• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Local Gamestop says not enough people ordering BRAWL

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
I live in St. Louis county. We should be getting a midnight release here.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
Why do people preorder games? There are ALWAYS enough copies for walkups.
Because some of us pay in full right then and there, and all we have to do is say "Hey, I'm <so and so> and I want to pick up my copy of Brawl." They'll get it, ring it up, check to see how much you have left to pay on it, and if you paid it in full, they'll just give it to you, and you go home happy. Especially nice with Midnight Releases.

aka, it's convienent.

LuigiTendo

Smash Apprentice
Know what? I live in a *Really odd small town (can't wait to move to Dallas TX) that has only 1200 people...there are THREE wii owners here, I am one.

AND GUESS WHAT! We're 30 miles from walmart, gamestop, target ect.

Gamestop had 10 preorders! They will DEFINITELY have the game on launch, fine w/ me

If I want a tourney, I'll play online

stepmaniers13

Smash Cadet
I live in between two cities: Gainesville and Ocala, Florida. One is college central and I don't go there much. The other is retirement capital of the world.

While I'm sure the Gamestops (there are two about two minutes apart) are sold out, there is a Wal-Mart, Best Buy, K-Mart, Target, and a Play n Trade right in the same vicinity.

I had my DS the first day it came out, and that was when I got off work late at night. I'm sure I'd be able to get Brawl on the first day of release earlier in the day.

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
I'm just gonna go to WalMart at midnight. At midnight I think all WalMarts will go into the back to get you the copy of the game because I think that's company policy. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

cdude1034

Smash Cadet
Ok guys, I'm gonna tell you something about Gamestop that might help you out.

Gamestop since I've worked there (well over a year) has never ever "Run out of pre-orders". Anybody who tells you that they're about to "run out" is just trying to get you to bump their numbers. Now sometimes we stop taking preorders a week prior to release, but we never "run out". Even with Halo, my slow store had about 350 preorders, but we didn't stop taking them.

Midnight releases are based on preorders, overall hype for the game, and population where you live, not just one or the other.

That being said, enjoy your midnight launch, those of you who live in a big enough place :)

cdude1034

Smash Cadet
I'm just gonna go to WalMart at midnight. At midnight I think all WalMarts will go into the back to get you the copy of the game because I think that's company policy. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
Denied. I tried that with Pokemon Battle Revolution, they wouldn't sell it to me until 8 AM.

Otori Warrior

Smash Cadet
Thanks to stores like wal-mart and target, the preordering business had kind've been shot in the knees. W/out a bonus or midnight launch many people don't see the point.

Sucks for them when the game actually sells out everywhere (cough call of duty 4 on launch week)
Exactly. If you go to walmart or target on launch day you will get a copy. There is absolutely no point in pre-ordering from gamestop. It is like giving them a loan with no interest.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Exactly. If you go to walmart or target on launch day you will get a copy. There is absolutely no point in pre-ordering from gamestop. It is like giving them a loan with no interest.
Being that I am in San Francisco and there are NO Wal Marts and only Targets in neighboring towns, and Gamestop is a 10 minute walk (after a heavy night of drinking, this is a blessing) I disagree.

But I will agree that Gamestop/EB is overrated as ****.

Otori Warrior

Smash Cadet
Being that I am in San Francisco and there are NO Wal Marts and only Targets in neighboring towns, and Gamestop is a 10 minute walk (after a heavy night of drinking, this is a blessing) I disagree.

But I will agree that Gamestop/EB is overrated as ****.
I left out the stipulation to that statement that I have made before in another thread on pre-ordering. That stipulation is that if you are unable to get to a department store on launch day. I do not doubt that Brawl will be difficult to find at some point and if you don't have easy access to a store on launch day then yes you will need to pre-order because usually gamestops only get enough copies to fill their pre-orders (from my experience).

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Don't get me wrong, my store that I work at is a giant department store in downtown SF that carries all kinds of different crap, but we N E V E R get anything on time. I spent three weeks waiting for Mario Galaxy, even though I work in the DVD and Game departments and warned upper management that this would be a problem, but to no avail.

Basically, Gamestop will have it on the 10th and that's good enough for me. But yes, I see what you're saying. Penny Arcade made a strip about this.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
I preordered my copy way back in October, cause the guy at the counter was like, "Well this game'll be hard to get come launch time..."

I went back this weekend and asked out of curiosity, "Hey, do you have any pre-orders for Brawl left?"

The guy said, "Oh yeah, we have plenty." I was shocked. Isn't this game supposed to be the reason people are buying the Wii? At least, it was for me...

It doesn't matter though, since I'll be spending the day with three other people who also preordered the game, and we'll be having a nice Brawl party. :)

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I preordered my copy way back in October, cause the guy at the counter was like, "Well this game'll be hard to get come launch time..."

I went back this weekend and asked out of curiosity, "Hey, do you have any pre-orders for Brawl left?"

The guy said, "Oh yeah, we have plenty." I was shocked. Isn't this game supposed to be the reason people are buying the Wii? At least, it was for me...

It doesn't matter though, since I'll be spending the day with three other people who also preordered the game, and we'll be having a nice Brawl party. :)
It was my understanding that they get copies shipped based on preorders, and then like 10 copies for over the counter non prescriptive justice.

Top Bottom