• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Matchups - Someone who knows what's he's talking about

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I hated it when people simply use their best friends as examples instead of actual good players.

Trevyn says Link beats Samus and he beat HugS, I think that's good enough >.>
You can't say that we are not "actual good players" for you have not fought me or my friend. IMO if you want to be good at this game you need hardcore players to play against and going to many large tournaments, such as MLG, and winning is the best way to prove you are good but not everyone is allowed to do that. You can't really prove anything like skill over the internet. Videos do not prove anything nor am I trying to prove that we are in fact good but IMO from all the years, games, tons people I have played, I believe we are pretty good and I was just saying that I don't believe that Link has a "Strong Upper Hand" over Samus. I also believe that playing against the same person for 6+ years tends to make our matches on much more of a higher level of Link vs Samus then playing some random person in a tournament no matter how good they are or you are. If you don't like my post, that is fine.

FlipX

Smash Ace
You can't say that we are not "actual good players" for you have not fought me or my friend. IMO if you want to be good at this game you need hardcore players to play against and going to many large tournaments, such as MLG, and winning is the best way to prove you are good but not everyone is allowed to do that. You can't really prove anything like skill over the internet. Videos do not prove anything nor am I trying to prove that we are in fact good but IMO from all the years, games, tons people I have played, I believe we are pretty good and I was just saying that I don't believe that Link has a "Strong Upper Hand" over Samus. I also believe that playing against the same person for 6+ years tends to make our matches on much more of a higher level of Link vs Samus then playing some random person in a tournament no matter how good they are or you are. If you don't like my post, that is fine.
In you defense Aeramis it is true he can not say you are bad because he has never played you. However he can say you are not pro which is true. Also just because you have played with someone for 6 years doesnt make it a better game. It just means it is more predictable. You and your friend probably do not play either of your characters to their highest extent. So for all you know one of you is far better than the other and the only reason the matches are close are because one of you is getting countered character wise.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
In you defense Aeramis it is true he can not say you are bad because he has never played you. However he can say you are not pro which is true. Also just because you have played with someone for 6 years doesnt make it a better game. It just means it is more predictable. You and your friend probably do not play either of your characters to their highest extent. So for all you know one of you is far better than the other and the only reason the matches are close are because one of you is getting countered character wise.
True and thanks for your reply but we do play all characters not just Link and Samus. We also study this game and test as many possible things to do with every characters as we can along with what everyone else finds out on the web. Over 50% of our matches are Samus vs Link. We know each others playing style very well so we adapt and change for the better over time trying to push the limits of the characters we play and then some. IMO We can perform most all normal moves/combos and advanced tactics very well and make use of most of them in our styles to be the best we can. IMO We also use mindgames vs each other very well but mindgames effect every person differently which is what makes most pros very good because they have had so much experience with so many skilled people along with almost perfect tech skill. Ice Climbers are probably our weakest char in skill, mindgames, and tech with all the possible things you can do with them. I don't think anyone can play characters perfectly because we are human, so no we can't play our characters to the highest extent that can be played and we are not pros because we don't get paid to play.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
the fact that you've played eachother for so long just makes your opinion on the match up less accurate. this is someone you've played ALOT, for an extensive amount of time; you should know each other's styles inside and out. that just makes the matches closer than they would be otherwise.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
the fact that you've played eachother for so long just makes your opinion on the match up less accurate. this is someone you've played ALOT, for an extensive amount of time; you should know each other's styles inside and out. that just makes the matches closer than they would be otherwise.
But isn't that all part of playing one character to its best against another character which is the point of this matchup list reguardless. Unless this matchup list is for people that play other random people that have never played each other which only happens one time then you have played them and would know about their style of play which makes all post about pros playing pros that have played each other before have pointless opinions about this matchup list? I don't think so. It is all about what the character is able to do vs the other character to the max known, right? Such as Link vs Samus.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
nice run-on sentence.

yes, the tier list takes into account the meta-game, where both characters are played to the best humanly possible. are you saying you're the best link, and your friend is the samus? no offense, but your record doesn't impress me much.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
yes, the tier list takes into account the meta-game, where both characters are played to the best humanly possible. are you saying you're the best link, and your friend is the samus? no offense, but your record doesn't impress me much.
No but I am good enough to put in my own opinion on the matter and debate that. Do you think the person that created this matchup list is the best in the whole world with all characters? I highly doubt that. :ohwell:

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
I think what the people above you are addressing is the validity of your input, dude. True, you can put in your own opinion about the matter, but the question is whether your input really has much truth and evidence behind it. Using your best friend is good evidence, but as a lot of people have pointed out, it also weakens your view on the effectiveness of Link, for all the reasons stated before.

Now, I'm not trying to discount your experience in the game, but you need to realize (just as I have) that in order to really know the game, you need to fight ppl other than your friend...especially for a character like Link.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Here's some advice, (even though it has probably been brought up) I give a peak performance for whatever reason with Link in his white outfit. I don't know why, I just do against any opponent. Case in point, try adjusting to a favorite color. Now in tournament play, break this habit in half & practice in various colors!

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I think what the people above you are addressing is the validity of your input, dude. True, you can put in your own opinion about the matter, but the question is whether your input really has much truth and evidence behind it. Using your best friend is good evidence, but as a lot of people have pointed out, it also weakens your view on the effectiveness of Link, for all the reasons stated before.

Now, I'm not trying to discount your experience in the game, but you need to realize (just as I have) that in order to really know the game, you need to fight ppl other than your friend...especially for a character like Link.
tons people I have played,
I agree with what you said but I have played tons people as stated in my other post. Although, I might not have played people at the level of ken ect.. It is true that best player I know in person would be my friend or myself but I have seen alot of videos of MLG matches and know what alot of pros do in most of their matches. I know what alot of people think when they see someone post, that has under 100 post, and say something along the lines of "I think I am pretty good." because I have been using this website for alot longer then when I signed up (I found this website in 2004). They think, "LOL another noob who thinks he is good. Let me enlighten them that they suck big time cause I have not seen them at offical tournaments winning or getting tons of rep on this website by posting over so many post, like 5000, or making guides ect.". That is what I have seen many people who think they are elite do to so-called noobs. Most of the time it IS just some kid that says, "Me and my brother are gods at this game." and doesn't have a clue how far you have to go to be good in this game but I am not one of them. ;)

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
I agree with what you said but I have played tons people as stated in my other post. Although, I might not have played people at the level of ken ect.. It is true that best player I know in person would be my friend or myself but I have seen alot of videos of MLG matches and know what alot of pros do in most of their matches. I know what alot of people think when they see someone post, that has under 100 post, and say something along the lines of "I think I am pretty good." because I have been using this website for alot longer then when I signed up (I found this website in 2004). They think, "LOL another noob who thinks he is good. Let me enlighten them that they suck big time cause I have not seen them at offical tournaments winning or getting tons of rep on this website by posting over so many post, like 5000, or making guides ect.". That is what I have seen many people who think they are elite do to so-called noobs. Most of the time it IS just some kid that says, "Me and my brother are gods at this game." and doesn't have a clue how far you have to go to be good in this game but I am not one of them. ;)
Point taken. Good post.

Mr.C

Smash Master
having tons of experience against your friend whether u know advanced techniques still means nothing

youd still get 3-4 stocked by a good player

im not saying you suck, but professionals are on a completely different level then what your on.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
having tons of experience against your friend whether u know advanced techniques still means nothing

youd still get 3-4 stocked by a good player

im not saying you suck, but professionals are on a completely different level then what your on.
And you would know this, for 100% sure, that I would get 3-4 stocked by "a good player" because...? Did you even read the past posts in this topic?

Your post is meaningless and has no proof behind what it says because you don't know me, my friend, what we can do, or who we have played. Your just repeating what NJzfinest said really. What can "a good player" do that makes them so good if you even know? Also, if you know what "a good player" is then do you consider yourself "a good player"? You can use this example to tell me what "a good player" would do differently vs an unknown player if you want: 4 Stock, Dreamland, 8 minute timer, no items, singles match, ditto match, any char will do, use alot of detail. That is, if you feel like backing up your post with alittle thing called logic but I'm betting you can't because the whole point is that the other player is offically "unknown" and is impossible to label as such. And if your saying that your only definement of "a good player" is "professionals" then that is only an opinion, not a fact. If that is the case, then, you must think everyone not paided to play Smash Brothers Melee on this website is not allowed to call themselves "a good player". With 2,517 posts I would think you could come up with something abit better then that? :ohwell:

Aesir

Smash Master
hes using logic, how long have you been playing the game competitively? 5 months? so you're saying with 5 months experience you can take on someone with say 2 years experience I'm not talking about pros either I'm talking about normal tourney goers

Aeramis

Smash Ace
hes using logic, how long have you been playing the game competitively? 5 months? so you're saying with 5 months experience you can take on someone with say 2 years experience I'm not talking about pros either I'm talking about normal tourney goers
Well that would be 5 years ago when I did my first and only tournament so far. I find it hard to believe that only people that go to tournaments all the time can consider themself good... So unless I went to tournaments/biweeklys normally, I can't beat any pro ever no matter how good I am? I wonder if it works that way in basketball too? Like people that play in the streets but haven't been able to try out for the NBA. The word "competitively" can mean to take something very serious which is what I have been doing for a very along time.

Good players do whatever is right in each situation. They read worse players and counter their styles.
Very true.

FlipX

Smash Ace
Yes actually it kind of is the same for basketball. You might have a good shot or can dribble well, but if your only playing against random people who dont matter and aren't good then when you get to the NBA you will be overwhelmed. You won't even be able to get a shot off if you haven't ever competed with someone of NBA calibur. Sure you might to be able to go 10/10 from the line,but when the other team doesn't let you shoot it doesn't matter. So ya same goes for smash.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Yes actually it kind of is the same for basketball. You might have a good shot or can dribble well, but if your only playing against random people who dont matter and aren't good then when you get to the NBA you will be overwhelmed. You won't even be able to get a shot off if you haven't ever competed with someone of NBA calibur. Sure you might to be able to go 10/10 from the line,but when the other team doesn't let you shoot it doesn't matter. So ya same goes for smash.
I can see what you are saying but my friend is just as good as me, has also been playing 7 years, and atleast 5 seriously. I know for a fact if I didn't have him to play against all these years and the drive to be better, I wouldn't be anywhere at all as good as I am today. Same goes for him. As I already said, to be good you need good players to play against which is also true in basketball.

Edit: I noticed you have a Dragonball Z avatar. You can look at it like Goku and Vegeta with them always trying to be better then the other by any means they could. Not that Dragonball Z has anything to do with SSBM but just an example of competitive drive.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
people need to start recognizing the new players with twisted logic who won't listen to reason.

bottom line: you say you're good. nobody really cares, or believes you, and they won't until you prove it with something besides words. go to an actual noteworthy tournament and win, or go beat ken or something.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
people need to start recognizing the new players with twisted logic who won't listen to reason.

bottom line: you say you're good. nobody really cares, or believes you, and they won't until you prove it with something besides words. go to an actual noteworthy tournament and win, or go beat ken or something.
Aight, i agree with all of the things you said, except at the end, beating Ken doesn't really matter, i mean like he is the best in the world... but beating him doesn't matter because winning once againt's ken isn't important, beating him 10 times in a row, now that matters. lol i am so sry saying the word "beating" too much.. it's just it me for some reason. :laugh:

Aeramis

Smash Ace

New players? 7 years seems abit long for the word "new"... I also already said...

going to many large tournaments, such as MLG, and winning is the best way to prove you are good but not everyone is allowed to do that. You can't really prove anything like skill over the internet. Videos do not prove anything nor am I trying to prove that we are in fact good but IMO from all the years, games, tons people I have played, I believe we are pretty good and I was just saying that I don't believe that Link has a "Strong Upper Hand" over Samus. I also believe that playing against the same person for 6+ years tends to make our matches on much more of a higher level of Link vs Samus then playing some random person in a tournament no matter how good they are or you are. If you don't like my post, that is fine.
So whatever, I could care less what you think about me or my posts. Just don't post anymore about me on this topic... I already gave my opinion. Now it seems people on this topic just want to test how much my opinion matters which is fine with me but atleast read the whole topic before posting. ;)

FlipX

Smash Ace
Aeramis- No one will believe you are good with out proof so stop arguing that because it will only get you yelled at. Where do you live at (no im not a stalker =P) so you could like play someone with known skill, that way you could prove you are a good player, or just some random person here in the link forums who thinks you suck =)

SLH

Smash Journeyman
Aight, i agree with all of the things you said, except at the end, beating Ken doesn't really matter, i mean like he is the best in the world... but beating him doesn't matter because winning once againt's ken isn't important, beating him 10 times in a row, now that matters. lol i am so sry saying the word "beating" too much.. it's just it me for some reason. :laugh:
it's just an expression people on the boards use alot... lol, you've never seen someone say that before?

aeramis - really, stop being a pompous douche. if you can't prove you're good, nobody will give a **** about you opinion. ever. this thread was started by someone with experience against multiple people, not just his friend and him screwing around.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
aeramis - really, stop being a pompous douche. if you can't prove you're good, nobody will give a **** about you opinion. ever. this thread was started by someone with experience against multiple people, not just his friend and him screwing around.
You don't read very well do you? I said I am not trying to >>>>PROVE<<<< I am infact good... simply that >>>>I BELIEVE<<<< I am good. Reguardless of what you think >>>>I DON'T CARE.<<<< I read all of your last post before you edited it and yes that was directed towards me... I am guessing from your past posts that since you said, "if you can't prove you're good, nobody will give a **** about you opinion. ever.", you have proved your good? If so, give me proof. If not, with your logic, your opinion is null and doesn't matter for any post you have ever said to anyone. Well how about that. Stop while your behind. :chuckle:

El_LoVo

Smash Ace
You don't read very well do you? I said I am not trying to >>>>PROVE<<<< I am infact good... simply that >>>>I BELIEVE<<<< I am good. Reguardless of what you think >>>>I DON'T CARE.<<<< I read all of your last post before you edited it and yes that was directed towards me... I am guessing from your past posts that since you said, "if you can't prove you're good, nobody will give a **** about you opinion. ever.", you have proved your good? If so, give me proof. If not, with your logic, your opinion is null and doesn't matter for any post you have ever said to anyone. Well how about that. Stop while your behind. :chuckle:
That's a john man.

No johns

anyways, whether you think you are good or not doesn't matter cuz if these guys don't think you're good, then they won't listen your opinion on the link vs samus matchup.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
beating fox players with link reguraly is all the proof i need for me to know i'm good.

of course, that's not actual proof. then again, i don't care. you have every right to ignore my opinion just like i'm ignoring yours.

honestly, don't go around saying "i have 7 years of experience so you should listen to me", then write it off as not trying to convince people you're good.

P.S. wtf, i edited for a reason. i misread your post, so i changed it, don't be a ****

Aeramis

Smash Ace
That's a john man.

No johns

anyways, whether you think you are good or not doesn't matter cuz if these guys don't think you're good, then they won't listen your opinion on the link vs samus matchup.
Yeah, I know. Also, a "john" or "johns" is a complaint about something, right? (Example: The sun was in my eyes. That is why I lost that match.) So how is the way I used, "I don't care." a john? If anything, all SLH has done is try to jone on me instead of giving good reasons to discredit what I said. Anyway, I am done with this topic as long as I don't get a reply aimed towards me which I probably will.

Mr.C

Smash Master
well sir ive played with the best of the best for about 4-5 years

im a top player in texas and i know how to play the game competively

I cant tell you how many people who think they are "good" because they have played several years and know how to use advanced techs myself and other pros have 3-4 stocked
I cant even tell you how many people ive made quit the game because of that.... but its alot

your not even close to the calibur pro smashers are in.

learning how to play smash is easy anyone can practice for a month get up technical skill and learn all the advanced techniques

but to be pro you have to have professional tournament experience, vs professionals.

plain and simple.

"JOHN" in smash can mean alot of things

since ive been friends with the people who created the word "JOHN" ive heard it used for several things most of the time for jokes.

person 1 : your gay , no johns.
person 2 : =[

-------

person 1 : i shoulda bought a bigmac insted of the chicken nuggets
person 2 : no johns

------------

person 1 : your mother
person 2 : no johns

etcetc

Aeramis

Smash Ace
To Mr.C-Thank you for that useful post.
I'm not a "Pro" but that doesn't mean I can't whoop up on one >possibly< other then that I agree with what you said.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
last post in this topic

it was a john because saying you don't care is an excuse to not prove that you're good.

on samus vs. link

-link is one of the few characters who can edgeguard samus well
-link can get some very nice juggles/combos on her
-he can get vertical kills on her
-projectiles **** samus up
-link ***** floaty characters in general because of projectile setups
-unlike missles, link's projectiles can be used for controlling where your opponent goes, and are better when being used for predicting your opponent's movements. samus' missles are linear, and really only cover very limited space: jumping height, and ground height. if you stay grounded, all you have to do is stand there and reflect them
-uair cuts throught bombs, stopping one of samus' best options when coming down from high up

Top Bottom