Staryu
    • Oshawott
  • Dream Park
    • Eevee
    • Meowth
    • Togepi
    • Swirlix
  • Icy Cave
    • Abomasnow
    • Electrode
    • Metagross
  • Spooky Manor
    • Gardevoir
    • Zoroark
    • Fennekin
    • Inkay
(Every area of the Island of Dreams would be here if I could include it. However, the Pokémon distribution of Smash for 3DS and Wii U only really allows for this set of areas. Sorry, Windswept Sky and Rugged Mountain.)

If playing a timed match, Munna will go to the Tree of Dreams during the last 40 seconds, where it can meet Pokémon from any part of the Island of Dreams.

(The majestic Tree of Dreams at the end of the Island of Dreams)

This stage is literally using the exact same art from Pokémon Dream World, so no new assets would be required except for Komala and other Pokémon from Sun and Moon. (While the Pokémon Dream World did not continue into X and Y, the Global Link artwork made for every Pokémon from those games is very close to the Dream World art and thus will be substituted in for those Pokémon)

Let's get back to the actual stage, the Interdream Zone. (Talk about a long tangent! It's very important though....) There is a black mouse for the PC on the right side of the table on top of a red mousepad. The mouse acts as a platform. A closed Pikachu New 2DS XL sits vertically on the left side of the table, serving as another platform. Its face is facing the screen. (And yes, there are no floating platforms on this stage. This is supposed to be somewhat reflective of reality! Things don't float just to facilitate gameplay!)

Well, some things do float. Pink Dream Clouds (they're 3/4 the size of a battlefield platform) float across the stage at times, and these tie into the Interdream Zone's main mechanic.

(A pile of Pink Dream Clouds, being harvested for Dream Orbs)

There are 2 windows in the back of the room where the sky and some trees can be seen. A brown bookcase in the background off to the left of the table contains several stacks of Pokémon Trading Cards, as well as a Game Boy Color, a Game Boy Advance, a Nintendo DS Lite, a Nintendo Switch, and a Pokéwalker. A poster of Ash Ketchum and his Pikachu is on the right of the back wall.

Stage Geometry: The table is the main platform. It is completely solid so it can't be passed through. Players can go under it, as the 2D plane the fighting takes places is behind the front legs of the table. It is about 1 and 1/2 the size of Final Destination.

A mouse is on the right side of the table, (though not quite at the ledge) and it sits on top of a mousepad. The mouse is a curved solid platform jutting out from the table, (meaning a character can walk onto the mouse from the table. but the mousepad is not a platform at all. The mousepad is non-standard terrain though, and increases the traction of characters on it. The mouse is the length of a Battlefield platform and is a wee bit taller than Bowser, and the mousepad is 1 and 1/4 the size of a Battlefield platform.

(The stage geometry of the Interdream Zone. Brown is the table, red is the mousepad, black is the mouse and yellow is the 2DS XL. The pink lines... we'll get to that.)

On the left side of the table there is a Pikachu New 2DS XL. (again, not quite at the ledge) Its face faces the screen, so it's about a Bowser and a half tall. It's a little wider than the mouse, and it can't be grabbed.

There's nothing special about the blast lines.

Mechanics: Notice those pink lines on the stage geometry? Pink Dream Clouds (they're 3/4 the size of a battlefield platform) drift across the screen at those altitudes. (They go pretty slowly too, so if players are trying to reach the clouds, they'll always get them.) (For those without the image, there are 4 lines below the stage at varying heights, and 7 lines above the table.) The clouds can go through the mouse and 2DS XL if necessary. The clouds appear in random numbers, at random times and from random directions. (Although there will always be at least 3 clouds per 10 seconds, and they're more likely to show up above the stage) There can even be multiple clouds at one altitude at the same time.

(I know this is the same image from before. But this post is long and I need to call attention to the Dream Orbs)

So what happens when a character touches a Pink Dream Cloud? The cloud bursts into a set of 3-5 Dream Orbs. The Dream Orbs come in one of 4 different colors, chosen at random. (From most to least likely: Pink, Green, Orange, and Blue) Finally, the character who broke the cloud regains access to a double jump. (This doesn't override attacks in progress or helplessness. Those clauses combined also mean that using an regular Up Special to hit a Dream Cloud just leads to the character becoming helpless when the attack ends. Dream Clouds will also not override the special state Sonic is in after using Spring Jump, which keeps him from double jumping or using special moves until he lands) This helps the character that struck the Dream Cloud collect the Dream Orbs or assist them in recovery when they are off stage.

The Dream Orbs are collected upon being touched and are tallied below their damage meter. (Below any other things there like Little Mac's Power Meter or the coin tally in Coin Battles) The tally has a pink Dream Orb icon next to it. Each Dream Orb has a different value:

• Pink - 1
  • Green - 2
  • Orange - 3
  • Blue - 5
Once a character has 20 or more points worth of Dream Orbs, something very special will happen. (Remember that tangent about the Pokémon Dream World in the Aesthetics section? It's relevant now!) The character will lose 20 points worth of Dream Orbs and the Pokémon that Munna is meeting at the time will be enveloped in an orb of light. That light will pop out of the computer screen (The Dream World) and slip into the Interdream Zone! The orb will float onto the table at or below the character who triggered the event before disappearing. The orb leaves behind the Pokémon from the Dream World, now in full 3D and ready to help its summoner by using its attack in Smash Bros.! (Hence why the Pokémon in the Dream World are limited only to those that can be used via Poké Ball in Smash Bros.) Munna will move on to the next Pokémon when this happens. Should a character get 20 or more points worth of Dream Orbs while Munna is moving between Pokémon, they will have to wait until Munna arrives at the next Pokémon. If 20 or more points worth of Dream Orbs are earned by 2 or more players at the same time, the character who gets the Pokémon from the Dream World will be chosen at random.

On this stage, all Poké Ball/Dream World Pokémon are enveloped in a ball of light instead of disappearing when their time runs out. The ball of light will take the Pokémon off of the stage.

Extra Stuff: This stage is unlocked by completing an event match involving Jigglypuff and putting foes to sleep

As a small reference, If Darkrai is summoned by a Poké/ Master Ball, the computer screen will turn off until he leaves due to his ability, Bad Dreams. During this, no one can get Pokémon from the Dream World, although Munna's timers continue to run and things will still happen in the Dream World.

This stage is not playable in 8-Player Smash. There's just too much stuff going on.

In Omega Form, the mouse and 2DS XL move into the background, and Dream Clouds never spawn. The Dream Orb tally disappears as well. The mousepad stays though, to act as the reverse of the Omega form of The Great Cave Offensive.

When playing in Omega Form using 8-Player Smash, the computer screen only shows a static image of the Tree of Dreams.

(This stage was originally meant to just be a joke stage pointing out the loophole in the rules I found and now look where it ended up. I'm pretty proud of it. Surprisingly, I think it's easier and more fun to make a stage based on an abstract idea when compared to basing it directly off a game.)

Changelog:

3/5/18: Added Unlock condition
Despite the use of the real world objects and such, this does take inspiration from a feature of the system. Not to mention it does involve the Pokemon themselves and does actually transition to locations that if not directly from Black and White are still very closely tied to them.

This stage is eligible for the contest.

Circuit_Breaker_64

Smash Rookie

Ecruteak City

Game of Origin: Pokemon Gen II (G,S,C,HG,SS)

Desc. : an old-fashioned town located in the Johto Region, it was stated in Pokemon history that the Brass Tower was burning to the ground. Many watched while others were heartbroken, three unknown beasts were said to have remained in that building when it had been scorched to near nothing, these Pokemon were revived however, by the legendary Pokemon Ho-Oh, & were resurrected to become the three legendary beasts. Suicune, Entei, & Raikou

Gimmicks & Hazards: This stage will have a day & night cycle similar to Lumiose City in Smash Bros 3DS, though this time, a fog will engulf the city during the night time, leaving some parts of the stage unseeable. Occasionally, one of the three legendary beasts will rise on top of the Brass Tower & let out its signature cry. Each one will do different things, Raikou will show up when a lightning bolt hits Brass Tower. It'll use thunder & summon a lightning bolt that strikes the middle of the stage & then the left & right, very quickly. Suicune will appear when a gust of icy wind appears on Brass Tower, it'll use Aurora Beam & freeze the lower half of the stage, once its left, the lower half will remain frozen & the lower half will turn into Ice-Physics. Lastly, Entei will pop up when a flaming ball hits Brass Tower, it'll pounce onto the stage & use Fire Spin, anyone caught in it will be trapped & dealt with a lot of damage.

Unlockable?:
Yes, to unlock you have to play 10 Smash matches with Pikachu or Charizard & win all of them

Extra Stuff:
Possible Layout: It will take place on ground level & three platforms, the three platforms will be two short buildings & the gym being bigger & longer than the two. The Brass Tower will be in the back & various Johto Pokemon will peek their heads out behind the corners & watch the match.

Music: (These are all from Pokemon G,S,C,HG,SS)
Ecruteak City: https://youtu.be/4MNAktk9ei8?list=PLD14983C994B0F7C2
Vs. Legendary Beasts: https://youtu.be/exG220Mur04?list=PLD14983C994B0F7C2
Tin Tower: https://youtu.be/HA9Ws-_iCEw?list=PLD14983C994B0F7C2
Vs. Red: https://youtu.be/lWHgMcIOsuw
National Park: https://youtu.be/2XjouKSkSeM
Ilex Forest: https://youtu.be/TWrq8rY47Oo
Eusine's Theme: https://youtu.be/M1WgYVFgvN8
Lake Of Rage: https://youtu.be/uaxTSeZAhI8
Dragon's Den: https://youtu.be/91qulbGHLxE
Kimono Girls: https://youtu.be/UL6rmF2q8z4

D

Deleted member

The poll to decide Round 5 is now up. Our new option for voting this time is stages from the Final Fantasy series. Most of that is pretty self explanatory but there is one thing I want to clarify. And that is that all Final Fantasy games are allowed regardless of whether or not they've been on a Nintendo Platform.

The rule as stated by Sakurai is that for a 3rd Party character to be chosen they have to have originated from a video game and they have to have been on a Nintendo System. That last one is something very debatable for Cloud but he made it in anyway.

The reason why they allowed yet hasn't been officially stated as far as I know but my theory is that while Cloud hasn't done a lot on Nintendo Platforms Final Fantasy has. So Cloud was allowed since he is a Final Fantasy Character.

Stages are the same deal for this contest. Want to pick a stage from a Final Fantasy game like 15 or Dissidia that hasn't been on a Nintendo System? Go right ahead.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The poll to decide Round 5 is now up. Our new option for voting this time is stages from the Final Fantasy series. Most of that is pretty self explanatory but there is one thing I want to clarify. And that is that all Final Fantasy games are allowed regardless of whether or not they've been on a Nintendo Platform.

The rule as stated by Sakurai is that for a 3rd Party character to be chosen they have to have originated from a video game and they have to have been on a Nintendo System. That last one is something very debatable for Cloud but he made it in anyway.

The reason why they allowed yet hasn't been officially stated as far as I know but my theory is that while Cloud hasn't done a lot on Nintendo Platforms Final Fantasy has. So Cloud was allowed since he is a Final Fantasy Character.

Stages are the same deal for this contest. Want to pick a stage from a Final Fantasy game like 15 or Dissidia that hasn't been on a Nintendo System? Go right ahead.
I was all like "Oof Final Fantasy would be hard" because I've never really been a fan but then I came up with a glorious idea. Might not be the stage next round but... When it inevitably comes, I got something glorious

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Okay guys. I'm calling it here for voting on Round 4. We're still waiting on grades for Round 3 which hopefully won't take much longer.
Hey- wanted to follow up on this since the Pokemon round is going to end tomorrow. I know we're probably all frothing about Smash Switch tho so I understand lol

D

Deleted member

Hey- wanted to follow up on this since the Pokemon round is going to end tomorrow. I know we're probably all frothing about Smash Switch tho so I understand lol
3 of the 5 judges have submitted their grades. The other two have yet to do so for reasons I don’t know. I’ve let them know a few times now that I need them submitted but it hasn’t happened yet.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
3 of the 5 judges have submitted their grades. The other two have yet to do so for reasons I don’t know. I’ve let them know a few times now that I need them submitted but it hasn’t happened yet.
rip

D

Deleted member

Alright guys. Round 4 is officially closed. Next Monday will begin Round 5 which is currently looking like it will be Retro Stages. In the meantime, I'm going to really be pushing for the grades of rounds 3 & 4 to come in.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Ah, dang, just missed the deadline for round 4... ah well, guess I'll get ready for round 5 then!

D

Deleted member

Ah, dang, just missed the deadline for round 4... ah well, guess I'll get ready for round 5 then!
You can always submit any ideas you had for Round 4 (or earlier) for fun if you so wish. In any case, welcome to the contest :)

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
You can always submit any ideas you had for Round 4 (or earlier) for fun if you so wish. In any case, welcome to the contest :)
Thank you! I didn't have any ideas in particular for the other rounds, but I had a lot of fun in the original contests! Hopefully this will be just as fun!

Salcan

Smash Rookie
What date is the cut-off for being considered "retro" in the context of this contest?

D

Deleted member

What date is the cut-off for being considered "retro" in the context of this contest?
Usually whenever people talk about Retro for a character in Smash Bros. they're talking about smaller Nintendo characters on the NES and sometimes the Game Boy.

We'll be rolling with something similar here. Home Console Wise, while systems like the N64 could most certainly be considered Retro at this point anything past the Super Nintendo will not be allowed. Handheld wise, Game Boy Advance and beyond is not allowed (even though the GBA can easily be considered Retro at this point).

And Nintendo Characters only. No 3rd Parties allowed.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 3 Grades!!!!!

Finally, this took way too long and even now the most recently recruited judge of Diddy Kong still hasn't submitted his. I've pulled the plug on the wait though. And also revoking Diddy Kong's Status as a judge. Who will be the new 5th one to take his place? Well.....nobody. This officially marks 3 rounds in a row where we've had to settle for 4 judges and honestly it's been working well enough. So going forward the judges will just be me, 8-bit Man, Oddball, and Cosmic77.

Now then, let's get this winner announced at long last.

psb123's grades:

Cephalon HQ by Kevandre:

Iconic Status: 4/5

Final Bosses tend to stick out pretty well most of the time. This is a relatively newer game, and single player isn't the top draw of Splatoon in the first place, but it shouldn't be too hard to recognize.

Originality: 10/10

Even though it's got the same platform layout as Battlefield I don't think that's worth taking off any points because of all the other stuff that happens. The arena switching between rails is pretty cool and the boss hazard is incorporated in a way I haven't seen too many ideas of.

Playability: 8/10

The boss hazard sounds pretty reasonable all in all, though I do see a little concern about one of it's attacks catching players off guard. But the bigger deal to me is the rail hopping the stage does. It's not something I would remove, but trying to recover to the stage only for it to jump away from you is by nature something that, while rare, wouldn't be pleasant.

Overall Score: 22/25

Sky Arena by GolisoPower:

The arena of the final confrontation of the fighting game standard arcade mode in ARMS. Not worth full points, but it still sticks out pretty well.

Originality: 7/10

The torches give originality a nice touch. And I like the element of previously played games being displayed on a screen in the background. But other than that it just sounds like a small piece of Boxing Ring, specifically the ring itself, placed over a bottomless pit.

Playability: 6/10

Apart from the torches this stage seems like a pretty bare bones and un-interesting place to fight on. The torches themselves also sound like they'd be too powerful depending on their placement. And to be honest, I'm not sure exactly where that placement is supposed to be.

Overall Score: 17/25

Spring Stadium by Russell_SSB:

Iconic Status: 5/5

Due to being Spring Man's home stage in ARMS people assume that this will just be the ARMS stage in Smash. Which does make sense given it's the home stage of the Playable rep in Smash and face of the source game.

The stage's layout makes it sound a lot like Coliseum (the Fire Emblem Stage). Which is a stage that I consider pretty uneventful since it's just level ground with platforms occasionally showing up. The Springs at the edges of the stage help your idea out, but the lack of platforms for a stage that sounds as wide as this one hinder it.

Playability: 7/10

Fire Emblem's Coliseum Stage is an arena that I have two issues with on playability. The first is the lack of platforms for the stages width as mentioned before. The other is how easy it is to just camp at the edge of the stage and try to throw opponents out of bounds.

The first of these problems carries over into this idea. The 2nd one however does not thanks to the springs bouncing people at the edge. But the combo's the springs let you pull off when bouncing from them sound like they mess with the gameplay formula too much.

Overall Score: 19/25

Inkblot Art Academy by Circuit_Breaker_64:

While Turf War arenas that stick out like a sore thumb from the rest are rare they do still exist. This one unfortunately doesn't sound like one of them. But it is still a Turf War arena. Which by nature can be pretty recognizable.

Originality: 8/10

This one was tough one to figure out the score for. At first I wasn't too thrilled with the Ink as a stage hazard since I'm fairly confident that covering the stage in Ink will be part of a playable Inklings gameplay.

Using it as a stage hazard would feel pretty lazy if that was the case. And the breakable structures sounding like they were copy/pasted from Luigi's Mansion didn't help things.

What raised my score in the end was the fact that we don't actually know if a playable Inkling would have that kind of gameplay gimmick. And to be honest even if it did I'm sure there are enough Ink colors to separate the stage hazard from any color palettes of the Inkling.

Playability: 9/10

My only issue here is the lack of clarification on how often the Ink hazards would show up. But even going off the assumption that they'd be pretty frequent, it still doesn't sound like too big a hindrance.

Overall Score: 21/25

Marooner's Bay by Peridot GX:

If memory serves correctly people were hyped enough for the Salmon Run mode to where it should be pretty notable. And with this being 1 of only 2 stages available for the mode at launch it's bound to stick out for that alone.

This merges together swimming, the rising liquid of stages like brinstar, and a variety of boss hazards together in such a good way that I don't see any reason to knock off any points here. Even if we have seen a few elements in this stage before.

There are a couple of boss hazards here that I'm concerned would interfere with the fight too much. But that's the only thing I'm worried about and even then I've seen worse.

Overall Score: 23/25

The Octogalaxy by Salcan:

The single player mode of Splatoon 2 in general doesn't stick out as much as the multiplayer. But it did offer some cool elements with the grind rails. This does admittedly seem like it would stick out more for the rails rather than the location but enough people should be able to remember it.

Now while it's true that Kevandre beat you to incorporating rails into their idea his stage really used it a more standard stage element type of way. You've incorporated them into being a flat out new gameplay mechanic which is honestly all this stage needs to get a perfect originality score.

The abundance of rails is bound to at the very least take some getting used to for some people. But I think you did a fantastic job striking a balance between rails and regular platforms. I was admittedly concerned that where wouldn't be enough regular footing in this stage. Maybe it could stand to have a little more but I do think there is a sufficient amount of ground to fight on. And the placement of the rails and platforms compliment each other very well.

Overall Score: 23/25

Cosmic77's Grades:

"Cephalon HQ" by Kevandre:

Iconic Status: 2/5

While you did choose a memorable scene from Splatoon 2, final boss fights from newer games are never going to be iconic. I think you should have went with a generic turf war stage for a Splatoon stage.

I liked the idea of the giant fists being launched into the stage, and the ink rails were a nice touch. However, I don't feel like this stage represents the Splatoon series like it should. Seems like the stage is nothing more than a cinematic of the final boss fight with only one gimmick that interacts with the fighters. I really would've liked to have seen more of an emphasis on ink.

Perhaps Ink Missiles could occasionally be launched onto the platforms and coat them with ink?

Besides the giant fists, I can't see anything in this stage posing a huge problem. I do have some questions about the functionality of the ink rails though. They seem like an easy way to get early KOs on players.

Overall Score: 17/25

"Sky Arena" by GolisoPower:

Iconic Status: 3/5

Not the best stage you could've picked from ARMS, but at least it's available to play from the start.

Originality: 8/10

The flaming pillars were original, and Hedlok should spice up the battle. I can see players frantically running away every time someone grabs him.

My only complaint is that you didn't make use of the soccer ball explosive that's present in practically every ARMS match.

Playability: 7/10

Hedlok deals more damage than I'd like, but the time limit prevents him from being exploited too much. I'd also argue that the flaming pillars shouldn't cause damage to players. Just having them function in a way similar to the Luigi's Mansion pillars (where their destruction causes an extra platform to be destroyed) would be enough for me.

Overall Score: 18/25

"Spring Stadium" by Russell_SSB:

Easily the most iconic stage from ARMS.

Not a whole lot going on in this stage, but since this was essentially the first stage in ARMS, I think that's not entirely a bad thing. The use of the trampolines on the side of the stage was different. Don't think that's ever been used before.

Although again, I really would've like to have seen that soccer ball explosive. Maybe a little more detail on the background too (will the audience have special hats of ARMS characters?).

Playability: 4/10

Those trampolines really have me confused. I understand that you were trying to carry over the same mechanic used in ARMS, but I have no idea how that move could work in Smash unless the character doing it is actually from ARMS himself. Seems like an unpolished idea.

However, nothing else in your stage poses an issue.

Overall Score 16/25

"Inkblot Art Academy" by Circuit_Breaker_64:

Ehhhh... Not the stage I would've picked. However, it WAS one of the original stages in Splatoon 2, so it should be more iconic by comparison.

The use of collapsible platforms wasn't new by any means. However, I really liked the use of the Inklings having a turf war during the match. I feel like that really captures the essence of Splatoon. Not sure if that was your intended goal, but it helped win me over. The ink causing players to slip and slide was also a nice detail.

Not the most creative stage gimmicks, but there really isn't anything that's too unreasonable. The ink could get annoying, but it's not really that big of a deal if it's just a casual game of Smash.

Overall Score: 20/25

"Marooner's Bay" by Peridot GX:

Grading this stage on iconicness was hard. I don't think it represents the Splatoon series very well, but I think it represents Splatoon 2 fantastically.

For the sake of your score, let's just assume that this is one of the two Splatoon stages getting in Smash, and that the first stage was something more iconic like a turf war stage.

Well, this stage is certainly original. The Salmonids, the tide, the time of day changing the type of enemies that spawn: they're all different features from Salmon Run that you managed to carry over and integrate into Smash. Very impressive.

Playability: 6/10

I think you stayed true to Salmon Run a little too much. Just like the original, this stage is a hot mess of confusion. With so many different enemies running around, it'll be hard to focus on your REAL opponents.

Overall Score: 21/25

"The Octogalaxy" by Salcan:

I was teetering back and forth between giving you a "3" or a "4". This place isn't nearly as iconic as a turf war stage or even some of the other Octo Canyon stages. However, I still think people would be able to recognize the visuals and remember similar areas from the original Splatoon.

Having a large stage that focuses on Ride Rails is creative. I can't give you full credit for the idea though, since an earlier contestant already implemented Ride Rails as a major component of his stage.

Nice and big with plenty of area to fight. I wish you would've added fewer Ride Rails though, as players will probably abuse them to camp. The platforms are a little oddly placed, but I don't think I should deduct points for that, especially since you were generous enough to provide a visual.

Overall Score: 20/25

8-bit Man's Grades:

Cephalon HQ

Iconic Status

3/5

While I found the fight memorable and the squid sister performance excellent, what brought this score down was the genericness of the arena itself, not being that different of the others

Originality

8 / 10

While the layout is similar to Battlefield, having floating platforms stick out further that the main platform differs it nicely. The perspective change seems pretty cool, flipping the side the characters are on if I understand it correctly. The boss while simple is neat since you fight a boss in the background. Also I like the song choices

Playabilty

7 / 10

The boss doesn't sound that bad or hard to deal with, and the flip just sounds interesting. Overall I think I'd enjoy playing on the stage

Sky Arena

Iconic Status

4 / 5

The final showdown of ARMS. Its probably the only stage where anything significant happens

Originality

9 / 10

You took advantage of the stage in a good way. Making the fire a hazard was smart and adds something to the stage. Hedlok while sounds annoying is unique. Also the replays in the background is an interesting touch

Playabilty

6 / 10

Hedlok sounds annoying. Really annoying. But otherwise it sounds alright

Spring Stadium

Iconic Status

5 /5

The most shown off stage in promotion I think and signature stage of the main character. It's an obvious choice for stage

Originality

7 / 10

Seems pretty copy paste from the original game. Would have liked some detail on location of the audience in regards to the playing field but overwise it sounds alright, just a bit similar to Boxing Ring

Functionality

7 / 10

Again, would have liked details on the audience location since I can't tell if it's a walk off or drop off but overall again, the main part sounds simple and fun.

Inkblot Art Academy

Iconic status

2 / 5

To me, this is just another stage, nothing really of note to it for me. Just your typical stage

Originality

5 / 10

Conflicting information here, but I like the turf war going on and breakable sculptures. But you don't sound very definitive

Functionality

4 / 10

Arena Ferox and Reset Bomb have almost nothing in common and I don't see how they'd relate to this, the ink sounds annoying regardless of what you decide it does. I assume the layout is based on the plain from sculpture to sculpture which sounds alright but you mentioned Arena Ferox and Reset Bomb and just confused me. And the tower sounds like a pain to fight around honesty

Marooners Bay

Iconic Status

3 / 5

While Salmon Run was a cool new mode, I don't think any of its locations were memorable. But I guess this is as good as any

Originality

10 / 10

I love the tide change and the lifts I think will make the two separate fighting areas more fun and easier to move on. The bosses sound unique to

Functionality

6 / 10

Oh boy, guess what brought down this score. The bosses while unique sound really annoying, especially with their unorthodox killing methods. And only 15 seconds relief from when one bosses leave and another arrives. Everything else sounds fine and enjoyable but the bosses really bring down the score

Octogalaxy

Iconic Status

2 / 5

You saw this coming, it's just a generic location, maybe slightly more memorable than the average level

Originality

10 / 10

Introducing a new gameplay mechanic is bold. But I do love the implementation and layout of your stage. Although a pain to read

Playability

7 / 10

Big stages aren't going to earn you perfect scores, but it seems overall fun, maybe a few too many grindrails but it's hard to judge brand new concept

Oddball's Grades:

Kevandre's Cephelon HQ

Iconic Status: 1 of 5

It's based on the last boss of the sequel. That's hardly what you think of when you think Splatoon. ... I haven't ever seen the last boss of Splatton 2 before this.

Originality 9 of 10

It's an interesting and unique take on a boss fight and the way the platforms switch around is something I don't think I've seen before.

Playability 8 of 10

It actually seems like it could be a fun set up. The boss provides some interaction without getting in the way too much and the platform switching is likewise interesting without being a huge obstacle.

Overall 18 of 25

------

GolisoPower's Sky Arena

Iconic Status 2 of 5

It's an arena in Arms, and that's pretty much what the game is. I'm not sure this is the best arena, but it does look like it would represent the series.

Originality 6 of 10

The level itself feels a lot like Punch-out but with a few gimmicks. granted they are interesting gimmicks. I'm not fond of the way it's unlocked either.

Playability 5 of 10

The level itself really doesn't sound that interesting or exciting to me. The deal with getting those stretchy arms is what would make or break this for me, and it's hard to tell how fun that would be without actually being able to play it.

Overall 13 of 25

---

Russell_SSB's Spring Stadium

Iconic Status 5 of 5

This is pretty much exactly what i think of when I think of Arms.

Originality 2 of 10
The description of it just reads like a larger version of the Punch-Out stage minus the out of ring areas.

Playability 5 of 10

it's a big open area to fight in. While there isn't anything really wrong with that, there isn't anything to make it stand out and feel more fun either.

Overall 12 of 25

---

Circuit_breaker_64's Inkblot Art Academy

Iconic Status 4 of 5.

While the art academy itself doesn't feel necessary, the Turf War, and other details regarding the ink and how it affects play feel very much like what a Splatoon stage should feel like to me.

Originality

6 of 10

Most of the originality points here come from how the paint interacts with the characters. If I'm reading this right, the areas that are getting inkled continue to change as the battle goes on and there doesn't seem to be any indication you can tell the difference between "ice" ink and "banana peel" ink.

Playability 8 of 10

I loved the Arena Ferox and Reset Bomb Forest for all the different platforms and the variety of areas you could fight on. Adding some icy elements to that just seems to make it more frantic and fun.

Overall score 18 of 25.

----

PeridotGX's Marooner's Bay

Iconic Status 3 of 5.
It doesn't feel anything too special, but I don't feel as though there's anything wrong there their.

Originality 9 of 10

A nice level set up with lots of different changes that can affect the battles in ways that I feel safe in saying I haven't seen before.

Playability 6 of 10

But really, those details actually feel a bit too much for me. The level layout is fine. The propellers and tide make good changes, I just feel the boss takes away from this more than it adds.

Overall score 18 of 25
---

Scalcan's Octogalaxy

Iconic Status: 1 of 5
Space and rail grinding really isn't what i think of when I think Splatoon. I do think it looks cool, I just don't think it's iconic.

Originality 10 of 10

I'm not sure I can give you an 11 of ten legally. You've made a stage that uses an entirely new mechanic to play. That's originality right there.

Playability 8 of 10.

The grinding rails sounds fun, and the level layout seems varied and interesting. I'm a big fan of the larger stages myself and I feel this one uses that set up in interesting ways.

Overall Score 19 out of 25.

Total Scores:

Kevandre:
75 points

GolisoPower: 67 points

Russell_SSB: 66 points

Circuit_Breaker_64: 70 points

PeridotGX: 81 points

Salcan: 81 points

The Winner is.........

Ok no not really. We just have a two way tie for the winner.

Marooner's Bay by PeridotGX PeridotGX

AND
The Octogalaxy by S Salcan

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Congrats to our winners PeridotGX PeridotGX and S Salcan ! I'm glad we ended up with a tie, because both of you really deserved to win this round.

Also, thanks to everyone else who participated as well. All of you came up with some pretty crazy stages.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Usually whenever people talk about Retro for a character in Smash Bros. they're talking about smaller Nintendo characters on the NES and sometimes the Game Boy.

We'll be rolling with something similar here. Home Console Wise, while systems like the N64 could most certainly be considered Retro at this point anything past the Super Nintendo will not be allowed. Handheld wise, Game Boy Advance and beyond is not allowed (even though the GBA can easily be considered Retro at this point).

And Nintendo Characters only. No 3rd Parties allowed.
Okay, so talking retro now... Even if that would have fit in with an already-done theme? If I did a Retro stage based on a pre-64 Mario Platformer, that works?

Or if I did a stage based on Retro Studios games... :troll:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Okay, so talking retro now... Even if that would have fit in with an already-done theme? If I did a Retro stage based on a pre-64 Mario Platformer, that works?

Or if I did a stage based on Retro Studios games... :troll:
From what I understand, the only qualifications your stage needs is...

(1) It must come from a NES, SNES, or original GameBoy game (I'm guessing arcade and Game and Watch would work too).
(2) It must be inspired by a Nintendo game.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I didn't expect to win! Congrats to S Salcan and everyone else too!

I was worried just the tide stuff would make the stage too bland, like Mushroom Kingdom III was.

Also, for the retro round, can stages be made for games that came after the N64, but still on the older console? Like a Pokémon stage.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I didn't expect to win! Congrats to S Salcan and everyone else too!

I was worried just the tide stuff would make the stage too bland, like Mushroom Kingdom III was.

Also, for the retro round, can stages be made for games that came after the N64, but still on the older console? Like a Pokémon stage.
He said pre-GBA, so if you do something from Gen I or II you should be good, I think

D

Deleted member

Sorry about the initial lack of clarification on this. But usually when Retro characters are discussed they're from one-shot (occasionally more) games within the NES and Game Boy Library (and Super Nintendo for what we're counting here). Think characters like the Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt.

We're rolling with the same thing here meaning that mainstay series that have been running for years like Mario and Pokemon aren't allowed. We're sticking to more miscellaneous Retro games like, say, Balloon Fight.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Sorry about the initial lack of clarification on this. But usually when Retro characters are discussed they're from one-shot (occasionally more) games within the NES and Game Boy Library (and Super Nintendo for what we're counting here). Think characters like the Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt.

We're rolling with the same thing here meaning that mainstay series that have been running for years like Mario and Pokemon aren't allowed. We're sticking to more miscellaneous Retro games like, say, Balloon Fight.
I am very glad that I have email notifications turned on for this thread because I was just about to start work on a -NOTHING TO SEE HERE-

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

My stage is going between various Gameboy games (Like the SSB3DS Kirby stage, but with different games instead of parts of one). Is that legal? It's okay if it isn't, just wanting to be sure before rerouting to a different idea.

D

Deleted member

My stage is going between various Gameboy games (Like the SSB3DS Kirby stage, but with different games instead of parts of one). Is that legal? It's okay if it isn't, just wanting to be sure before rerouting to a different idea.
A stage going through a bunch of miscellaneous retro games is allowed.

Circuit_Breaker_64

Smash Rookie
I honestly forgot that Luigi's Mansion had those breaking platforms. I like their ideas a lot better though, especially Octogalaxy. That stage would look marvelous in Smash

Circuit_Breaker_64

Smash Rookie
From what I understand, the only qualifications your stage needs is...

(1) It must come from a NES, SNES, or original GameBoy game (I'm guessing arcade and Game and Watch would work too).
(2) It must be inspired by a Nintendo game.
Would they only have to originate from NES, SNES, & GB titles? I was thinking maybe GBA games would count as well

D

Deleted member

Would they only have to originate from NES, SNES, & GB titles? I was thinking maybe GBA games would count as well
GBA is not allowed. NES, Game Boy, Super Nintendo, and old stuff from things like Game & Watch, very old arcade machines, and things like the Sheriff from that one Atari game Miyamoto made. That's what's allowed.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Hey, I remember when I used to judge for this! Good times.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 5 to begin. Winning the poll at a whopping 11 votes, our 5th round is.........

Retro Games:

Ice Climbers, Duckt Hunt, R.O.B., The super old school one-shots from before the 3d era. This is where stages from games like theirs get their time to shine. So what exactly qualifies as Retro for this round?

1. NES, Super Nintendo, and Game Boy (plus Game Boy Color) only. Well.....technically really old Nintendo Arcade games from the NES era or before, and Atari games Nintendo has made like the one starring that Sheriff character Miyamoto made are allowed too. But anything released afterward will not be eligible.

2. Nintendo games only. No 3rd parties allowed.

3. Punch-Out and Pilotwings have received Modern Day games on the Wii and/or 3DS which their stages in Smash Wii U could very well have been based on. However most of those series' catalog comes from back in the day. So we're throwing them into this round for stage consideration. No Kid Icarus though. We'll be saving that one for another round.

4. Finally, the issue of older games in long running franchises. For the most part we'll be sticking to one-hit wonders of the Retro Era for this round. But say you want to submit a stage that goes through a bunch of old school games that does include a couple from the long runners. In this case, your idea will be allowed. Even if the stage scrolls through the well known stuff only as long it's obviously Retro you'll be alright. We're allowing this justification because Brawl's Retro stages came from Mario and DK with Mario Bros. and 75m (bleh) respectively.

I do want to avoid those kinds of Retro stages by themselves in this round to give more of a focus on the smaller guys. But I will be a little flexible

And with that, on March 12th 2018, Round 5 has begun. You have until March 16th to submit your entries.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
And so, like a whisper on the wind, I return to the Stage Contests.

And let me tell you, I'm glad to be here! Plenty of new faces to compete against, and an old friend/rival to boot! So let's kick things off with what may be one of my most intricate MSPaint drawings to date!

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Murasa... er, I mean Aosame Castle!

I spent way too much time on this. I even measured pixels from the game maps. Help me.

Name of Stage:
Aosame Castle

Game of Origin:
The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Famicom)

Description of Stage:
Aha! You thought this was going to be the titular Murasame Castle, didn't you? Well so did I! Then I found out that Murasame Castle looks like this. Which is cool, but… seriously, what am I supposed to do with that?

...I mean, I suppose I could have made a spooky haunted castle or something, but...

Well, at any rate, I instead went with the first castle in the game, Aosame Castle! Visually... well, just look at the pic, I put a lot of work into making it look just right! If you're confused, basically the stage takes place on the rooftops of the castle in question, with a bonus cross-section of two of the interior floors (think Luigi's Mansion).

The playable areas are marked in black and red (black is solid platforms, red is passable platforms). IE; From the lowest rooftop down is solid ground, while two upper layers of rooftops make up the passable platforms, with the first layer being split into a left and right platform. As for size, I’ve decided to take the Kevandre route and include a Mario for scale.

Gimmicks and Hazards of the Stage:
For the most part, the stage remains exactly as you see it. But, do you see those screens on the inside of the castle? Well, at random intervals (between 20 - 30 seconds), a ninja will poke his head out from behind one of those screens, and will immediately face in one of 8 random directions (Up, Down, Left, Right, and Diagonals). Shortly after he appears (5 seconds), he'll throw a shuriken in the direction he's facing. If that shuriken hits a player, it'll deal 5% damage and knock the player back slightly, so watch out!

Music:
The Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley (Super Smash Bros 4)
Castle Town (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
Shin Onigashima (Super Smash Bros Brawl)
Glory of Heracles (Super Smash Bros 4)
Boss 1 (Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword) (Super Smash Bros 4)

Welp, that’s all I’ve got! It's good to be back!

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Stage Name:

Game A

Origin:

Radar Mission

Description:

Radar Mission is a Nintendo-developed Game Boy game with two games: one that is like a sort of predecessor to Steel Diver, and the one I’ll be using, the one similar to the classic Battleship board game. The stage itself takes place on a Game Boy, similar to Dream Land in Smash 4. The difference is that this stage will have a game of Radar Mission playing in the background. The main platform itself is the Turn and Enemy counters (Or the Enemy Forces block in the picture provided), with the blast lines being at the edge of the Game Boy itself. Another difference between Dream Land and this stage is that the Game Boy screen itself is much larger and that this is not a side-scrolling stage.

Gimmicks and Hazards:

At the start of a battle, 5 ships will be randomly scattered on a 12x12 grid. Horizontal ships can serve as soft platforms while vertical ships can be used for wall-jumping. As the game goes on, enemy ship attacks will slowly be scattered across the grid. If a ship is targeted, players have 4 seconds to keep away from that ship until it is hit, damaging players 3 Purple Pikmin lengths nearby for 8% damage. If a ship has sunk, it will leave behind one final explosion before it truly sinks. The damage an explosion does is based on how many tiles a ship covers.

• The Patrol Boat is the smallest with 2 tiles of grid and deals 16% damage when exploding.

• The Destroyer covers 3 tiles and deals 19% damage when exploding.

• The Submarine covers 3 tiles, like the Destroyer, but only deals 17% damage when exploding.

• The Battleship covers 4 tiles and deals 23% damage when exploding.

• The Aircraft Carrier is the largest at 5 tiles and deals 28% damage when exploding.

If all ships are sunk before the battle ends, the game will transition to the next stage, where the ships are now placed in a different layout.

Unlockable:

Yes, use 500 explosive items over all.

Music:

Radar Mission Main Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB4nlSvZqww

Game A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTPnxavmyXk

Place Your Ships: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9eA8uo1uIc

Close to Victory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbmCRcGrZ4Y

A Lucky Shot!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSQxIsB7-OA

Close to Defeat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ7rCcnlJ58

Game B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcXM9K7p9OA

Complete Game Victory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdLpWMBuCfI

Multiplayer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ7Vxi0IQgo

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wanted to join in with Pokémon, but a week long power outage prevented me from doing so. Thank you, snowstorm. :p

But actually, I'll be joining this time...with a stage I made all the way back in 2011, after Smash 4 got announced!

That's right, a Mole Mania stage for none other than Muddy Mole.

Stage Name: Jinbe's Farm
Stage Icon: A cabbage.
Game of Origin: Mole Mania

Layout:

__u__-----____J____-----__u__
.........l_______________l.........

Description and Hazards:
Basically, it is a simple stage with walk off edges. The appearance would be based on an autumnal farm, with leaves gently falling in the background as the farmer, Jinbe, rakes. Based on my poorly shown layout, the top row of underscores are the basic ground of the stage. However, if you break through the plots of tilled land (marked as ---s) then an underground path opens up, connecting the two plots.

Jinbe (Marked as J) realizes what happened after a period of time, and comes to the foreground to fix the plots. If you get in his way, you get minor damage from his hoe.

Cabbages, marked as "u", can be hit with a smash attack to uproot them. If you push them underground, they explode, leaving behind a healing item. This is a reference to Mole Mania's gameplay. This angers Jinbe, who comes to the foreground and chases whoever hurt the cabbage with his hoe. If he hits you, you take 20% damage and a bit of knockback. Jinbe can be defeated pretty easily, however. He's just a farmer, after all. When defeated, he angrily returns to the background and starts to tend to his other crops.

Music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1GFp23dF6I Mole Mania - Title Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yf3g_THRw Mole Mania - Forest Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A80dmIbJhX0 Mole Mania - Beach Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdTWVfN7ma0 Mole Mania - Snow Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlc43JuTdCk Mole Mania - Pipe Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfDFstihFZY Mole Mania - Boss Battle Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTMW0XPZM1g Mole Mania - Final Boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vShfrlIQ6mA Mole Mania - Credits Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYr0MYUaF-0 Mario Kart Wii - Moo Moo Meadows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUoswjz79lo Wii Play - Charge! (SSBB Version)

(Apologies if the links no longer work, I literally copied my post from seven years ago, haha).

I don't have access to image editing software at the moment, so hopefully the text mockup suffices. Fun fact, literally everything here was prewritten, save for the subsection titles, despite having no idea this contest would be a thing in 2011 (obviously). Funny how it worked out!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
STEEP competition on this one already! I'll do my best.

Here's hoping you can even find this stage because it is:
The SNES Classic!

"So many games to choose from!"

The main idea of this stage is that it's based inside 2017's SNES Classic Mini console! When the stage first starts off, you're on these stationary platforms that are arranged just like above, with the background wizzing by all the titles that the SNES Classic has to offer. The stage remains pretty regular until it makes a selection, and it chooses between SIX Classic SNES titles to jump into.

EARTHBOUND

If the stage decides to boot up Earthbound, you're transported into the game at a spot very near the beginning of the game, on the outskirts of Onett, atop a mountain where a meteorite has struck the earth! The layout of the stage doesn't change much aside from the meteorite stuck in the ground in the center of the bottom platform. Touching it will do a bit of knock-up and 2% damage, so avoid it if you can! The SNES Classic will stay at this stage for a full 45 seconds before saving a save state and moving back to the main menu to choose another game to play, reverting back to its default stage layout.

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY

If the SNES decides to boot up Donkey Kong Country, the stage layout again remains the same, but with a slight difference. The floating platforms above become minecart rails, and minecarts will sometimes materialize on those rails! Jump inside one and the cart will shoot off to the opposite side of the platform! You don't want to be in the way of the cart, because it can launch you! Be careful as well to jump out of the cart before it careens off the side of the map!

SUPER MARIO WORLD

When you boot up Super Mario World, you end up in a Donut Plains level! The bottom platform becomes pipes (Though don't worry, there's no piranha plants or anything coming out of them). The floating platforms do become these ones that can break if they are hit though, so be careful on them! They function like Melee's Yoshi's Island blocks of the same flavor.

SUPER METROID

(Yes, I know I'm ripping myself off for this having used a similar level in the last contest for the Metroid round but it was perfect for this. I accept less points if necessary)

When you boot up Super Metroid, you find yourself in the overworld of Crateria! The walls prevent a player from getting launched to the sides of the stage (Unless someone hits one of the doors first and then launches you through them when they open!)

STAR FOX

When you boot up Star Fox, all three platforms change shape into Arwings, which are rounded rather than flat like the other flavors. In addition, the two floating platforms alternate up and down on either side, but will return to regular position before the game changes again.

LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST

(Let me tell you, games in this style are a pain to make stages out of their sprites)

I'll be real with you. I've never been much of a Zelda fan, so when I thought of what I knew about ALTTP, what pops out at me is rainy weather at night time and Link/his Uncle's house. So I placed the stage atop his house (That's what that platform is, the roof), with it raining. The rain has slicked the platforms though, so there is a very slight (But not game-breaking) ice-physics to this version of the stage. Yes, I may have lifted that idea from BOTW but still. Still Zelda.

And that's all of them! The stage chooses games at random, so it's not in any particular order. The only thing it doesn't do is the same game twice in a row.

Music:
The standard version of the stage does a similar thing that Smash 4's Mario Maker stage does, where the music changes depending on the game that you're currently playing on. In that default mix, these are the songs, playing when they are needed:
SNES Classic Menu Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMHaCT0Q9H4
Onett Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h66gq40szjk
Minecart Madness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPqxuebYQw
Athletic (Super Mario World) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjwhX0WqxXQ
Crateria Surface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wUKsr27iJo
Corneria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsOEGPLa1Z4
Rainy Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yar1O4oBTKE

These other songs are just other classic SNES themes that aren't represented in stage:
Mario Paint Medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjbKgFofiKM
Yoshi's Island: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgPaGjJ6Lxo
DKC2 Medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBY2b-641ps
MegaMan X Medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APNQghAQlzM
Kirby Superstar Medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzLbHv0sPqw
Mute City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixRUMwm43cA
Super Mario Kart Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHp2ezWWqV4

:)

Top Bottom