• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Oh I didn't even realize the eye thing.

Either way, I think the gray parts are too lght for Dark link,, and I think his hair s too light as well, I just prefer a darker tone, to one with more personality

I'll end up using it sometimes but yeah I like how he looks more in Brawl and I was just hoping for an HD version of that design.

I'm really glad about the eye thing though! Those eyes are Definitely better.
Well I get that. The only thing I'm disappointed about is the shield. It seems it's not using the white and purple color scheme from brawl. I think Brawl's shield was a perfect example of a Dark Link. Instead of the colorful heroic tone, Brawl's Dark Link had a negative-like color scheme to it.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Lots of details from NintendoEverything:
http://nintendoeverything.com/lots-of-super-smash-bros-for-3d...

• This is from a demo event in Japan
  • Someone provided some impressions
  • Peach's butt bomb is a lot stronger
  • Link has a red costume with markings underneath his eyes
  • Toon Link has the four swords colors and the old style Link color
  • There is no Outset Island Toon Link
  • Pac-Man is slow
  • Zelda has a white costume
  • Chrom appears in Robin's victory pose
  • Nintendo was very strict about pictures and video at the event
  • Olimar has an Alph alt
  • Fox has a Wolf palette swap
  • Glasses Pikachu confirmed
  • Fierce Deity Link confirmed
  • These other colors and costumes are rumored at the moment
  • Fire Peach is a Peach alt
  • Black and purple Yoshis confirmed
  • Palutena has a Viridi color scheme
  • Dark Meta Knight and Galacta Knight are Meta Knight alts
  • Shiny Charizard is an Charziard alt
  • Pac-Man can wear accessories
http://nintendoeverything.com/lots-of-super-smash-bros-for-3d...

I'll be posting this information on threads that contain the characters mentioned and on the social thread. You can read in better detail by clicking on the link.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
GimR, testing the Best Buy demo, could autocancel Zair. Remember how airdodging into the ground has lots of lag? Yeah. Cancel the airdodge with a Zair.... and you'll be fine. >:oo
That's probably old news to you... it's been known for a while, although I don't know if that has changed, or will change in the final build.

Something I just learned yesterday... at least in the demo... apparently, you can still hold on to an item that you're holding if you do a zair-cancelled airdodge. Now, that was SUPER essential to Brawl Toon Link's camping game, but I dunno about you Links.

Probably horizontal spacing or something.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^yeah anything with bombs (Fsmash, Zair, bombslides, etc) was very important to Link in Brawl and so was landing canceling the lag of aerials, Zair and arrows. It's nice to know those will probably be back.

Devil G.

Smash Apprentice
I think I may start using Link a lot more. He just feels so much better to me from what I've played as him in the demo.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Yes... his double jump is insane...
ZeRo playing Link... Link jumped high enough so that he could do what what Toon Link sometimes does in Brawl (Although it's not recommended):
throw a bomb down -> predict opponent DI -> uair
So yeah, Link was able to space that pretty safely.

Oh yeah, Sm4sh Link's bombs do just about as much as Brawl Toon Link's does. Sooo that's kind of a concern.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Dream come true if so, but I'll main him regardless because that new jump attack is just so beastly.XD
I am thinking since he's basically been buffed to Chuck Norris and back, all with his attacks, attack speed, speed, air speed, grab, aerial grab, recovery, etc. He'll be a high to top tier.

Also, since his bombs blow up faster, Link's recovery has indeed been helped tenfold, and the bombs also have better spam-ability, meaning since they blow up so fast, you can simply throw one at your opponent, see it explode, pull out another, etc.

Link's experienced very, very, VERY minor nerfs. And one nerf in particular isn't even going to be in competitive play, and that's his Final Smash nerf. The bomb ''gravity nerf'', eh...that's not a nerf really, since I see no difference in throwing the bombs in this game compared to the others.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Let's just be honest:
Link for High Tier.
BUFF CITY NEXT STOP LINK!
Idk if this is common knowledge, but these are Link's changes from Brawl.

• Forward tilt is now faster.
  • Clawshot's Tether is dramatically buffed as with other tethers.
  • His grab aerial comes out much faster.
  • Gale Boomerang has its tornado come out upon returning, and has better damage and knockback.
  • Link's Dash attack is now the Jump Attack from Ocarina of Time. It is capable of hitting both horizontally and vertically depending on placement of the hitbox, and appears to have been strengthened.
  • Up aerial has changed from its Zelda II: The Adventures of Link animation to a very wide scissor kick. It appears to have quicker start up and also a smaller hitbox, as the size looks very different than before.
  • Down aerial has a meteor smash if the tip of his sword hits with the initial hitbox, similar to Toon Link's in Brawl. Link's down aerial also experiences significantly less lag after impacting the ground.
  • The Spin Attack has been given its power from Melee, along with its charge ability from Brawl. The Spin Attack also seems to have been buffed, as seen in the E3 Invitational, where it acted similarly to Melee's.
  • Link's Master Sword seems to be much larger, improving its already great reach.
  • Link appears to have greater speed in both the air and on the ground, alongside overall less lag in his attacks.
  • Link's grab has been changed to be both much faster, grab at a longer reach and also regains its Super Smash Bros. trajectory, in which it shoots straight, and doesn't fall to the ground.
  • Hero's Bow charges faster.
    • However, it deals less damage.
  • Link's bombs deal slightly more damage.
    • However, they suffer from more gravity, somewhat weakening his approach.
  • Triforce Slash's power has been lowered from 83% to 69%.
  • Link has a new edge attack based on the Crouch Stab from Ocarina of Time.
  • Link's roll animations are now based on Link's abilities from Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
The jump attack and backflip aren't exclusive to Ocarina of Time. Those abilities are in every 3D Zelda game.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link always had good tools to work with. Now he's finally getting the stats to not be low tier :)
Too bad we don't have the frame data.
I never used bombs for approaches. I don't see the gravity curve increase as a nerf.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I'm no Link main personally. Heck I can't even think of a game where I've really invested all that much time into him but I must say he feels really great in Smash 4 so far. He's a really well rounded character with a wide variety of options for various situations. He's always been rather underwhelming but an essential part of the Smash Bros series so it's good to finally see receive some very solid improvements. His Bombs in particular feel really amazing this game and I can't wait to see what creative tech Link mains come up with.

There is one thing that urks me though...

Grapple plz D:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Guys... apparently zair doesn't cancel out airdodge lag anymore ;-;

you can still cancel airdodge, but not the lag...
Can anyone check and see? At least ONE of you guys probably have the demo... or the game...

EDIT:
wow, what?
http://youtu.be/3IxkIIG_Q0E?t=2m56s
So airdodge into the ground has SOME lag, but not... RIDICULOUS lag, like Brawl Link's Dair or something.

From the video, it feels like... maybe a LITTLE more than Brawl Toon fair... so, about ~20 frames for airdodging into the ground or something.
That is almost DEFINITELY enough for us to get away with airdodging into the ground if we give them a LITTLE hitstun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom