• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Side-Special?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
EDIT: OK, so I decided to edit the OP finally, for the first time since I created it.

Initially I thought the Beetle would replace the Boomerang due to Link's appearance and the lack of a boomerang in Skyward Sword, but turns out I didn't get a good enough look at Link's appearance (he more closely resembles Twilight Princess Link, just lighter in color, initially I didn't notice this until a few other users corrected me). Also, the Beetle has just very recently been shown in a pic, the caption making me near-certain it is an item.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlIFChT8g

Still, we haven't seen the Boomerang yet, so we can still discuss the Boomerang. (or another move if you want it to be replaced) Will it be the Gale Boomerang again, and would you want it to be? Or will it return to it's normal form and would you prefer it returning? Do you want or expect to be altered significantly?

Personally I'm fine with the Gale Boomerang coming back, and at this point I expect it to remain as such.

Also, I might as well keep the old OP under spoilers for history's sake.

Simple question. What do you think is going to be done with Link's side-special? Skyward Sword didn't have a Boomerang item. The closest thing to a boomerang it has is the Beetle, but unlike the Boomerang it can be manually controlled, and moves slowly most of the time, until you get one of the upgraded versions of it that allows you to speed it up. How do you think they could get the Beetle to work for Link's side-special?

I'm thinking of one way it could work, like if it could be controlled in a similar manner to Pit's side-special, and that if you threw an explosive item at it, the Beetle would grab the item and target the closest character other than Link himself, but I'm still trying to figure out a good way for it to be used. Until then, I'd like to see what anyone else can come up with. Or if theres another item that could be used instead of the Beetle.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Smash 4 did not use the SS design. It kept the Brawl one and made it colourful. The Boomerang will return.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They apparently recycled Mario's Fludd and Brawl design. Same thing happened to Link in terms of design so he would probably still have the Gale Boomerang I guess...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I was going to write having the Beetle instead of the boomerang would be interesting, but then I realized how incredibly frustrating something like that would be.
Leaving yourself vulnerable like that was never fun in my books.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Smash 4 did not use the SS design. It kept the Brawl one and made it colourful. The Boomerang will return.
It looked like the SS design to me. Even it isn't the SS design, it's probably meant to be the Link from SS, Skyloft WAS shown as a stage after all. Are you sure the boomerang will return? Is there some footage of Link I haven't seen?

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw some comparison images on the Link thread.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If memory serves, no, there isn't any footage of Link using the Boomerang yet.

At the same time, Mario kept the FLUDD. So Link will most likely keep the Boomerang

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The special I'd want them to replace is the bow, and they clearly aren't doing that.

Wouldn't the beetle basically control like Snake's side Special? It sounds nifty, but not optimal all the same.

There is a significant chance that veterans will be mixed up quite a bit, though... Bowser's lookin' pretty refurbished.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The special I'd want them to replace is the bow, and they clearly aren't doing that.

Wouldn't the beetle basically control like Snake's side Special? It sounds nifty, but not optimal all the same.
I imagine it would be like that except exponentially more sluggish.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If memory serves, no, there isn't any footage of Link using the Boomerang yet.

At the same time, Mario kept the FLUDD. So Link will most likely keep the Boomerang
You never know, FLUDD could be a placeholder for a new special move, maybe even this design for Link could be a placeholder model too. Unless they plan to have Skyward and Twilight Link.

I don't want this to go off topic though, so I'll talk about his design and such in the primary Link thread later.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

There is a significant chance that veterans will be mixed up quite a bit, though... Bowser's lookin' pretty refurbished.
It wouldn't be very useful if it was like Snakes Side-special unless it carries a bomb by default.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The bomb Link is holding is definitely a Twilight Princess bomb (ugly looking thing). The model of Link looks like Link in Twilight Princess getup with a smooth art style reminiscent of Skyward (with more focus on primary colors than pastels).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It wouldn't be very useful if it was like Snakes Side-special unless it carries a bomb by default.

Oh, agreed, fo sho. I mean, unless it was essentially like Lucas's Thunder special... Regardless, it's not the attack that I'd want to see Link have. Though, unlike Snake's and Lucas's specials, the beetle would probably try to return to Link after being released... that could be some interesting zoning (again, still not the move I'd choose).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Link's new design is amazing. It's a mix of SS and TP, but I don't see them removing the Boomerang. I do see them going back to the old boomerang design though (but I don't know what to think anymore, so whetever.)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would make Link's boomerang the beetle yet act just as the boomerang. The only difference is the sound it makes and that it could retrieve items and bombs.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I would make Link's boomerang the beetle yet act just as the boomerang. The only difference is the sound it makes and that it could retrieve items and bombs.
I want this to happen.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Skyward strike could be his smash or forward tilt when he has 0 percent damage. A nod at his ability in his SNES game.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i still cannot read what you are saying because its dark blue on a dark grey background which like 90% of humanity struggles with

so if that was a reply to what i said

i can't read it

nor will i take the time to highlight it just to read it

you should seriously just change your font to be a more normal font color and not try to stand out by being "the guy who posts stuff that i can't read"

i realize we're off topic here but goodnesss

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yeah that would be the best option for it, you could send it out and it would return in the same manner as the boomerang which means you can move around while its on its path.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'd personally love to see his Side B become the Skyward Strike. It would lend him a much needed power projectile I think. Then again the beetle as you have mentioned, would probably work as well and have more variety to it then just a huge ol laser beam.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
i still cannot read what you are saying because its dark blue on a dark grey background which like 90% of humanity struggles with

so if that was a reply to what i said

i can't read it

nor will i take the time to highlight it just to read it

you should seriously just change your font to be a more normal font color and not try to stand out by being "the guy who posts stuff that i can't read"

i realize we're off topic here but goodnesss
This is such a Homestuck moment right here.

On topic, I think Link should keep the boomerang, but there should be a difference between a tilt and a smash, even if it just makes it go farther. Now that I think about it, a lot of side specials could probably benefit from that kind of thing.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I was going to write having the Beetle instead of the boomerang would be interesting, but then I realized how incredibly frustrating something like that would be.
Leaving yourself vulnerable like that was never fun in my books.
kinda sounds like snakes side special, except theres no canceling it.
well.... PK Thunder is a better way to put it XD.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
kinda sounds like snakes side special, except theres no canceling it.
well.... PK Thunder is a better way to put it XD.
Could always make it controllable in the way Pit controls his arrows. Just much slower.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Could always make it controllable in the way Pit controls his arrows. Just much slower.
they could do that.. BUT
I think links boomerang is an integral part of his moveset, because its the only thing in smash bros with the "boomerang" effect, if you will. a very nice unique and classic move for link IMO.
the opponent has to worry about the attack from the front as well as the returning attack from the back.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The gale boomerang gimmick was pretty useless in Brawl. If it returns, it should be buffed in some form.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
One thing that could be nice to add to the boomerang is that it should actually collect smaller items that are returned to Link's hand. Break open a capsule, bring back the item inside it.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
The Gale Boomerang was horrible. If he still has it, I hope it actually does damage when coming back.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
One thing that could be nice to add to the boomerang is that it should actually collect smaller items that are returned to Link's hand. Break open a capsule, bring back the item inside it.
Wouldn't help much in a non-item match.
I'd say just bring back the Gale Boomerang but let it do damage as it returns, even if its only a few small hits that don't carry much stun, as it forcefully pulls the opponent back to Link.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It certainly is true that picking up items wouldn't be super useful in a non-item match, but... well, you gotta keep in mind that most multiplayer matches that people worldwide play are item matches, not to mention that single player will be. It'd just be a nice little reference more than for balancing, really.

I mean, I suppose it could do what the boomerang actually does in the Legend of Zelda games...

Low damage, slight stun. It'd be like ZS Samus's paralyzer, except useful. Also, making it a stunner would differentiate it more from Link's sh***y, sh***y bow.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
You never know, FLUDD could be a placeholder for a new special move, maybe even this design for Link could be a placeholder model too. Unless they plan to have Skyward and Twilight Link.

I don't want this to go off topic though, so I'll talk about his design and such in the primary Link thread later.
Why would it be a placeholder? They're having to make all the models from scratch, and it's clearly new. They're hardly going to go to all that effort for a placeholder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom