• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Local Gamestop says not enough people ordering BRAWL

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
Today i took a visit to my Local Gamestop and there isn't enough people preordering Brawl. There was gonna to be a Very Large tournament in this area if there were to be enough people to order it, but to what seemed to be only 2months away, is now nonexistent. I am wondering if your community is having the same problem on shortages on Gaming Morale.

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
I live in a really small town. Lucky to have one Gamestop.
Oh dang that reminds me.
I forgot to call to see if they're doing a midnight release. :(

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Haha, when my bro went to reserve Halo 3 the guy said that they were going to stop taking in orders soon. Then when I mentioned Brawl he said that was the same. I haven't checked, maybe we had so much that they had to stop yet I doubt it.

-Onyx

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
The exact opposite, actually. I got my preorder sometime in early December, and I was one of the last people able to get a hold of a pre-order. We're having a midnight release here and a tournament, as well.

Then again, I do live in So Cal.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
The exact opposite, actually. I got my preorder sometime in early December, and I was one of the last people able to get a hold of a pre-order. We're having a midnight release here and a tournament, as well.

Then again, I do live in So Cal.
I live in the middle of Chicago, and I discovered today that my Gamestop is not having a tourny or a midnight launch even!

It sucks because when I called a few weeks ago, the guy told me they "should be having a midnight launch because they have well over 100 preorders already."

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
my gamestop has over 50 reservations..the game will be an allstar hit....i dont think it will not be succesful...think about that thought for a second there buddy

I'm not saying it's not going to be successfull, but it is kinda strage for them to be saying that from me living in a fairly descent size town.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
1. Your sig made me lol

2. I live in a moderately sized city area with a small GameStop. One thing that confirms I am surrounded by gamers is this: I was the 498th to reserve SMG at my local GameStop, and that's just GameStop. There's also a Best Buy, Walmart, Shopco, Toys R Us, etc..

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
1. Your sig made me lol

2. I live in a moderately sized city area with a small GameStop. One thing that confirms I am surrounded by gamers is this: I was the 498th to reserve SMG at my local GameStop, and that's just GameStop. There's also a Best Buy, Walmart, Shopco, Toys R Us, etc..
I never heard of a GAMESTOP getting 500 copies of any game. Not even Best Buys get that many. And I live in a city with over 3 million people...

geogaither

Smash Apprentice
Thanks to stores like wal-mart and target, the preordering business had kind've been shot in the knees. W/out a bonus or midnight launch many people don't see the point.

Sucks for them when the game actually sells out everywhere (cough call of duty 4 on launch week)

Also, huge huge stores, like ones in texas, and even the one in PR can potentially get 500 copies of a game if there are enough preorders.

I live in a tiny city of 30k population and my eb games (we have 3 in town) got 208 halo 3 reserves. We had over 250 copies of halo (regular, collectors, legendary) in the store that week.
Keep in mind we're a SMALL store.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I still haven't pre-ordered it. I've been asking the four GameStops in my area if there will be a midnight release. They all didn't know and said it depended on pre-orders, so I didn't want to put a deposit down at a store that wouldn't be open at Midnight. Though, today, a manager at one said, "We had to open at Midnight for Tony Hawk Proving Ground. I'm 99% sure we'll be open for Smash Bros." So, I'll be putting my pre-order tomorrow. If I find out that they won't be doing a 12am, I'll just get my deposit back and go to Walmart.

I don't pre-order. This game is too special, it has to be bought on impulse.
That doesn't really add up. How is buying a game that you've anticipated for years; counting down the days until it comes out, considered "buying it on impulse"? Yeah, the game is special... that's why I'm pre-ordering it, so I know I'll get a copy.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I have the receipt and i pre-ordered Brawl in November 7 in a store that doesn't get too many customers (compared to the stores in my city) and they said they already had three hundred and something reserves...

People here are crazy about video games! I wanted a DS lite for christmas and i started checking stores 2 weeks before and they were all sold out in many cities and my parents started calling shops like Gamestop and Blockbuster and they said they were all sold out...

I heard from my aunt that one of her patients(she is a doctor) told her that some people started fighting in a store for the last ds.

My parents finally got one on January though, i was extremely shocked!

Ooh and the Wii, i decided to buy it on early october '07 and i had to go to more than 8 different stores because they were all sold out; finally I got it at Walmart.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I live in the middle of Chicago, and I discovered today that my Gamestop is not having a tourny or a midnight launch even!

It sucks because when I called a few weeks ago, the guy told me they "should be having a midnight launch because they have well over 100 preorders already."
I live in Chicago too. I doubt we go to the same Gamestop but I hope it isn't like this at all of them. Although the one I go to is in Skokie so I need to call and find out.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
I reserved Brawl at my local GameStop on Monday and they said that they've already got 350+ preorders for it. O_O They then pointed out that they had about 400 for Halo 3. At least in my area, Brawl is right up there with Halo 3 ... pretty impressive.

residentevilrulz

Smash Apprentice
I reserved mine on the same day I reserved Umbrella Chronicles. I believe it was back in May or June? The statistics of preorders where I live is really scattered because there are 5 Gamestops within a 5 mile radius of my house

Pkaz01

Smash Cadet
I don't know should I pre-order this game? Do you guys think it will be sold out the first day it comes out? I don't think it will be sold out in places like walmart on the first day. I expect it to be sold out in places like game crazy but I don't know. Should I pre-order it from Gamecrazy now or wait? I don't want to go out on midnight just to pick up a game.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
My gamespot actually isn't in my town but it's the only place I can pre-order that's not three hours away from me... as far as number of pre-orders, mine wouldn't tell me, guy was kind to strict about it.

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
Eh, I'm actually having the same problem. I preordered the game at Gamestop very recently and when I did I asked if they were doing a midnight launch. They said they don't have enough preorders. And according to them enough pre-order will be 100 or more. Although they're sure they'll get that many by the end of this month because "there's definately enough people in this city that have a Wii and this one's gonna be a big hit". Also, "it's good to pre-order now because it'll be impossible to get this game once it's out otherwise". So they're having good hopes for this game, that's for sure.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
my gamestop where i have it preorederd is saying its up in the air. they said they are most likley going to midnight launch it, but Nintendo is anti midnight launches. they said they'll know for sure closer to the release

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
I went to my gamestop and asked how many preorders they got. Apparently they got about 180 so far, so its very likely that there will be a midnight release in my area! Yay!

....Sorry to those who won't get a midnight release or will get it late.

ff7freddy

Smash Cadet
I don't know should I pre-order this game? Do you guys think it will be sold out the first day it comes out? I don't think it will be sold out in places like walmart on the first day. I expect it to be sold out in places like game crazy but I don't know. Should I pre-order it from Gamecrazy now or wait? I don't want to go out on midnight just to pick up a game.
just....a game?!?!.....I hope it gets sold out so you don't get one.

On-Topic: I already preordered the game. all I have to do is pick it up.:chuckle:

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
Over here in the UK, I THINK pre-orders have gone up, but as soon as the release date comes out, I'll be the first to pre-order. AND a midnight release... hahahahaha.

Kitt

Smash Cadet
I'm a manager at a gamestop in brooklyn and we have gotten over 400 reservations for smash so far. We are supposed to be doing a midnight release and hang up streamers and posters about smash just as we did with halo. So that could answer your question :)

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I'm a manager at a gamestop in brooklyn and we have gotten over 400 reservations for smash so far. We are supposed to be doing a midnight release and hang up streamers and posters about smash just as we did with halo. So that could answer your question :)
Is this for all gamestops in nyc, or just your gamestop.

Kel

Smash Master
Yeah I'm holding off on reserving until a gamestop tells me they're definitely having a midnight release. If not, I'll just go to walmart or meijer. One problem though, I think Walmart and Meijer don't put things on the shelf until 9 AM or something like that. The exceptions are the big things like wiis, ps3s etc. So, I don't know what I'm going to do, but I'll search around town until I can get it!

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'm not saying it's not going to be successfull, but it is kinda strage for them to be saying that from me living in a fairly descent size town.
I am going to school in Birmingham, Alabama and trust me it is the region.

For example all the stores have Galaxy on the shelved but Madden for Wii sold out everywhere. Madden has sold more in Tennessee/Alabama area. The Southeastern part of the country loves sports games and is filled with more outdoors/jocks so that you get less interest in easy video games. I can't blame them, personally Madden is at the top of my wishlist as well as brawl.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I live in Southwest Missouri. Only game played here is halo. So I could go pre-order 5 if I wanted... I might just buy an extra copy and see if I could sell it to someone for 60 bucks if there sold out at other places :p

PrinceOfSmash

Smash Cadet
i live in ct and i work at EB in the mall we got alot of pre orders but were not doing a midnight release my boss says it expensive cos the company requires us to hire a security gaurd. but we will have our own midnight release ;)....i guess its not required its how ever ur local EB or game stop feels.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Yeah unfortunately, I don't think my gamestop is doing in a midnight release either because they have to pay mall security OT as well as their own employees.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
AND a midnight release... hahahahaha.
Europe... :laugh:

I live in Hong Kong.
No tornaments at all.
That sucks. :/ Does the game even get released in Chinese?

I live in Southwest Missouri. Only game played here is halo. So I could go pre-order 5 if I wanted... I might just buy an extra copy and see if I could sell it to someone for 60 bucks if there sold out at other places :p
Hah, do it. It'd be like one of those get rich quick scams. :chuckle:

Top Bottom