• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Listen to their controller

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Disclaimer: This is really lame.

Basically, your opponent does one of three things when you chaingrab them (with the d-throw d-air).

1. Mash to escape the grab (making a loud clacking sound.)
2. Try to DI/SDI out (almost silent, only making sounds when you throw them.)
3. Survival DI (at high percentages.)

You probably see where this is going, maybe some of you do this already. After CGing an opponent once or twice, it's reeeally easy to tell how they're DIing. You can even glance at their controller out of the corner of your eye to confirm (I told you, this is lame).

If you hear the loud clacking sound, keep going because they aren't going to escape.

If you don't hear much, and they're at mid %s, d-throw -> f-smash (on fastfallers), d-throw -> u-smash (floaties) or similar. DI to escape the chaingrab is also "please kill me" DI, so rather than ever letting them escape the chaingrab, listen to their controller and kill them.

If their already at higher percents, chances are they're trying to stay alive. Survival DI on some characters guarantees that the chaingrab is inescapable, so you can mess up their DI by continuing the chaingrab, and smashing once they switch their DI. Otherwise, use a DI mix-up (u-throw -> f-smash, or b-throw -> d-smash) to kill them.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
it's not that lame, just kind of dirty. After i got to the point where d-throw d-air became a muscle reflex, I didn't just glance at the controller. I'd actually stop looking at the screen sometimes and just watch to see what the opponents hands were doing, especially in the case of Fox/Falco. If it looked like they were going to smash DI away f-smash can kill or at least set up for edge guarding at extremely low percentages. If they were DI'ing towards me (anticipating a smash) i'd just do another round of d-throw d-air.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
CJ (yes that CJ) does watch the opponents controller, it was hilarious when a friend who was in a match against him tried to sit in an angle so CJ couldn´t do it, and CJ changed position a few times when he who faced him also kept switching positions. Forcing CJ to realize it didn´t work against him XD

PB&J

Smash Hero
ive been doing this for a while..it is beast people hate it..and some say that i am lying when i know the direction they are diing..nana is too good...every icy player come to ga and have a icy party

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
sorry i am trapped in in the corn fields of Indiana, don't forget to feel the controller because if you mash you can feel them escaping but mashing a helps slow them down so you want to mash a with Down B

Zjiin

Smash Master
lol, yeah i think every veteran ics player has been a dirty-debbie and done this. It's even funnier when they notice you doing it, and they turn their controllers sideways and completely mess up any chance they have of winning the game like that.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i do this with bowser grabs haha - most people will just hold a direction vs bowser until they realize they're getting headbutted/bit and taking more damage than necessary - as soon as they start to wiggle out i'll throw in the hopes that i'll catch them at a bad moment - making either a nice low % KO or an easy combo out of grab

listening to the controller is a great tech - looking seems a little uhhh overrated and silly XD

Top Bottom