• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Recovery Edge Guard

Bing

Smash Master
So Im a Marth main and Im aving trouble edgeguarding Link
I cant seem to block the hook shot recovery which is commonly used.
When I drop down too early, I get spiked by the hookshot, If I drop down too late, I get caught in the up-B. And I cant get the dair when he comes up from the shot.

Any tips?

Beat!

Smash Master
You d-tilt him on his way up, not immediately after he hookshots. By doing so you force him to use Up-B, and you usually have enough time to grab the ledge and edgehog him.

Van.

Smash Ace
You hop out and bair him before he's in range. There is nothing he can do.

Also Bing, I thought you played jiggly?

RAVENx08

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-1489-8514
i like to grab the edge then drop a bit as he is raising and catch him with a fair or if im on poke stadium at a certain angle when the field turn to the play ground and Dtilt

Bing

Smash Master
You hop out and bair him before he's in range. There is nothing he can do.

Also Bing, I thought you played jiggly?
How in gods name to you remember that I used to play Jiggz? I used to but I said screw it, I still play around as jiggs here or there, but mostly, Marth Falco and Mario.

Van.

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure you played him right up to the end of 2010, I just remember a thread about habits you made in general discussion a while back. An example you gave was going for pound-rest too often.

That is weird that I remember that tho, lol

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
time a bair so the the second the hookshot hits the stage, you bair him in the face. if he ever tries to sweetspot with upb, counter right at the edge, then grab the edge and bair or dair

RAVENx08

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-1489-8514
Link shouldn't be a problem either way. he's free. marth's the better swordsman.
no doubt marth is the better swordsman :cool:
but in all honesty i think link is one hell of an opponent is he can gimp like a pro ur in for one hell of a match and trust me those smashers who play competitively and r die hard link fans can gimp u all day

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
If they don't sweetspot with hookshot you can get off a Dtilt (Maybe) I usually just grab the ledge and Bair if they airdodge>hookshot.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
time a bair so the the second the hookshot hits the stage, you bair him in the face. if he ever tries to sweetspot with upb, counter right at the edge, then grab the edge and bair or dair
this

counter works wonders against the Link's u b's, and you can just go out there and wack him with a bair while he's attempting to hookshot. if the hookshot hits you then he can make it, which means you screwed up your timing.

Last Link I played would try and nair me when I would go for an edge guard, but if you send him the right way in the hit, well if he tied you both die, not worth it for him usually...

edge guarding link is a lot easier than fighting him onstage and getting through his crap lol :urg:

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Also, if you're on the edge and they've hooked it, use get-up attack.
Works wonders because they don't sweetspot when they hit A to grab.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Dtilt GG
Dair GG
counter GG
Edgehog GG

If link hook shots its easy to see when he will do it, if he is away from the stage he will go for the hook shot, if he airdodges, hookshot, and it will probably pop him up just enough for you to dtilt him from the stage. then he cant use it again so just edge hog, and if he up b's early then just dtilt him again. Link will use all sorts of mind games to recover but in the end the solution is usually just to poke him to death.

Top Bottom