• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Online: The Wi-Fi Thread *Looking For New Owner*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Some nice calculations there Ano. Zeus you should edit that into the OP.

So yeah that tourney thing's coming up soon.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'd assume that's an important issue to address, Quirky.

Australia is 14 hours ahead of New York and 18 hours ahead of California (although, going backwards, Cali will get a better connection since they only have a time difference of 6 hours rather than 10 hours).

So...

First things first: Designate a Tourney Organizer (TO).

If the plan was to do Round Robin style playing (where everyone plays everybody):
-Everyone needs to post the times they will be available to play, or PM or VM that to the TO.

The TO needs to:
-Find the difference in times and make a table of when everyone's times to play match up.
-Set up matches between people, determining the best way to match everyone up so that everyone gets the best chance of being able to play everyone else.
-PM, VM or simply post the tourney matchups here. Be aware of the difference in time zones, and if PM or VMing the matches be sure to write the times of matches according to the time zone of the person you are writing to. It might be a hassle for the TO to figure everyone's time zones out, but it will be a bigger hassle when people try to figure out the time zones for themselves and mess up the times they are able to play each other. At least if the TO makes a mistake and someone figures it out beforehand, the TO can post a notice to everyone to adjust their TO-synchronized playtimes ahead or behind a couple of hours rather than trying to help every individual person try to confirm that their calendar of times to play is correct.
-Set up any specific rules that you want the tourney matches to be set by, such as number of games played per person (such as best of 3). Keep them simple and short; people may only be able to get on WiFi for 15 minutes before getting back to something else.

When tourney day comes, everybody needs to:
-Keep Xat open whenever you are online.
-Be flexible. Everyone has a lot of stuff to deal with IRL, so getting impatient when people need to change times is Be aware that schedules are tentative for everyone and subject to change; this isn't a massive, rule-bound tourney: You are here to have fun playing each other and should carry the pleasant, relaxed attitude into setting up matches and not just being friendly while playing the matches. Each person will have one thing or another come up; being nice to others often means they'll be nice to you when you have something come up.
-Adhere to the charts as best as you can. When you and another person you haven't played yet are on, but your match with another player is in fifteen minutes, don't join in with the player who is currently on.
-Off that note, adhere to the chart, but if you can't, try and make a post here that times have changed. Be courteous to the people who are waiting for you--try not to come in at the last minute or 2 hours later and say, "Sorry I couldn't make it." Be early with letting people know rather than late. The people waiting on you are real people, sitting boredly at their computers, waiting for you to be polite enough to let them know something is up. If you can't make it, make it easier on them and let them know that they can be getting something IRL done in the meantime, too.

The TO needs to:
-Be ready to add all point totals up. As each individual will have known this was just for fun, showing how each person fared against the others is probably the funnest part of the tourney. Each person will be terrifically excited and want to talk to each other about all their matches and speculate about how other people's matches went, how they played, and any other particulars. Hashing out the details between other people's fights is a lot of fun for the new players, and discussing particulars of their fights with the new players and showing them how things went is a lot of fun for the veterans, too. Post those results and let people talk about this tourney and how fun it was for a long time. This also has the added bonus of helping people discover where their chinks and flaws are. A player might notice a surprising loss from another player and be intrigued enough to ask. Together, they take note of something that the original player hadn't realized was a flaw before and they both progress while also building bonds.

Remember, this tourney is about:
-Building bonds. You're getting to know your fellow board members and therefore becoming more enabled to post meaningfully on the discussions on the forums. People will be able to see flaws and strengths in your arguments after playing you and having learned a little better where you are coming from to be able to contribute to the boards.
-Having fun. No one's determining the best Link; heck, this is WiFail. Discrepancies and random losses that should not have happened under any normal circumstance are the norm for WiFi and should be laughed about. Not a single competitor cares about how it was your fingers that slipped and caused you to SD and how if you hadn't then you would have had the most terrific KO opportunity ever. Everybody around you, no matter how skilled, made a lot of slip-ups too. The only difference is they know to laugh about it because it is so common that it is inconsequential. Lighten up and laugh, because that's the main purpose of the tourney.
-Becoming better players: Some of us are limited to WiFi; some of us are hoping to become top dogs in our regions; some of us are here just to get a taste of what competitive Smash is like and maybe make some friends in the process. Serious critiquing can be saved for another circumstance, but a little bit of "You should try to avoid rolling into my smashes" or "just mash up and you'll get out of my jab combo" never goes amiss. We all like having fun and improving at the same time. Compliment on what your competitors are doing right and give a little boost up on what you notice they're doing wrong.
-Showing respect: You're respecting other people here as you play. No matter how disorganized things may get, you're always dealing with other people who want to have fun as much as you do. Their respect will grow for you as you show your respect for them.

I bolded "everybody" and "Tourney Organizer" as well as color-coded them to help figure out who should be adhering to what. Green is for the TO and Magenta is for everyone involved in the activity.
I really hope this helps you guys get a leg-up to making the tourney a successful one. I'll be missing you all.
Of course, feel free to change this, add to it, or tell me where I'm wrong as you like: It's only a suggestion. Good luck!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Wow amazing. Can you be the TO Ano? I'll chuck your post into the OP.

Also, I fear my net will be slowed down soon to dialup speed since I only have 5 gigs left. Which will make WiFi-ing me even more fail then what it is now. D:

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
It was just my suggestion. From right now I've only got like 12 hours total with you guys left, so there's no way I could TO in time without leaving a mess. Just pick someone and get to it.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
It was just my suggestion. From right now I've only got like 12 hours total with you guys left, so there's no way I could TO in time without leaving a mess. Just pick someone and get to it.
Where's you going?

For the TO: On Friday, I'm going to be home from 12:00 AM to 5:00 PM East Coast time.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Sorry I haven't been around much. With my parents in South Africa, I find my responsibilites growing. I'll be missing power rakings and can't be the TO. I hope it all still works out.

I'm sorry.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, oh man, 4 people? This is gonna be a huge tourney! We might even get international attention!

I'll be on later I think (I'm working early). I would imagine I'll be able to be on from 3:00 pm EST to 8 or 9, and maybe later if necessary.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Is the XAT working for anyone? Also might as well cancel the tourney, no TO, not that many players, and I've got slow slow internet :(.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Sorry to disappoint you guys with that whole tourney thing.

I'll make it up with a new idea I have in mind, and I'll take more charge of this one since the last one I was hoping Zeus would be in charge of it since it was his idea.

So I was thinking we could challenge some of the other boards in a WiFi war. It would be a great way to get to know some of the other character boards and try our hand at different matchups.

I'm not exactly sure how it's all going to work so I need some ideas from you guys.

We could do like a 4v4 crew battle?

To enter in this we'll have signups, if we reach over 4 people that want to sign up. We can either negotiate or have like a duel off for the spot. The winners will get to play in the WiFi War, while the losers become replacements for anyone who can't make the WiFi War.

Scabe

Successful Businessman

I'll make it up with a new idea I have in mind, and I'll take more charge of this one since the last one I was hoping Zeus would be in charge of it since it was his idea.

So I was thinking we could challenge some of the other boards in a WiFi war. It would be a great way to get to know some of the other character boards and try our hand at different matchups.

I'm not exactly sure how it's all going to work so I need some ideas from you guys.

To enter in this we'll have signups, if we reach over 4 people that want to sign up. We can either negotiate or have like a duel off for the spot. The winners will get to play in the WiFi War, while the losers become replacements for anyone who can't make the WiFi War.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Crew battles are by far my favorite. Uhh also, crew battles within the Link boards or other places?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Would it be required to be only Link or can we use other mains or secondaries. Because that would be kind of crazy. I can imagine the **** Kirby or someone else could give to all Link's and it could just be totally 1 sided.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
The winners will get to play in the WiFi War, while the losers become replacements for anyone who can't make the WiFi War.
Ooh, ooh! I'm thinking if, in a 4 v 4 match, 1 of the non-Links doesn't make it, we'll have one of us sub in for the opposing team. That way, it'll even help out our 'Teaming with Link' thread by keeping that match as reference.

What say?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
uhh how would that help with teaming?

I think hes talking about 1v1s with 4 people on each side. Not 2v2s.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Would it be required to be only Link or can we use other mains or secondaries. Because that would be kind of crazy. I can imagine the **** Kirby or someone else could give to all Link's and it could just be totally 1 sided.
I think it's best that we stick to Link since we are the Link boards. It'll be good matchup experience, and this really isn't about winning. It's about having fun and getting to know some of the other boards. :)

Ooh, ooh! I'm thinking if, in a 4 v 4 match, 1 of the non-Links doesn't make it, we'll have one of us sub in for the opposing team. That way, it'll even help out our 'Teaming with Link' thread by keeping that match as reference.

What say?
I think your thinking more with teams.

The idea is to have a Crew Battle: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Crew_battle

Anyways, what character boards are you guys interested in battling against?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
one of the active ones hopefully. Maybe start off with a match up that isn't completely terrible like a 50-50 or 40-60. So us Link players wont be completely put off by the idea from a complete destruction.

Maybe Pit? lol So i can choose either side to play on.

Fun and random like Pokemon Trainer.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Actually, I like playing Zelda (both as her and against her). The biggest problem I have with her is it's harder to pull mindgames with her and to craft a unique style since she's a more linear character.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

Don't apologize, Scabe. It was my bad.

I did NOT work the South Africa Trip into my plans for this tournament. I'll be redoing the power rankings and releasing the date ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE to ensure that I'll be available.

Link Boards vs Ganon Boards.

Garuena

Smash Rookie
Count me in, I'm a novice Link user, but I could learn tons being a part of this!

Brawl FC: 0474-3462-6125, South Ontario, GMT-5 (EST)

Garuena

Smash Rookie
Huggles and myself.

And hey Garuena I hope I get to play you one day :)
Me too, X3 I'm not the best, but I think I could stand up against anyone here, only recently got back into brawl, so my skills with Link have dropped, not alot though. ;)

Perhaps sometime in the morning, 1:40AM at the moment here. :<

Ryos4

Smash Lord
We can try later. East coast vs Hawaii can go either way in terms of lag. Depending on how good your net is.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
You should check out (usually empty) chatroom. It's usually a good place to hang/set up WiFi battles. It's in the first post of this thread. :)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Zelda....

I hate you all.

Lol.

Also would that allow them to change into Sheik during battle or would that be banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom