• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
EA made a boxing game that included a port of Super Punch Out!!. It proclaimed that he came from Seattle rather than the Bronx, which is where Little Mac actually comes from.
You mean the blonde Mac from punch out snes they turned into a goblin for fight night?

Ugh no, Mac is still from the Bronx, thankfully their stain of a retcon holds no water. This was even at a time where this character wasn't even referred to as Mac until that dev team did it. Glad next level games made things right after that

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
You mean the blonde Mac from punch out snes they turned into a goblin for fight night?

Ugh no, Mac is still from the Bronx, thankfully their stain of a retcon holds no water. This was even at a time where this character wasn't even referred to as Mac until that dev team did it. Gald next level games made things right after that
That face...induces nightmares. What was EA thinking?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Ugh no, Mac is still from the Bronx, thankfully their stain of a retcon holds no water. This was even at a time where this character wasn't even referred to as Mac until that dev team did it. Glad next level games made things right after that
AHHHHH!! MY WORLD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME! I NEED AIR!!!

Whew! Thanks Next Level, for bringing Mac's design back where it belongs!

Like. Seriously. That...abomination is like some video game crash nightmare fodder ****. UGH.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
EA Games can make Mario characters but can't make a Nintendo character that has a more realistic design. I find that hilarious for some reason.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Just one thing on his appearance. Is it me, or does Sakurai seem more inclined to use character designs and assets done by Japanese developers? All throughout SSB we've had Super Metroid Samus in spite of the Retro Studios-developed Metroid Prime series. Now that there's a new-ish Metroid by a Japanese developer, Sakurai updates Samus to her Other M appearance. I'm noticing the same sort of thing with the Pilotwings stage, too. Pilotwings SNES and Resort are there, but there's no sign of the Western-developed Pilotwings 64 (Resort was developed by a Western company too, but all of its art and assets were the Wii Fit-inspired Mii and Wuhu motif). The only series in SSB that seems to draw heavily from Western art sources is Donkey Kong Country, and that might be because it's always been developed by Western companies.

I'm not trying to imply anything by this, it's just something I've noticed and I was wondering what you all thought; and in spite of this, I think Sakurai would still be more likely to use Wii Little Mac if he were to be included. I think just on a general level it looks a lot better. Particularly his quiff, which suits him much more than his NES-era Roman haircut.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Just one thing on his appearance. Is it me, or does Sakurai seem more inclined to use character designs and assets done by Japanese developers? All throughout SSB we've had Super Metroid Samus in spite of the Retro Studios-developed Metroid Prime series. Now that there's a new-ish Metroid by a Japanese developer, Sakurai updates Samus to her Other M appearance. I'm noticing the same sort of thing with the Pilotwings stage, too. Pilotwings SNES and Resort are there, but there's no sign of the Western-developed Pilotwings 64 (Resort was developed by a Western company too, but all of its art and assets were the Wii Fit-inspired Mii and Wuhu motif). The only series in SSB that seems to draw heavily from Western art sources is Donkey Kong Country, and that might be because it's always been developed by Western companies.

I'm not trying to imply anything by this, it's just something I've noticed and I was wondering what you all thought; and in spite of this, I think Sakurai would still be more likely to use Wii Little Mac if he were to be included. I think just on a general level it looks a lot better. Particularly his quiff, which suits him much more than his NES-era Roman haircut.
Not to mention Marth's design now. It's from a Japanese-exclusive game, isn't it?

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
All of Next Level's effort and love would be wasted if the Smash team didn't use Mac's new look.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
http://www.screwattack.com/news/top-5-characters-i-don’t-want-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_132963

Screwattack can seriously spin on it. There's all the moronic anti-Little Mac 'arguments' in a nutshell. "who wnts 2 play as litle mac? all he can do is pnuch he cant even kick!!!11!!". Ugh, the ignorance and lack of imagination of some people when it comes to SSB4 really irritates me.
ScrewAttack had nothing to do with this one. I've seen some recent ScrewAttack videos, praising Little Mac and asking for him in Smash 4.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Let's not make assumptions about Sakurai preferring Japanee assets. There's no real proof of it, and its just conjecture that can lead to stupider people spreading hard-to-escape rumors.

I doubt Sakurai's going to use his old design. The new design is everywhere, and unlike Samus, you don't have past precedent for his other model being playable. It could be that Sakurai didn't change Samus because she had that SNES look since Smash 64.

Honestly I don't notice much difference in the new Other M model. However, all of Mac's looks are so jarring my different, I'd be really surprised if he didn't just go with the most recent look.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I've played Punch-Out recently and I decided to come up with a moveset, kinda. I haven't read the others though so maybe this will seem rather unoriginal to some of you, I hope not.

General overview and special abilities (Block, Duck and Grab)

I see Little Mac as a character you will prefer not to move much. He runs pretty fast and jumps pretty high, but his true velocity lies, obviously, in the punches he can throw. Little Mac has absolutely no combos in the air, since all his normal A attacks in the air will be very hard blows who launch enemies far away. Also, many of his specials (especially his side-B) lose a lot of strength if performed in the air, and his Down-B simply doesn't work in the air. So, you will have to keep Little Mac on the ground as much as you can. Even if not at all the biggest character on the roster, he can be used as a tank since he's capable of using a various amount of abilities to block the enemies on the ground too, hitting them with a combo or two, and then launching them out of the screen with a final blow. Exactly as in his games (and in boxing in general), you will have to let the enemies come at you, instead of hunting them down.

Shield/Block
My idea for Little Mac in Sm4sh is, first off, him having a special ability connected to the shield/guard. The first unique ability about Mac's shield, is that it is indestructible. Different for all the other characters, his shield (which his actually him standing in the classic block position of boxing) doesn't break after a period of time leaving him defenseless. To be able to do so, though, Mac's shield is much smaller and has to be moved up and down to properly avoid any attack. So if you keep the shield down, you will be completely exposed on your head, and if you keep it up, ground/low attacks will still hit you.

Duck
Connected to this ability, Little Mac has also a unique effect when he rolls (or ducks) out of the guard laterally. If he does that avoiding an enemy attack at a precise moment, he will gain a STAR. He can build up to three stars, of which we'll talk about later. Also, after he ducks the enemy Little Mac has one second in which he can perform a fast AAA combo (which normally doesn't work as I'll explain later).

Grab
Also, his grab is completely different to any other. In fact, Little Mac won't be able to hit anyone during the grab, since this is illegal in boxing matches. He will just hug them, blocking them for a bit. During the hug, Little Mac will rest recovering 3% of damage every second till the enemy frees himself. This will happen rather quickly though, so Little Mac can decide instead to release the enemy from the grab like any other character can. This will not launch the enemy in the air or on the side, but will instead just "stun" him a little bit, giving Little Mac an open to start a combo.

Specials:

Up-B: Uppercut. Obviously, this punch has the ability to launch enemies in the air to start combos, and also make him recover on the stage.

Down-B: Recovery. This special works differently from anything we've seen so far: you have to tap the B button while keeping down the stick continuously, and as far as you do that, you'll recover 1% of your damage every second. Little Mac will simply look like he's training, throwing punches in the air, like he does in the Punch-Out series while the opponent is down.

Normal B: Star Punch. This is a simple, slow and effective blow that will launch enemies far away. The more Stars you collected during the match (up to a max of three) the stronger the punch will be. There are various ways of collecting stars, these include:
- ducking an enemy attack at the right second
- "stealing" an opponent KO hitting the killed enemy while he's already going out of the stage
- blocking an enemy attack and then hitting him with another attack.
- recovering 15% of energy in one single rush
Anyway, if Little Mac gets hit, he will lose all the Stars he gained.

Side B: One-Two Punch. This is a very particular move since it has to be paired with his normal A combo or side-A attack. In fact, both hid side A attack and side-B special will be extremely slow and uneffective if used alone, since they will consist in a simple single punch after which Little Mac has a delay of two seconds to throw another one, leaving him exposed to the enemy. Anyway, if you alternate A attacks with B specials, Little Mac will be able to perform a pretty long combo of punches and a last one, the fifth, being the strongest (it can be the Uppercut, or the Star Punch, in the first case you'll receive a Star).
If you can keep the momentum right, it will be very hard for the enemy to get out of the combo and you will deal a fair amount of damage, but it's one of the hardest moves to master. Basically we can say this move works like Marth and Roy's side B, in a way, with the big difference of involving A attacks too. You can start with each of them, being the Side-B or the Side A, and then you'll have to alternate till the end of the combo. Essentially, B specials will involve Mac's right punch, and A attacks will involve the left.
This is a list of all the possible punches you can connect during the attack, combining them will create a different combo:
Side B / Side A (NEEDED TO START THE COMBO): Right / Left slow head swing
Normal B / Normal A: Right / Left fast head punch (will be a Star Punch if performed at the end of the combo)
Down B / Down A: Right / Left slow gut punch
Up B / Up A: Right / Left uppercut

Smash attacks and other A attacks:

Since Little Mac's strength lies in his fast attacks, smash attacks are not as effective. They basically consist of a different variety of specials which can be charged (for example, his Up Smash attack is another uppercut which won't launch him in the air). If he connects a fully charged smash attack though, he will gain a Star. In the air, Little Mac's attack are simple punches thrown in various directions. He never uses his legs though, obviously.

Final Smash:

Do I need to answer this? Obviously Giga Mac.

I hope the moveset is clear (I know that the Side-B especially can be a little confusing) but I had fun trying to recreate the feel of the Punch-Out series, and I think I did kinda well. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Since Capcom is a part of Smash now, Mac should shout "Shoryuken" very rarely. :laugh:

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch

MOVESET FOR LITTLE MAC
I wanted to make a move set for little mac, I've thought over it a long time, and i think i got it:
Little Mac is fast and strong, but light and clumsy in the air.

Intro

Runs behind doc on his bike, who disapears, mac rips open his pink hoodie and starts to idle.

Idle
Mac stands with his gloves in front of him, like in punch out wii
random idle animations:
punches his gloves together and hops twice
covers his face and does one jab and one uppercut

A attacks: i tried to base the effects and purposes of the punches of the real boxing punches as much as i could.
These attacks have about no start and ending lag

A; an infinite series of jabs, not too strong, doesn't push the enemy away far, so you can hit up to a good 4-5 times before the enemy is out of range. Also a nice way to stun an enemy for a stronger punch. 5% each

forward A; an infinite series of hooks, this is much like the jab, but stronger, more reach (since you do a little step) but it pushes the enemy away further than the jab. 2-3 hits before an enemy is out of range. 7% each

up A; Uppercut, but not the jumping one, it's a simple punch in the air: you punch the foe up in the air a bit and then when he is in his hit animation you can use a stronger attack more easily. 10%

down A; a duck jab, this is a jab, but ducked, you are smaller and harder to hit. You can chain up to 3-4 punches. 5% each

run A; a hop forward and landing a hard and a bit clumsy punch. A fair amount of landing lag though, so be careful with it. 17% (you can compare it with the first punch of the Hondo rush in punch out Wii)

Air attacks: In the air mac gets a bit clumsy and weaker, but his range gets a bit longer most of the time. All his attacks will be slower.

A; a jab and a hook that turns mac around so you hit both sides. 5%+10%

forward A; this is pretty much like Mario's forward air, but you won't be able to spike with it, it's a bit more hit forward. 15%

back A; a punch to the back that will make little Mac float a bit to he side he punches to. 12%

up A; a punch upwards that makes Mac fall slower for a short amount of time. pretty basic. 23%

down A; Mac will fall a bit faster for a second while spreading his legs wide. He will throw a punch down with a meteor effect. 14%

Smash attacks: These attacks might be a little slower than the A attacks but they are still faster than most smash attacks in game.

forward smash; Cross/a hard punch, to make it simple, a strong punch forward with decent range (also stepping forward a bit, like Mario does) little ending lag but a bit starting lag. Breaks through shields. 30%

up smash; It kinda resembles the up punch from the punch out Wii multi-player: the arm is swung up and goes forward as well, it covers a lot of space around Mac and punches the foe up if above him, and down if in front of him. 25%

down smash; a 'super macho man' like spin punch, but lower and slower, it covers both sides. 20%

Special attacks: these are going to be based on Mac's actual in game fighting style.

B; Star punch, i know i could've also done this as the up B, but it would not be handy to go in the air and be immobilized every time you use this punch. after pressing the B button Mac slams his fist up hitting in front of him and even going above him, so a big hit-box for a Mac attack. This attack will also use the stars you've gained (i'll explain later) 0 stars-1 star-2 stars- 3 stars -> 20%-25%-35%50%

forward B; Dodge counters, you hop forward a long distance (like the assist trophy mac, but a bit less far and high), while jumping you are invincible for all attacks. While being in the hop you can push B again to punch. Has some ending lag, so look out with it. 29%

up B: spin uppercut, you uppercut while spinning up in the air. Pretty self explanatory, hits once. 25%

Down B: counter, but not just the usual smash counter: When you counter someone in Punch Out he usually is stunned, which is what will happen. After the enemy is hit by the counter he will show it's broken shield animation, so you have the chance to choose which attack you want to perform, you'll have almost time enough for every attack Mac has. 13%+the attack you perform afterwards.

Grab+throws

Grab; Mac punches and the enemy gets in a broken shield animation, by pushing the grab button again you hit the opponent. 5%

The throws are pretty basic, Mac punches the enemy in the direction you press.
up; 7% sets up for juggles
down; 10%
forward; 8%
backwards; 9%

Taunts

neutral; hops around and punches the air (like in the punch out Wii intro scene)

side; holds up his fist at chest hight and said yeah

down; does the Punch Out Wii animation when healing while the opponent is down.

Ways to earn stars
there are some ways to earn stars:
Hit someone who is having the launch fire thingy after he is hit.
Use the down air to meteor someone.
hit someone who is charging a smash attack.
hit someone who is taunting.

Ways to lose stars
lose a stock.
getting hit hard. (get send flying) I know in the original punch out you lose a star every time you get hit, but keeping stars will be too hard in a game like smash. Kirby also doesn't lose his ability every time he gets hurt.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Dear Lord, yet another horrific example of Uncanny Valley involving a Nintendo character! O.O

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
This is the one character I want more than any for Smash Bros. 4! :)

http://www.screwattack.com/news/top-5-characters-i-don’t-want-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_132963

Screwattack can seriously spin on it. There's all the moronic anti-Little Mac 'arguments' in a nutshell. "who wnts 2 play as litle mac? all he can do is pnuch he cant even kick!!!11!!". Ugh, the ignorance and lack of imagination of some people when it comes to SSB4 really irritates me.
The last line about not growing up with NES in his Duck Hunt Dog section explains it all!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Bah! Come on Sakurai. Every time you reveal a veteran or new character and the character reveal wasn't for Mac, I have to hear "That's cool, but it's not Little Mac." from literally all of my friends. (And myself on the inside.)

Would you please get on with it? Pretty please, with a chocolate bar?

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
So I found this amazing video and thought it was worth sharing. Think you know Punch Out? Can you beat it while blindfolded?

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

That is truly hideous

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I believe Little Mac will be in this game.

I believe the brown haired punk from the super punch out will be an alternate costume.

I believe King Hippo will be an assist trophy.

I don't believe Mac's Final Smash will be getting a bright pink jumpsuit and chasing a mad Doc Louis on a bike killing all in their path.

I believe Mac's final smash will be giga mac oriented.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I believe Little Mac will be in this game.

I believe the brown haired punk from the super punch out will be an alternate costume.

I believe King Hippo will be an assist trophy.

I don't believe Mac's Final Smash will be getting a bright pink jumpsuit and chasing a mad Doc Louis on a bike killing all in their path.

I believe Mac's final smash will be giga mac oriented.
Giga Mac is too obvious for a Final Smash... I kinda wouldn't mind Giga Mac if it was a Down+B move where after Little Mac gets three stars, he turns into Giga Mac for a couple minutes... and his Final Smash involves chasing Doc Louis on a bike. I hope Sakurai comes up with something crazy for Little Mac just to prove the doubters wrong...

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I can see Mac's Final Smash being a sort of "Super Star Punch". A devastatingly powerful Star Punch that sends opponents flying, but only if Mac actually connects the punch.

Giga Mac just seems to similar to Giga Bowser in style.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
It's going to be giga mac...I know it's not as "original" as maybe some people would like but...come on it's totally what his final smash SHOULD be.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Giga Mac is a pretty bland and uninteresting one.

If it's that, it's that. I'm going to keep hoping for some kind of super-mega-star power punch (that isn't dependent on actual star power levels)

Top Bottom