• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lock and Load! Yoshi's Stage Discussion - Discussing Lylat Cruise

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
SV is my favorite neutral. Ledge doesn't gay you, platform to cancel and camp with, still flat enough to CG. Ultimate stage lol. But ummm yo we necro'd this but have no direction atm. How's this thread gonna work?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I had something along the lines of the list looking like this.
- Advantages on Stage for Yoshi
- Disadvantages on Stage for Yoshi
- Who should be Taken here
- Who shouldn't be Taken here
- Summary

Basically what goodies we have on stages while at the same time disadvantages with the stage, Which characters are good/bad to take to whatever stage we're discussing. And than the summary once we're all done. Now here's where the Problem comes up... How should I make the summary for both this and the MU threads. Do I take only useful information...

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
isn't gashi doing character match ups? Also i really meant what we were talking about, as in how do we know what stage we're talking about and blah blah blah

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Check the OP... It literally shows "Discussing Yoshi's Island" Adding it to title now.

And about the MU's, He made the group/Thread that's now stickied but he keeps taking breaks so I decided to takeover for a bit and I made the Ike MU thread, once it's Wednesday i'll move on to the next character.

Sharky

Smash Master
when people think of us on yoshi's, they think of all the slope gimmicks and such. Personally I think that should just be a side-note for us there. The big plus for us is the space under the platform. It's the perfect stage control element.

Airborne

Smash Lord
The paragraph's below are just for off-stage and aerial antics.

In my experience with the slope tricks, the Waveland onto the stage as not proved as useful as people think it is; it merely is just a way to mix up your recovery, as well as get that dash grab on them when they have control of the middle.

The instant double jump and the edge-guarding potential with the slope tricks are what best support us on the outer portions of the stage. The instant double jump provides follow-ups for TRUE combos, kill set-ups, and sometimes another useful way to recover. The edge-guarding potential actually can intimidate smarter opponents just because we can glide off stage with any move of our choice. The best part about using the slope tricks for means of edge-guarding is that it gives us the one thing that we didn't have to be able to universally edge-guard in the first place: a means of returning to the ledge sooner. Due to our double jump's awkward properties, we're not able to cover as many options in a short enough time. Abusing the slope as if its our "Melee-ledge" will assist us in swatting the opponent away and quickly returning to the slope to do it again.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Check the OP... It literally shows "Discussing Yoshi's Island" Adding it to title now.

And about the MU's, He made the group/Thread that's now stickied but he keeps taking breaks so I decided to takeover for a bit and I made the Ike MU thread, once it's Wednesday i'll move on to the next character.
The last post in this thread was in 2010 so i assumed we would have moved on. and also you were like okay moving on from MK lets talk about Wario in one of those posts. So im lost as to how we discuss the stages. Get it?

Scatz

Smash Champion
To keep confusion, this thread should just be pure discussion on what works on stages and where/when placements benefit us. Character discussions should cover the stages against said characters.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980

My thread is basically the match up list/chart and the threads slush is makig are individual match up discussions.

As the new BBR MU chart came out, I just used all of it's MUs and used them, but I'm also gonna add MU summaries for each character in that thread as well, I just have been reeeeeeally busy with school lately, but once the school years over Ill have MUCH more time and I promise I'll do that.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
K, Lylat cruise.

Slope shenanigans are typically overrated. Not good for recovering, but the platform slopes are useful if you're trying to escape a juggle. The actual stage slopes are useful for edgeguarding tricks. But past that, I rarely use them.

Lylat is large and gives us space to run away and maneuver. This is good. It's also good to know that the center platform will not mess with CGs the large majority of the time. Only specific positions, combined with the larger tilts of the stage, will cause interference. However, the side platforms usually do mess with the CG, but we can Usmash through them/jump egg lay well with their height. We cannot Usmash through the center platform outside of the stage being tilted pretty far.

The ledge is not a problem. Don't be dumb and get caught under it. It's much more tame than PS1's.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Also you can Platform cancel on all 3 of the platforms. Good to note. also remember that the ledge isn't really bad, but people have a way of getting stuck under it. Try to abuse it if possible.

Edit: Just throwing this out there but should we start on stages that are a little less straight forward? Like Ps2/1 RC Brinstar etc? Lylats not too difficult to understand.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I don't really like lylat to be honest, but that's just my opinion.

It's also not a Neutral in Utah, our Neutrals are: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Pokemon Stadium 1.

Top Bottom