• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link zair idea( Air grab)

iThe_King

Smash Rookie
So my idea was that if link hit wih a sweetspoted zair that you could press a and do an air grab.When you airgrab Link would pull his teather towards him then putting it away letting you cancel it for a free hit.At low percent make the hitstun only enough to land a bair or nair but at higher percent make the hitstun enough to land any of his aireals!Now if someone tries to do a air grab twice,the secind time will be a zair that doesn't grab but actally snaps awy.

Also,since you have to set he airgrab by yourself that mean you can still bomb put and all that.Speaking of bombs if you do air grab a bomb link will just snap the bomb in his hand. That wont only apply to bombs but also all items. That wold give you some crazy abilities. i.e airgrab a item then aireal glide toss it. JUST THINK OF THE POSSIBLITIES!!!!!!!!

Edit: (tell me what you think)

Last edited:

J3f

Smash Cadet
No I like zair as it is. It's very long range, so making it snap up opponents into a free nair or aerial is like giving all of Link's aerials the same range as zair. Link has a potent aerial game even without zair, I mean nair beats things like PK Thunder 2. His aerials don't need further buffs. Aerial Glide tossing then catching an item with zair wouldn't work anyway unless the clawshot was buffed to come out instantly(Hax).

Zair really is one of Link's more technical moves anyway, right up there with bombs, it doesn't need to be buffed. It's the only attack Link can use while holding a bomb, it can be used to cancel aerial dodges, it can hit items, and it can grab onto ledges.

iThe_King

Smash Rookie
Well the whole item grab thing was just me being crazy. Also th air grab was only a optin so all the zair techs would still be possble. Also i was thinking that the air grab had to be "pure". Meaning that if you tried to air dodge into air grab it wouldn't work.Also the only aireals with guaranteed hits are probably nair or fair. Also you need to have good timing whn pressing a to do the air grab. You'd have to press it the moment that if the clawshot closed it would be one barely on the opponents hurtbox.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
It's just way too much. The idea is funny. I had an idea once that his zair would grab and pull Link toward the grabee and when the move was over the two would have swapped positions. Hilarious, but completely ridiculous.

iThe_King

Smash Rookie
well i tried using it on my pm mod and it works pretty well i just wish you guys would try to look at it more as a new utility rather than some bad idea:(
it is pretty good

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
"Hey guys let's buff Link!"

Over my dead ****in body

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
There's just no reason for him to have this. It's overly complex for his kit. With this, he'd have access to an aerial grab which is ridiculous because he already has 90% of his attacks disjointed, hella good range, 3 projectiles, great grab/throw game, great kill power, great combos, great recovery... see where we're going with this? It's just beyond unnecessary, it'd be damaging to the rest of the game for a character to have all of this. This would not only give him an air grab but it's RANGED. AND it'd probably turn into a suicide option. It's just like... wow yeah, no Link does not need this at all. He's already top 10, maybe top 5.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Boomerang is proof Satan exists

AND

influences development of characters

Other proof: Charizard Nair

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Honestly I think Link is a very well rounded character. He's good the right amount of buffs, has his fair share of weaknesses, and his play style feels perfect. I wouldn't tweak him at all. He feels very fluid.

The Zair is good for edge recovering to regain your footing as well as using it in the air for popping up your opponent to lead into another combo. It's an interesting idea I'll give that to you, but Link is perfect the way he is.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
You can't rationally ride the Mario train without stopping at Link Station. They're very similar in their above-averageness.
You're not wrong...

I kind of feel that complaining about Mario or Link is akin to complaining about Peach, CF, or even Jiggly in Melee, though... They're high-tier chars that have some fairly stupid attacks (although I still don't think boomerang is just the end-all) and absolutely brutalize some matchups, but ultimately lose to other high-tiers in this game (and probably a few underused chars).

While I don't agree with buffing them... I certainly would be against nerfing them significantly, while they aren't exactly wrecking the tournament scene.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I was thinking about this idea some more today and it just became more insane to me how over powered this option would be. Link can get some serious shield pressure going on right near the range of his tippered z-air. Being able to force opponents to shield a returning boomerang then getting a free grab would be insane. The move when done out of air dodge also gives him some DJC like properties, allowing Link to z-air when just barely leaving the ground. Making this an unblockable is just toooooo good! xD

Top Bottom