• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Side-Special?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd hate to see the Gale Boomerang back again. And I'm thinking it won't. If they are opting for something entirely different I'd wanna see either the Skyward Strike, or the Shield Bash.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I hope the Gale boomerang doesn't return. Or atleast, make it more useful.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Gale Boomerang will never be usable. The fairy spirit of the Gale Boomerang forbids it.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
I'm a Link main and I can officially say that the Gale Boomerang is one of his most versatile attacks.

It is good for parrying against projectile attacks,knocking foes down leading to some decent combos, and keeping your opponent at bay.

His side special will most likely be a boomerang of sorts since he has had one since SSB64.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Skyward Strike attack kinda LOOK like a Boomerang...

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I don't like the idea of his boomerang being replaced with a Skyward Strike. How would they balance it? In SS he has to charge it up, would it still require charging in SSB or would he instantly shoot it out? Since it's also a really large projectile, would it travel far and do little damage or be really strong and have poor range? Overall I feel like the boomerang is a staple at this point and shouldn't be replaced. Get rid of the pull effect and make it a useful projectile again that does damage both going out and coming back.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mario Tornado was also a staple till Brawl.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah, but the boomerang is a stable to not only Smash but for the Zelda series as well. By my count, he's had a boomerang in 14 different Zelda games... that's pretty dang impressive.

I think the boomerang's here to stay.

Besides, the ability to throw off an angled projectile that rebounds off of terrain is fantastic for zoning. I love the boomerang, even if it isn't that glorious in Brawl. Giving it a small stun effect would really help differentiate it.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
One of (Toon/Young) Link's biggest strengths has always been the ability to put a wall of hitbox down the field with his projectiles, and the boomerang is awesome for that. I think and hope it is going to stay.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
It'd be kind of annoying if SSB4 kept all of Link's Twilight moves and attributes and gave no references to Skyward Sword. It almost seems lazy in a sense, and since Skyward Sword is the first console Zelda game not to include the boomerang in some way, It's only natural that it had always been in Smash before.That being said, I'm REALLY hoping that Link's side B uses the beetle as there are so many possibilities for it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree with everything above, but instead of the Beetle, I want Skyward Strike.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Why would it be a placeholder? They're having to make all the models from scratch, and it's clearly new. They're hardly going to go to all that effort for a placeholder.
That does make sense. The game is still in development however, and anything is bound to change.

While it probably isn't a placeholder, they may still decide to change the attack later.

My apologies for the late reply. At the time my alert preferences weren't set to alert me for someone quoting my posts.

IYM!

Smash Lord
remove the boomerang isn a good idea. . .
we can do a lot of things with it; the only thing than i dont want to see back is the wind effect

and more damaging specials

bombs : 10- 12% instead of 8- 10%
boomerang 8% at throw 4% at back instead of 4% at throw 0% at back
bow: 6% uncharged 18% fully charged instead of 4% uncharged 12% charged and qith more knock back.

.-. IMO

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just keep the Boomerang. It's FAR more iconic to Link than Beetle or Skyward Strike.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No it's not actually. Skyward Strike represents the Sword Beam attacks from earlier games. And it was quite damn important in Skyward Sword.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Boomerangs are in most of the early games too, as well as pretty much every Zelda title. Afaik, there's more games with boomerang and no sword beam than there are games with the sword beam and no boomerang.And the early games + SS really aren't nearly as iconic as the combined effect of all the games that do include the boomerang.Way more people (probably aided by smash too) know he has the boomerang- it's pretty much one of his main and most essential tools.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played SS, so I don't know what the beetle did, but what if they just reskinned the boomerang as the beetle? It would keep the move, but give Skyward Sword some representation, which it needs since he's in his TP design.

IYM!

Smash Lord
the wind concept in the boomerang was cool in TP, but in smash. . . push the opponent toward us?
yes sakurai! that was so clever. would be great if the effect of the boomeang, when it is coming back to us, was the same than Mario's cape.

Or knock him up a little to stopo the attemp of attack of the opponent, and leave him open to a combo or a finisher :D IMO

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I haven't played SS, so I don't know what the beetle did, but what if they just reskinned the boomerang as the beetle? It would keep the move, but give Skyward Sword some representation, which it needs since he's in his TP design.

You'd throw out the beetle and then control it's flight with motion controls. It'd hit switches and scout out little nooks and crannies... later on, it was used to pick up and drop bombs.

Didn't like it. Super slow and boring. Also, it in no way functioned like the boomerang... Its Smash equivalent would be Snake's Nikita missile.

Overall, I guess I just am strongly opposed to the idea of replacing his boomerang with the beetle. He's TP Link... they can put in SS representation through other things, such as the Skyloft level!

And Impa.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
You'd throw out the beetle and then control it's flight with motion controls. It'd hit switches and scout out little nooks and crannies... later on, it was used to pick up and drop bombs.

Didn't like it. Super slow and boring. Also, it in no way functioned like the boomerang... Its Smash equivalent would be Snake's Nikita missile.

Overall, I guess I just am strongly opposed to the idea of replacing his boomerang with the beetle. He's TP Link... they can put in SS representation through other things, such as the Skyloft level!

And Impa.
Welp, I was just brainstorming. LONG LIVE THE BOOMERANG!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Welp, I was just brainstorming. LONG LIVE THE BOOMERANG!

Oh-- it wasn't directed at you specifically. Several other people have proposed the same idea.

I just suspect that the Beetle is a one-shot kind of item that we won't be seeing very often, so it's best to leave Link with his most iconic items. Which, to me, would also mean getting rid of the iffy wind effect on the boomerang to bring it in-line with what most of the boomerang's appearances have been like.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I can also see the beetle working like Snake's missiles in Brawl, but I think they could also buff it and make it be able to fly to items and grab them, like in Skyward sword. Also, they could make the beetle drop items on opponents for extra damage. It's just a thought, but it would hopefully give Link a higher ranking in the tier list

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I might be crazy, but I think I saw Link in a landing pose that looked like he had just used the Vertical Spin Attack on the smash site. I'm probably over-thinking things, though.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Gale Boomerang has nitch uses, but the cons outwieghed the pros.

I'm more interested in his UpB height tbh, since that was the main thing that made Link icky in Brawl.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I don't like the idea of his boomerang being replaced with a Skyward Strike. How would they balance it? In SS he has to charge it up, would it still require charging in SSB or would he instantly shoot it out? Since it's also a really large projectile, would it travel far and do little damage or be really strong and have poor range? Overall I feel like the boomerang is a staple at this point and shouldn't be replaced. Get rid of the pull effect and make it a useful projectile again that does damage both going out and coming back.
When you in hero mode and get all three flames, his Skyward Strike becomes almost instant. So there's that.

Forde

Smash Cadet
I mean, I could see side B becoming a Skyward Strike, hold side B to charge it more for a more powerful attack, down B could still be bombs, but that's just my opinion.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
remove the boomerang isn a good idea. . .
we can do a lot of things with it; the only thing than i dont want to see back is the wind effect

and more damaging specials

bombs : 10- 12% instead of 8- 10%
boomerang 8% at throw 4% at back instead of 4% at throw 0% at back
bow: 6% uncharged 18% fully charged instead of 4% uncharged 12% charged and qith more knock back.

I think Link had the ideal moveset in Brawl. My brothers main character is Link and he plays with him very good. And he use the wind of the boomerang '' perfect ''. For example: If use Ganondorf his B + UP for his recovery, my brother waft him out. ^^ In my opinion the most of Link players are to bad with him or they don't spend enough time with him. ^^

Its important to know, not all characters have to just make enough damage and defeat an other character. Something characters defeat characters in an other way. For example Pit:

In the air or on the ground: If you are next to a character and you use wings of icarus ( B + UP ) you take a point, when the character fall out the stage. ^^ Its unimportant whether a enemy hit your aim character or not. ^^

Next example:

Take Mr. Game & Watch and your enemy have to take a toxic mushroom / mini mushroom ( for practice )... how ever it's called. ^^ The aim character have to above Mr. Game & Watch, than use A + up. Its an Instand death attack. ^^

Every character have different ways to defeat the enemy. ^^ Link has some ways too. But you have to use this ways. ^^ Most gamers think: '' Hit the character and make a knock out. '' Its wrong to think this...

Sorry if I'm wrong. ^^ But thats my opinion.

IYM!

Smash Lord
yes dark pit, your opinion is valid, but you are wrong in some aspects

1) i dont know how much time you had spend on link, or your brother, but i main link since 2001, in all smash games, so, say than the porblem is " we dont spend enough time in link" is a bad reasoning. I am not an expert or a master in smash, but i kow a couple things about link, and how to use him well.

2) I also win constantly with Link, but in other times i also lose, i play the best i can, but like "beteran" than i am, i can clearly see his weak points and his flaws. If you want to say han link is good, is ok, is your opinion, but, you cant use as argument this "my brother wins constantly" cuz he isnt a pro gamer, either i, so our arguments, if we based in our experiens are just mere opinions.

3) Link is bad, inst a posibility, is a fact, he is slow, have lag on his moves, when he start and finish, his recovery is bad and let us open for a gimp. is true than the second jump conbined with the spin attack can cover a pretty good distance, but al characters can do it as well, and better than link.

using bombs, the boomerang, our good DI, the Zair and the long reach of the sword, we can survive pretty well. but link needs to be fixed if we want play with equals posibilities to win

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
It's possible they might change his Final Smash even though Toon Link might not return. Something Skyward Swordy... involving Fi maybe.

OMFG FI IN HD.

Okay... Well.. If anything we might just get aesthetic Skyward Sword detail with past Zelda attributes.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I would hope his side B will be a skyward sword attack, but it charges almost instantly like when he gets all three flames on hero mode.
:troll:

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Hey IYM,

yes but every character has disadvantages. Without disadvantages, no character can use the weakpoint. This is a point, why SSBB is exciting. ^^
Besides, a big Team have developed this game. And a game developer has experience... Nobody can say ALL developer made a mistake. Without advantages and disadvantages we haven't bigger feelings with control characters.

And we know: All advantages have also disadvantages. ^^

For example Falcos recovery is lower than Fox but his recovery is stroger for damage.

Link for example can attack with his recovery. But his recovery takes some time. Lucarios recovery is faster but he can't damage enemys.

Link is an offensive character. Not a defensive character. For example:

He hase a very good range ( grappling hook, Boomerang, Arrows, Bombs and his sword. ) Pits range for example is shorter. ^^ But this is good because Link is an offensive character. ^^

Link is slower but he is stronger. Pit is faster but he is lower. ^^ And so it goes on.

Like I said... I don't think that ALL Link developers made a mistake. That is nonsense.

My brother fought in Brawl since 2008 many years. ^^

Every character ( without Meta-Knight ) lose sometimes. Its normal I think. ^^

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I think his side+B in Crusade (Skill Moves) is great.
Yes, it's pretty good. Here it is, if anyone wants to know how it works.

Side Special
Hidden
Skills/Boomerang
Begin with a Shield Attack that reflects projectiles if timed well, then follow up with Ending Blow, Helm Splitter, Great Spin, or Back Slice Using Special Button and a directional key. Some consider this move a very useful counter move.
Using this move in the air will cause Link to throw his trademark Boomerang instead. The Boomerang can be directed up or down using direction keys.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
More than I was expecting from crusade.
I like the sound of that move a lot.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Honestly, I want the Gale Boomerang effect to return.
Edited, of course.
It should have the range and mobility of Melee's Boomerang, as well as the damage. The Gale effect should carry opponents to you, guaranteed, but only if they get caught in the wind.
That means none of this pushing business. Its either normal boomerang PR getting carried into an up smash,

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whoever said Shield Bash is my new Hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom