• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
So? It's still Skyward Link. :joyful:
I actually think that's still Twilight Princess Link. His outfit doesn't really look like Skyward Sword Link. And I hope seeing ST Link driving the Spirit Train in the trailer doesn't reconfirm Toon Link...
Looking on the Dojo I actually don;t think you could call it the SS design at all. the only resemblance is the hair being a bit darker.
But otherwise he has his tights back and everything. Bit of a blend but with longer hair than in any Zelda game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Link is Twilight Princess Design

Look at Twilight princess link

The new smash link has the same left hand gauntlet that skyward sword link doesn't

Edit: Just noticed the straps are the same, they are just backwards on skyward sword link

Compare with this

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Considering almost all veterans have their look based on their Brawl appearance except DK and Samus, I see it as no surprise Link had an updated Brawl look. Then agian, they did try and match most of the colors in Skyward Sword's style. And even some details as this:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually the thing that most makes him Twilight princess Link is the gauntlet and the fact he's left handed

Since they are using brawl designs. I suspect Zelda as Twilight Princess Zelda

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Yeah thanks Psycho. I'm absolutely over the moon they went with the Twilight design then. Nailed it.
No more baggy pants and dumbfounded expression :grin:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm super glad they didn't bring in Link's Skyward Sword face... he looked a little too much like post-op Michael Jackson. Yeah, Linky looks good... and it probably means that Zelda and Gdorf will be in the same updated Brawlian style as well. I wonder if Link will take anything at all from SS?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I definitely like Link's new look. A perfect mix of Brawl's look and SS colours.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link is Twilight Princess Design

Look at Twilight princess link

The new smash link has the same left hand gauntlet that skyward sword link doesn't

Edit: Just noticed the straps are the same, they are just backwards on skyward sword link

Compare with this

^this nails it.

Like I said earlier, Smash Link is always blond and left handed. Essentially OoT Link with graphic and minor appearance upgrades from games like TP.

All HD games get brighter graphics:

He's definitely smash Link who's a TP/OoT cross.

At first this worried me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvudMu-5kIU&feature=player_detailpage#t=42s
because the cell shading but than I realized it's the 3DS version when the graphics were boosted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvudMu-5kIU&feature=player_detailpage#t=64s
:awesome:
The backgrounds keep the realistic feel (notice the leaves on BF).

Link seems to play very similar to Brawl. I hope they fine tune and make him GOOD in the next smash but I'm glad Link didn't get a new moveset. Link has good tools but terribly nerfed stats :(. He needs a chance to shine :cool:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I'm going homo for Link. He looks damn sexy in this game.

But seriously. I love this Link design. It's kinda a lighter rendition of Twilight Princess Link.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^To be fair Olimar has a terrible recovery in Brawl and he's a top 5 character.
It's too early to judge characters as SSB4 won't release until 2014 and is in development.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
^To be fair Olimar has a terrible recovery in Brawl and he's a top 5 character.
Win.

To reply to Rizen in the other thread. I'm really, REALLY hoping the Gale Boomerang isn't coming back. I liked it in TP, but hated it in Brawl. In fact, I adored Link's regular boomerang in Melee already, and Toon Link's boomerang. The regular boomerang was useful for a lot of comboing for the hitbox when it's coming back to you.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I wonder if the design is actually from the new Zelda Wii U.
Arrows seems to cause a lot more knockback even without being charged.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
With Bowser's overhaul, I have higher hopes about Veteran moves being changed significantly. And by that, I really freaking hope that Link's arrows can be aimed or have some point to using them.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Besides arrow locks :awesome:

But yeah, the game seems to be running off on Brawl's engine still right now (characters completely the same with updated graphics), aside from some reveals like Pit's moves. I'm assuming that this is mostly a fan showing to get people excited and they'll revamp it later when they have time to fully develop the engine and characters.

Rizen

Smash Legend
to the new one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vQD1yJinzeQ#t=359s
it goes maybe 1.5 times the height, which is still low but it's better. It starts under the 3rd platform and could have landed on the 4th and highest with height to spare. It also has better reach around Link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vQD1yJinzeQ#t=421s
Link already seems to have better reach in proportion to his size and looks a bit quicker. Arrow go farther faster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vQD1yJinzeQ#t=434s

Keep in mind the game's under development, built on basically Brawl's engine and hasn't been been refined or balanced yet. It's supposed to play like Brawl at this point. The vague release date is 2014 which usually means holiday 2014.[/quote]
Win.

To reply to Rizen in the other thread. I'm really, REALLY hoping the Gale Boomerang isn't coming back. I liked it in TP, but hated it in Brawl. In fact, I adored Link's regular boomerang in Melee already, and Toon Link's boomerang. The regular boomerang was useful for a lot of comboing for the hitbox when it's coming back to you.
My wind opinions aren't popular :( I think few people work with and space the wind properly. I love doing stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lnm2SvQuwa0#t=92s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnm2SvQuwa0&feature=player_detailpage#t=189s
It's a great spacing tool too. Good for crossovers. Wind's great vs Snake's nades and mines...
Gale boomerang as a much better Fludd is one way to think of it :/
Sigh.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Kinda bummed link kept the same design, even the visual upgrade would have felt new. But i guess being a link main ill have to make due, he still looks superb though regardless.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Since they are using brawl designs. I suspect Zelda as Twilight Princess Zelda
Man I hope so. I'm far more eager to find out that one than about Link, since Link's differences are mostly academic. He is looking good in SSB4, though! Hopefully they actually give him a recovery this time.

Like most others, I'm so utterly glad Link kept his normal face, not... that thing from SS.
Indeed. I pray for the same for Zelda. Her nose did not work out.

This is incredibly true. Love the megaman reveal trailer when Link blocks the metal blade with his shield and looks outrageously pissed.
Here's hoping that we get some more moments like that in every reveal. Link failing at fitness was pretty great.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
He looks to be the oldest Link we've ever seen. That would make sense if the next Zelda game is a direct sequel to Twilight Princess. But of course it's much too soon to be speculating on that.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Pure speculation here but I say that Link in SSBU/3DS...

Based off Twilight Princess' design, but maybe the Link in Smash now is based off the next design for Link in the HD Zelda for Wii U.

On that note...?

The visual detail in this game is absolutely beautiful up close.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still fail to see how people think this is not Skyward Sword Link. Toon Link looked different in Brawl to from his Wind Waker self. This is absolutely the same thing. With a few details added from his Twilight Princess design. But hey, guess what, a few pockets don't make him Twilight Princess Link yet. :rolleyes:

As said before, this is much like the Melee Link's version of Ocarina of Time Link.

Can't wait to see his Side B being Skyward Strike. :smirk:

AKZuM

Smash Rookie
Is it strange that I want them bring back his old SSBM battle cry for the spin attack?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wait for that Fi taunt to replace the fairy people. Wait for it. :smirk:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Probably belongs in the Ganondorf boards, but... Is anybody looking forward to either Ghirahim or Demise?

The rang is probably coming back. Skyward Strike sounds a bit OP, unless it's chargeable. I'll put in fifty bucks that his new Final Smash will incorporate it, though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why should it be overpowered? It should work just like in Skyward Sword. Raise the sword skyward for a while, then the attack comes out. Hopefully it'll be the stronger version. He'll also likely have a sword beam in ALTTP2 (forgot official name) so it's still hugely relevant.

Noticed the TP styled bombs though. Then again, Link always had Bombs, and no Bomb Flowers as weapons. So there's that. I'm saying this is more of an universal Link, seeing how he got revealed in the first trailer by a never seen before Hyrule Castle (it definitely ISN'T TP's Hyrule Castle) but he still has mostly all of his SS features, mostly the colors.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Just IMO, a slash that can kill like 10 bokoblins with one strike would probably have more power than Snake's Utilt in a Smash game. It would probably be like Samus' neutralB if ever it were his SideB. Also, note that I said "chargeable".

I don't really think the Smash games have ever centered around one single Link. In fact, I've always looked at him as a completely different character. 64 Link = Melee Link = Brawl Link =/= the most recent canon Link. Perhaps he's SS Link retaining his TP look? That's how I look at it.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
Win.

i also prefer the regular boomerang if it return i hope it have the same properties even if it look like a Gale Boomerang.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Does Link really need three projectiles? I was never really a fan of the Boomerang (the Gale Boomerang even less). What if they incorporated some item from Skyward Sword, such as the Whip, the Mogma Mitts, or the Gust Bellows? Admittedly, Gust Bellows would probably be awful and work like Mario's F.L.U.D.D. Also, I like the idea of Skyward Strike being his Final Smash, considering, if I'm not mistaken, Triforce Slash isn't even in any of the Legend of Zelda games.

Edit: I supposed Gust Bellows would technically be considered a projectile weapon. Hahaha.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I still fail to see how people think this is not Skyward Sword Link. Toon Link looked different in Brawl to from his Wind Waker self. This is absolutely the same thing. With a few details added from his Twilight Princess design. But hey, guess what, a few pockets don't make him Twilight Princess Link yet. :rolleyes:

As said before, this is much like the Melee Link's version of Ocarina of Time Link.

Link can't do the Skyward Strike cause he's left-handed now. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom