• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I feel like the thread title should be changed to something else given that Mac's confirmed now.

"Doc's Training Lounge" (copyright Banjodorf 2014) is probably better for Tactical Discussion once the game is out. (BEST NAME DO NOT STEAL :troll: )

Hmm....

OH! How about "W.V.B.A. Hall of Fame: Little Mac General Discussion"?
I was the one who edited it, for the sake of letting those who were not aware know, and didn't want to change it drastically without shinhed's consent.

If you guys want this to become the General Discussion thread, it is fine by me. If not, I would be more than willing to make one and sticky it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah. Pretty certain the ridiculous lunge is the side special for exactly the same reasons. He needed a gap closer with all the close range blows anyway, and a regular short hop wouldn't cover THAT distance.

On a side note, could someone stop liking every single post in every thread? It's a little bit concerning, and it takes away from the actual (if limited) value of a number of likes on a post. Thanks in advance.
I apologize, it isn't going to happen.

Anyways, I also believe the ridiculous lunge to be his side special, I couldn't really see a dash attack procuring super armor.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think his specials might go like this?

B: Charged Punch, can cover distance. With a full meter, it turns into a one K.O move. I think the charge (holding B) and meter are unrelated.

Side B: A leaping dodge followed by a downward punch. The beginning and middle of the move acts like a dodge. * The fist glows blue. I do wonder if the meter effects the specials. His glove glows the color of his meter.

Dash attack: Might be similar in animation to the side B without the leaping effect.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Did some research and learned that the KO PUNCH is actually based on the arcade Punch-Out. (Notice how the arcade machine is referenced in his artwork and the trailer? Yeah. Sakurai is using the arcade game and the Wii game for the influence.)

He has to attack to power up the meter but if he gets hit the meter goes down. Balanced KO PUNCH right there.

Last edited:

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Did some research and learned that the KO PUNCH is actually based on the arcade Punch-Out. (Notice how the arcade machine is referenced in his artwork and the trailer? Yeah. Sakurai is using the arcade game and the Wii game for the influence.)

He has to attack to power up the meter but if he gets hit the meter goes down. Balanced KO PUNCH right there.
It's based more heavily off Super Punch-Out's KO Punch I think.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The KO meter was originally in the arcade game. It's the actual influence for the game since it seems Mac was attacking Bowser and Mega Man during the charge up scene in the trailer and not just charging up the meter. Plus the obvious influence from the arcade version.

EDIT: But it does take ideas from the Super Punch Out version of the bar. (I looked into it some more)

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
After the loss of Starfy I'm pleased to have a character I wanted finally get in.

ErictheLone

Smash Apprentice
from deviantart member daeron-red-fire

That site leaves me shaking my head more often than not, but this is pretty amazing. I'd love it if these were the alternate costumes, with the pink jumpsuit also of course. A green-haired wire frame alt would be sweet as well.

Last edited:

grizby2

Smash Lord
What I like about it is that it confirms Melee's momentum. I know that characters got heavily nerfed in Brawl due to the momentum getting removed. So, the physics change will definitely buff characters like Captain Falcon again.
im pretty sure they made that move to match his dash speed, so it gives off the feel of melee physics.

when I think of melee's momentum, im really only thinking about how characters didn't lose momentum when they jumped out from running.
is there a video that shows something like that? im probably not keeping up with the latest news, but yeah. I wouldn't mind seeing the run-->>jump melee momentum again though, as that was one of the few things I really liked from that game.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
They're both the same, actually.
But graphically, it seems inspired on the arcade version.

That site leaves me shaking my head more often than not, but this is pretty amazing. I'd love it if these were the alternate costumes, with the pink jumpsuit also of course. A green-haired wire frame alt would be sweet as well.

Oh my god... That guy made one hell of a job there! All there needs to be done now is Arcade version(s) and pink Jogsuit!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

WOW! Those are solid! Has anyone done Mac's default look with all the different circuit clothing colors yet? Oh man I'm so stoked to see that!

World Circuit colors OP!

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
Found the Bicycle Training or just Training theme. It's really good. Can't wait for the Smash 4 version of it though. :D

About the Dempsey Roll move ... could it be Mac's Side Step dodge animation? I don't know if we've seen that in game yet. It would make the most since, as it's the closest move in Smash Bros that could represent Mac's original gameplay of staying still and dodging.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I've added the official render to the OP.

But I'm not sure what to do with it (the OP) XD
I guess I'll leave it alone just for the nostalgic value.

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Yo peeps, I made an analysis thingy :3 Though I wouldn't be surprised if basically everything I've said has already been addressed. Nonetheless I'll drop it here anyway:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yo peeps, I made an analysis thingy :3 Though I wouldn't be surprised if basically everything I've said has already been addressed. Nonetheless I'll drop it here anyway:

Great informative video there. :D
Sure did shed a little light on some of his moves.

I have a feeling that the attack he was trying to pull off on Wii Fit Trainer was a neutral air, but since I didn't see any other Fair worthy attack, it's safe to say it could be a Fair as well.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
DOOOOOOOODS! MAX IS DOING A BREAKDOWN TYPE THING! YOOOOOO!

Ok i'll never do that again.

That's awesome. Always liked his Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 breakdowns.

Good to see Max being excited over a character in this game. He's one of the coolest guys in the FGC.

EDIT: Guess I wasn't the only one who caught the Steve similarity in his movements haha.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I kinda share your sentiments here. His boxing style is really exaggerated, and there's definitely a lot of instances where he's out of balance lol.

I don't mind though, honestly I'm just glad his style is still traditional even if it is a little over the top.
After thinking about it for a moment I can see why they did that. Since Mac is so short if he did box more realistic then he would have very limited range. Still

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
That's awesome. Always liked his Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 breakdowns.

Good to see Max being excited over a character in this game. He's one of the coolest guys in the FGC.

EDIT: Guess I wasn't the only one who caught the Steve similarity in his movements haha.
Dat namco influence.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was the one who edited it, for the sake of letting those who were not aware know, and didn't want to change it drastically without shinhed's consent.

If you guys want this to become the General Discussion thread, it is fine by me. If not, I would be more than willing to make one and sticky it.
I'd change the bit about "for SSB4" since he's already in. But what titles do you guys have in mind?
Maybe we can all agree on something awesome. :)

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
After thinking about it for a moment I can see why they did that. Since Mac is so short if he did box more realistic then he would have very limited range. Still

Well he's 5'8" in the games...which would give him a range of about 2.8 feet. Plus alot of Mac's style is getting up in the opponent's face by dodging their blows. So yeah.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well he's 5'8" in the games...which would give him a range of about 2.8 feet. Plus alot of Mac's style is getting up in the opponent's face by dodging their blows. So yeah.
Considering Samus is just over 6' and towers over Mac as she did in Brawl (before the Wii size retcon), I think it is safe to assume he is closer to his original height of 4'8" from the NES game.

@ shinhed-echi shinhed-echi - Sounds good to me. Let me know when you guys reach an agreement.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd change the bit about "for SSB4" since he's already in. But what titles do you guys have in mind?
Maybe we can all agree on something awesome. :)
Just put "confirmed" between "WVBA Champion" and "for SSB4". Simple and concise. ;)

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Considering Samus is just over 6' and towers over Mac as she did in Brawl (before the Wii size retcon), I think it is safe to assume he is closer to his original height of 4'8" from the NES game.

@ shinhed-echi shinhed-echi - Sounds good to me. Let me know when you guys reach an agreement.
Samus is supposed to be about 6'3, Little Mac is 5'7 in Punch-Out Wii.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wonder if we're gonna be getting a KONG cameoing among the Punch Out crowd. :)
That's like a staple in the series!
It'd be amusing to see... say, DK Jr. who doesn't really have a place in the current DK franchise, neither is he a priority character for it either.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The Mac is baa-aaaaack!
The Mac's our hero!
The Mac just can't be beat!

Little Mac, and the Punch-Out Adventures!
Coming to Disney XD,
February 30th, 2014!

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
I think we should give the Opening post of this a makeover: Put everything we know about the actual mac in the game there, and all the fan speculation stuff in a spoiler under it. Anyone agrees?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm a little late to the thread but congrats to everyone on this thread. The trailer was great!

I hope the art style is a sign of things to come for the character, with maybe a new game in the pipeline.

Last edited:

turtlelink

Smash Rookie
Man, I loved that comic book styled intro. So hyped for Little Mac. Also, hope Doc appears in the background or at least in Mac's taunts...

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
I realize I am hyper late in saying congrats, but I wanted to wait until the wildfire died down a bit.

Seriously though, congratulations Mac fans! I know you guys have been scratching that Little Mac itch for years and now he's finally ready. Think of it as years of training for this particular time (that would explain why he is so broken in the trailer).

Speaking of which I'll be the first to admit that I never really agreed with Little Mac's inclusion but that trailer changed my perspective completely. What an amazing display of ability and raw power! He looks to be a very interesting character.

Top Bottom