• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide List of Mega Man's Techniques and Tricks

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Few more MB tricks

Up throw opponent when they are relatively high percent, throw MB into ground and at same time watch which way they DI. Then do a rising up air either left or right while grabbing metal blade. They might avoid up air, but they will have a tough time also to be ready for a thrown MB either in air or upon them landing.

It's a bit tricky but you can do the following with MB in hand:
Jump, z-drop, jump, down air(recatch blade), and land with MB in hand and have no landing lag

They will usually block the down air, but usually aren't ready for the thrown MB right when you land

You can use rush from ground, then, jump and throw metal blade downwards. If you don't fast fall it, or hit double jump asap you will land right after rush disappears. You can do some lemons and grab blade, or catch opponent off guard with insta-toss since they figure you'll bounce off rush.

Last edited:

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
Hope I'm not beating a dead horse. But I finally got to play some Smash over the weekend. And got some footage of ledge-trumping to guaranteed BAir.

At kill percents, I think this is one of Mega's best option on the ledge:

Good for mindgames too; eventually your opponents (depending on their distance from the ledge) which try to psych you out and hit you above the ledge. And you can punish them there too.

Something i havent yet tried but could be awesome is to zdrop a metal blade before you trump to mix them up even more

TrianglEYE

Smash Rookie
K so the up throw to the platform is useful... Its something ive been doing for a while. Down throw to lower platforms works well too. The pellet lock you throw in is a great option and can screw up peoples tech timing. Following this up with downsmash seems kinda bad tho... Ive always followed up with either the leaf shields leaves to an up tilt or hitting them with a lemon the doing up tilt... You can also jump into a rush coil to follow them with lemons if you throw them too high... Also you can double jump and catch them with a rushcoil bounce to an up air but the other two options are way effectice... They can tech it but then they either tech in place or roll to a very punishable spot on the ledge... Sometimes i do a df metalblade then up throw them and then grab metalblade and smash throw it at them to cause another tech situation as a mixup.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
That is a great find, I feel like it would really catch people off guard. Could you find the percent range for some of the high tier chars?

TrianglEYE

Smash Rookie
The great thing about megaman is that he is mobile as hell... I think for a MM player its more about your flow and toolset rather than memorizing% of some chars and some platforms... Because megaman moves while putting out stun boxes. if they were at higher percentages then you could follow them closely and jump higher and fall with two lemons... Or do a ff inbetween lemons... Etc... And so on... Mix rush in there... Use dthrow... Leaf locking...

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Found a thing recently: with crash bomber and danger wrap, you can true combo into and out of it.
Crash Bomber
To true combo into it, fire a crash bomber and have it attached. Then, right before the bomb is set to explode, connecting an attack should work. It is true if they are still in hitstun when the bomb explodes.
To combo out of it, just connect an aerial OR A FOOTSTOOL while they are trapped in hitstun after the explosion. Connecting a footstool can lead into several more combos, so I find this extremely useful.
Danger Wrap
To combo into it, use a danger wrap and then try to throw them into it with forward/up throw or connect an aerial into it.
The interesting use is comboing out of it, as you can simply connect an attack while they are currently getting hit by the danger wrap. The best follow ups for this are up smash (close to the ground) and back air as they have high knockback and every hit of both the danger wrap and the attack. (needs testing with up air)
EDIT: This is a true combo at every percent.

Last edited:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Oh yeah, I should probably post this here too in case someone isn't watching the other thread.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Great video! I've been practicing my crash bomb game lately and this gives me some specific combos to practice! :D

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Hmmmmmm! If they miss the tech then that leaf locking looks pretty good. I'll be playing around with this!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Hmmmmmm! If they miss the tech then that leaf locking looks pretty good. I'll be playing around with this!
They can't tech a footstool so if they aren't super fastfallers, its easier to get :) Fox, Greninja and Dedede can roll away before you land tho, since they fall so fast.

HaremofScorpions

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-4315-4375
Nice, gonna be experimenting with this a bit more. You can also use FF dair to get them if you don't want to use Leaf Shield.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Guys!! Putting a LS up and using its shield as a barrier to set up the combo at the beginning of this video is a thing!

https://youtu.be/79Ofn1Gq7gQ

I was able to use LS to create an opening to do this combo against a level 9 DK. The LS hit him and put him in hitstun just long enough for me to do this.

Yet another use for LS, ChopperDave ChopperDave ! I bet PB is even better in this regard!

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Guys!! Putting a LS up and using its shield as a barrier to set up the combo at the beginning of this video is a thing!

https://youtu.be/79Ofn1Gq7gQ

I was able to use LS to create an opening to do this combo against a level 9 DK. The LS hit him and put him in hitstun just long enough for me to do this.

Yet another use for LS, ChopperDave ChopperDave ! I bet PB is even better in this regard!
I'm a little confused. You're saying that the hitstun of Leaf Shield (once it's up) gives you an opening to footstool, guaranteed?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
That's what I am thinking. I believe LS would be the perfect opening to this footstool metal blade combo madness.

Just like what is discussed in the video, we can put up LS, perfect shield a melee attack as needed, and use any created leaf hitstun to help get a footstool which can lead to a metal blade drop which leads to the rest of the combo!

The video says how shielding is a great opening to footstooling, since we can shield while LS'ing, why not? Mega win? :)

Edit: After further testing it seems clear that LS can hit someone out of their airborne footstool stun making LS a gamble during the second footstool of this combo. So, being Mega Men, we merely have to delay our approach while LS is up. Make sure LS runs out after the first footstool, which is pretty much how long you need LS for this tech anyways.

In fact, make it a mind game. Throw up LS and make your opponent guess when you're gonna run in for the footstool combo. Or maybe you'll abandon the combo altogether and do something else to keep them on their toes. That's what Mega Man does, right? :)

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Up tilt cancels on rising platforms (town & City) and upwards slopes (delfino) and Lylat left and right platforms. Its not new but still seems like not a lot knows about it and no-one does it when I watch tournament matches. And thats weird because its insanely strong.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
You can only get that autocancelled utilt on Lylat when the stage is tilted just right though. Essentially you want to end your utilt on higher terrain than when you started and it will autocancel which makes it great (situationally). Best done on the sides of the stage.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Another way to recover from the ledge :
most of the time, thirsty edgeguarders will start using moves that cover multiple get-up options at the same time. If that happens, just fall back from the ledge and use Rush. You should get enough height to turn it into a landing situation, which is easier to deal with since you still have our 2nd jump.

HaremofScorpions

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-4315-4375
Nice, gonna be experimenting with this a bit more. You can also use FF dair to get them if you don't want to use Leaf Shield.
I finally got around to messing with this more, here's what I got from it. I haven't tried it out on a real person yet though just level 9's.

Last edited:

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
Yo, has anyone talked about grabbing a grounded MB by using air dodge, and immediately zdropping it? (R+L) I need someone to test this set up to see what we can get out of it.

Full hop diagonal MB gives you enough time to perform a quick action before landing. You can do all kinds of things like double jump dair, landing pellet, or a rush mixup, but If you position the MB behind the opponent, you can airdodge grab the MB, and land behind them with a 'kara' zdrop, tacking the mb back onto them again! I am unable to test it, but this may be a free grab confirm from full hop diagonal MB.

This can also be useful by SH zdropping a MB on shield repeatedly, dealing tons of shield damage. If you follow up one of these with a uair, or perform the string after a crashbomb, could this be a shield break setup?..

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
Did we mention megaman can ledge cancel rush's lag?
(And all characters can ledgecancel airdodge)

This only works for the way youre facing.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Yo, has anyone talked about grabbing a grounded MB by using air dodge, and immediately zdropping it? (R+L) I need someone to test this set up to see what we can get out of it.

Full hop diagonal MB gives you enough time to perform a quick action before landing. You can do all kinds of things like double jump dair, landing pellet, or a rush mixup, but If you position the MB behind the opponent, you can airdodge grab the MB, and land behind them with a 'kara' zdrop, tacking the mb back onto them again! I am unable to test it, but this may be a free grab confirm from full hop diagonal MB.

This can also be useful by SH zdropping a MB on shield repeatedly, dealing tons of shield damage. If you follow up one of these with a uair, or perform the string after a crashbomb, could this be a shield break setup?..
If that is a thing, it would definitely be an interesting tomahawk-eque like commitment. I like it assuming it works!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Cool must try this. Since its an easy input might as well always buffer the away direction when you grab ledge.
But only on Duck Hunt (and other omega stages with flat sides), Dreamland, and Final Destination.

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
Not a trick, just Some zdrop notes: characters cannot directly zdrop out of the 10 buffer frames (making things like walljumping and rush annoying).

The only solution ive found is to do an invinci-blade (R...A/L) to airdodge zdrop it, buffering an airdodge instead and zdropping during the free frames.

Also, mms jump animation puts his mb behind him all the time when he zdrops, meaning you have to be moving backwards or have the mb in front of you to regrab.
However, running off of a ledge with megaman makes him do a rolling animation. This can allow you to go straight into zdrop->pellet regrab or any aerial.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Something that I throw out and lands me some success is. When you are at a distance of a full forward hop from your opponent with a blade in your hand. Have your back at your opponent > SH > Zdrop > Bair (grab MB) > Zdrop before landing > Usmash. A lot of hit boxes. If you opponent jumps they get baired. If they are standing right under you when you are about to land they don't expect the drop and often gets hit by the Zdrop.You can combo into Utilt and grab etc to ofc and not just Usmash.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Unless that is a rising bair, there is something wrong with your string there. I don't think you have time for 2 Z drops and a bair in one shorthop.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Yes its a rising bair. You Zdrop in your first sh fall a little bit then jump bair before you hit the ground and grab the MB. Before landing you Zdrop again if your opponent is underneath you.

AceOfWaves

Smash Rookie
I have a question. I use standard GameCube controller controls, except I mapped L to grab. I just can't seem to get down the 1, 2, and third sweet spot nair trick that ScAtt uses a lot. He manages to connect the pellets so cleanly together so that when he lands the first two while walking towards the opponent, he just seamlessly does a short hop to connect the third pellet and get that sweet knockback. Could anybody help me out? I just can't seem to pull this off.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I have L set to jump, which makes the tech with a full hop pretty easy.

But, I can also do it consistently with the default controls, and I use that more because the short hop is easier and the short hop makes the tech in some situations much better.

When playing megaman, I kinda keep my finger on both A and Y. I can press both at the same time, or press one and roll my finger to the other for quick input. This is because jumping and firing are essential and must be fluid.

Try keeping your finger over the button. You can buffer the three pellet shot, and then press the jumps, to make it easier, but this is less reactive. I'd sit down and mess with it, or jump on FG and try specifically to get it, because it is very important and powerful for Megaman. The timing isn't so strict, as long as you are pressing A to fire you can input the jump whenever. Sometimes I jump a little sooner, so I can get 2 nairs and so the second one is a landing nair.

Keep at it!

I've asked about the footstool lock being guaranteed (basically asking about ledge falling frame data) in the mechanics thread, so we should have an answer shortly!

AceOfWaves

Smash Rookie
I have L set to jump, which makes the tech with a full hop pretty easy.

But, I can also do it consistently with the default controls, and I use that more because the short hop is easier and the short hop makes the tech in some situations much better.

When playing megaman, I kinda keep my finger on both A and Y. I can press both at the same time, or press one and roll my finger to the other for quick input. This is because jumping and firing are essential and must be fluid.

Try keeping your finger over the button. You can buffer the three pellet shot, and then press the jumps, to make it easier, but this is less reactive. I'd sit down and mess with it, or jump on FG and try specifically to get it, because it is very important and powerful for Megaman. The timing isn't so strict, as long as you are pressing A to fire you can input the jump whenever. Sometimes I jump a little sooner, so I can get 2 nairs and so the second one is a landing nair.

Keep at it!

I've asked about the footstool lock being guaranteed (basically asking about ledge falling frame data) in the mechanics thread, so we should have an answer shortly!
Ah, thank you! I'll definitely pour more hours into trying to nail this down. ;v;

Top Bottom