• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

cjugs

Smash Ace
Alright if this is the Q&A, then where should the social thread be? Create a new one? Thanks for your feedback as always Cjugs you're the best.
Well you know.
The social thread should be combined with the Q/A because there are only like 4 of us who get on the link boards anyway.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
well we have a smashfest today, so ima put on a bunch of vids vs mario, falco and sheik. critique me hard cuz i want learn else wise and remember that i dont own the game to play much nor do i go to tournaments

cjugs

Smash Ace
well we have a smashfest today, so ima put on a bunch of vids vs mario, falco and sheik. critique me hard cuz i want learn else wise and remember that i dont own the game to play much nor do i go to tournaments
mk hurry and put it up remember when you said you wanted to win the tourny with link? howed that go whered you end up placing?

I can't play today Geometry is still ****** me hard.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
how long have you all been playing?

from those videos it just seems like you're a better overall player. no major flaws, but definetly not perfect, but you play a character with a low ceiling.

You make good use of nair plane'ing off the side for edge-guard.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
I've been playing competitively for about a year and a half now. But haven't really been tourney friendly yet. Low ceilings help the dair for kills

cjugs

Smash Ace
Nice,i have to say tho your friends don't play agressive at all except maybe the mario u should jump out and nair the mario because he is very volerable during his process of recovering like mainly with his down b. i noticed you have a little trouble killing people particuarly the mario and falco the falco i noticed didn't have very good shield pressure so you could have upbed oos after he tried to double shine and thats a free kill the peach your probably going to look for a grab and then upair my best option. You also do quite a bit of djs which is ok but you do it alot like when it comes to throwing stuff eventually good players particuarly falcon are going to wait for u to land and grab and try and upair u and u are screwed without a 2nd jump. also i noticed you got shield grabbed alot when you tried to approach with nair u have to Di back immediatly to not get shield grabbed or buffer spot dodged i know how annoying it is to be shield grabed, i thought you were pretty good i loled alot at the mom yelling about the spider and wtf with the lady ga ga? howed we go from bon jovi to her?
P.S teach the falco he has other finishers than dthrow techase lol!!

huMps

Smash Ace
your style of play is very similar to mine. I thought you looked good. I notice that when your opponent is camping you spam projectiles then usually come in with a nair. if there just sitting in there shield I'de fair instead, you can space it much better into your jabs and shield pressure. straight on nairs usually lead to getting shield grabbed.
jugs is right they all (from the ones I watched) played very campy. which is dumb against link.
you have some very good edge guarding against that falco btw

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
iight thanks guys. being sheild grabbed is my #1 problem outside of missing cancels and edge guards. so ill deff work on the DI away. i know mario is highly vulnerable after his down-b, i usually will hit wit a fair or nair, depending on where im standing. as for the music, i wasnt in control of that at all, is was blasting in the other room. but good looks on the advice guys. ill try n get some more next week. only got till Oct 2nd to get these stupid mistakes cleared

Skler

Smash Master
I think when he said "low ceiling" he meant that Link can only get so good.

I slightly disagree, Link can be pretty good. He just doesn't have much of a chance in a few very crucial matchups (Fox, Sheik and Falcon, mostly).

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
well that's what this whole thread was intended to determine. everyone has a mind-set that link is "low-ceiling", but I've impressed a few ppl with my link, I kno u have skler(who I still need to critique my vids if u don't mind) n I believe with the rise of "floaty character" link has a better chance nowadays then he did before

-tRiNiTy-

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I pretty much agree with the rest of the cast, it's kinda weird to see that we all have the same playing styles lol
You could try to implement some more FJ to RJed aerials if you wanna bait shield grabs (and since you're so vulnerable to them, your usual opponents should be easier to trick ;P).

Hmm I may post some vids of my Link too one of these days, it's really been a while since I last uploaded something.

Oh and Link > Floaties. Seriously, it's almost like they're begging for projectiles x)

cjugs

Smash Ace
My playstyle is very different not at agressive and i have fairly good spacing.
I disagree link has less of a chance now because he is so popular people are learning how to play against him.
I agree with skler i think someone with a sheik or spacies main with a link secondary that he used against floaties could definetly win a tourny except for if he plays spacies than there's no reason to switch to link.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
you and pine have fun. the mario player is suppose to be my teammate for the upcoming tourney. we'll try and get some team vids up next week. any pre-post advice?

huMps

Smash Ace
space better on your airial approaches. I think thats your biggest thing. I still dont see how you guys think fox is a worse match up than falco. I am getting a little better against falco but I still find fox to be a much more tolerable opponent. /:

*** shiek though. for real

cjugs

Smash Ace
Because you haven't played a good enough fox to show you how the matchup is impossible and falco is much easier to edguard.
Sheik may not b so gay if not for the CG

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Like take him out as in beat him? cool
If you mean hang out go to ihop or golden corral buffets with alot of guys is awesome we tear that **** up!
keep the homo out tho lol, just got done with 3 females last night, off da hook in the club.

fox n falco can be easily harder then the other pending ur opponent. fox is mad dangerous cuz he can waveshine u blind, shine spiken his speed makes his usmash mad dangerous after u hit 90% dmg pending the stage. falco just combos u all day n lets u hold his lasers whiles he out hittin fox's girl

huMps

Smash Ace
I play very good foxes. you can DI out of a fox combos. you cant DI out of lazer range and it makes his combos potentially endless. Watch jesiahTEG vs darkrain or pika pika(a recent one). He's very good though.

Skler

Smash Master
Like take him out as in beat him? cool
If you mean hang out go to ihop or golden corral buffets with alot of guys is awesome we tear that **** up!
Well, smash brothers was involved in our night of debauchery.

Yes, I spelled that word correctly on my first try. Being an English major sure is working out well!

cjugs

Smash Ace
I play very good foxes. you can DI out of a fox combos. you cant DI out of lazer range and it makes his combos potentially endless. Watch jesiahTEG vs darkrain or pika pika(a recent one). He's very good though.
Except for falcos combos can be DIed out of because he focuses around only one combo and that one is harder to land fox has a thousand and one options and you can't Di out of his if the fox is good.
Ok what is the really good fox?

Skler must have thought your link was already perfect thats y he didn't comment.

I won''t tell anyone if you back me up on why fox ***** link 10x harder than falco does.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
CJ you made me really good against Link. Played against some good (lol) links recently and its hella easy mode.

Falco and fox both **** link bad. But I guess Fox is a worse MU

cjugs

Smash Ace
Haha Good **** same with IC's but i only played two other IC's than you and it was far to easy i must have faired a million times what link's did you getta play?
If falco could gimp link easier than he would be better vs link.

Skler

Smash Master
U kno skler, u nevr did critique me at all. Kinda hurts my feelins a lil
I spend most of my time trying to do work at school and end up writing really long posts. It's sort of a curse. I'll try and hop to it now.

Edit: I just watched a few of them (I'll get to the others a bit later) and right now there's two main points that I feel could be made. You do very well though and I don't see all that many things that can be improved significantly.

1. Your move choice is sometimes strange. You do a few usmashes during combos on Falco, for example. Usmash is a really bad combo move (it's pretty much only useful as an OOS move and to hit through platforms), it's too easily DIed out of. Sometimes you dash attack seemingly on accident, or other moves that may not be meant to come out. Maybe cutting down on excess movement a bit will help.

2. Your spacing is off at times. Against Mario this was most noticeable for me. He's really difficult to keep spacing against and he's one of the characters you have to be most precise against as his range almost equals yours. This is also why it's so important to space perfectly against him. Your game could use some more jabs or retreating aerials to improve your spacing against somebody like Mario. They're Link's best spacing tools in general and I just don't feel they get the use they deserve from you. Sometimes you use them to great effect, but they're also useful just to toss out in a situation where you're not sure of what to do.

If I notice anything else when I get to watching more I'll probably just post again instead of editing, but who knows?

huMps

Smash Ace
The difficulty of the two match ups is definitely an oppinion to a certain degree, coming from your own playstyle and your opponents. JesiahTEG is a very good fox falco marth etc. though

**** shiek

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
cjugs- ill deff back u that fox is a harder match-up but wuldnt be if falco culd gimp better. i honestly feel is u can keep urself from gettn lazr'd in da face then falco isnt as hard. but a good falco, will combo u all day. if he constantly waveslides out of his shine, its simple for him to adjust to ur DI

skler-ya there many mistakes i make (random movements) n if i had my phone's vids itd be easier to show. but times where i wanna utilt, but usmash instead, where i ftilt wen im tryin jab-grab, and i dash attack wen im tryin to ftilt. i have to say, thats its rlly lil mistakes like those that r wats rlly wrong wit my game outside of spacing. n no johns, but its prolly simply do to the fact that i dont ever play but once a week with my boys

Skler

Smash Master
I totally missed this post.

Fox is 100x harder than Falco because you can't catch him if he camps you. Falco can't circle camp you and thus doesn't have a guaranteed win on a lot of stages. Lasers as an extremely powerful tool but they aren't anything compared to Fox's mobility and general best character in the game shenanigans.

Yes, you can survive to around 150 vs Falco even if they're good. Against Fox you're lucky if you reach 100.

@pacman
I hardly ever play either (a lot less than once per week now that I'm back in school) but just cutting down on random DDing and trying to be fast will work wonders. I used to try and be a really technical Link, then I decided precise control is more important than speed.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Look at your videos, now back to mine. Now back at your video now back to mine.
Sadly it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling & started posting legitimate videos it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, writing the comment your comment could look like. What did you post? Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again the reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible with legit comments. I'm in a chair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

cjugs

Smash Ace
I totally missed this post.

Fox is 100x harder than Falco because you can't catch him if he camps you. Falco can't circle camp you and thus doesn't have a guaranteed win on a lot of stages. Lasers as an extremely powerful tool but they aren't anything compared to Fox's mobility and general best character in the game shenanigans.

Yes, you can survive to around 150 vs Falco even if they're good. Against Fox you're lucky if you reach 100.

@pacman
I hardly ever play either (a lot less than once per week now that I'm back in school) but just cutting down on random DDing and trying to be fast will work wonders. I used to try and be a really technical Link, then I decided precise control is more important than speed.
FINALLY I FELT LIKE I WAS TAKING CRAZY PILLS. ty too pacman.
Skler do you ever use diigo.com for English papers? i'm doing one now and im having a horrible timeusing it trying to do a anotative bibligraphy and apparently it does your works cited page for you but idk how u being a english sub and all i figured you'd know :)
how does bair to grab work? i usually bair lcancel smash the analog and then jc grab is there a faster way?

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
skler-well im just inexperienced as is. i kno from wat ive seen and i notice that i kno how to combo just bout every character now, but i tend to try and force my combos on them, so i figured that if i sent back n jus let the fingers tell their own story it will be a lot better. not every match has to be a combo video

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
ay do u guys think it wuld be bettr if ur gettn combo'd by falco to try and DI behind him? most falcos will pillar foward off of a waveslide. so wuldnt it b a lot harder for thm to hit if u go behind?

Skler

Smash Master
DIing behind forces them to do slightly more difficult reverse WDs out of their shines. It also allows them to potentially bair you out of it, so it depends on your percent. Lowers %s = DI behind, higher %s = DI forward to avoid the KO.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
right, well the bair will only be rlly effective if u dont release ur DI quick enough or ur by the edge. low ceilings can leave u vulnerable to a shine uair n shine nair can b pretty effective against us too (which we also have to remember to keep them guessing as to which way we'll DI lol). as for ganon, how wuld u recommend to avoid his waveslide bair/dair edgeguard. for the most part i can interrupt it wit a projectile, but some times u never kno wat the ganon is finna do until he attacks

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
yeah i meant links potential is low.

link can **** all the character he wants, but it wont matter because hes never going to be fast enough to not get ***** by fox. his weight is never going to not get him CG'ed by sheik. and falcon will always be able to kill him out of half the grabs he gets.

sorry to break up the love train u guys had going on.

Top Bottom