• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link: Special Moves

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
@Wyvern: Boomerag, Fsmash, Boomerang, Fsmash, repeat
For the Gale Boomerang to be the difference between hitting and missing a smash attack, the opponent would probably have to be pretty close to begin with (it's not like it's going to drag someone across an entire stage). Between the large amount of time it takes to throw the boomerang and the stun you get from the frames spent catching it, I doubt you'd have time for a fsmash before your opponent recovers and smacks you with their own attack. Of course, they might have sped up the throwing process, so it's tough to say for sure.

As long as someone can easily punish Link's attacks if they know what they're doing, I'm fine with Link's upgrade. :) Oh, and what's taking so long to get the English update?
I wouldn't worry about that. I don't see anything in today's update that will keep him from being one of the game's most punishable characters. It's just little touches that might help him start up his own combos easier, to make sure his offense is good enough to justify his horribly open defense. I mean, it was pretty close before, but with all the fastest characters also being the most powerful, he could never quite manage to hit them enough to keep the lag from dooming him.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
Gale Boomerang - I would have been happy with the bommerang from Melee, but as long as the drag affect isn't too overpowering I'm happy with the improvement.

Hero's Bow - It's hard to tell based on the description if it's changed at all or not. They said it's fast so it's sounds like it might take less time to charge. Hopefully they made it so it takes less time to charge but does less damage. In my mind that would be an improvement.

Bomb - Not much to say about this. Nice visual update, but other than that it's still the same. I'm glad they didn't change it any more than that.

Spin Attack - I'm not so sure about this charging thing. Might be good, might be annoying. I'd have to see it in action to get an idea of what to expect. The only way I can see it being useful for attacks is for extremely casual players. As for recovery, it could make it better or worse. As long as I don't accidently charge it when I don't want to.

Clawshot - I really like the visual update. It looks much nicer than the one in melee. On the one hand, I like that it can seek out the edge, cause it'll be easier to get back on, but on the other hand, it felt like it took more skill to use in melee, which made it all the more cooler to pull off.

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
No you can't.

It seems It's SAKURAI final smash, not the series!

Okay. I still haven't seen any statement from Sakurai regarding that, nor a statement in which he implied such a thing, so showing me this statement would be greatly appreciated. And to me, you sounded kinda rude when you replied, and I don't like that. At all. Please tell me you weren't. >:O

drewdizzal

Smash Apprentice
its a good thing i started playing link again. his new improved moves look pretty **** good. looks like his moves did receive the TP treatment. wonder who else will....

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I'm excited too. I had already planned to take up Link again with the new game (I figured the characters would be rebalanced, and I just like Link the best anyway). I've been starting to use him in Melee a bit, and I'm excited to try him out in Brawl.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Although it is pretty much the same Link third time in a row, the moves do look more effective and useful now.

The Charge up for his up and B attack would explain why it looked so powerful in the video. The torando/hurricane boomerang looks decent, I can see a Grapple hook combo with that.

Overall I think Link actually atleast be a B Tier this time round.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Okay. I still haven't seen any statement from Sakurai regarding that, nor a statement in which he implied such a thing, so showing me this statement would be greatly appreciated. And to me, you sounded kinda rude when you replied, and I don't like that. At all. Please tell me you weren't. >:O
Aww srry, maybe I sounded rude? that's faaaaaar away from my intentions.

Edit:
Here you can find that quote of Sakurai

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Gale Boomerang: Looks amazing and could lag the other player because of the pull-back. Hopefully the pull-back isn't stupidly strong so that the boomerang becomes like a grapple. Also, if the amount of pull-back increases with the amount of percent the opponent has, imo it's a bad idea. But this boomerang could make for some AMAZING edge game.

Hero's Bow: Not to much change here, but perhaps it's faster. I'd hope so. Link is a slow character IMO and could use a bit more speed to him.

Bomb: Maybe wiht the new design, the effect that the explosion has on characters has changed. I'm hoping that it has a bit more knockback, but the same lag and flinch time.

Spin Attack: I'm hoping that in the air, it gets as much hight as it did in Melee, but when you charge it it sucks the opponent in like Young Link's upB. This will get rid of the Fatal-at-0% edge guard Link has.

Clawshot: I prefer this one over the hookshot because the Clawshot sounds cooler, and looks cooler. I also love how it automatically aims for the ledge. It would be better if you could aim it up or down aswell.

All in all, Link looks to me as if he has gotten alot better. Hopefully his moves will be quicker giving him that extra speed he could use. I don't main Link, but I always like to play as EVERY character once in a while, and right now he's looking pretty imroved.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Gale Boomerang: Looks amazing and could lag the other player because of the pull-back. Hopefully the pull-back isn't stupidly strong so that the boomerang becomes like a grapple. Also, if the amount of pull-back increases with the amount of percent the opponent has, imo it's a bad idea. But this boomerang could make for some AMAZING edge game.

Dojo said:
The Gale Boomerang deals damage when thrown at an enemy, but when it comes back, it also lightly pulls the foe’s body.

In touch with the wii

Smash Cadet
link has been my favourite for ages its good to see that he has got an update the gale boomerang could let to a ko if some one was runing away >B ^B would be so quite easy

skullkidd

Smash Ace
I l ike how they put up ALL his special moves.

But I don't know how I feel about chargeable spiin attack...

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Uhh, hard to aim in the last one? try pathetically easy. Autoledge is nice, but I see even the noobiest of link players using the grapple.. it goes.. in a straight line.. then you press a. WTF hard?!?! xP

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Uhh, hard to aim in the last one? try pathetically easy. Autoledge is nice, but I see even the noobiest of link players using the grapple.. it goes.. in a straight line.. then you press a. WTF hard?!?! xP
Ever play on Battlefield?

Besides, it's more than just aiming assistance. Let's say that, for example, you get hit so hard that by the time you've gotten within a Clawshot's length to the edge, you've already fallen so far that the lowest point on the wall is just a little bit above you. Before, there was nothing you could do but fall to your doom, but now it'll be possible to aim upwards and recover from lower than last time around.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
It'd be nice if you could aim it manually, but I guess it aiming itself to the nearest ledge without requiring it to be horizontal is a definite upgrade to Link's recovery. The Gale Boomerang looks awesome. Definitely the kind of weapon you want moving about the battlefield whenever possible, and now that it temporarily snares and pulls opponents, I can see it setting up some very nice combos. The bow was accompanied with "It's fast;" does that mean faster to draw back? I think it might, since, in the first video we ever saw of SSBB, Link's bow was significantly faster to pull. The spin attack being chargeable doesn't really matter to me - That is, unless its recovery improves a lot by charging it up, or my opponent does something entirely stupid that shouts "Hey, take your time to pwn me." Finally, the bombs, by any indication, haven't changed a bit. I don't recall there being anything special about the normal bombs of Twilight Princess, even though he eludes to them possibly being made by Barnes.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I have to agree with Wvvern; sure the autoledge helps n00bs, but it also helps in general. FD caves in below the ledge, so you might've been able to recover with the hookshot should you be even with the ledge, but if you're lower than it, you might not. this is a boost in recover for everyone.

I do share your concern for up-b recovery Paranoid. I wonder if the charge is only for ground up-b? Or maybe aerial up-b is automatically fully charged? Well, Sakurai made his boomerang better, probably the bow too, so I wouldn't be concerned about his up-b and recovering with it. And what about the strength of the up-b? I don't want a spin attack that does jacksh*t if it's not charged up. i want a spin attack that i can finish combo's with as a kill move.

And the bombs being made by barnes is just reference to twilight princess. there's no significance.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Sakurai doesn't even know half the special moves, he's somewhere in Alaska drinking martinis.

H@wK

Smash Ace
San Juan P.R. PKMN D/P FC - 4940 2077 9502
I think the spin attack will be as good as in Melee. You can see in the trailer they comfirmed Fox, Link using his Spin Attack in Yoshi Story, wasn't it? And it seems it will be as useful (powerful) as Melee. It may help with an aerial boost tho.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I think the spin attack charge just increases range and power (only slightly). The un-charged spin isn't any weaker than melee and it's only a smash attack lengthed charge.

I'm glad the bow is "fast" the slow bow was my only complaint with Link. I'm hoping for bombarrows too, not expecting it but hoping still!

I love the hookshot but the "slack" auto aiming "shortened" clawshot is fine too.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
H@wk, it's clear that Sakurai hadn't really touched upon Link's character in the trailer video's yet. He obviously put him in there, updated his skin, and let him alone for a while. he went back and changed him later. here's how I know:

-Link's f-smash was the same as melee's in the E3 trailer. It's different now if you look in the "Smash Attacks" How To Play update on the Dojo.
-Link's Spin Attack was the same as melee's in the E3 trailer. It now has the colorful swooshes and blurs in todays (yesterdays) update on Links Special Moves. It's now the actual TP design, and is chargable, it wasn't either of those in the trailer.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
The Gale Boomerang deals damage when thrown at an enemy, but when it comes back, it also lightly pulls the foe’s body.

How lightly is "lightly?" Will it be worth it? Or can I use it to spin people around in mid combo, thereby effectively f**king up their strategy to recover?

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Link is definately buffed. I hope to see more Link players.
Why? Outside of top-level tourneys, everyone and their grandmother mains Link. lol

Wyvern said:
Besides, it's more than just aiming assistance. Let's say that, for example, you get hit so hard that by the time you've gotten within a Clawshot's length to the edge, you've already fallen so far that the lowest point on the wall is just a little bit above you. Before, there was nothing you could do but fall to your doom, but now it'll be possible to aim upwards and recover from lower than last time around.
That's a good point. Does Link really need a boost to recovery though? Perhaps this ties in to the change of the Spin Attack...maybe the uncharged spin is weaker at recovering, and the homing clawshot is to compensate?

On the other hand, boosting the recoveries of some of the heavier and slower characters might be a good way to balance them, I suppose.

RAQU

Smash Apprentice
to all you up b chargin' haters

who says the up b has to be weaker just cuz u can charge it!? maybe it still has the same power..... AND can get stronger. =o had that thought ever crossed your minds? its not like link's up b was broken and needed a downgrade(even though i kno it was still in the very good catagory). and the fact that link was low tier may give reason to only straight up improve links up b.

duno bout u ppl but i like it. links up b will be better in every way(no downgrades), but thats just an opinion.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
who says the up b has to be weaker just cuz u can charge it!? maybe it still has the same power..... AND can get stronger. =o had that thought ever crossed your minds? its not like link's up b was broken and needed a downgrade(even though i kno it was still in the very good catagory). and the fact that link was low tier may give reason to only straight up improve links up b.

duno bout u ppl but i like it. links up b will be better in every way(no downgrades), but thats just an opinion.
i hear ya man, i think links gonna be awesome hes one of my mains in melee and it looks like hes definitley gotten an upgrade, so i cant wait to see how this up b charging thing will work but i think it will give a varitey to the attack allowing u to choose how much u want it charged up and so on it has possibilities

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Why? Outside of top-level tourneys, everyone and their grandmother mains Link. lol
Maybe alot of casual players play with Link, but tourney goers in general don't even use Link. I am glad Link got some buffing. Even if Link kicked *** in SSBM (for being an awesome character, not for his matchups u_u), buffing is great. I personally do not want more Link players, because then my Link would look like crap compared to the people who picked them up. >_> <_< I definitely want to stay a little bit unique. XD

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I know one thing for sure: some of the new players that don't think strategically are going to spam Up-B and going to love charging it. If I meet them online, I'll make sure to severly punish them for it.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
wow lol charge up+b edgeguard ftw?

New link players always spam up+b, it's instinct :p

On a side note: Link's new moves look great and modeled exactly like they were in twilight princess, from the bomb skin to the clawshot grip. Thumbs up :)

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
The thing that I find odd is that Sakurai said that he is going for the TP style, but in TP, you couldn't charge the spin attack. The only way it was stronger was
if you had full health, using the great spin.

Unless you could charge it in the GCN version?? :confused:

Wasn't that final spin attack charged?

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
On a side note: Link's new moves look great and modeled exactly like they were in twilight princess, from the bomb skin to the clawshot grip. Thumbs up :)
as a side note, do you think the bombs will be like TP bombs and have different skins and weights and effects like in the game? that would be cool...it might make me use link as a secondary instead of peach.

Beno

Smash Rookie
Sorry for ressurecting this thread. About the heros bow, you can see an example of the "its fast" comment in nintendo world trailer. If you look at the part where they introduce snake you will see an example. First off you will see snake on the helipad stage, then you will see him doing his three hit combo thing, then you will see him go and sneak up at link. Only concentrate on link at that moment and you will see that it is faster.
Sorry if it was mentioned already.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
That shot didn't look fully charged to me, and we still don't know what the ending lag will be like since it was interrupted by damage. I guess maybe it seems like he pulls the string back a little faster, but it really doesn't show much.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Great find! Yeah, it definitely seems faster - I think that you no longer charge the Bow. It automatically flies straight horizontally, the only lag is in the initial tauting of the bow string.

Top Bottom