• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Live & Learn: Sonic Tournament Results

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yes, I will be at Nebulous tomorrow. Other tourneys are sometimes posted in the NY/NJ Smash Bros group on facebook.
Cool.

I'm in the group but I haven't really used it, I guess. I'll try to be more aware.

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Gouki Smash Singles
http://challonge.com/goukismash1v1
December 13th, 2014
Out of 55:
4th - :4sonic:

Gouki Smash Doubles
http://challonge.com/goukismash2v2
December 13th, 2014
Out of 15:
2nd - Livin' Like Larry ( Kinzer :4sonic: & Hino :4larry: )

Here, I would say "F*** Diddy Kong and everything he stands for;" but this time it was just me killing myself on my 2nd stock first game Vs. Lycan when I had such a huge lead that led me to lose. I didn't even want to play the second game let alone another one to possibly win 2-1 because s*** is mad discouraging. I honestly wish Vegas would increase the stock count to 3 as opposed to 2. I know time is an important factor for running tournaments; but, 2 stocks is too little for me to get any enjoyment or gratification of winning.

... But oh well. The next DVDA is next Monday, so I'll put down Lycan... and proceed to lose to FOW because he is true #1 Vegassmash terror.

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I TOLD YOU

HAH

HIS RECOVERY IS GOOD

Not only is the cooldown drastically reduced, but SideB can clear like the whole ****ing screen.

>_>

haha, I take back one thing, though: I got hit by an Ike's side B online while he was recovering and then he entered into the freefall state.

So, yeah, if you can take the hit, get in his face when he's charging his side B.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I honestly wish Vegas would increase the stock count to 3 as opposed to 2. I know time is an important factor for running tournaments; but, 2 stocks is too little for me to get any enjoyment or gratification of winning.
I like 2-stock...

I mean, we definitely lost the brag factor in 3-stocking or JV 2'ing people, but it just feels right to me.
haha, I take back one thing, though: I got hit by an Ike's side B online while he was recovering and then he entered into the freefall state.

So, yeah, if you can take the hit, get in his face when he's charging his side B.
I'm going to look into this. I really feel like he can UpB still.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Nebulous Smash Weekly 18
http://challonge.com/NebSmash18WIIU/standings
December 15th, 2014
Out of 32
5th - Camalange
:4sonic:

Much happier with my performance this week.

Lost to a Greninja immediately, which didn't start my morale off well, but I cleared through Losers. Unfortunately had to play Blue Terrorist and Sonic ditto'd. Went to the third round and won due to an unfortunate SD on his part. It's a shame it had to end that way but ggs man, and don't be so hard on yourself. You've performed great at other events but I'm not going down without a fight >:)

I then got to runback the Greninja player on stream with Trent commentating and 2-stocked him round one. Then beat his Falcon counterpick round 2.

Ended with me playing John Numbers (really great Shulk player who took first last week) and lost 2-1. Don't have that much Shulk experience, so ultimately I felt I played well and will only get better at it.

But for the first time I started feeling like I was playing S4nic and not Brawl Sonic.

Lots of good competition today. NinjaLink and Dark Peach there as usual, but MikeKirby and Jtails were there too who ended up taking top 2. Never got to talk to Jtails before but he's a super nice and very smart player.

I also got to commentate with Trent on a NinjaLink vs John Numbers match. Lots of fun!

Back from my first Smash 4 Tourney!
Congratulations man!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I tested this yesterday and he could only Up-B after the Side-B hit. If he doesn't land the hit, however, he goes into freefall.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Nice to see a familiar format.
Late, but whatever:

The Road to TGC 2
December 3rd
Out of 131
7th - Espy

:applejack:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Nice to see a familiar format.
Late, but whatever:

The Road to TGC 2
December 3rd
Out of 131
7th - Espy

:applejack:
Congrats on top 8 with such a large turnout. Good to see you finally playing this game.

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
I placed 9th in singles and 3rd in doubles with blazing katakiri. Completely my fault in doubles though. I also suck with the sheik matchup which screwed me in that doubles match that knocked us out. Joey and Kero...team ninja. Ugh.
Johns aside I was really pumped at how well I did and I feel I have come so far now in this game compared to my ****ty results from the past in brawl. TO A BETTER FUTURE IN SMASH!

http://smashboards.com/threads/dec-...-filled-are-my-favorite-louisville-ky.383727/

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
oh boy here it comes

Roll Em' Up
http://smashboards.com/threads/roll-em-up-results-over-100-entrants-hosted-by-ufb.383825/
December 21st, 2014
Out of 63
33rd - Camalange

Sorry guys. I scrubbed out way too early. The unhappiest I've been with myself in a long time. Granted this tournament ended up being bigger and more stacked than I anticipated, there's not much that can be said about my performance. I just played poorly. I was hesitant to even post it here but I'd rather not hide it. Posting it up and moving forward.

I'll do better next time.

Live and Learn~ I guess.

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I tested this yesterday and he could only Up-B after the Side-B hit. If he doesn't land the hit, however, he goes into freefall.

Yeah, after even more testing, I discovered that he can act out of his side B only if it hits (or enter the "hit animation" anyway), however, if he doesn't do anything afterwards, he will enter the freefall state.

This is most probably on some thread over the Ike boards but w/e lol

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I got 7th out of 215 at the large Vegas Tournament on Monday. lol
Eh~, I still wish our TO hadn't put you in MY pool; but, these things can't be helped I suppose.

Smash 4 Wars Wii U Weekly #4
http://hitboxarena.challonge.com/smash4wars4singles
December 23rd, 2014
Out of 12
7th - Camalange

After having the worst week of Smash since launch, I think I need to clear my head.

I know that feel.

Anyway, I'm done being upset (rather, I finally saw the video I was waiting for and now I know what to do better next time. So~...

DVDA #5: Golden Fightning Rings (Singles)
http://vegassmash.challonge.com/DVDA5top32
December 22nd, 2014
Out of 202:
7th - BAM :4sonic:
25th - X :4sonic:

DVDA #5: Golden Fighting Rings (Doubles)
http://vegassmash.challonge.com/DVDA5doubles
December 22nd, 2014
Out of 51:
5th - Livin' Like Larry ( Kinzer :4sonic: & Hino :4larry: )

I'm upset that I had to be sent to losers by a fellow Sonic player... only to be knocked out by a local player... who plays Meta Knight. I only had to win one more game to get into the pro bracket, and I dropped the Spin ball. :(

... Eh, I'm over it... Kinda/sorta/not really/yeah/okay/for real. If it had to be anybody, I'm okay with the fact that it was someone who did well in general. And with Sonic overall. Besides, It was actually... fun. Dare I say: the mirror match might actually be one that's exciting to play this time around? In any case, I just lost my patience. That's probably what cost me both games, anyway. The second one especially; but, I feel like if had I just kept my cool and stayed with the fact I had a 100% lead over BAM, I could've just waited for a better opportunity instead of trying some last-ditch effort that has little reward if successful.

Note to self: Springing out of a Spin Jump against an opposing Sonic is probably not a good idea. Just a thought.

... Uhm~, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm detracting from his efforts or that I'm salty about the set. I enjoyed my time there, really! At least my performance in doubles made up for it. Got cheesed in our match Vs. RB and Shaya I felt; but, they just had a better strategy so I'm just complaining for the sake of now. Still end up outplacing them, somehow...

I'll just have to do better next time, keep trying, keep learning, and perhaps show that my 2nd place at the first DVDA wasn't a fluke. To be fair, though, where and why did all these out of state players come to this one? I was not told of such plans and it makes placing high incredibly difficult when competition goes beyond the local playerbase. Now if only this could happen on a consistent basis, I feel my practice and skill level would sky rocket in quality content.

Cyberman6

Smash Apprentice

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Eh~, I still wish our TO hadn't put you in MY pool; but, these things can't be helped I suppose.

I know that feel.

Anyway, I'm done being upset (rather, I finally saw the video I was waiting for and now I know what to do better next time. So~...

DVDA #5: Golden Fightning Rings (Singles)
http://vegassmash.challonge.com/DVDA5top32
December 22nd, 2014
Out of 202:
7th - BAM :4sonic:
25th - X :4sonic:

DVDA #5: Golden Fighting Rings (Doubles)
http://vegassmash.challonge.com/DVDA5doubles
December 22nd, 2014
Out of 51:
5th - Livin' Like Larry ( Kinzer :4sonic: & Hino :4larry: )

I'm upset that I had to be sent to losers by a fellow Sonic player... only to be knocked out by a local player... who plays Meta Knight. I only had to win one more game to get into the pro bracket, and I dropped the Spin ball. :(

... Eh, I'm over it... Kinda/sorta/not really/yeah/okay/for real. If it had to be anybody, I'm okay with the fact that it was someone who did well in general. And with Sonic overall. Besides, It was actually... fun. Dare I say: the mirror match might actually be one that's exciting to play this time around? In any case, I just lost my patience. That's probably what cost me both games, anyway. The second one especially; but, I feel like if had I just kept my cool and stayed with the fact I had a 100% lead over BAM, I could've just waited for a better opportunity instead of trying some last-ditch effort that has little reward if successful.

Note to self: Springing out of a Spin Jump against an opposing Sonic is probably not a good idea. Just a thought.

... Uhm~, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm detracting from his efforts or that I'm salty about the set. I enjoyed my time there, really! At least my performance in doubles made up for it. Got cheesed in our match Vs. RB and Shaya I felt; but, they just had a better strategy so I'm just complaining for the sake of now. Still end up outplacing them, somehow...

I'll just have to do better next time, keep trying, keep learning, and perhaps show that my 2nd place at the first DVDA wasn't a fluke. To be fair, though, where and why did all these out of state players come to this one? I was not told of such plans and it makes placing high incredibly difficult when competition goes beyond the local playerbase. Now if only this could happen on a consistent basis, I feel my practice and skill level would sky rocket in quality content.

You're not detracting at all Kinzer; and you are absolutely right. Its something we both need to work on tbh. I felt I gave away game 1 and got too complacent after game 2. I think that we both had moments of dominance as well aa moments of losing our cool ( I felt i straight up underestimated u game 3 after game 2 and then I mentally collapsed until the end). I think that's what is key for us to learn as blossoming tournament threats.

I also did wish we had played in a different pool; I didnt want any of us to fall. Nonetheless the ditto was really fun. I had yet to really watch the progress other sonics had been making so it was definitely a refreshing surprise to see u play.

All in all i was happy with my placing; however I do believe I couldve done far better. My first loss was simply a case of me refusing to play defensively after my gross advantage. My second loss to K9 was a convincing 2-0 on his part, but I honestly had slept for over 48 hrs at that point. I definitely have to learn how to keep the mind clear when reaching the later segements of tournaments.

@ Espy Rose Espy Rose @ MeekSpeedy MeekSpeedy seeing as you 2 probably have the most tournament experience out of our little family, is there any suggestions/advice you 2 can give to keep that mental finesse later down the line? Despite me being a member of thr community for a bit, I tend to not enter nearly enough tournaments due to my medical school and NGO endeavors. So any advice from you guys ( or anyone here really) would be wonderful.

Also Kinzer thanks for the advice, and most of all thank you for good conversation. I hope to attend more Vegas tournaments and Id love to sit down with you and talk more. You are a wonderful man and it was a privilege to finally converse with you in person.

Hopefully we wont meet next time in tournament, but if we do lets both focus and perform our best. Im sure they will be great matches. Im always cheering you on as a Sonic brother man!!!!

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Warning Received (Please use the edit button!)
:4sonic:To be fair, though, where and why did all these out of state players come to this one? I was not told of such plans and it makes placing high incredibly difficult when competition goes beyond the local playerbase. Now if only this could happen on a consistent basis, I feel my practice and skill level would sky rocket in quality content.
Yeah Zan wanted us to support you guys and then all of a sudden everyone and their mom (well some mothers) decided to attend. It was crazy. I think a ton of So Cal people had a great time so Im sure itll happen more often. So hopefully we can all get buff on the West Coast!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I know that feel.
Happens to everyone, I guess.

It's funny because our problems are similar but different...

When the game came out I made it out of pools at KTAR then did really well at my locals, including winning Sonic dittos back to back, then most recently went to a tournament that I thought would mostly have locals then ended up being super stacked and then that bad momentum carried over into the next tournament and I choked myself out.

It's better for us if we both just try to not be salty about it and prove we're as good as we know we are and have proven that we are before.

Sonic dittos (and losing them) is going to be far more of a reality in this current metagame so... Yay. I think this will start to die down (if it hasn't already). I think people are realizing there are better characters. Like, think about it. Everyone talks him up so much but has Sonic actually won anything yet? No. I don't think he's even placed top 3 in any majors yet. Apex should be interesting.

Cyberman6

Smash Apprentice
I think this will start to die down (if it hasn't already). I think people are realizing there are better characters. Like, think about it. Everyone talks him up so much but has Sonic actually won anything yet? No. I don't think he's even placed top 3 in any majors yet. Apex should be interesting.

Yeah, that's what I'm currently thinking. 6WX is basically the only one now placing top 3 at stacked local right now. People giving Sonic more credit than on how he actually is.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, that's what I'm currently thinking. 6WX is basically the only one now placing top 3 at stacked local right now. People giving Sonic more credit than on how he actually is.
Ain't that the truth. 6WX is putting in work. He was actually at that one tournament I was referring to, which made me feel like ass.

Especially because I was watching him play and he wasn't doing anything that I don't do. He was just doing it better and playing the opponent. I was getting in my own head far too much whereas he looked comfortable in way more of his sets. I need to reach that.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Honestly, BAM, the best piece of advice I can give you for tournament endurance is to just look at your matches one game at a time. Ignore future matchups, loser's bracket, winner's, whatever. Just focus on the immediate game you're playing. One baby step at a time.

Once you're out of the tournament is when you can finally look at the big picture and make sense of it. Doing it any sooner just puts more stress on you. :applejack:

juddy96

Smash Lord
From all of these results, 6WX has to be considered the #1 Sonic atm. Has taken sets off of Dabuz, NAKAT, Nairo, ADHD, Vinnie, False, Keitaro, Orion, Tweek, Mr. E, Doom, Boss, Seagull Joe, and Pink Fresh

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Are you like his hype man?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Nah, I just like watching his matches
I like the honesty.

As I have said before, I think he's putting in the most work. I have a lot of respect for him and it's hard to argue with his current track record/consistency.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
From all of these results, 6WX has to be considered the #1 Sonic atm. Has taken sets off of Dabuz, NAKAT, Nairo, ADHD, Vinnie, False, Keitaro, Orion, Tweek, Mr. E, Doom, Boss, Seagull Joe, and Pink Fresh
Who cares...

:018:

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Finally managed to get the tourney results from the tournament i went to saturday, and also have the results from a tourney i went to yesterday.

Wreck the halls
December 27, 2014
3rd out of 34 :4sonic:
http://challonge.com/WrecktheHalls_Smash4Singles

Smashing Grounds
December 30, 2014
1st out of 28 :4sonic:
http://challonge.com/smash_123014

I could have done much better at the Saturday tournament, dropped a ton of punishes, but luckily managed to snag 3rd.
As for yesterdays tournament i played much cleaner, but i still missed a few gimping opportunities. I have matches recorded from the streams for both so i'll post them in the video thread with time stamps soon.

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace
You're not detracting at all Kinzer; and you are absolutely right. Its something we both need to work on tbh. I felt I gave away game 1 and got too complacent after game 2. I think that we both had moments of dominance as well aa moments of losing our cool ( I felt i straight up underestimated u game 3 after game 2 and then I mentally collapsed until the end). I think that's what is key for us to learn as blossoming tournament threats.

I also did wish we had played in a different pool; I didnt want any of us to fall. Nonetheless the ditto was really fun. I had yet to really watch the progress other sonics had been making so it was definitely a refreshing surprise to see u play.

All in all i was happy with my placing; however I do believe I couldve done far better. My first loss was simply a case of me refusing to play defensively after my gross advantage. My second loss to K9 was a convincing 2-0 on his part, but I honestly had slept for over 48 hrs at that point. I definitely have to learn how to keep the mind clear when reaching the later segements of tournaments.

@ Espy Rose Espy Rose @ MeekSpeedy MeekSpeedy seeing as you 2 probably have the most tournament experience out of our little family, is there any suggestions/advice you 2 can give to keep that mental finesse later down the line? Despite me being a member of thr community for a bit, I tend to not enter nearly enough tournaments due to my medical school and NGO endeavors. So any advice from you guys ( or anyone here really) would be wonderful.

Also Kinzer thanks for the advice, and most of all thank you for good conversation. I hope to attend more Vegas tournaments and Id love to sit down with you and talk more. You are a wonderful man and it was a privilege to finally converse with you in person.

Hopefully we wont meet next time in tournament, but if we do lets both focus and perform our best. Im sure they will be great matches. Im always cheering you on as a Sonic brother man!!!!
I don't always do this, but I'll buy 2 energy drinks, I'll have 1 the moment I lose my winners bracket set, and another once it's starting to get late and I feel tired. Otherwise it's all about getting a good nights sleep, and eating small meals/snacks throughout the day (as opposed to having a large lunch, having a large meal will make you feel lazy/tired).

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's not updated yet, but I got 5th out of 74 at a big tournament today. Lost to Fliphop again in winners, and Megafox in losers. At the very least, I did one place better with pretty much the same stacked competition, so I'm satisfied with my performance. :applejack:

SAM 1
January 3rd, 2015
Out of 74
5th - Espy
http://smashboards.com/threads/sam-1-results-74-entrants.385458/

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I'll update it by tomorrow. Sorry guys. Also congratulations on the wins everyone.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Things are semi updated. I'm going to be separating locals and wifi tournaments soon. I think it'll be easier for us to search for results that way. So please make sure to put if the tournament was a Local or Wifi

Congratulations to all the wins guys. @ B.A.M. B.A.M. I know a few of us are going to be there like TwicH, myself (if things pan out), Cama as well.

Top Bottom