• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I hope the art style is a sign of things to come for the character, with maybe a new game in the pipeline.
You know, I'd be so much more hyped for a new Punch Out than Mac in Smash.

Now I'm still very, very, veeeeeery glad Mac's in Smash, but man the things I'd do for a new Punch Out....

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'd change the bit about "for SSB4" since he's already in. But what titles do you guys have in mind?
Maybe we can all agree on something awesome. :)
My thought was "W.V.B.A. Hall of Fame: Little Mac General". It seemed simple, to the point and still neat-sounding.

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
I really, really really want a new punch out game with this new-ish mac design, and HD graphics. Everything doulc look so awesome, and we could have new fighters, and more!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Haven't had the time to congratulate you guys yet, so here goes. Congrats with your character making it. We all thought it was sort of obvious he'd make it in, but still.

Seems he's also less 'boring' or straight forward than people say he would be. Still wonder about this OHKO punch he has however. If it can kill Bowser at such early %s, it's bound to be extremely powerful. Not sure what to think of Mac just yet, not sure if I really like him being an all around power character. Cause that's what it looks like now.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Haven't had the time to congratulate you guys yet, so here goes. Congrats with your character making it. We all thought it was sort of obvious he'd make it in, but still.

Seems he's also less 'boring' or straight forward than people say he would be. Still wonder about this OHKO punch he has however. If it can kill Bowser at such early %s, it's bound to be extremely powerful. Not sure what to think of Mac just yet, not sure if I really like him being an all around power character. Cause that's what it looks like now.
I think I can thank you guys in the name of all Mac supporters.
I was quite surprised to see how reactions went mostly:

Mac supporters > Loved the reveal
Indifferent supporters > Loved the reveal
People who found Mac boring > Liked the reveal a lot and are now interested to play as him.

And well... there are those very VERY few ones here and there who hated him either way. XD

But Mac's reaction was beyond positive, for SSB standards. I think it's up there with Megaman levels perhaps. Or maybe more?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't stop watching the trailer over and over again! It's just perfect for not only Little Mac, but also Punch Out!!. Depending on how he plays, I might main him.
He was my most wanted newcomer because I truly felt that he deserved a spot on the roster and I loved the Wii game. Seeing as how Little Mac is now in the fray, I just hope to see Next Level Games give Punch Out!! a future. I would love to see a Punch Out!! game on the Wii U!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nobody thinks Little Mac being a power character is somewhat weird and out of character?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah but he never really relied on overpowering his foes did he? More so his excellent timing, preciseness and speed?

Then again, making him just all around average like Mario could be the reason why some would've called him boring before his reveal. However, still kind of think it's a weird design choice for his moveset.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
We don't really know how powerful he is though, but I'm definitely seeing a lot of speed and quickness.
He's more of a character that's in your face and applying pressure from what I'd bet, like an actual infighter.

I'm bugged by his animations more than anything to be honest. Too many times where he's swinging and instances where he's off balance.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Nobody thinks Little Mac being a power character is somewhat weird and out of character?
Frankly, not reallly. In a weird way, it suits him just fine.

He did top the likes of Super Macho Man and Mr.Sandman (and Mike Tyson?). So it's only natural for him to be on a whole other league now by Smash Bros. standards. You can see it in his training!
His training in Punch Out Wii wasn't nearly as intense as what he's doing in the trailer. So it pretty much established that, like I said, Mac is on a whole other league now.

Had I not seen the initial training sequence, I would've been off put by his massive strength.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still don't really see it as an excuse, so am still sort of off put by it. You could've compared it to Ike, who also had quite a lot of people in the crowd second guessing Sakurai making him a heavy, power character. But with Ike, it suits. Cause after all, he's a skilled war veteran who taught himself how to fight (mostly) and swings around a two-handed sword with one arm effortlessy. But with Mac, am just not seeing it...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I guess yeah.

Anyway, Little Mac totally snatched away Diddy's reveal so am gonna have fun fighting him with Diddy. :cool:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I still don't really see it as an excuse, so am still sort of off put by it. You could've compared it to Ike, who also had quite a lot of people in the crowd second guessing Sakurai making him a heavy, power character. But with Ike, it suits. Cause after all, he's a skilled war veteran who taught himself how to fight (mostly) and swings around a two-handed sword with one arm effortlessy. But with Mac, am just not seeing it...
Maybe Sakurai wanted another nimble-heavy hitter in the vein of Captain Falcon? :p
It's not like Pit wasn't altered to use twin blades for Brawl.. Sometimes they need a little adaptation.

Anyone who can win a fist fight with a gorilla is a power character in my book.
This.
Especially if it's jumping AT you (like in POw), and you can stop him in his tracks with a mere jab.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Looking back, even Little Mac as an AT could KO you at low %s in Brawl.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
When you think about, it was never implied that Mac was weak. The whole "Little Mac" and the idea around it is the fact that a short man of lower weight class is fighting against heavyweights.

Normally, this isn't possible. The fact that Mac could compete against heavyweights means he's strong as hell if anything., especially for his size.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The fact that he could beat a gorilla with punches kind of implies how strong he really is. Oh and the part where he beat Mr. Sandman after he destroyed a building with a punch. :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The one thing that bugs me is that Lil Mac continues the trend of being a boxer in a fighting game with Mike Tyson's boxing style.

To be fair though, I don't blame them for going with that style. It's fitting considering Punch Out is all in your face. That, and something like Muhammad Ali's style would be pretty hard to do justice in fighting games.

Being an outboxer though, here's hoping we get a Muhammad Ali-inspired boxer in a fighting game eventually.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Mike Tyson-inspired boxer" but if Little Mac's style is really inspired by Mike Tyson like you said, then I think it makes sense. The NES game was called Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, not Muhammad Ali's Punch-Out!!.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm not sure what you mean by "Mike Tyson-inspired boxer" but if Little Mac's style is really inspired by Mike Tyson like you said, then I think it makes sense. The NES game was called Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, not Muhammad Ali's Punch-Out!!.
Rushdown. Constantly on your opponents face with a wide variety of punches and applying pressure with speed, immense power and skills. That's pure Mike Tyson infighting.

It's not about which of these two boxers Mac fought, I just don't like the fact that there's only one boxing style that's normally represented in fighting games, and that happens to be Mike Tyson's style. Hilariously enough, the one boxing character that's actually based on Mike Tyson (Balrog) is the one that's the least like him.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if this was brought up here before, or even if it's in the right thread, but how does everyone think a chronological All-Star mode like Brawl would work in terms of when Mac shows up?

Would he be in between the DK Crew and the Ice Climbers because of the arcade Punch-Out, or would he be in between Snake (assuming he's still in) and the Mother gang because of the NES game he debuted in?
It could be the former, since the Mother characters are going by the date the first Mother game came out, yet neither Ness nor Lucas appeared in it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Not sure if this was brought up here before, or even if it's in the right thread, but how does everyone think a chronological All-Star mode like Brawl would work in terms of when Mac shows up?

Would he be in between the DK Crew and the Ice Climbers because of the arcade Punch-Out, or would he be in between Snake (assuming he's still in) and the Mother gang because of the NES game he debuted in?
It could be the former, since the Mother characters are going by the date the first Mother game came out, yet neither Ness nor Lucas appeared in it.
The All-Star mode order in Brawl is kinda questionable. But if Mac had been in Brawl, it would've probably been included between DK and Ice Climbers.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Out of curiosity, how was it questionable?
Yeah I'm wondering that too. While some of the characters don't match up chronologically with appearance, it was based on series debut, so it made perfect sense to me.

In all seriousness Mac would come before ROB.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I think this has been said before, but what about his recolors? i can definitely see his different colors he wore when fighting in different circuits in Punch Out! Wii.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Out of curiosity, how was it questionable?
I always considered DK to be prior to Mario, since Mario didn't get his name until Mario Bros. arcade.
But that's why I said "kinda" questionable. It all depends on who each person considers to be first. I think Donkey Kong as a franchise came before Mario. Mario didn't have a franchise like DK already had. (Mario had random appearances in DK, Wrecking Crew, and THEN Mario Bros.).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I always considered DK to be prior to Mario, since Mario didn't get his name until Mario Bros. arcade.
But that's why I said "kinda" questionable. It all depends on who each person considers to be first. I think Donkey Kong as a franchise came before Mario. Mario didn't have a franchise like DK already had. (Mario had random appearances in DK, Wrecking Crew, and THEN Mario Bros.).
I think it's more or less when both franchises had their start, since Donkey Kong Arcade counts as both franchises' beginnings.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

Has everyone seen this?? This is perhaps one of the greatest trailers for any video game I've ever seen. It's so good.

Also made these sexy-ass gifs for you Punch-Out!! lovers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom