• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Jab Cancel Death Combo

Angry Guy of DE

Smash Rookie
Brace yourself for people trying to pick up Link as a sub for counterpicking...

To then realize that Link still has trouble with most of the high tiers and then never get to attempt said loop to kill.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Just to note, I believe Greninja is probably the only character that can escape this combo reliably due to the fact that he can use Shadow Sneak to cancel hitstun and either get out of jab range or hit Link out of it.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919

To then realize that Link still has trouble with most of the high tiers and then never get to attempt said loop to kill.
His custom moves, tho

If we get those legalized, he's going to become so much better. I have two builds that I use to pocket him with, both with the Power Bow & Meteor Bombs, one with the old-school boomerang, and the other with the Ripping Boomerang & Shocking Spin (which I'm surprised isn't the Great Spin from Twilight Princess).

Speaking of moves from TP, just as a side-note, I'm surprised Link's back throw wasn't changed to the Helm Splitter (like in Brawl Minus) with the Jump Attack becoming his new dash attack, and the backflip becoming his new backwards roll. Would have added even more authenticity to him. *shrugs*

Makorel

Smash Apprentice

How hard could it be to land a jab?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
It's honestly not as crazy as people think it is. I'm yet to find out the actual range that this thing works until, but I think it only detrimentally affects a handful of characters, the rest get off easy enough, similar to getting caught in X character's U-tilt chain (in many cases much less than that even with the combo finisher not being a Jab).

Whoever said this was an infinite or that it works in all cases until kill percent doesn't know what they're talking about.

Last edited:

SaintChairface

Smash Cadet
It's not like that at all. It's not even an infinite. Read the previous posts.
It doesn't necessarily need to be exacting or literal. When naming things one must consider the connections the name draws and a game's pedigree or legacy. That said, I would think it wise to avoid association with chain grabbing, but I really like the sound of "Wobble Jab"

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Lol Ive been doing this since like two weeks after the game for Wii U released. Its actually quite good and you can use two jabs on certain character. Pretty solid skill. I was hoping people didn't figure it out until i had a chance to go to a Major tournament :(

Also there are some Japanese players that are already doing this too. And other characters that can do something similar. Fox comes to mind.

Anyway hopefully this will make more people main Link ;)
A: I highly doubt you are telling any truth in this post.
B: I will assume otherwise and just leave you be.

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
I mean pretty much every Link main knew about this to a certain extent. Jab cancel to other is like a bread and butter technique for Link. I think the possibility of a jab to jab to jab to jab to jab to jab to- was kinda hard to believe so no one really tried it out. It was an oversight on all our parts.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I mean pretty much every Link main knew about this to a certain extent. Jab cancel to other is like a bread and butter technique for Link. I think the possibility of a jab to jab to jab to jab to jab to jab to- was kinda hard to believe so no one really tried it out. It was an oversight on all our parts.
I can believe that, yeah.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm gonna see when it stops working on zard or at least is easier for him to get out if possible and the others that start early on that list.

I'd really like to avoid that being a thing that wrecks them if possible.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
A thought.

In order for this to work, Link has to position himself so the blade either hits at the center, or at the edge. The edge pulls him in, and the center lowers this effect. Hitting at the base of the blade/hilt makes characters slide out of the jab.

Is it possible for a character to DI into Link and get hit by the hitbox that makes them slide outward?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It is impossible to DI attacks that don't send you into tumble in Smash 4 (and Brawl), so, no.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure SDI still exists though not to the capacity it had in Brawl.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure SDI still exists though not to the capacity it had in Brawl.
An extreme example, but it definitely does.

I'm less sure about how it would apply to Link's jab, but it does have an SDI multiplier of 1.0 still so eh

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm gonna see when it stops working on zard or at least is easier for him to get out if possible and the others that start early on that list.
Rock Hurl has frame 1 super armor, yes?

Is that enough to escape the jab in a customs-on match?

Skylit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skylit
For those people wondering why us Link mains haven't discovered this yet; we already did last year.

It's a secret to everyone.
Lol Ive been doing this since like two weeks after the game for Wii U released. Its actually quite good and you can use two jabs on certain character. Pretty solid skill. I was hoping people didn't figure it out until i had a chance to go to a Major tournament :(
Yes, it has been a secret for us Link mains. I started doing this since the 3DS days, but people are seriously over reacting to this.

From my experience, my opponents have always found a way to escape it(except for beginners). It becomes a true combo around 120 percent, which is redundant because you're at kill percent. Even then, you can get about 14 jabs in with precise timing. Though only a small amount of characters can get locked in at certain percents, landing the jab with the exact spacing in an actual match will be bothersome. Plus, they may be able to slowly escape by repeatedly jumping in the opposite direction. You will only get multiple jabs to death combos on rookies, not pros.

I've been working super hard on a Link Combo video the past month and this was a big highlight of it. Kinda mad it got out to the public but oh well lol. You guys haven't seen anything yet, Link is a really good character and I can't wait to showcase him soon.

Last edited:

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
This isn't as great as everyone thinks.. It pretty much only works at kill percents. At that point it would be dumb to do anything other than a jab - smash combo.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If it works on Diddy at 40%, I'm pretty sure that alone will make it massively useful. There are a lot of characters that it works at completely reasonable percents on.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Guess who's been getting away with jab bullcrap like this without even having to crouch cancel for a while now in this meta?

Seriously, it's absolutely easy to do this with Fox. On the other hand, less characters get truly trapped than what seems to be with Link.

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
It seems to me like this is just wobbling, but with an even less viable character (sorry, Link mains). It will certainly revolutionize Link's playstyle, but I don't think it will change the whole metagame as drastically as everyone seems to think.

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
I don't think this kind of exploit is going to make Sm4sh's reputation any better, it's pretty much Brawl's chaingrabs.
Have you played Melee before?

It's as situational as a Jab (Since it IS a Jab) which is not very situational? Swiping wouldn't be very situational. I believe you can grab+pummel release and be able to start it, however, this may not be true.

Potential names:
Swiping
Rolling

Any other ideas?
Guaranteed on Villager, Duck Hunt Duo and Ness. I wonder if it leads into the infinite as jabbing or grabbing are both easily obtained, though these MUs are super duper campy.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yes, it has been a secret for us Link mains. I started doing this since the 3DS days, but people are seriously over reacting to this.

From my experience, my opponents have always found a way to escape it(except for beginners). It becomes a true combo around 120 percent, which is redundant because you're at kill percent. Even then, you can get about 14 jabs in with precise timing. Though only a small amount of characters can get locked in at certain percents, landing the jab with the exact spacing in an actual match will be bothersome. Plus, they may be able to slowly escape by repeatedly jumping in the opposite direction. You will only get multiple jabs to death combos on rookies, not pros.
You don't know what you're talking about. The combo counter in training should not be used for stuff like this. Landing a Jab is not bothersome. You cannot Jump. The effectiveness of this tech relies almost entirely upon the player executing it and the character it is being executed on (their percent being a factor is a given).

This isn't as great as everyone thinks.. It pretty much only works at kill percents. At that point it would be dumb to do anything other than a jab - smash combo.
This is incorrect. It works at very low percents just fine on some characters.

It seems to me like this is just wobbling, but with an even less viable character (sorry, Link mains). It will certainly revolutionize Link's playstyle, but I don't think it will change the whole metagame as drastically as everyone seems to think.
Last time I checked we weren't talking about Brawl Link.

Guaranteed on Villager, Duck Hunt Duo and Ness. I wonder if it leads into the infinite as jabbing or grabbing are both easily obtained, though these MUs are super duper campy.
I have no idea what you're talking about with those three characters. If you were saying that they can be Grab released to Jabbed, which is what I think you were saying, this would be wrong. If you were saying that the Jab chain works on these three characters, you would be wrong as DHD's can makes it pretty much useless.
And most importantly, this is not an infinite. On any character. Ever.

@Everyone: Stop calling it an infinite.

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
Test it yourself, those 3 characters can be grab-released to a jab. The other 2 suffer from the same grab release issues Ness and Lucas suffered from in Brawl.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Test it yourself, those 3 characters can be jab released to a grab. The other 2 suffer from the same grab release issues Ness and Lucas suffered from in Brawl.
Now you're making even less sense. Jab released to a Grab? I'll assume you meant Grab released to a Jab. And the answer is still no. Link cannot Jab them after a Grab release. They shield well before the Jab hits. This isn't open for discussion any further. Don't expect any more replies.

Last edited:

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
What exactly makes him bad? Every just assumes he's the same old bottom tier link he was in brawl, but he's actually solid now, jab trap or no. You should really give him a chance

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
Now you're making even less sense. Jab released to a Grab? I'll assume you meant Grab released to a Jab. And the answer is still no. Link cannot Jab them after a Grab release. They shield well before the Jab hits. This isn't open for discussion any further. Don't expect any more replies.
Can you please post a video of it not hitting? Cause Ganondorf can spartan kick those 3 characters after a ground release, it registers in training as a combo and I'm pretty sure it's not as fast startup as Link's jab1.

Edit: OK, despite being too lazy to do this myself my Wii U is on and I'm in training lel.

On Ness it registers as a combo
On Villager it registers as a combo
On DHD it registers as a combo, but for some reason Link seems to go all buggery when pummeling him? Also the second hit of the jab combo misses, so I don't think Linky boy can re-jab the dog after.

Edit 2: You can grab, release, jab the dog, and cancel into more jabs.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
No character in the game has a standing grab release combo on any other character in the game.

The grab release victim always has a frame advantage, including all 3 of the characters you listed against Link.

You cannot jab someone out of a grab release, period. It's actually not even close.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Also, about Fox's jab lock, I don't think the crouch is needed with him. I have tried testing it by holding down-away at the "3 ticks from 8 o'clock" position, but doesn't seem to make a difference, seems to be 20 frames difference in between with both methods. So there's no difference between tapping A -> A or doing this while cancelling the jab with crouch. It might just be that I'm not fast enough though: I'd appreciate someone helping me out.

It is worth noting that if you hit with the jab while your opponent is close to Fox's body, they'll just get knocked behind him as well. While this is obviously not going to trap them into another jab, it can lead into U-tilt, which is guaranteed anyways (U-tilt comes out in frame 5 iirc) on anyone who's not a fast-faller who can shield or floaty enough to jump away.

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Interesting! Even more interesting is that something as big as this wasn't found before

Also, jab cancels are easier to do by holding the analogue stick in an "3 ticks past 8" position (assuming you're facing right). You're crouching, but the position of the stick lets you jab rather than DTilt or turnaround FTilt. No need to repeatedly hit down to crouch and risk a DSmash/DTilt.
Does this work with megaman? because he walks while jabbing.

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
No character in the game has a standing grab release combo on any other character in the game.

The grab release victim always has a frame advantage, including all 3 of the characters you listed against Link.

You cannot jab someone out of a grab release, period. It's actually not even close.
Yoshi can jab after a grab release I believe..

Top Bottom