• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

cjugs

Smash Ace
That's just why link is a low tier when falcons learn the machup it's really hard full hop nairs are good try to be relle good at buffer SH oos and then try and nair or bair and be fast try and jab at his approaches. Your only chance against a good falcon who knows how to play against link to stop his from hitting you combo like a boss and don't mess up any edguards remember dthrow upb at 100.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
ya dthrows work, but these guys are on a higher level then me cuz they tourney regulars n i didnt wanna take the chance to grab since cap is a hard jab grab person. only off of read techs did i grab them. a miss grab cost bout 40 dmg or a stock lol

cjugs

Smash Ace
Dude . . . if there is such a thing as stuttering via text, than yah lol
Whatever.
To be quite honest i play with a peach in my crew but he's a little below my level, but i had a little experience at POE3 and got to play allot of peaches and i held my own. Alot of peaches and i do mean alot really like to dsmash and a miss offers a free grab for link i usually dthrow to uptilt bair about like i do against marth kind of the same combo weight. Once you except you can't Edge guard her you do better i just throw stuff and try to stay under her when she uses her dj to recover but remember she is without a DJ so try to stay underneath her and hit her then send her flying that's about all i can offer i haven't seen to many vids on this one so hopefully skler or stos will comment. double check somehow but i think dthrow dair works on her but you gotta be fast because her nair comes out fast, WATCH OUT for CC dsmash it will ruin your day.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Link vs. Peach requires critical spacing. Meaning moving in and out of her attacking fault line as fast as you could. You'd want to start from mid-range, proceed to close-range and then make you way out (resetting the cycle) starting from mid-range again.

Long-range to Mid-range (although I recommend Mid Range because going in would be a lot quicker). : Use lots of Rangs a bombs. Also FJ Nair to Nair or DJ to: Nair, Fair, Retreating Rangs to shield give you that mid-range pressure leading into the close-range pressure. When having this distance battle, you'd want to be in the air for the most part. Also using platforms, jumping from the mid platforms to the top platform can buy you some time when you feel like you need to reset the situation. Don't forget, Link's grab is sort of a mid-range move. But bottom line is: Use lots of bombs.

Moving in should be covered by the projectiles which can lean into pressuring Peach or even a grab. When crossing her attack fault line, make sure you have a bomb out, a bomb in hand while approaching can control you opponents movement. I recommend throwing bombs over their head when approaching. Anyways, when you're applying pressure, stick with quick moves: lots of jabs, fair/nair/bair pressure, jab to aerial mix-ups. I personally think grabbing in this match-up is really important especially at low percentage to rack up quick-easy damage. Plus an Dthrow at mid-percentage can situate an Up-air or two. Don't forget to use the first two jabs to read your opponents shielding decision. A predicted continuation of your opponent shielding can lead into a grab so don't forget to use jabs as a reading tool. Once you've racked up damage (it doesn't have to be a huge given percentage, it could range from 10%-30%) Make your way out and change it up. Although if you have him fully contained keep with the pressure, but watch out for the Nair OOS, you won't even see it coming.

The toughest thing about this match-up is creating the opportunity and knowing when to move in.

Taking a stock off takes a lot of patients. I recommend for you to space in mid-range. Bomb to Dair/Uair (90%+)usually does the work but hitting Peach with a bomb also takes a lot of positioning and carefully placed jumps around her, patients. Grab to Dthrow to Uair or Dair also works, watch your opponents DI. FJ Nair Pressure to Dair (will work once but that's about it, only use this when you know your opponent is extremely pressured). Honestly, Nair can do so much things. A successful hit from a FJ Nair can lead into a DJ Close Range Rang *Land* into a FJ Uair.

This match up requires a lot of jumping around lol.

Play around with the match-up, you'll get used to it.

Also crouch canceling is critical, it can make or break a situation for Link. When you get a CC Dsmash, it can lead into sex combos which can give them like 30%+, if you try to CC but Peach ends up getting out a Dsmash, you get atleast 20%+. The trick is carefully watching your charcaters (both yours and your opponent's). If Peach gets extremely low, hold up on the control stick(but you're taking damage, failed CC :( ) or CC to Fulljump Nair (takes practice, to get the right timing which also depends on which move Peach is using.) You can also try CC to grab, but good luck with that. If there's space from her and the ground: Dsmash.

- SH Bair DJ to Aerial should only be used for combos or spaced pressured. If not spaced, Link can get hit by a Nair OOS.

- Do not land in front or behind Peach, that's a nono.

- Watch out for Dsmash on Platforms, Bair to Dsmash and Aerial to running attack.

It's a tricky match-up, you need a lot of practice and experience to keep up with Peach. I personally think Peach as a slight advantage in this match-up.

Edit: PS- Harder than said, this match-up is stupid.

Edit 2: You really can't edge-guard peach. You can by throwing bombs and rangs. A FJ To DJ Fair out of the stage may work but it's really risky but can get the job done. When you see Peach going for the edge, use the rang downwards. When you have the egde, roll, it's your bestfriend trust me lol.

But really, you can't really edge-guard Peach, what you have to do is follow her around and then when she lands, grab or Up B. But while your following use bombs and rangs to cover certain spots. Throwing bombs upwards can force Peach to change flight pattern.

I recommend finishing Peach vertically.

Btw this is only like a tad bit of Link's offensive game against Peach.. There's too much to cover (defensive and coverage game).

Hopefully that helped.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
ya this is pretty much stuff i kno, i was more leaning to how u feel the match-up is. with the exception that she can edge guard u n u cant her, i feel this is a pretty even match-up. like u said, u do have to kill her vertically n i feel the only way to rlly do that is the dthrow uair since his dair cant rlly be pulld out quickly enough to get around her nair. but that doesnt mean u cant do it

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Playing Link takes a lot of practice and creativity. He's not the character who has a move that you can lean on for the majority of the time. Yes, there is the neutral kick but that can only do so much that Link needs to starts apply other moves.

A player with a blank page of creativity will go far with Link.

Skler

Smash Master
Peach def has the advantage against Link. Her shield pressure is far too powerful along with her solid edgeguarding and other shenanigans.

Link's advantage is slightly more range and bombs.

Peach is pretty good. Bair combos on her are sexy though. You can chain two of them fairly easily at any given time on her. It's so hot. Kick kick kick kick.

Edit: Falcon's knee trades with Link's nair. If both are done at the perfect time the strong knee trades with the strong nair, and the weak knee trades with the weak nair if neither is timed correctly.

Strong knee does hit through weak nair though, whereas I'm not sure if the strong nair straight up beats the weak knee.

HiIH

Smash Lord
I have pretty much thrown Link's second jab out of my game. It seems useless too me. If I land the first they usually DI away so the second misses anyway. Then I get ****ed. Even when I shield pressure I just space the first jab or go all three and poke a *****. jab-grab, jab-D-tilt, jab U-tilt, jab up-B, jab retreat to projectile. I find no use for Link's second jab. what you guys think?
Huh? 2nd jab is to good, gives free damage, and keeps that fox away if he managed to get to close. If you think you're gonna get punished you still have your secret THIRD stab/illusion stab.

2nd jab is safe, and just free damage. All the other stuff can get crazy punished, and should only be used as a mixup.

Jab Dsmash is too good, especially into shields. If you space a jab on someones shield, and wait a decent amount of time, most people will just sit there, and let their shield shrink to get Shield stabbed. If you see they're gonna come after you, that's when you use the second jab, then you either nair/boomerang away, go into your shield, or try to knock them down with the third jab

wat do we think of the link vs peach match-up?
I effin hate the peach matchup. Like Link doesn't really have anything on her, besides like bair>djinterruptableframes>dair at low percentages. And those are dangerous. It's just a war of attrition, and turnips frickin suck. And spacin fairs are alright.

Uairs are also what I seem to kill peaches with the most. Or utilts -_- ***** won't die. Also, watch out for shield pressure. A Fc'd fair>jab>jab>dsmash will eat your shield to itty bitty lengths, and then you're still in trouble, unless you manage to time a grab before she floats. Or you didn't get shield stabbed.

skler said:
Strong knee does hit through weak nair though, whereas I'm not sure if the strong nair straight up beats the weak knee.
I think The weak knee hits through nair regardless, unless you're like right on top of him.

Also, wtf do you do with IC's. I went up against one this weekend, and didn't even play wobbles (who was there). I just know I lost ._. I tried to keep nana and popo seperated, and once I could get nana down it wasn't really a problem, but I had a problem, uhh, denying area. Any tips for the matchup?

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
im pretty positive the nair will go thru the weak knee, especially if ur above (u shuld be full jumping anyways i think)

wit the ICs, u have to play them on platform, so of course strike FD. stay above them cuz their aerial game is weak. alot of ppl make the mistake of goin after nana wen they seperate, but in fact u focus on popo and if theres is a window to get a quick quick on nana then take it. other wise, popo will attack n the dsmash by them is no joke. n always remember there are two climbers, so their smashes have alot long frame hit then anyone else

Skler

Smash Master
ICs are hilarious. You play platform keep away until you kill nana.

Then you keep on doing it because Popo can still **** you off a grab and still has bad aerial mobility/aerials that aren't up or back.

Basically spam bombs forever.

Edit: Seriously though, ICs are the only character(s) where camping them out is far and away your best option.

Skler

Smash Master
Popo has better mobility than Link.

However Link barely has better mobility than a bowl of pudding. Except in the air, he has something like the 6th best aerial mobility in the game. That's pretty solid, Link!

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
the ICs crouch game is too strong to ever approach wen they are togther. a landed dair culd help piece them apart bout a miss u cost u a stock

cjugs

Smash Ace
Popo has better mobility than Link.

However Link barely has better mobility than a bowl of pudding. Except in the air, he has something like the 6th best aerial mobility in the game. That's pretty solid, Link!
PLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASEEEEE Explain to me how his mobility in the air works because that statement sounds so wrong when i try to move around. I just don't think keep away works but idk maybe your right i find that an IC are not as good when you pressure then i play a pretty good one and i just throw stuff and combo off bombs but how and who moves around in the air well as link???

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Would you guys like me to mod in here? The position is available and I could volunteer for it. I do play Melee Link but I'm really bad and don't know alot about him, but I can help sticky threads organise this place a bit better and keep unwanted spam (projectile spam is okay). :p

But by the looks of things, you guys are doing pretty well on your own. :link:

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
how well can link juggle wit his bair? next time we have a smashfest, i wanna see bout possibly juggling gannon across the board with bairs. of course, dat prolly wuldnt work to well in an actual battle but i was able to shffle two nairs, dtilt n then a double nair finisher on ganon last night

cjugs

Smash Ace
Would you guys like me to mod in here? The position is available and I could volunteer for it. I do play Melee Link but I'm really bad and don't know alot about him, but I can help sticky threads organise this place a bit better and keep unwanted spam (projectile spam is okay). :p

But by the looks of things, you guys are doing pretty well on your own. :link:
If the position is open and we have a link mod then i'm all for it.

HiIH

Smash Lord

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
how well can link juggle wit his bair? next time we have a smashfest, i wanna see bout possibly juggling gannon across the board with bairs. of course, dat prolly wuldnt work to well in an actual battle but i was able to shffle two nairs, dtilt n then a double nair finisher on ganon last night
lol it will work on donald...so who are the amateurs lol

cjugs

Smash Ace
Against peach at 2:00 u could have shaken out of your tumble and used the hookshot to make it back. You did alot of trying to get out of peaches shield pressure which is almost impossible you should wait till after the dsmash then grab look at what you did at 49 that was perfect and you had alot more chances to do that see 1:34. You see at 2:24 how you jumped away and grabbed a bomb and she hit you with a dash attack but it could have been worse i like to jump away boomerang if you had done that you would have hit her at very close rang and probably could have landed a dair after. I would probably say the biggest things you should do are work on upb oos but only when you will get it like a smash attack into your shield or something laggy. try to add more fairs into your game it has more rang than nair. I didn't like how that peach taunted after she won at brinstar that was pretty weak. Don't feel bad though because that peach looked really good i though the fox and falcon were ehhhh.
If i'm not clear enough ask me again and ill give you examples of what i'm talking about.

HiIH

Smash Lord
i don't think IC can chaingrab link.
lolol, yeah popo can by himself at lower percnetages, and then a good one can **** you with desync combos, like dthrow>nana fsmash>popowdashregrab>throw>nana handoff> dthrow>nanadsmash.

seen wobbles and chudat do this ****. Platforms can make the matchup better, but the punishment is just as bad. Plus you can get ghetto cg'd by dthrow>nana dair>popo grab. It's lame, and lots of stupid things work on Link.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
HiIH-dthrow u-air kills peach. seems like u simply just need to know match-ups a lil better and the proper finishers. saw u dair'd falcon on dreamland. the ceiling on DL is way to high to kill with that. and wen u tech chase falcon (fox/falcon) with ur throws, simply face the direction that they di in. cuz if they roll behind u can turn grab, if they dont tech, jab jab grab n if they roll away its a step in grab

cjugs- ya ICs can chaingrab any heavy character. yoshi, link sheik n ganon are their favorites

cjugs

Smash Ace
HiIH-dthrow u-air kills peach. seems like u simply just need to know match-ups a lil better and the proper finishers. saw u dair'd falcon on dreamland. the ceiling on DL is way to high to kill with that. and wen u tech chase falcon (fox/falcon) with ur throws, simply face the direction that they di in. cuz if they roll behind u can turn grab, if they dont tech, jab jab grab n if they roll away its a step in grab

cjugs- ya ICs can chaingrab any heavy character. yoshi, link sheik n ganon are their favorites
Chaingrab with what? dthrow dair doesn't work because link is to heavy and floaty he can jump out of it unless there is another form of chaingrabing.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Chaingrab with what? dthrow dair doesn't work because link is to heavy and floaty he can jump out of it unless there is another form of chaingrabing.
are we talkn about melee or brawl, cuz idk how link is in brawl but in melee u cant be both heavy and floaty. popo can dthrow chaingrab link by himself, no nana required in melee

HiIH

Smash Lord
dair doesn't pop him out, it resets him. Like a jab, and before that hitstun wears off the desynced popo runs forward and regrabs. It's extremely lame.

cjugs

Smash Ace
are we talkn about melee or brawl, cuz idk how link is in brawl but in melee u cant be both heavy and floaty. popo can dthrow chaingrab link by himself, no nana required in melee
Sopo's chaingrab can be done for awhile but it's rellllle hard if link DI's hard away He's actually probably gonna get away at like 30 . Are you surea bout that? link's heavy yes but he's a not a fast faller so i think he's floaty. Sheik is a light fast faller If he's not a heavy floaty then what is he?
Does anyone on here get on aim?

soju

SD God
Anyone suggest using the hookshot to counter Marth's fair as sorta a mindgame?
Haha I've always wanted to use my Link as a counterpick against the pretty boy since
my Pikachu and Mario cant do a gosh darn thing against a good marth's superior range.

I already use the hookshot as an offensive move. . .lol and its pretty decent against the
Marth I go against, but he isnt a pro marth :/ But he's good XD

Skler

Smash Master
PLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASEEEEE Explain to me how his mobility in the air works because that statement sounds so wrong when i try to move around. I just don't think keep away works but idk maybe your right i find that an IC are not as good when you pressure then i play a pretty good one and i just throw stuff and combo off bombs but how and who moves around in the air well as link???
Link has better aerial control than the ICs.

Basically his DI is more responsive in the air. On the ground he's the slowest mofo ever.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Anyone suggest using the hookshot to counter Marth's fair as sorta a mindgame?
Haha I've always wanted to use my Link as a counterpick against the pretty boy since
my Pikachu and Mario cant do a gosh darn thing against a good marth's superior range.

I already use the hookshot as an offensive move. . .lol and its pretty decent against the
Marth I go against, but he isnt a pro marth :/ But he's good XD
counter his fsmash with your shield then shield grab him.

Top Bottom